Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
It only started out as the 5 Reavers and 3 Blood Warriors from the £20 starter and now I'm trying to decide what to add next :/

Choices are:

- Chaos Warriors with Mark of Nurgle,
- Chaos Warriors with Mark of Tzeentch
- Tzaangor Skyfires
- Tzaangor Englightened.

The Tzaangor will probably be built as Skyfires to add some shootymans. Also I'm probably going to add some Plaguebearers and a Nurgle hero to balance out the Bloodletters and Slaughterpriest as well at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

jadebullet posted:

My Chaos Dwarves Test mini. Let me know what you think.

The purple accents really make it.

richyp posted:

Rush job as I think I'm red painted out.

5 Slaves to Darkness Warriors of Chaos with the mark of Khorne, to join the other batches of red and green guys I've got painted up. Probably paint the next 5 as Nurgle with 5 Tzeentch ones last.

Your rush jobs are better than my two weeks for a single model.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

It only started out as the 5 Reavers and 3 Blood Warriors from the £20 starter and now I'm trying to decide what to add next :/

Choices are:

- Tzaangor Skyfires
- Tzaangor Englightened.

The Tzaangor will probably be built as Skyfires to add some shootymans. Also I'm probably going to add some Plaguebearers and a Nurgle hero to balance out the Bloodletters and Slaughterpriest as well at some point.

At some point, please add some Slaanesh. Purple would fit in so well there.

I vote for Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Tzeentch.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zuul the Cat posted:

At some point, please add some Slaanesh. Purple would fit in so well there.

I vote for Chaos Warriors with the Mark of Tzeentch.

I'll do Slaanesh eventually, but I'll need to get some Demonettes for the spares to add to the Warriors first.

I've assembled a Tzeentch-ish unit, basically a bird headed Champion with some scrolls and a hacked off staff head for the banner top (guess the Tzaangors will definitely have to be Skyfires now).

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

richyp posted:

Choices are:

- Tzaangor Skyfires
- Tzaangor Englightened.

Dang it, I wish I could even approach your ratio of speed to quality. I've got so many frickin' Bones to get through before I even start counting my GW stuff. These guys are great!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is interested, i'm unloading my Ironjawz. You can see all the stuff I have via this link. Message me on there or here.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

If anyone is interested, i'm unloading my Ironjawz. You can see all the stuff I have via this link. Message me on there or here.

I was literally just about to ask in another thread where a good place to sell/trade minis is. Never heard of that site, have you done many trades there?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Dang it, I wish I could even approach your ratio of speed to quality. I've got so many frickin' Bones to get through before I even start counting my GW stuff. These guys are great!

I cut corners by not painting the back of them (joke, but someone asked me a few years ago because I never post rear shots). Painting the Khorne guys is pretty quick as Red over grey followed by a couple of sparse highlights is a lot easier than colour schemes for some reason. The 5 Seraphon Saurus Riders I posted a bit ago took me about a week with a couple of hours a day, compared to those 5 Chaos Warriors which were just an evening. Same with the Nurgle guys, I painted the 5 in parallel but the two fleshy dudes took at least 3 times longer to paint than the mostly green ones for the same reason.

I messed up though as I've built the box of Chaos Warriors as:
- 5 Khorne themed
- 5 Tzeentch
- 5 Nurgle

Then I read the actual Warscroll to realise minimum unit size is 10, so instead of just 10 more to paint, it's 10 more then another 15 to buy, build and paint :/

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shadin posted:

I was literally just about to ask in another thread where a good place to sell/trade minis is. Never heard of that site, have you done many trades there?

