Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

It's mostly interesting as a backdrop. Overarching reasons why particular cities are hotbeds of shadow work, like the DMZ in Chicago after the bug spirit invasion, or the war in Azatlan.

so it's pointless. big cities are a hotbed of corporate and criminal activity? :monocle: you don't say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Fun to read about but difficult to use in play sure sounds like rpg background material.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yet another thing in Fragged Empire's favor - your ship is to at least some degree treated as another character, rather then a piece of gear.

Although it fucks up a little bit because you have space-ship stuff currency (Influence) that is usually pooled among the party to buy a space-ship, but your maximum Influence is limited by your level. It's entirely possible that you can't afford a space-ship for quite some time- you could only afford a bare-bones ship at character creation if you had 5 PCs and everyone was playing the Corp, the rich capitalist race.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Darwinism posted:

How much of a clusterfuck is Starfinder space combat? From the stuff I saw before it's eerily reminiscent of Starships of the Galaxy, which younger me loved for how nitpicky it was but older me knows was a pile of hot garbage made of the worst kind of charop.

If you want to play a crunchy RPG with SPAAAAAACESHIPS, just play Rogue Trader. The ship rules are surprisingly good, players aren't locked into singular roles and can do things as needed, and your crew is amazingly important when it comes to getting poo poo done.

Plus, with the ship creation rules that come in the core book (supplements related to ships are actually Quite Good), the ship itself is a character that you can outfit with cool gear. Like the Auto-Temple. Which allows you to more or less orbitally bombard a planet with churches.

What's more is that you don't even have to play RT like a 40k game. Of all the 40k RPGs out there, it's the one that you need the least understanding of the 40k universe to play and you can gradually introduce elements of it to people as needed.

Dec 26, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Although it fucks up a little bit because you have space-ship stuff currency (Influence) that is usually pooled among the party to buy a space-ship, but your maximum Influence is limited by your level. It's entirely possible that you can't afford a space-ship for quite some time- you could only afford a bare-bones ship at character creation if you had 5 PCs and everyone was playing the Corp, the rich capitalist race.

A couple of traits can reduce cost, most notably Hunk of Junk and Corporate Crap. A 4-PC party with one of them being Corp or a 5-PC non-Corp party can afford one at level 1 with just Hunk of Junk because it reduces bare-bones ship cost to 5 influence (10 + 5 for trait - 10 because of the trait) and if I understand how it works Corporate Crap actually makes a barebones ship 0-influence because it offsets itself (assuming you use the extra Trait to get Hunk of Junk).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Darwinism posted:

How much of a clusterfuck is Starfinder space combat? From the stuff I saw before it's eerily reminiscent of Starships of the Galaxy, which younger me loved for how nitpicky it was but older me knows was a pile of hot garbage made of the worst kind of charop.

It's got the 3e Truenamer problem where the DCs for starship-related skill checks scale up faster than your starship-related skills, so it's harder to do a routine task at level 10 than it is at level 1.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
And may in fact be impossible for some of them around level 17-20, because there's also at least one section that implies you don't get your class bonuses to skills for starship actions unless they specifically call it out.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

LuiCypher posted:

If you want to play a crunchy RPG with SPAAAAAACESHIPS, just play Rogue Trader. The ship rules are surprisingly good, players aren't locked into singular roles and can do things as needed, and your crew is amazingly important when it comes to getting poo poo done.

Plus, with the ship creation rules that come in the core book (supplements related to ships are actually Quite Good), the ship itself is a character that you can outfit with cool gear. Like the Auto-Temple. Which allows you to more or less orbitally bombard a planet with churches.

What's more is that you don't even have to play RT like a 40k game. Of all the 40k RPGs out there, it's the one that you need the least understanding of the 40k universe to play and you can gradually introduce elements of it to people as needed.

As long as no one tries to play an Arch Militant, everything should work out fine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

EverettLO posted:

As long as no one tries to play an Arch Militant, everything should work out fine.

What is wrong with Arch-Militant?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

ShadowRun: Anarchy was Catalyst's attempt to cash in on the storygamey, rules-light "adjectives as stats" thing FATE was doing, and it really comes close. It has its faults, but having run it (and as a con game no less), I would never ever ever go back to any version of ShadowRun prime.

