Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is Hacking 4 worth investing into? So far the only rank 4 lock I remember running into is the lift panel for Alex's office, and I imagine there is probably a combo note for that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i loved how the eels were both a dishonoured nod and actual lore

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Vakal posted:

Is Hacking 4 worth investing into? So far the only rank 4 lock I remember running into is the lift panel for Alex's office, and I imagine there is probably a combo note for that somewhere.

IMO, no. There is no worthwhile loot locked behind hacking 4 that can't also be grabbed by alternate means. Although I can't remember if it's hacking 3 or 4 that allows you to hack corrupted operators. If you want to do that (you shouldn't, they're pretty worthless as allies) then maybe?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have a quest about someone whose tracking bracelet was deactivated?

Oh, that sounds familiar. Will check that out then, thanks for the tip. Well, after a second go through Psychotronics now I am a very good hacker/engineer/lifter/jumper/etc.

Also the flight just clicked for me today. I had been slowly making my way around outside and rotating only very specifically while stationary but the controls are actually really intuitive when you start just blasting around. So I guess GUTS part 2 will be soon. Need revenge on those jerks in the pipe as well. Although Chief Jerk in there has to be Josh loving Dalton. Had to look him up in the end and was rather amused that typing "Prey J" was enough for Google to autocomplete.

Oh also I got stuck in a vent and could only escape by dropping an apple I was holding and mimicking it so I'm glad I grabbed that

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vakal posted:

I'm probably missing some specifics. But High hacking is USUALLY more a matter of convenience compared to splurging on higher repairs. Take that lift you mentioned for example, all it does is save you from having to do some easy garden and rock platforming to get up there.

Though Hacking 4 is also you use to Hack black ops Operators. while they are around.

But in GENERAL, Repair > Hacking in frequency of QoL. If I had to pick only one or the other, I'd go with Repairs just for being able to fix broken electrical boxes, along with the stray busted elevator or fabricator. Repair is able to do stuff that you can't work around in a practical manner, essentially. "Hmm, do I find the power off switch, or rush by while the busted panel is glued up? Or do I fix the electrical box, which also makes the desktop computers, fabricator, and recycler in this room work again?"

It's also cheaper to get relevant amounts, as Repair 2 out of 3 does 90% of what you need, while hacking doesn't open up most meaningful options until 3 out of 4.

Though, particularly if you are not splurging heavily in alien powers, you can afford both repair and hacking sooner or later without sacrificing direct rear end kicking ability.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 10, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

McDragon posted:

Oh, I just pieced together how the smuggling drop offs are hidden. Welp, gotta go open the rest up I guess. And I unlocked the first thing on the fire and electric powers, so I will be trying those out a bit soon.

Also I read there's some kind of movement enhancement thingy somewhere out in space, could someone tell me where please?

It's way, way out there, I don't think it's going to be possible to accurately describe where. IIRC the quest for locating it triggers off a transcribe right as you enter the arboretum from the GUTS

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Directions: Go out a lock. Move around the station until you are on the same side as the coraled shuttle with arboretum as UP.

Move vertically until you are slightly above the rotating signs, and looking slightly left of where the shuttle is (horizontally, it will be a little ways above you). Then head out into the radiation and the corpse will pop up with a beacon soon enough.

tl;dr: its down, left, and out of the coral shuttle

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

GlyphGryph posted:

Directions: Go out a lock. Move around the station until you are on the same side as the coraled shuttle with arboretum as UP.

Move vertically until you are slightly above the rotating signs, and looking slightly left of where the shuttle is (horizontally, it will be a little ways above you). Then head out into the radiation and the corpse will pop up with a beacon soon enough.

tl;dr: its down, left, and out of the coral shuttle

or just put his name in a security console and a marker will pop up directly on him

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I found the guy you all are talking about Grant Lockwood really easily by just flying to the Power Plant Airlock, floating up until I was on the same horizontal plane as the giant TRANSTAR board, and flying straight out to the radiation boundary. I grabbed it the first time I spaced walked, and boy is it useful for a Typhon only run!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ladron posted:

or just put his name in a security console and a marker will pop up directly on him

aren't you unable to do that until you reactivate his tracking bracelet in deep storage?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

QuarkJets posted:

aren't you unable to do that until you reactivate his tracking bracelet in deep storage?

aha maybe

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
researching my problem of the I and thou trophy not popping despite having high empathy, I read about some guy who said he had to repair the hull breach first. I repaired the hull breach during the story, does another one open at the end? where is it? there's no mission objective about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ladron posted:

researching my problem of the I and thou trophy not popping despite having high empathy, I read about some guy who said he had to repair the hull breach first. I repaired the hull breach during the story, does another one open at the end? where is it? there's no mission objective about it.