Yeah, I've been a member there for years, have done tons of trades. There's trade reference system built in where you can check if they've actually sent items, etc. Sorta like ebay.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Just got 5 Wyldwood bases for 50 bucks. Winning.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
That is a great deal

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Yeah, that's a great enough deal to make me mad at an internet stranger. I need at least 3 more.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I just got 25 Blood Warriors, Exalted Death Bringer, Aspiring Death Bringer, Skullgrinder, Khorgorath, and Blades of Khorne book on ebay for £60. Happy with that

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have 4000 points of Bloodbound in a Box of Shame in my office. I am hoping to get to them this year.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Has my first game with them yesterday just the starter set contents versus my sons 1400 points of Seraphon. We used the new Open War cards and it was great fun. Squeezed out a Sudden Death Assassination victory. Seraphon are super tricky now with their teleport ability and sneaky chameleon skinks.
Really likes the Blood Tithe mechanic. Blood Rain saved my bacon in the last turn. Also Blood Reavers with no support die super quickly.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Speaking of Blodbound, I grabbed one of the Thunder and Blood starters yesterday for the Bloodstoker, more Reavers (only had 5 from the even cheaper starter) and the Stormcast to pad out the undersized 2 units I have as well as add a General to them. I was really hoping the Khorgorath would look better in person as I wanted a nice larger centrepiece for them, something akin to a hellbrute, but it's tiny head thing really isn't doing it for me.
I only went in the GW for some more Chaos Warriors, but I came out with Thunder and Blood, the 30th Anniversary marine and some blue paint. They tried to sell me a section of the Realm of Battle board to do the Armies on Parade thing too, but meh. I forgot the Warriors :/

So now my Chaos Checklist is:

code:
FINISHED

- Lord of Khorne (Slaves to Darkness)
- 5 Chaos Warriors of Khorne (Slaves to Darkness, undersized)
- 5 Putrid Blightkings (Nurgle Rotbringers,)
- 10 Bloodletters (Blades of Khorne)
- 1 Slaughterpriest (Blades of Khorne)
- 5 Blood Warriors (Blades of Khorne)
- 5 Bloodreavers (Blades of Khorne, undersized)

VARIOUS STAGES
- 5 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch (Slaves to Darkness, Assembled, undersized)
- 5 Chaos Warriors of Nurgle (Slaves to Darkness, Assembled, undersized)
- 5 Bloodreavers (Blades of Khorne, Assembled, to add to undersized unit above)
- 10 Bloodreavers (Blades of Khorne, sprue)
- 12 Bloodwarriors (Blades of Khorne, sprue)
- 3 Mighty Skullcrushers (Blades of Khorne, sprue)
- 1 Khorgorath (Blades of Khorne, sprue)
After grabbing the other 15 Chaos Warriors, assembling the Stormcast stuff and a tonne of Seraphon and finding some sort of Chaos centrepiece model my next couple of months of painting are covered.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
code:

FINISHED:

ON SPRUE:
2 x Mighty Lord of Khorne
1 x Exalted Deathbringer
1 x Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear
1 x Aspiring Deathbringer
2 x Bloodsecrator
2 x Bloodstoker
1 x Skullgrinder
3 x Slaughterpriest

25x Blood Warriors
60x Bloodreavers
20x Warmongers
20x Skullreapers (using Blood warrior legs from ebay)
6 x Khorgoraths

I will get to them this year, right?

If you want heroes get the Gorechosen game.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

dexefiend posted:

code:
FINISHED:

ON SPRUE:
2 x Mighty Lord of Khorne
1 x Exalted Deathbringer
1 x Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear
1 x Aspiring Deathbringer
2 x Bloodsecrator
2 x Bloodstoker
1 x Skullgrinder
3 x Slaughterpriest

25x Blood Warriors
60x Bloodreavers
20x Warmongers
20x Skullreapers (using Blood warrior legs from ebay)
6 x Khorgoraths
I will get to them this year, right?

If you want heroes get the Gorechosen game.

Ok you win. I did forget 3 Skyfires though .

I was thinking more monster/big daemon of some sort, as I'm pretty much entirely infantry. In other words something like the Chaos Warshrine, a Daemon Prince, One of the Nurgle Maggot Riding Guys, a Bloodthirster or Skarbrand.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
You can't go wrong with a Bloodthirster or Skarbrand.

Being able to summon Demons is pretty rad for not having them get shot to pieces.

(Can you summon Skarbrand?)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

dexefiend posted:

You can't go wrong with a Bloodthirster or Skarbrand.

