Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Only one Wally scene was the only bad thing about this new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Krinkle posted:

fifteen minutes of the superbad kid doing a marlin brando reference from a movie I've never seen while every single character sucks him off as being cool gee I wonder why I hated it

I hope wally died on the way back to his home planet

I wouldn't go that far, since I've seen the referenced movie, but I thought it was boring. Michael Cera is the wrong kind of goofy for a Twin Peaks interlude.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Wally should have punched the orb.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

hanales posted:

I wouldn't go that far, since I've seen the referenced movie, but I thought it was boring. Michael Cera is the wrong kind of goofy for a Twin Peaks interlude.

Who else is weird enough to play Lucy and Andy's son? Shia?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

tap my mountain posted:

Who else is weird enough to play Lucy and Andy's son? Shia?
Jaden Smith.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even know the Wally scene was a reference to a specific movie. It's just funny as hell

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Krinkle posted:

fifteen minutes of the superbad kid doing a marlin brando reference from a movie I've never seen while every single character sucks him off as being cool gee I wonder why I hated it

I hope wally died on the way back to his home planet

Who "sucked him off as being cool"? Besides his retarded parents

The sheriff was visibly baffled and embarassed through the whole scene (which was hillarious imo)

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Without the wally brando scene we'd never have known what became of his childhood bedroom!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wally fucks

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Raxivace posted:

Jaden Smith.

But he was busy doing neo yokio!

you know the netflix anime parody show about jaden smith as some demon-hunting anime superhero and jude law is his butler and its made by the guy from vampire weekend and its the most intentionally twee weeaboo piece of crap ive ever seen outside of a flash animation

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wally was loving hilarious but I’m kinda glad he was contained to just one scene. That one scene was so perfect and any more than that probably would’ve taken away from the mystique of the character.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

kaworu posted:

But he was busy doing neo yokio!

you know the netflix anime parody show about jaden smith as some demon-hunting anime superhero and jude law is his butler and its made by the guy from vampire weekend and its the most intentionally twee weeaboo piece of crap ive ever seen outside of a flash animation
I somehow did not know that but I bet Jude Law would make a decent butler.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

THE FUCKS ARE AT IT AGAIN WITH THE WALLY HATE

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

a wild at heart meets the straight story style road movie starring wally brando

nopants
May 29, 2004
Sheriff Frank Truman's facial expressions while reacting to crazy people was one of the finest performances of this season.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

nopants posted:

Sheriff Frank Truman's facial expressions while reacting to crazy people was one of the finest performances of this season.

Agreed. Robert Forster got lots of practice from keeping calm while watching Walter White lose his poo poo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

nopants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZzeyGVkZxo&t=80s

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

The Merkinman posted:

Perhaps someone more into movies with knowledge of directors, styles, etc can answer this for me.

Why is it Lynch can have a movie end with many unanswered questions, ones which AFAIK deliberately have no definitive answer. Yet if any other film were to so the same, the writing/directing would be considered a failure?

Lynch just has some fanatics who insist that his works' failings aren't failings. If you see them as failings, then YOU are the failing. There are no valid criticisms, not even from people who do like what he does. By definition, all of his writing is perfect.

It's just weird that no one else has this type of follower. Take George R.R. Martin, for example. I've suspected for awhile now that -- given his age, health, and increasingly minute attention span -- he'll never finish A Song of Fire and Ice. I'll be extremely amazed if it's completed before he dies. What if he were to say, "gently caress it," and slap together a quick ending that cuts off several of the main storylines without addressing them?

There'd be a shitfit, with people wanting to know what happened to those characters/storylines. I highly doubt there'd be a bunch of people shouting highly condescending things like, "you just don't 'get' Martin" or "A Song of Fire and Ice just isn't for you, but that's perfectly OK; it's not for everybody" or "it's just not the ending you wanted."

Why Lynch gets that kind of disturbing treatment and other writers/directors don't is beyond me.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

Mover posted:

Someone please make a gif of Carl playing the van whistle and it summons the Dragonzord

https://giant.gfycat.com/OffensiveLivelyCrayfish.webm

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

...! posted:

Lynch just has some fanatics who insist that his works' failings aren't failings. If you see them as failings, then YOU are the failing. There are no valid criticisms, not even from people who do like what he does. By definition, all of his writing is perfect.

