Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-shieldbreaker/

I'm digging the design, and if it can ignore the Guard condition, that would be an automatic Cove addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what do you use to break shields? why, a shield of your own. fight fire with fire

e: oh gently caress lol i didn't realise it was the actual red hook site, i thought it was a mod character

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Her design looks really cool, and a snake-based expansion would be fun. But Red Hook, umm.. please do not give us a snake-curse.

Also guard-breakers already exist in the game.. they're called stuns. :grin:

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I feel like The Crimson Court shows how badly the developers of this game dont understand how frustrating some of the mechanics of this game are. The maps are just way too big, the enemy stats are the most infuriating poo poo (the mosquitoes and chevaliers need to be rebalanced badly, especially for champion runs), and the bosses are just the most tedious poo poo (stop giving them three moves each round already)! The fanatic boss fight is just a re-worked hag fight made even more difficult for the sake of being difficult and the multiple crocodile fights are aggravating as hell (it sure is great getting three people put to deaths door in one boss attack). I really hope if we're getting a new dlc they fix up this previous one because I'm just going to uninstall this game after I beat it if they decide to keep the same design philosophy.

I do like the design of the new character though; I wonder if we get a new area where the location would be (will a desert somehow pop up next to the Cove or something :v:)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

what do you use to break shields? why, a shield of your own. fight fire with fire

e: oh gently caress lol i didn't realise it was the actual red hook site, i thought it was a mod character

It's actually because her shield gets broken all the time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was gifted this game as a birthday present the other day and I'm super psyched! It's awesome! I've played it for like 10 hours in the past 2 days. I can see the complaints about the later-game grind starting already but I don't really mind it because the combat itself is so fun and tense. Haven't lost a single person yet but I'm sure it's going to happen soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9S5hqY5R7c&t=744s

Here is my very first time playing the game if you would like to watch.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 8, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Would be awesome if the new hero could hit multiple positions with her spear, similar to Hellion's Breakthrough.

Maybe she'll do low damage across several targets and apply debuffs like -dodge -prot? Curious how she'll be different from Hellion.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

CJacobs posted:

I was gifted this game as a birthday present the other day and I'm super psyched! It's awesome! I've played it for like 10 hours in the past 2 days. I can see the complaints about the later-game grind starting already but I don't really mind it because the combat itself is so fun and tense. Haven't lost a single person yet but I'm sure it's going to happen soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9S5hqY5R7c&t=744s

Here is my very first time playing the game if you would like to watch.

You answered the letter. Now you, like me, are a part of this place.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So the Flagellant is a goddamn beast; I'd argue he's probably a fair bit better than any one base class in the game, thouguh since he's a paid DLC class this is fine. He balances well and reveals how much depth there's to plumb in the game's battle system.

I'm entering into the Crimson Court DLC and I have to say, adding a persistent disease/addiction mechanic doesn't seem to have give me much more than just another resource to juggle. I also feel like this DLC is geared for people much better at the game than I, as I've not nearly enough heirlooms to take advantage of any of these blueprints and I'd really like that blood fountain.

Still, the lore is aces and the Flagellant is such a good loving addition to my roster that it all but makes up for it. My penchant for keeping my heroes alive may be starting to grow costly now, as I"ve a full roster and almost all of them are getting to level 3, with a good amount of 4's and at least one 5. I'll probably have a Darkest Dungeon level party here soon, once I go and take out this Hag or square off with the Baron.

I may do the Baron as soon as my Flagellant hits 3, I can bolster him with some 4's; the Court content, with the exception of the Crocodillian, doesn't seem explicitly harder than, say, the high levels of the Cove, though this may be that the bleed vulnerabilities are just easier to deal with. I'm still figuring out the right synergy here, but my Occultists never want for work when it comes to healing and I've a number of Vestals who are (losing their minds) but well strong for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mzbundifund posted:

You answered the letter. Now you, like me, are a part of this place.