Anarchy is OK. A better idea would be making a new system for SR based on the player-facing bits of SR:Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong.

That's on my "one day..." pile, since I couldn't sell it but it's pretty much the only thing that would make me consider playing Shadowrun again.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

LuiCypher posted:

I love me some Rogue Trader and own most of the line, but the system is full of trap options, fake choices, and the occasional subsystem that just doesn't work. I don't think it holds up unless you really like the premise and FFG's particular take on the setting.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Probably because while other classes have some thing that they can do really well on the ship, in combat, and in a social setting Arch-Militants... suffer from being Rogue Trader's equivalent of a fighter and just shoot/hit things well.

Granted, while there's some applicability for good shooting and fighting skills in ship combat, they're not very exciting when you can be:
*A member of the Adeptus Mechanicus who's likely gone quite a bit off the beaten path.
*A missionary for the Ecclesiarchy who just wants to watch the heathens burn.
*A psyker who's had their eyes burned out just from looking at the Emperor in the Warp, but can now function as a human two-way radio across the entire universe.
*A battle-butler who's just as good at spreadsheets as they are at sneaking around, gathering vital information, and having a quick wit with a blade.

...And several more!

LeSquide posted:

I love me some Rogue Trader and own most of the line, but the system is full of trap options, fake choices, and the occasional subsystem that just doesn't work. I don't think it holds up unless you really like the premise and FFG's particular take on the setting.

And the aforementioned Arch-Militant is one of the trap options, in my opinion.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I dunno about how other people's games went, but in my game the Arch Militant was basically useless in ship combat which ended up being a fairly large part of the game. Beyond that, many of the conflicts were solved with clever lies and swindles which left the main purpose of the arch-militant unused, and even in pure combat the rest of the crew gets good enough weaponry to make it so the arch-militant isn't able to completely outshine the rest of the crew. It just feels like the role is very narrowly defined and even in that role he's not utterly dominant thanks to the importance of expensive gear.

Eventually we got a contingent of Space Marines on board and one of them (using Deathwatch rules) acted as the ship's arch-militant. He was sufficiently dominant at squad level combat to make the role feel worthwhile.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Over the weekend, Avery Alder sent out a Kickstarter update to Monsterhearts 2 backers with a lengthy description "the expenses and nitty-gritty details of fulfilling [Monsterhearts 2]" which seems like it would be relevant here. She sent it out to 2,400 backers and nothing in the post makes me think she wants it to be exclusive to them - in fact, I get the opposite impression - so I've copied it here to provide some hard data on what the finances of a well-run crowdfunding campaign looks like.

Avery Alder posted:

Hey backers,

A final update! This is a post about the expenses and nitty-gritty details of fulfilling this kickstarter project. If you aren't curious about the business side of things then feel free to skip! But if you want to learn more about how funds from a project like this get spent, and the work that goes into finishing it, read on! I'm writing this to share knowledge with other creators and to increase transparency.

Goals & Context

I want to state upfront: game design is my primary source of income. It's how I pay bills and feed my family. For a number of reasons (chronic illness, mental illness, young children to take care of, regular human limits), I'm not able to do this while also holding down a regular job. So! I sought to make money through this kickstarter, enough to live comfortably while making it.

I've been designing games for a decade, and in that time have learned how to dodge some pitfalls. From bloated crowdfunding campaigns that were exhausting to fulfill, to games released without fanfare that failed to gain an audience, I've slowly been learning what works. For Monsterhearts 2, my stretch goals had a predictable fixed cost, and were only delivered digitally. I used existing art assets throughout the book, adding a few more pieces as I went. I did my own graphic design and interior art. I kept add-ons and upgrade options to a minimum, because kickstarter fulfillment can easily become a full-time gig if you're not careful. I paid attention to my time and energy limits, and tried not to overwork myself. All these factors helped keep the campaign focused, manageable, and financially viable.