It's just weird that no one else has this type of follower. Take George R.R. Martin, for example. I've suspected for awhile now that -- given his age, health, and increasingly minute attention span -- he'll never finish A Song of Fire and Ice. I'll be extremely amazed if it's completed before he dies. What if he were to say, "gently caress it," and slap together a quick ending that cuts off several of the main storylines without addressing them?

There'd be a shitfit, with people wanting to know what happened to those characters/storylines. I highly doubt there'd be a bunch of people shouting highly condescending things like, "you just don't 'get' Martin" or "A Song of Fire and Ice just isn't for you, but that's perfectly OK; it's not for everybody" or "it's just not the ending you wanted."

Why Lynch gets that kind of disturbing treatment and other writers/directors don't is beyond me.

i think it's for a couple reasons

1)he has put out very, very few outright bad things. i can't list anything off the top of my head that's an unmitigated disaster by Lynch. on the internet, there is only good and bad so since he's not bad he is unmitigatedly good.

2)his work isn't super accessible to casual viewers. it rewards attentive viewing, repeated watching, and careful analysis. there's lots of normal Lynch fans, but this sort of work also attracts a type of personality that defines itself by how much better at reading a thing they are than you. This kind of person imagines that they would never sit through something that wasn't 100% perfect for every minute of its runtime and therefore if you thought there were any problems then you're clearly just dumber than them and don't appreciate the work on the deep level they do.

3)there's just some people who are insanely defensive of the things they like and identify with them to the point that admitting a flaw in them is like admitting a flaw in themselves. the type of person who can enjoy something and still engage in critical discussion of it is less common than you would think because consuming media, nowadays, is as much about identity as entertainment.

all these traits get turned up to 11 online where there's 0 consequences for just shouting your opinions and never engaging anyone else's. compare, say, GBS's reaction to Nu Ghostbusters (ugh feminazi sjw garbage, everyone involved should die, none of these bitches are funny, etc) with, say, RWM's Plinkett review of it, which has lots of complaints but also engages with what's good about the movie and what could have been expanded to make it a success rather than dismissing it on its face.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

...! posted:

I think it's because he has a pretty proven track record of (often) leaving a ton of ambiguity in his work and endings so he's critiqued on a relative scale. If you're familiar with Lynch at all, you know you're very likely going to be viewing something that will not explain things, will leave things unresolved, will operate on dream logic (feeling something vs knowing something), etc. He also refuses to ever explicitly define his vision because he wants his art (in all forms) to be open to our interpretation of it.

I don't think his work is unassailable but it does appeal to me, no matter its faults, and others because it is refreshingly different from most anything else on TV or film. GRRM builds worlds very methodically with a ton of history and context, and that's wonderful. Lynch is just something else and it either appeals to you or not (vs "getting it" or not). There is no other director who can mix weirdness, existentialist horror, humour, banality, etc. like Lynch can, so I give him a lot of leeway when certain things don't work for me because so much of it does.

In summary:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I've never seen Wild At Heart, just looked like another sappy movie. But I didn't know it was a Lynch movie now I wanna see it. Going in completely blind too.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wild at Heart rules, you'll love it.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

:eyepop:

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Holy poo poo, Wild at Heart is many things. Sappy is not a word I would use to describe 95% of them. Buckle up.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

...! posted:

Take George R.R. Martin, for example. I've suspected for awhile now that -- given his age, health, and increasingly minute attention span -- he'll never finish A Song of Fire and Ice. I'll be extremely amazed if it's completed before he dies.

Guys it's the internet so I'm loathe to admit this but this take, so hot, so nuclear hot, I just can't handle it alone :(

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 12, 2017

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Guys it's the internet so I'm loathe to admit this but this take, so hot, so nuclear hot, I just can't handle it alone :(

What are you babbling about? Are you having a stroke?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Editing in hopes of returning the thread to TP theorycrafting.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 12, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Origami Dali posted:

Wild at Heart rules, you'll love it.