I don't remember when it pops up, but there is one breach at the hardware lab that you have to fix that device that stops breaches, and then there is another breach somewhere else that you have to fix with a gloo gun.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Cojawfee posted:

I don't remember when it pops up, but there is one breach at the hardware lab that you have to fix that device that stops breaches, and then there is another breach somewhere else that you have to fix with a gloo gun.

Yeah, I did both of those I am pretty sure, this new one gets mentioned right at the beginning of the end game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Seriously doubting that hull breaches have any effect on the achievement, this game's got some weird bugs but nothing that bizarre

Under your Stats tab do you have a Humans Killed number? And did you kill any of the mind-controlled humans, or allow them to blow up next to you? Keep in mind that sometimes killing a Telepath will occasionally cause some of its controlled humans to die unless you stun gun them first (or at least that was my experience) so bonus empathy from saving mind-controlled humans can be lost if you're not careful

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 11, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is it easy to get all humans saved as a human mod only run. I was wanting to do a human mod only save all humans run, and then do a typhon mod only kill all humans run. But it seems like you really need that mindjack mod in order to save some of the humans.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can free people with the stun gun

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
no humans killed, human powers only run, and igwe even said "wow super high empathy" during the post game.

I'll do my kill everyone run to get those achievements then try this one again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

^^^ Igwe says super high empathy even if you kill a few people. He said that for me in the run where I killed the prisoner, which definitely disqualifies you from the achievement

I did my save all humans run with no mods at all, fully upgrade your stun gun range and it's not too bad

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 11, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I did my murder run as human only and my empathy run as typhon only.

I do wonder how many people chose that particular combo.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Just got to psychotronics, but took a detour to the shuttle bay, and holy loving poo poo aaaaaaaaaaaa. I jump at most of the mimics breaking their cover and I hate myself for it. I also have yet to hack anything. After trying it once, I realized it was dumb and figured I could find my way into most things without it. So far so good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I did my murder run as human only and my empathy run as typhon only.

I do wonder how many people chose that particular combo.

I did something different; I did a No Needles full-empathy run, then reloaded a save right before the end and injected 1 typhon power, then beat the game again with only human powers and no-empathy.

Apparently just injecting one power right before the credits roll is enough for that duality achievement or whatever it's called

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I did something different; I did a No Needles full-empathy run, then reloaded a save right before the end and injected 1 typhon power, then beat the game again with only human powers and no-empathy.

Apparently just injecting one power right before the credits roll is enough for that duality achievement or whatever it's called

This is what I considered doing to get those three achievements, but I really want to dive into the mods I didn't try before.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ Igwe says super high empathy even if you kill a few people. He said that for me in the run where I killed the prisoner, which definitely disqualifies you from the achievement

no poo poo. well gently caress.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yes but a space station is very safe from natural pathogens

Not so much the interstellar pathogens, though.

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Beat it the other night. Got the "good" ending where they let you live and you take Alex's hand. Saved Mikhaila, helped the trapped humans in the Cargo Bay, restored oxygen and killed Dahl, used the nullwave transmitter to save the station. Didn't kill the psychopath impostor cook. Really wanted to, because as soon as I got into the cook's room to pick up the award and heard the transcribe, I could see that their faces didn't match up. Missed opportunity; There was just too much going on at once. All in all, I didn't feel like the ending had much of a plothole and it for the most part made sense to me. I definitely wasn't expecting it. Thought it was good, even if it was brief.