But on the business end of things, making money wasn't my only goal! I wanted to act in accordance with my ethics. That meant offering affordable copies to people living in poverty, as well as queer teenagers (because this is a game about queer teenagers). It meant finding a worker's cooperative to print the book. It meant paying diverse collaborators. It meant doing multiple rounds of structural editing, to ensure that this book was as accessible and teachable as possible. I feel generally successful in this domain.

Time

After the release of the first edition of Monsterhearts, I spent four years playing the game, chewing on how it could be improved, answering forum questions, and accepting feedback about play experiences. My brain is always wondering about how things could operate differently, and so throughout this time I would often imagine design tweaks that I could make.

I spent a few months doing market research, talking to other designers about the possibility of getting back into design, prototyping rules for asexuality, and making the decision to move forward on this project.

From August to December, I worked 40-70 hours a week: writing the text, doing dynamic structural editing with Daniel Wood, setting up the kickstarter, managing kickstarter engagement (very labour-intensive!), liaising with playtesters, incorporating playtest feedback, doing interviews, promoting the project, liaising with collaborators, and dealing with a large controversy that arose.

After that, there has been a steady stream of part-time work up until now: seeking quotes from a half-dozen printers, doing rewrites and working with my editor, continuing to clarify the text based on playtest feedback, laying out the book and all printable materials, supporting the "Experiencing Race" team in finishing their contribution, managing additional pre-orders, writing the "Dear Diary" supplemental zine for backers, getting the "Dear Diary" printed and shipped out, turning kickstarter backer reports into something my warehouse partners could work with, fulfilling all the hand-signed and individualized rewards, answering emails and kickstarter messages (I would estimate 1500+ related to this project so far), providing some design and project planning support to Jackson Tegu as he finishes Second Skins, and more.

At this point, the kickstarter fulfillment is essentially done. There are a few more bouncebacks to deal with, and two custom Skins to write. But otherwise, Monsterhearts 2 is entering regular upkeep mode. That looks like: 1-2 hours of weekly order fulfillment and other business chores, 1-3 hours of weekly email responses, 2-4 hours of interviews and promotion each month, participating in some public conversations, and running the game at occasional conventions.

Expenses

All of these figures are in Canadian dollars.

The kickstarter grossed $95,130.

Kickstarter and credit card processors take a cut, and so the amount actually deposited in my bank account was $85,287.59.

This kickstarter was the vast majority of my declared income for 2016, and for the year I had to pay $22,627.70 in taxes.

I paid $630 for new cover art.

I paid $920 for editing, primarily the back-and-forth process of structural editing. (I was a little blown away by this figure, but also exceptionally pleased with the results.)

I paid $1,673.64 for writing contributions, split between the Small Towns stretch goals and the Experiencing Race section.

During the kickstarter, there was a big controversy that emerged. It significantly affected my mental health and ability to write. I went on a three-day writing retreat, without internet access or distractions. This cost approximately $300.

I paid $9,718.89 to the printing company to print and freight the books. Note that I have a large number of remaining copies which I continue to sell. That means that this project continues to generate more revenue as I move forward.

I paid approximately $400 to print the "Dear Diary" zines and then ship them to the United States.

Monsterhearts 2 was shipped out by a fulfillment company who I work with. In total, shipping out the kickstarter rewards cost $18,319.07. I could have cut this figure down somewhat by working with additional printers and fulfillment partners in different regions of the world, but ultimately chose to not take on the additional work and stress of setting that up.

I've spent around $200 re-shipping copies to people who had bouncebacks and other shipping issues.

I've spent about $300 in other miscellaneous costs, including packaging and shipping the individualized and signed rewards.

In total, after expenses and taxes I was left with about $30,197.34 (or more, depending on how you want to make sense of the taxes). I'm also continuing to bring in more revenue from ongoing sales.

End-to-end, the process of designing, crowdfunding, producing, and releasing this new edition took thirteen months.

To Wrap Up

Hopefully this breakdown is useful or interesting to some other creators out there.

Monsterhearts 2 is my biggest initial release to date, and will likely be one of my most successful titles over time. It built on years of enthusiasm and feedback. And I wanted to unpack what that actually looks like, on my end. It doesn't look like making $95k in a month! But it does look like making an initial $30k for a year of work, plus an ongoing revenue stream.