In time, I too will know the tragic extent of the narrator's failings.

edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heGZuKzO6iE&t=595s

I did a part 2 to the stream, and there probably will be a part 3 soon! Experiencing the game completely fresh has been fun- on my own side playthrough save I'm on week like 25 and it's quite a bit harder now. Still haven't lost anyone though.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 10, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo having the paid dlc class be overpowered is a bad thing

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Tollymain posted:

imo having the paid dlc class be overpowered is a bad thing

I don't disagree, but the Flagellant does help with the spike in difficulty for the Crimson Court quests. They're still very doable without him, but his emergency heals are incredibly useful for new players, and Suffer is great for making him tanky while removing a pesky DOT. Plus, the majority of the enemies are vulnerable to bleed, too.

But yeah, there a few class balance issues Red Hook should address when they release the Shieldbreaker. Hopefully it isn't just "oh hey guys we made a new class and dungeon, everything is fine now."

Leper could use some love, Jester should be either re-designed again (or reverted back to his old version), and something needs to change so the Occultist heal doesn't constantly roll 0 on his heal. Dogman is still good, but his damage feels significantly lower, I dunno if anyone else feels that way. And we've talked about this many times, but the whole religious party restriction thing needs to be scrapped.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 10, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't think the Flagellant's overpowered really but they're definitely up there in the top heroes. They're pretty bad in the Ruins and the Cove and their high risk high reward playstyle with relatively low HP means they can be very susceptible to getting one shot with a high damage/DOT combo from enemies (as happened to two of mine on my last playthrough).

The bulk of their damage is through DoT as well, meaning you'll possibly be taking damage when you could have killed a monster a monster flat out instead with a stronger non-DoT attack on another hero. They're also not great (offensively) in ranks 3/4 so if you get shuffled you're pretty much always looking at losing a turn. Really great for bosses though.

Jedah posted:

Leper could use some love, Jester should be either re-designed again (or reverted back to his old version), and something needs to change so the Occultist heal doesn't constantly roll 0 on his heal. Dogman is still good, but his damage feels significantly lower, I dunno if anyone else feels that way. And we've talked about this many times, but the whole religious party restriction thing needs to be scrapped.

Agree with all of this except Dogman. I think Dogman does good damage and the fact that he can hit any position and go beast mode on bosses after having a treat should be taken in to account.

On the Leper, I feel like Knockback could be incorporated in to Intimidate but idk. The class feels like it was designed around a different game, though it definitely shines in areas where ranks 1 and 2 are priority targets. The accuracy thing with them is loving poo poo and should be removed – it's already bad enough only being able to hit ranks 1/2. Giving them some synergy with marking parties might be good too. e: also marking synergy

Abomination definitely needs another look. They're such a huge pain in the arse to deal with that I just never really ended up using mine.

I also feel like a lot of the trinkets need to be re-worked, particularly the Crimson Court ones. With dodge levels what they are in champion as well as the Crimson Court monsters I find that any offensive character needs to bring accuracy trinkets along. Any set without accuracy is just no bueno for me if I'm putting it on an offensive char.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 10, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo the only change I'd really like for the Occultist is making his healing be neutral instead of harmful if you get the worst outcome. Maybe put something in place so that you don't get the bleed if the heal does less than the bleed would do in damage. That way anything less than say +3 has no chance of giving the bleed side effect. With this change if you get say a +3, but the bleed does -3, you end up with nothing unless you have a way to fix the bleed.

As is, I don't really like bringing Occultists along as dedicated healers because while I think the random mechanic is pretty neat, having a chance of giving you a net negative kinda sucks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
occultists are not really meant to be dedicated healers, so that'll be the reason why you don't like bringing them as one. the entire point of their healing style is that you have two people that are kinda healing rather than one person who is full time (which is how the Vestal rolls). bring a pd to counter the bleed and give a guaranteed 'get off DD' heal or an arbalest to give a better upside and it'll feel a lot better. dropping a cleansing crystal on the occultist to reduce the bleed chance of his heal also helps.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
At level 6, I think only the Leper, Antiquarian and GR are even susceptible to the Occultist's bleed, outside of debuffs and bloodlight. It's not a big deal.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

A Single Sphink posted:

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-shieldbreaker/

I'm digging the design, and if it can ignore the Guard condition, that would be an automatic Cove addition.