Being able to summon Demons is pretty rad for not having them get shot to pieces.

(Can you summon Skarbrand?)

He doesn't have a "Summon Skarbrand" spell mentioned on his Warscroll so it'll probably be down to the Bloodthirster or Daemon Prince. Now if only I had some blue Tzeentch dudes that were actually finished to do some summoning...

I really need to sit down get some more paint on these guys.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Moose-Alini posted:

The purple accents really make it.

Thanks. I wanted some sort of splash of color to take them out of just being a sea of metal, and I've been trying to avoid too much red on them since everyone seems to go lava themed for them. I'm really happy with how the purple came out.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

He doesn't have a "Summon Skarbrand" spell mentioned on his Warscroll so it'll probably be down to the Bloodthirster or Daemon Prince. Now if only I had some blue Tzeentch dudes that were actually finished to do some summoning...

I really need to sit down get some more paint on these guys.

I'm very much looking forward to how these guys turn out.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm very much looking forward to how these guys turn out.

Should be done in an hour or so, once I've based them and finished the highlights on the blue. Probably be tomorrow as I've just been reminded there's some Expanse to catch up on.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Awesome. What's the approach for the blue armor and shield? Looking to do something similar for my Tzeentch chaos warriors.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

richyp posted:

Should be done in an hour or so, once I've based them and finished the highlights on the blue. Probably be tomorrow as I've just been reminded there's some Expanse to catch up on.

Looking great!

If I ever go Chaos, I'm gonna want Tzeench, and based around a core of Chaos Warriors. Though I wonder what benefits Slave to Darkness get for being Tzeench.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Rhaegar posted:

Awesome. What's the approach for the blue armor and shield? Looking to do something similar for my Tzeentch chaos warriors.

Thanks, the blue is:
- Thousand Sons Blue (really nice colour, have to thin a lot though and apply a couple of coats),
- Drakenhoff in the recesses
- Tidy up blue
- 1:1 Thousand Sons Blue and Temple Guard Blue highlight
- Temple Guard Blue highlight
- Baharoth Blue point highlights

JcDent posted:

Though I wonder what benefits Slave to Darkness get for being Tzeench.

Looking at some of the Warscrolls, a Lord can pass on his Mark of X bonus to 1 unit with the same mark within 10" in the command phase. So a Lord with mark of Tzeentch can give his +1 to save to a unit with that mark for that round.

Other units in the game also offer benefits to other units with the same mark, e.g. Warriors with Khorne are Khorne Mortals, so if a Khorne unit has an ability that affects Khorne, they can apply to any unit with Khorne keyword. Most of the Slaves to Darkness units can be marked and therefore work really well with the other Chaos allegiences, such as Bloodbound, Disiples of Tzeentch, Nurgle Rotbringers, Clan Pestilens when marked accordingly etc..

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

richyp posted:

- 1:1 Thousand Sons Blue and Temple Guard Blue highlight

just have to chime in and say, have you tried using ahriman blue for this? from what I can see, it looks like it is in the middle of thousand sons and temple guard already.

They're really awesome looking chaos warriors by the way, and you're making me want to paint some too

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Texmo posted:

just have to chime in and say, have you tried using ahriman blue for this? from what I can see, it looks like it is in the middle of thousand sons and temple guard already.

They're really awesome looking chaos warriors by the way, and you're making me want to paint some too

I saw Ahriman Blue in the local GW when I grabbed the Thousand Sons blue, but then remembered I have a lot of blues already. I only bought TS Blue because it was a base paint so when thinned it'd only need a couple of coats rather than 4-5 of an equivalent layer paint :)

TS Blue -> Temple Guard -> Baharroth has a pretty subtle step between them too, so the 50/50 mix can probably be skipped, the only place I can even notice it on the finished guys is where the highlights meet the base coat. The centre of the top edge of the horn blower's shield is pretty much the only example I can see of that mix on the photo.