For those who have done a human skills only run: How does that change the ending scene? Are they more likely to let you live if you voluntarily rejected typhon abilities and went full human, even if you end up killing other people? I'm guessing combinations of having only done human abilities/saving people/only killing typhons just changes how much the operators in the final scene approve of you?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Amish Ninja posted:

Beat it the other night. Got the "good" ending where they let you live and you take Alex's hand. Saved Mikhaila, helped the trapped humans in the Cargo Bay, restored oxygen and killed Dahl, used the nullwave transmitter to save the station. Didn't kill the psychopath impostor cook. Really wanted to, because as soon as I got into the cook's room to pick up the award and heard the transcribe, I could see that their faces didn't match up. Missed opportunity; There was just too much going on at once. All in all, I didn't feel like the ending had much of a plothole and it for the most part made sense to me. I definitely wasn't expecting it. Thought it was good, even if it was brief.

For those who have done a human skills only run: How does that change the ending scene? Are they more likely to let you live if you voluntarily rejected typhon abilities and went full human, even if you end up killing other people? I'm guessing combinations of having only done human abilities/saving people/only killing typhons just changes how much the operators in the final scene approve of you?

Despite what the game leads you to believe, Typhon powers are irrelevant to the actual ending you receive. You get slightly different dialogue from the operators that acknowledges if you didn't take any powers, but that's all. The only factors going into the ending are how many humans you killed and how many "empathic" choices you made to try to save people.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

With full stealth upgrades being able to just sprint right at special phantoms and blast them apart with the shotgun is great fun.

e: that, along with the overkill five turrets I set up ended the cargo bay defense basically instantly. doors open, blam blam blam, everything gone. Would have used superthermal but I didn't want to freak everyone out. And then I saved which was a good idea because I then jammed a bunch of Neuromods in and a Nightmare started killing the survivors. Had to reload that even though I've been trying to live with my mistakes mainly.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 11, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's good to live with your mistakes! Makes these games a lot richer usually, though for something like that I can totally see loading.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So replaying the game to finish off the one ending I haven't tried for and since the patch dropped. I don't see it in the patch notes but I don't remember the door to the volunteer quarters at the beginning of the game being unpowered. Figured it was added in the patch. Was it always this way until you come back?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I believe its unpowered until you turn on the power? if its the door I am thinking of

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

With how much I sneak around, I should pick those upgrades soon.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

McDragon posted:

With full stealth upgrades being able to just sprint right at special phantoms and blast them apart with the shotgun is great fun.

I've probably converted 5% of the station's mass into pure shotgun shells by now.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I believe its unpowered until you turn on the power? if its the door I am thinking of

Yeah definitely this

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Reinstalled this game and I'm enjoying it so far

Just got to the Yellow Tulip right after getting the lift field. Which lead to this:

http://plays.tv/video/59b745dec74b8d46db/dance-party?from=user

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dyz posted:

Reinstalled this game and I'm enjoying it so far

Just got to the Yellow Tulip right after getting the lift field. Which lead to this:

http://plays.tv/video/59b745dec74b8d46db/dance-party?from=user

Is that some kind of upgraded shotgun like the golden gun? Or just a unique skin?

Edit: Oh wait, that was a pre-order thing wasn't it?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Is that some kind of upgraded shotgun like the golden gun? Or just a unique skin?

Edit: Oh wait, that was a pre-order thing wasn't it?

Pre order shotgun yeah. I think the only advantage is you get it before you get the normal shotgun since it's in Morgan's safe in the lobby.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cojawfee posted:

Is it easy to get all humans saved as a human mod only run. I was wanting to do a human mod only save all humans run, and then do a typhon mod only kill all humans run. But it seems like you really need that mindjack mod in order to save some of the humans.

Human only kill all humans makes more sense. :colbert: You're doing what needs to be done to keep the Typhon from reaching Earth.

Comedy answer, ending spoilers: it's the logical result of a Typhon comprehending humanity :v:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 12, 2017

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

GlyphGryph posted:

Just to make sure are we talking about the door inside the quarters because I remember that door opening when you turn the power on inside. I'm talking about the door to the volunteer area that has a keypad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yes, it finally did what I was hoping with a scare. Most of a room turning into Mimics. Plus it suckered me in with the obvious one before jumping me and that has always been one of my favourite videogame things.

Kind of broke it by making GBS threads it, running out of the room and superthermalling the door but it was good fun all the same.