It's a cool design, and I just noticed she's missing her hand on her shield arm.

And this is me being nit picky but it now makes me annoyed that the dagger on her belt is facing the wrong direction :eng99:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Hannibal Rex posted:

At level 6, I think only the Leper, Antiquarian and GR are even susceptible to the Occultist's bleed, outside of debuffs and bloodlight. It's not a big deal.

I don't mind the Occultist's bleed, it's rolling 0 all the time that needs to go. No reason his max rank Wyrd Reconstruction couldn't heal for a minimum of say, 5 HP. Hell, even keep possibility of a bleed occurring, I just want to be able to take heroes off Death's Door in the heat of battle. It's a sad state of affairs when the Crusader's Inspiring Cry or PD's Battlefield Medicine are more consistent spells for taking heroes off DD than the Occultist heal.

Entropy238 posted:

Agree with all of this except Dogman. I think Dogman does good damage and the fact that he can hit any position and go beast mode on bosses after having a treat should be taken in to account.

Yeah, he's still pretty strong when he marks his target and has +damage trinkets equipped, or some camping/curio buffs. Maybe I got too used to him being ultra-overpowered from the previous patch. Still a top tier class.

Entropy238 posted:

I also feel like a lot of the trinkets need to be re-worked, particularly the Crimson Court ones. With dodge levels what they are in champion as well as the Crimson Court monsters I find that any offensive character needs to bring accuracy trinkets along. Any set without accuracy is just no bueno for me if I'm putting it on an offensive char.

:agreed: some of the trinkets don't make sense. Vestal's Atonement Beads? +20% DMG Melee Skills, +3% CRT Melee Skills, -15% Virtue Chance? what the heck

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 10, 2017

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jedah posted:

:agreed: some of the trinkets don't make sense. Vestal's Atonement Beads? +20% DMG Melee Skills, +3% CRT Melee Skills, -15% Virtue Chance? what the heck

I can understand them trying to get you to play characters in unconventional positions, but to get me to put a vestal in row 2 her melee abilities would have to be way better than judgement and dazzling light. Give me +60% melee damage and 5% crit then we'll talk.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's the point of the occultist, I imagine. Huge heals occasionally, but you shouldn't trust his command over the ancient eldest powers to be all that reliable. It's why he's good with an auxiliary healer like the Arbalest or Crusader.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Am I just super lucky and never really roll bad on occultist healing? Because his load out is the healing head + Churigon's Charm, and he rarely (if ever) rolls 0. A rough guess would be 0-1 times per dungeon.

I've used him as a main healer and have never had a problem with it. I usually have another character that can self heal in a pinch, but I was rarely screwed over, even with a low roll.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 13, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if the occultist healed 1+ each time, you'd only ever take the vestal for better stuns and group heals. he is high risk high reward

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The whole game is built around RNG mechanics. It's frustrating, but the fact that rolls can just not go your way and you get hosed is intended; it's how to make dynamic panic occur.

If you ever save scum (closing out when a battle is clearly being lost) you'll notice that a fight's difficulty really boils down to how your rolls go; if you get lucky and nail all your attacks, you win pretty easily but when poo poo whiffs then suddenly you get critted out of nowhere, then you've got cold sweat running down your neck as you struggle to maintain sanity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The occultist as he stands is perfectly in line with the flavor and mechanics of the game; sometimes you get lucky and sweep whatever is in your path, other times you get dunked on by RNG and watch your team crumble as bad luck cascades.

I would love a fix of Wyrd Reconstruction either being "Heal 1-X" or having a provision built in that if it heals for 0 then it won't apply a bleed, but that would undermine the intentional tension of building around having an Occultist on your roster. Maybe putting it on a trinket would be a decent fix that allows folks some flexibility at the cost of some other restriction.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

heal +1, -50% trinket

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

heal +1, -50% trinket

Simple fix.

Really, do some of you just love arguing? Don't try to justify Occultist healing for 0, it's silly, Crusader's stress heal should not be a better and more consistent way to take a character off Death's Door.