It was my first Lynch movie. Then Dune. Then Eraserhead. I had to discover cinema on my own because my mom's ex controlled the TV and they meant law and order all day every day. I discovered Lynch via a weird progression as a result.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

...! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT8hTXlT7jA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey look I was right about that poster ignoring any responses to their last post and just going on to repeat the same old whining as with the other like five times

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

Mover posted:

Someone please make a gif of Carl playing the van whistle and it summons the Dragonzord

Okay for real:

https://i.imgur.com/1dCbGPO.mp4

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Went back and watched the previous seasons and I noticed something:

Audrey was always terrible.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

...! posted:

I am not a David Lynch fan but the other folks who replied to you pretty much nailed what my interpretation of this is.

That said, despite being the kind of person who really hates it when entertainment pieces leave loose strings hanging, I do also recognize the value of the enjoyment of the experience as I'm consuming it.

As an example: A lot of people are really down on the latest season of Game of Thrones because it's being too fast in tying up the loose ends while also just being super flashy, thus making the consumption of it both entertaining and closure-ridden while losing the subtlety and grace that brought it to the forefront of prestige television. Yet I still loved this season. I recognize its weaknesses but I also recognize how much I love it tying things up, moving the plot along, and being flashy.

Twin Peaks is the same way. There's dozens of loose ends and the fandom theorizes like crazy despite the fact that there will never be solid answers to everything but the scene composition, episodic nature, juxtaposition of oddities, and deeply dark humor just make it fun to watch with friends. You end up laughing at things you shouldn't be laughing at and exclaiming "what the gently caress!?" at things that make no sense, exist for no reason, and will never be explained. As art, it evokes an emotion and a response, far more than the latest episode of Rick and Morty did. (I love Rick and Morty)

So, in the end, that's how you have to view it. It's art. It's truly weird, poorly written, but artfully produced art. That's what people know David Lynch for and that's why he gets away with it while others don't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
That EW podcast with Laura Dern is great.

Laura Dern is the absolute best :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If something in a show exists to evoke emotion and a response of some kind, then that's the exact opposite of existing for no reason.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Wally's scene was good, tbh

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

...! posted:

I'm more disturbed by people who wander into a 375 page thread full of thoughtful engagement with and criticism of a complex piece of art and feel really insecure about it to the point that they need to keep trotting out strawmen like the mythical Lynch Fan Who Rejects All Criticism. We get it, you don't like Lynch or didn't like the season and you apparently can't stomach those who did. We see you, we acknowledge you. You exist and you're loved and valid. You can do something else now, I release you from your burden.

To answer the original question, I think Lynch gets a pass for his open-ended, abstract works because he is very effective at presenting a singular, confident artistic vision. Have you ever met someone really good at telling a story (or selling a product, etc) who just infects you with their confidence and enthusiasm to the point that you buy into what they're saying because you buy into THEM? I think that's what Lynch brings to the table. Look at interviews with Kyle MacLachlan or Laura Dern or Naomi Watts; they looove working with Lynch both as an artist and as a friend. I think Lynch has a "directorial charisma" that other artists lack sometimes.

Look at Tommy Wiseau or Neil Breen. Both made films that are strange, edited weirdly, have bad special effects or show their seams really badly. Both have made films that are clearly the brainchild of an artist with a strong vision for what they want to see on film. I think Wiseau and Breen both fail in some key areas, the main one being no confidence in the art. Wiseau and Breen don't trust their audience to buy into their vision, so they bloat the film with characters blandly telling everyone their feelings and motivations instead of showing them or long speeches about why corporate corruption is bad.

Compare that to Lynch where half the thread is trying to tease out what Booper really wanted based almost solely on what was shown because we never get outright told what he wants (besides coordinates and Judy). You can argue this is a failing in the other direction, but it's arguably a more interesting direction to fail in. I think a visionary mystery is always going to be more compelling than an earnest visionary exposition dump. Think of one of the biggest criticisms of the finale episodes: the opening Gordon Cole Judy Dump. A lot of us didn't like that because it was Telling not Showing. A lot of people are more irritated by that monologue than by the leave-ya-hanging ending to this beloved series because the mystery is much more compelling. I think Lynch's confidence that his art speaks for itself and his respect for the audience dreaming along with him just adds some hard-to-pin-down special sauce to something that, in another director, would just feel lovely.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 12, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

...! posted:

There's always fans like that, for everything. It's not everyone.

I've disliked parts of this season and had good, reasonable discussions about them here. Which parts do you dislike? Just talk about those and why instead of being weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

Krinkle posted:

while every single character sucks him off as being cool gee I wonder why I hated it

Yeah because you didnt get it