I posted them in the Miniatures Thread but here they are again finished.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Shadespire stuff, looks like Fyreslayers and Skaven are getting gangs from this artwork GW just released:

Sign me up for Team Rat.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I bought the £20 starter set for this stupid game and am painting the stormcast. What direction does one go to collect these things? The store folks are nice but they're obviously pushing me towards the big box sets, and I kinda just want to grab a Venator or Questor and play some skirmish.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I was actually intrigued by one small bit of lore in that article. The Stormcast are fighting over the 'shade glass' currency the game uses because it allows them to retain more of the personality and memories when they're reborn.

It's just a tiny thing that they drummed up to give them a reason to fight for the maguffin but at least it fleshed them out a little more.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Why are the orks doing it, then?

Also, if you're going for skirmish, just buy what fits skirmish.

Like Knight-Questor.

Rerollable 3+.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

The Deleter posted:

I bought the £20 starter set for this stupid game and am painting the stormcast. What direction does one go to collect these things? The store folks are nice but they're obviously pushing me towards the big box sets, and I kinda just want to grab a Venator or Questor and play some skirmish.

I started with the £20 last month, and have kind of gone out of control (scroll back for a glimpse into madness). Do you have the Skirmish Rules, they kind of limit you as to what you can choose vs full fat AoS where it's pretty much I like rats and beastmen I'll use them both in a Grand Alliance, or I only like Stormcasts so I'll have a pure Stormcast list with its bonuses and so on.

For Skirmish it'll depend on what Renown (Points) Score you're aiming to play e.g. a Questor (20pts) is 4pts cheaper than a Venetor (24pts) which in Skirmish is an extra Liberator model. If you're starting at 25pts (as per the recommendation, which is crap) it might not even be possible to make a legal list as it requires 3 models, one of which being a hero.

If you're going pure Stormcast Skirmish I can post the costs if you need them?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Shadeglass is the new Warpstone then?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

TKIY posted:

Shadeglass is the new Warpstone then?

Shadeglass is harped on about a lot in the FrostgraveSkirmish rule book.

"No treasure is more precious than the knowledge of shadeglass"

Dunno, the knowledge of a Ceramite White that doesn't turn to poo poo the day after it's opened seems more valuable personally.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JcDent posted:

Why are the orks doing it, then?

Are you asking what reason orks have for fighting?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

richyp posted:

Shadeglass is harped on about a lot in the FrostgraveSkirmish rule book.

"No treasure is more precious than the knowledge of shadeglass"

Dunno, the knowledge of a Ceramite White that doesn't turn to poo poo the day after it's opened seems more valuable personally.

It's an ancient trick question, the real answer is Ulthwan Grey.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

SteelMentor posted:

It's an ancient trick question, the real answer is Ulthwan Grey.

Which is great for 99% of the white area, but for that little specular dot I needs me some pure uncut shadeglass/ceramic white. (The real answer is don't paint white)

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

richyp posted:

(The real answer is don't paint white)

True wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

richyp posted:

I started with the £20 last month, and have kind of gone out of control (scroll back for a glimpse into madness). Do you have the Skirmish Rules, they kind of limit you as to what you can choose vs full fat AoS where it's pretty much I like rats and beastmen I'll use them both in a Grand Alliance, or I only like Stormcasts so I'll have a pure Stormcast list with its bonuses and so on.

For Skirmish it'll depend on what Renown (Points) Score you're aiming to play e.g. a Questor (20pts) is 4pts cheaper than a Venetor (24pts) which in Skirmish is an extra Liberator model. If you're starting at 25pts (as per the recommendation, which is crap) it might not even be possible to make a legal list as it requires 3 models, one of which being a hero.

If you're going pure Stormcast Skirmish I can post the costs if you need them?

I don't have the rulebook but I have the gist of what's up with it. I think, checking the points costs on the warscroll builder, that a Questor + Storm of Sigmar is 49 Renown or something? I think 50 is what my club is starting at with their campaign. I raised the possibility of a Venetor because a) the model looks cool and b) I'm wondering how vital bringing some form of ranged attack is, and I'm not in the mood for shelling out for Judicators right now.

• Locked thread