I'm really proud of Monsterhearts 2. Thanks for joining me on this journey!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JFC she declared the entire amount of the kickstarter as income :negative:

e. I realize that's canada but I feel fairly confident in suggesting that Canada also has a tax structure for small businesses that lets them deduct expenses before figuring tax.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The small business can't pay her rent or buy her food. Eventually it becomes income unless she's letting it sit there to compound before withdrawing, and then it becomes income after that.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Leperflesh posted:

JFC she declared the entire amount of the kickstarter as income :negative:

e. I realize that's canada but I feel fairly confident in suggesting that Canada also has a tax structure for small businesses that lets them deduct expenses before figuring tax.

That's as may be but you can still fall foul of tax problems -- here in the UK I got stiffed by the taxman over Pigsmoke because the money came into my account before the end of the tax year but I didn't pay Jacqui for the art until after the end of the tax year, meaning I didn't have any notable expenses to declare. That was a brutal tax bill but between the over-funding and my day job I can live with it until next tax year when I'll be running a hefty loss and get some of it back.

And yes, there are ways and means to ameliorate that but a) they all add layers of complexity that I didn't want to deal with and b) like I said, between the over-funding and the day job it wasn't the end of the world. It's not a stretch to imagine Avery was in a similar frame of mind.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Subjunctive posted:

The small business can't pay her rent or buy her food. Eventually it becomes income unless she's letting it sit there to compound before withdrawing, and then it becomes income after that.

Yeah, it looks like she may not have set up an LLC-equivalent to let her pay herself wages and deduct business expenses. I don't know how the tax implications of that work out in the land of Maple and Ice, but I bet there were some accounting methods that could have reduced that burden.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just hiring a tax attorney for a few sessions would have helped.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If this calculator is to believed, Ms. Alder would have had a net tax liability of about $25000, absent any deductions. Her actual liability of 22k indicates that she deducted about $10,000. Either she missed some obvious deductions, or more likely (as potatocubed suggested) had a large portion of her expenses in a later fiscal year. She'll probably make back about ~$5000 in tax savings come next tax season.

Related protip: Get a decent tax accountant if you're even vaguely self-employed. It's not that much money for a lot of security.

Haystack fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 6, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, it looks like she may not have set up an LLC-equivalent to let her pay herself wages and deduct business expenses. I don't know how the tax implications of that work out in the land of Maple and Ice, but I bet there were some accounting methods that could have reduced that burden.

It's this. Your kickstarter money should never land in a personal bank account.

potatocubed posted:

a) they all add layers of complexity that I didn't want to deal with and b) like I said, between the over-funding and the day job it wasn't the end of the world. It's not a stretch to imagine Avery was in a similar frame of mind.

It was definitely worth the money to hire a tax attorney and set up her LLC. If you are going to run a kickstarter that takes in $85k in money, you should be paying a tax attorney anyway, and you sure as poo poo shouldn't be declaring the whole lump as income.

She paid $22,600 in taxes for a takehome of $30k. That's an effective tax rate of 43%.

The calculator Haystack just linked says on $52l ($22k + $30k), her tax should have been $9k. So that $22k is not income tax after expenses, it's income tax on the whole amount.

The point here isn't even really the exact numbers: it's just confirmation of a suspicion I have, that tons of otherwise very well run kickstarters have backers who have no idea about the financial side of running a business, and are getting reamed as a result.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

You're overlooking the cost of CPP (Canadian social security?) and employment insurance, which is like an extra 10% on top of other taxes. Not that I blame you, that website goes out of its way to hide it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that could add another $3k or so. I'm sure there are other differences, but I feel pretty confident based on her stated math and the rest of what she said, that she deposited all the money into a personal bank account and then paid income tax on it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that could add another $3k

More like 6.5

There are good reasons to set up an LLC or to incorporate, but the tax savings involved are situational and often not the main point.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Haystack posted:

You're overlooking the cost of CPP (Canadian social security?)

