Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
does anyone present not think pathfinder is bad though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Having read this section on Ultimate Intrigue, the impression I got was that that giving the villain that kind of "out" to just teleport away must also come with giving the players A. a way to track them down afterwards, and B. a disadvantage to the villain for having blown their contingency.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Cease to Hope posted:

does anyone present not think pathfinder is bad though

I have no opinion on pathfinder.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
It's sillier than that. It's the end of an Adventure Path campaign that's run for months and is set up as the climactic encounter in the module. But because the main villain has Teleport, according to the GM they would always use it if they could, so it becomes the Campaign That Will Not Die.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Honestly, I'd write that off as a win. An enemy that felt he had to run from the PCs at the height of his power isn't going to go looking for them, or give them reason to go looking for him. Narrative problem solved, if the PC's are the usual Pathfinder murder hobos.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Keep in mind as well that a good amount of that boiled down to Gygax not wanting to say "look don't do that."

Take said rot grubs. It's pretty obvious what happened. Gygax got irritated with his players going through every body no matter what, digging through corpse after corpse, in hopes of getting a few grubby gold pieces. Rather then tell them to stop, he just introduces a new monster that decentivizes it.

Same thing with ear seekers, monsters that do literally only two things: live inside wood, and burrow into ears to kill people. Why? Because he got irritated with players stopping at every single door to check to see if they could hear anything. And rather then just, you know, talk to them, like adults, you get...this poo poo.

"Wow Cirno this sounds toxic and lovely!"

Welcome to D&D.

Those both sound fine in moderation and I thought telling the players "no" was bad.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

super sweet best pal posted:

Those both sound fine in moderation and I thought telling the players "no" was bad.

Telling a player "you can't do that" isn't great GMing, but saying it as part of an adult conversation with the player about expectations for the game is way better than saying it via passive-aggressive IC bullshit, especially since the latter approach just creates an arms race of ridiculous behavior. After all, killing a PC with an ear seeker isn't actually changing the circumstances that made the players assume the PCs have to listen at every door; if they still think that's the expectation, they're just going to have to come up with another layer of preparation, because now they feel they have to listen at doors and keep bugs out of their ears in the process. If the goal of your game is this sort of elaborate tactical dungeoneering/Fantasy loving Vietnam "prepare elaborately or die messily" action, that's totally cool and have fun, but if the GM's goal is to discourage the PCs from this sort of time-wasting bullshit, they've actually just made it worse.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Didn't some edition of D&D have an item specifically for the purpose of defeating ear seekers? Something with mesh on the end?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AlphaDog posted:

I would get really pissed off at a DM who pitched a "heroes save the world in an epic saga of adventure" game and then included ear seekers or rot grubs with no warning in the third session. But it used to be an expected, standard, part of the game, and it still works as long as everyone's expectations are in line.
It really wasn't, though. Not everyone learned to play D&D from a salty old wargamer; plenty saw a comic book ad and bought a boxed set. D&D absolutely sold itself as a heroic fantasy adventure game.

"Maybe Gary's daughter will have sex with you" is more an expected part of the game that rot grubs.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

It really wasn't, though. Not everyone learned to play D&D from a salty old wargamer; plenty saw a comic book ad and bought a boxed set. D&D absolutely sold itself as a heroic fantasy adventure game.

"Maybe Gary's daughter will have sex with you" is more an expected part of the game that rot grubs.
Given the amount of ink spilled in early issues of The Dragon and in Gygax's MDG 1E itself about the absolute importance of DM's not letting players have access to magic and treasure and experience points until they've earned it, because the absolute worst thing you could be was a Monty Haul DM (or, similarly, a Munchkin player), it seems that lots and lots of people who picked up the game played it as a fun toybox full of spells and magic items and monsters, and not some weird Puritan exercise in denying temptation and slowing grinding your way through kobolds and giant centipedes (save or die poison, kids! at a level where no one has access to Cure Poison!) and ten foot pit traps and ear worms and rot grubs and insta-death cursed items like that needle.

The fact that Gygax & Co felt the need to repeatedly yell about Munchkins and Monty Haul DMs screwing up the game tells me that the way early D&D was actually played wasn't anything like the austere earn-you-fun high-lethality murderhobo vietnam that Gygax envisioned and so many OSRies fetishize.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

The fact that Gygax & Co felt the need to repeatedly yell about Munchkins and Monty Haul DMs screwing up the game tells me that the way early D&D was actually played wasn't anything like the austere earn-you-fun high-lethality murderhobo vietnam that Gygax envisioned and so many OSRies fetishize.
Putting this into context, it was also the days of the expectation of characters being fully portable between tables. So in that kind of environment, yeah, having a similar GMing style was important.