If it was JUST rank 1 of the ability, sure, that's understandable. But max rank could easily do +1 hp per skill point, and it would make the class way, way better. Or give him a camping skill that boosts his healing, or some new +healing trinkets, as DJF suggested.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my suggestion is to leave him as he is. the +0 heal possibility is another decision to make when teambuilding and is a risk in a game that is all about managing risk

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wyrd's range starting at 0 was a very deliberate choice. If you want reliable death's door saves take a vestal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There aren't many moves in the game that have a chance of actively harming you without any benefit to compensate, so it sticks out as a pretty weird (wyrd, even) oddity to me.

edit: I guess my personal logic is, why would you ever use it at all if it has the chance to do nothing? I can understand making it have a wide range so that it's not something you can rely on as you can with Vestal healing, but it's not worth using at all if it can hurt you for no benefit imo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 11, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

true, but I think the big reeeee factor is the idea of a heal 'missing'

E: why attack if it can do nothing?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

true, but I think the big reeeee factor is the idea of a heal 'missing'

E: why attack if it can do nothing?

I don't think it's fair to compare actions you take against enemies and actions performed on your own team. If you consider wyrd heal's potential for 0 to be a 'miss', it is the only team buff move I'm aware of that can do so and again sticks out against the grain!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The question of whether the power of forbidden knowledge is worth the risk is the whole point of the class ffs.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

If you're playing Bloodmoon or Stygian, where losing a character counts towards a potential game over, why would you risk rolling "0" from the RNG of Wyrd Reconstruction?

Or, to use Joseph Anderson's argument about DD being too grindy, why would you spend several hours leveling up a character, only to lose them because your Occultist rolled 0? You pretty much have to bring a backup/secondary healer, or your time investment could get flushed down the toilet because of RNG.

In many cases, you're better off just putting the Occultist in position 3 and using him more offensively. Neuter Champion enemies with Weakening Curse, then use Sacrifical Stab or Abyssal Artillery as his offense skills. For his final slot, you could either pick Vulnerability Hex (if you don't have another marker), or Wyrd Reconstruction as a backup, non-essential heal.

At least Weakening Curse is consistent, you can prevent a ton of incoming damage with that ability.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
forbidden knowledge that sometimes just don't work

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

CJacobs posted:

I don't think it's fair to compare actions you take against enemies and actions performed on your own team.

actually it is

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

my suggestion is to leave him as he is. the +0 heal possibility is another decision to make when teambuilding and is a risk in a game that is all about managing risk

This. I can understand the sentiment, since the Flagellant's power creep has seriously encroached on the Occultist's trademark strength of being able to pretty much fully heal team members from death's door on a good roll, but the occasional 0 leads to the tensest moments, and the best Darkest Dungeon meme. I don't want to lose that. DD is about disposable heroes, Stygian mode is only an afterthought.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I just got back into this game to try out Crimson Court and other DLC. I've noticed that it also has steam workshop enabled - I've installed a few cosmetic mods - can anyone recommend some gameplay ones?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eugh I'm just not feeling the ios version.

its the hover over tooltips. my fat fingers are in the way!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drewjitsu posted:

Am I just super lucky and never really roll bad on occultist healing? Because his load out is the healing head + Churigon's Charm, and he rarely (if ever) rolls 0. A rough guess would be 0-1 times per dungeon.

I've used him as a main healer and have never had a problem with it. I usually have another character that can self heal in a pinch, but I was rarely hosed over, even with a low roll.

Same here, I started a new game the other night and I'm up to week 30 and I can count the number of sub-3 heals on one hand. I've been routinely bringing him as my only healer. The Bleed has almost never procced either.

I know the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data" but it really feels like there is something going on. Is he more likely to heal well when there's plenty of light? Or not stressed? It's crazy that in 10-12 hours of play both of my Occultists have been so lucky, whereas last time I played (month ago or two ago?) I got lots of 0-3 heals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

clockworkjoe posted:

I just got back into this game to try out Crimson Court and other DLC. I've noticed that it also has steam workshop enabled - I've installed a few cosmetic mods - can anyone recommend some gameplay ones?

I like the one that doubles inventory space. The icons get a bit squashed, but they are still pretty easy to see.