Canada Pension Plan, yeah.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haystack posted:

More like 6.5

There are good reasons to set up an LLC or to incorporate, but the tax savings involved are situational and often not the main point.

$6.5k for a 10% implies $65k in income, we've established her actual (even pre-tax) income was a lot less than that.

The tax savings aren't the main point, that's true: limiting your liability for business losses and lawsuits are, and that's another super important thing anyone should be doing before running up close to $100k in kickstarter pre-orders. I'm just extrapolating from the numbers that it's unlikely she's got an LLC, and we've seen this from other trad games kickstarters before.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah. The LLC is for poo poo like 'My $30k print run of glossy books was in a low-lying warehouse in Houston last week' or when someone decides to sue you because your IP looks like their Sonic the Hedgehog fan character from 1997.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah. The LLC is for poo poo like 'My $30k print run of glossy books was in a low-lying warehouse in Houston last week' or when someone decides to sue you because your IP looks like their Sonic the Hedgehog fan character from 1997.
This.

It's also worth noting that the difference between business and income taxes is generally a lot more advantageous in the US than elsewhere, political rhetoric not withstanding.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Still, a lot of accountants would be willing to work with you or consult with you for cheap, because they believe in your product or like helping people have financial success.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This.

It's also worth noting that the difference between business and income taxes is generally a lot more advantageous in the US than elsewhere, political rhetoric not withstanding.

Yeah. The big issue is that tax codes generally treat "all the money you got given to you" as income when you're an individual, but "all the money you made after expenses" as income when you're a business. When you are getting money to make a product, the latter is potentially 0% or less than the money you got given to you (if your kickstarter makes no net profit). You should not run a kickstarter and then treat all the cash you get from KS as income.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. The big issue is that tax codes generally treat "all the money you got given to you" as income when you're an individual, but "all the money you made after expenses" as income when you're a business. When you are getting money to make a product, the latter is potentially 0% or less than the money you got given to you (if your kickstarter makes no net profit). You should not run a kickstarter and then treat all the cash you get from KS as income.

Noooooo, there's not right. You can absolutely deduct expenses without having an LLC or a corp. That's what it means to be a sole/joint proprietor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah I'm including sole proprietor (schedule C) in that statement, although I didn't make that clear. A sole proprietor does not treat all revenue as income, because you are deducting costs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://apocalypse-world.com/pbta/policy

quote:

An open letter re: Powered by the Apocalypse

Dear friends, fellow designers, critics, and concerned citizens,

It was a going topic, not to say a sore point, at Gen Con, so please allow Meg and me to define once and for all what "Powered by the Apocalypse" is.

"Powered by the Apocalypse" isn't the name of a category of games, a set of games' features, or the thrust of any games' design. It's the name of Meg's and my policy concerning others' use of our intellectual property and creative work.

This policy appears in all of Meg's or my public statements on the topic, we hope, and we try to include it in our answers to all private inquiries. It's possible that some of you have never happened to encounter it before this, but our hope is that it's more or less common knowledge. It's stickied at the Barf Forth Apocalyptica forum, for instance.

Here's the policy:

If you've created a game inspired by Apocalypse World, and would like to publish it, please do. If you're using our words, you need our permission, per copyright law. If you aren't using our words, you don't need our permission, although of course we'd love to hear from you. Instead, we consider it appropriate and sufficient for you to mention Apocalypse World in your thanks, notes, or credits section.

It's completely up to you whether you call your game "Powered by the Apocalypse." If you'd like to use our PbtA logo in your game's book design or trade dress, ask us, and we'll grant permission for you to do so. This isn't a requirement of any sort.

In other words: Is Apocalypse World an inspiration for your game? Enough so that you want to call your game PbtA? Did you follow Meg's and my policy wrt publishing it? Then cool, your game is Powered by the Apocalypse. Get with us if you want to use the logo.

To answer one of the funnier questions posed to me at Gen Con, Meg and I (a) consider Apocalypse World to be significantly inspired by Apocalypse World, in that the game's design and text express the ideas that inspired them, and we (b) sought and acquired our own permission to publish our words. Thus, yes, Apocalypse World itself is Powered by the Apocalypse.