Not that the books did anything to support learning that style, but that's another conversation.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, there was this whole expectation that you'd bring the same character to games run by different people, so if Bob started giving out a ton of stuff and easy XP, when you went to Alice's game next week you'd overwhelm her stuff that wasn't built for people who'd been to Bob's House of discount holy avengers or whatever. I started gaming at the tail end of this being a thing, and eventually people would just bring folders of characters and ask the GM if it was okay for their game level first, which seems like a sane approach if you're going to assume total portability. And is probably what eventually led to just people just making characters for a specific campaign.

Gygax -also- railed against 'killer GMs' which, uh...I don't want to consider what the dude who suggested 'have random bolts of blue lightning hit people for being dumb' would consider a killer GM.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I know that was Gygax's vision for the game, and his design impulse, but how many people actually played it that way? For every person group observing the write of Gygax and making sure their characters stayed in the lane, powerlevel-wise, there were probably a dozen just opening their red box and having fun and blasting purple worms with twin wands of fireballs.

I don't deny that scrappy, grinding, high-lethality murderhobo-ism is a legitimate way to play the game, or that it was Gygax's expressed idea of how the game was played. I just bristle when I hear people say that was just The Way We All Played It Back In The Day, because it absolutely wasn't.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Gygax -also- railed against 'killer GMs' which, uh...I don't want to consider what the dude who suggested 'have random bolts of blue lightning hit people for being dumb' would consider a killer GM.
The centerpiece of my dungeon is a room where the floor is a trapper, the ceiling is a lurker studded with piercers and darkmantles, the walls are stunjellies, and the treasure chest is a mimic holding a cloaker in its mouth.

I couldn't figure out a way to work the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing in there, but...dare you enter my magical realm?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Like I said, I started gaming while people were doing it mostly like that with people porting characters from one game to another and one GM might do random bullshit traps that drop you naked into a dungeon and another might give you a sword that uses a backgammon doubling cube as its damage die.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
For the kind of game D&D was, and where it came from, the portability made perfect sense. You're just delving to try to beat the dungeon, so of course you want to bring that character to other tables to try to accumulate as much as possible.

It isn't until you get to story focused play that it goes completely out the window. If Bob the Fighter has a stake in saving the Kingdom of Otherlandia, and that's the focus of the game, it doesn't make sense to pull him out and use him elsewhere.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Reminder that Gygax also hated the very concept of having any sort of story beyond "there is a Bad Thing in Location Mountain, go kill it!" and thought having a reasonable chance to actually hit and hurt the thing you were fighting was "too video-gamey" so really if you were looking for good RPG advice at all Gary was the last person you wanted to talk to.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There was this one moment where I was dicking around with OD&D monster and treasure generation tables to fill out a dungeon I had sketched, and the very last treasure hoard I rolled ended up yielding a Staff of Wizardry, which would have been an incredible haul for a party to get at level 1 at the end of their very first dungeon.

I would have wanted to see what would have happened had I played that out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yawgmoth posted:

Reminder that Gygax also hated the very concept of having any sort of story beyond "there is a Bad Thing in Location Mountain, go kill it!" and thought having a reasonable chance to actually hit and hurt the thing you were fighting was "too video-gamey" so really if you were looking for good RPG advice at all Gary was the last person you wanted to talk to.
He actually wrote multiple books of (generic, systemless) DM advice:

Someone should do them for FATAL & Friends.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
gently caress, I have both of them in a box somewhere.

I also have The Devil's Web.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

gently caress, I have both of them in a box somewhere.

I also have The Devil's Web.
Tell me more of your full set of Gord the Rogue novels.

e: also, you now have an assignment for F&F.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

I only have the first one

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

I know that was Gygax's vision for the game, and his design impulse, but how many people actually played it that way?
I started back when I was 11 with a Mentzer pre-Red-box Basic box I got at Toys-R-Us. Back then I had zero idea how to run games; I thought the idea was that you just explored the entire map and then you won. There wasn't any sort of wider community apart from what was in Dragon, and even then we never used stuff like rot grubs or any of that kind of thing because we never had anything approaching a "this is how you're intended/expected to use this game" part in the books.

That's part of why the OSR bugs me, especially the kill-em-all mindset side of things: that wasn't "how we played back in the day" because there wasn't a universal "that's how we played back in the day".

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Red box did have the "there's a banquet table but if you touch anything you get sprayed with mold spores" room.

But that's ok, the door won't open to anyone below level 2.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's part of why the OSR bugs me, especially the kill-em-all mindset side of things: that wasn't "how we played back in the day" because there wasn't a universal "that's how we played back in the day".

There's this 2003 essay from Ron Edwards that talks about this exact thing, that we can't know what "playing D&D" was like, because it was an intensely personal experience across individual playing groups for a game that was, arguably, a lot more "free form" than most fans of the era might be willing to admit.

I especially liked the part where he said that a lot of the early supplements, like Arms Law and Arduin and Dragon magazines and Judge's Guild, were ultimately just documentations of things that people had already put in in their own games.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, exactly. There were lots of ways to play D&D back in the day, and I really dislike the way the OSR asserts that everyone was 100% doing murderhobo fantasy vietnam, because it just wasn't so.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

That was one of the interesting things about later editions of Tunnels and Trolls to me- they actually did some research with the playerbase and noted stuff like "So the folks in Phoenix do this and this and that's pretty cool", scattering it through the text.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FMguru posted:

He actually wrote multiple books of (generic, systemless) DM advice:

I used to have this one. IMO, it was notable mainly for the long essay in back, where Gary explains the benefits of RPGs, and how all the accusations of satanism are ridiculous.

FMguru posted:

Not only do I have a full set of Gord the Rogue novels, Sea of Death is signed by Gygax himself. :smugwizard:

(Sea of Death is actually not so bad; it's a nice, pulp-y, action novel where you can almost hear the dice rolling in the background. The later books get progressively more gonzo, to the point where Gord and his bard friend are killing demons in the thousands - the bard with sweet guitar licks, and Gord shooting lasers from his sword. I am not making this up.)

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That sounds like some weeabo fightan magic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Yawgmoth posted:

Not to mention he wasn't fond of any PC type except Human Fighters, and only included any other options because of pressure from his players

Halloween Jack posted:

I only have the first one

Same, although I do have several of the series that came after the first two Gord novels that followed that Wolf Shaman guy(and get pretty Magical Realm over the course of them)

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It's slightly important to note that the AD&D book and the various advice and whatever isn't how Gygax himself played - it's how he assumed others did. Gygax himself was not exactly the strictest DM out there and quite the opposite was more generous with treasure and letting player bullshit through then his own book stated you should be.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LongDarkNight posted:

That sounds like some weeabo fightan magic.
Gord was weeaboo before there was weeaboo

Drizzt ain't got nothin on Gord.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is now up.

Mostly just pulling back the curtain on how skills should be approached, from the DM side; this is largely "understood" for a lot of experienced gamers, but I figured it was worthwhile to formalize this sort of understanding of how the rules/mechanics should be used -- expect to see this appear almost-verbatim in the next iteration of the rules text.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

P.d0t posted:

:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is now up.

Mostly just pulling back the curtain on how skills should be approached, from the DM side; this is largely "understood" for a lot of experienced gamers, but I figured it was worthwhile to formalize this sort of understanding of how the rules/mechanics should be used -- expect to see this appear almost-verbatim in the next iteration of the rules text.

Is really good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KorenShadmi/status/906541771039133697

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

80s anime aesthetic ftw

Dec 26, 2012

Plutonis posted:

80s anime aesthetic ftw

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That looks so much better than the crap art in the original version.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's this 2003 essay from Ron Edwards that talks about this exact thing, that we can't know what "playing D&D" was like, because it was an intensely personal experience across individual playing groups for a game that was, arguably, a lot more "free form" than most fans of the era might be willing to admit.

I especially liked the part where he said that a lot of the early supplements, like Arms Law and Arduin and Dragon magazines and Judge's Guild, were ultimately just documentations of things that people had already put in in their own games.

From what I remember, that's pretty true. I mean, the first campaign I ever played was set in Dragonlance's Krynn, using AD&D2e with the weapon mastery and proficiency rules out of the Rules Cyclopedia and some other house rule stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There will eternally be a part of me cackling over TSR dropping the Japan market for D&D more or less forever because they were overly paranoid and lawsuit happy.

• Locked thread