The directory here at apocalypse-world.com/pbta follows this definition and no other. For ambiguous cases, I've relied on explicit guidance from the creators, as in the cases of Blades in the Dark (included), The Bloody-Handed Name of Bronze (included), and Malandros (not included). If you "disagree with," or more properly don't understand, a given game's inclusion, I hope this clears it up for you.

Again, "Powered by the Apocalypse" isn't the name of a kind of game, set of game elements, or even the core design thrust of a coherent movement. (Ha! This last, the least so.) Its use in a game's trade dress signifies ONLY that the game was inspired by Apocalypse World in a way that the designer considers significant, and that it follows our policy wrt others' use of our creative work.

Meg and I are happy as always to answer questions about this, but aren't likely to entertain any arguments contradicting it. As far as we're concerned, this statement is definitive.

Thank you for your kind attention, and sincerely, your true friends and colleagues,

Meg and Vincent

P.S. From Vincent, a couple of personal notes:

1. After I first published Apocalypse World, I quickly understood that I had signed myself up for any number of confused and circular arguments about what "Powered by the Apocalypse" secretly really means. But friends, you didn't! And while I know that there will always be confused and circular-thinking people to bring those arguments to me, you don't have to be them, if you don't want to.

I'd encourage you instead, if you can, to take the above statement as straightforwardly final. Leave the confused and circular wrangling about what games are "really" PbtA and what PbtA "really" means to people who can't help it.

2. I understand at second- and third-hand that there are people out there who make it their business to shoulder in on other game creators' decisions about whether to use Meg's and my PbtA logo, or even to try to lead their judgments about whether their PbtA games are "really" PbtA. I can only see this as an illegitimate effort to manage and incorrectly enforce Meg's and my policy, in a manner materially hostile to Meg's and my interests. I am its enemy. Those people can please reign themselves in and knock it the heck off.

Love, truly, Vincent

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
What's the context, here?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dwarf74 posted:

What's the context, here?

I guess people arguing about what is and isn't PBTA, and people arguing about what you can and can't officially call a Powered by the Apocalypse game?

I think one example is that Blades in the Dark doesn't mention PBTA in the book or in the trade-dress at all, but John Harper has verbally said in interviews that BITD is inspired by PBTA.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I recall Harper saying explicitly that he didn't consider BitD to be PbtA, somewhere.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I vaguely recall the distinction he made being that Blades is not PBTA, because it is sufficiently mechanically distinct, but is inspired by Apocalypse World. Blades is to AW as Chuubo's is to Nobilis 3e, or, if you want to push the comparison a bit, Blades:AW::Burning Wheel:Shadowrun 1e.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kestral posted:

I vaguely recall the distinction he made being that Blades is not PBTA, because it is sufficiently mechanically distinct, but is inspired by Apocalypse World. Blades is to AW as Chuubo's is to Nobilis 3e, or, if you want to push the comparison a bit, Blades:AW::Burning Wheel:Shadowrun 1e.

baker is saying that anyone anywhere can call their own game pbta if they want, there are no rules or preconditions or barriers or boundaries

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Cease to Hope posted:

baker is saying that anyone anywhere can call their own game pbta if they want, there are no rules or preconditions or barriers or boundaries
Sort of. It reads more that they're not going to police PbtA in terms of mechanics, in either direction. That is, they aren't setting any minimum bar to clear to get the title, and they aren't going demand payment/acknowledgement from anyone who's "too similar" unless they are outright stealing copy.

But they're still talking about giving permission, so they're retaining the right to not allow association if someone does something objectionable on other grounds, like make a RaHoWa PbtA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Cease to Hope posted:

If you look at the other PbtA games they've done, there are ones like Murderous Ghosts and The Sundered Lands, weird little things that massively deviate from AW and the typical PbtA formula. (Which is part of why I call my game Magical Fury PbtA even though it lacks stats and playbooks.)

Also I appreciate the existence of Willow Palecek's parody game Powered by the Apocalypse World, which is about designing PbtA games:
http://apocalypse-world.com/pbta/games/title/Powered_by_the_Apocalypse_World

• Locked thread