Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I blame open world concepts, everyone wanted to be the next GTA and now we get these lovely oversized maps without the Rockstar pedigree.

It's like a cafeteria buffet, you have a wide degree of options but they're all poo poo and will give you the runs after a couple hours.

Some review had the best word for it, it's like after Assassin's Creed, every game decided to do the "tons of icons on a map" design so that one day every game could merge into the exact same massive project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as for Bioware's other games, I still love the poo poo out of ME3 as much as the ending fumbles the ball, because at the very least they weren't playing it safe like they did in DA:I and now ME:A.

DA2 was such a disaster that I can't really have any affection for it. It's like that weird "That didn't totally work but I appreciate what they were trying to do" feeling I got at the end of ME3, except spread out over an entire game, instead of just the last few hours of one. Literally every second I played it gave me the impression that something went very wrong when it was being developed. (the more obviously rushed parts of ME3 give me the same feeling but those are balanced out by some moments being the high points of the entire series)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

as for Bioware's other games, I still love the poo poo out of ME3 as much as the ending fumbles the ball, because at the very least they weren't playing it safe like they did in DA:I and now ME:A.

DA2 was such a disaster that I can't really have any affection for it. It's like that weird "That didn't totally work but I appreciate what they were trying to do" feeling I got at the end of ME3, except spread out over an entire game, instead of just the last few hours of one. Literally every second I played it gave me the impression that something went very wrong when it was being developed. (the more obviously rushed parts of ME3 give me the same feeling but those are balanced out by some moments being the high points of the entire series)

DA2 was made in, like, a year. I find a lot makes more sense with that context.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

chiasaur11 posted:

DA2 was made in, like, a year. I find a lot makes more sense with that context.

I mean, this isn't the most fair comparison because they had a ton of assets to reuse, but so was Fallout: New Vegas.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's bad enough we have to share this planet with people like you, but could you at least restrain yourself from derailing the gamer food thread?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean, this isn't the most fair comparison because they had a ton of assets to reuse, but so was Fallout: New Vegas.

I think, if I'm reading the sources right, New Vegas had a few months more. And that's on top of having a lot of assets available already, a basic structure set up, a combat engine, and so on. And even then, they had a bit of a nightmare launch (which, yeah, I'm fine with assigning Bethesda some of the blame for. Just remembering the history as best I can.)

It's not like Obsidian had it easy, and I'm fine with praising both the effort and the final product for New Vegas while merely noting circumstances for Dragon Age II, but it's not exactly an even comparison.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah not a greeeeeat comparison since vegas had like ~18 months while da2 had around 12 total where most of the programming was done in 8, although it is true that if da2 hadn't jumped engines to the slightly upgunned lycium engine they could've just re-used assets from da:o and da:a and not had such a rough cycle

considering all the crunch they also put on me:a with the last minute face engine changes, story changes, direction changes, etc being a programmer at modern bioware must be like purgatory on earth

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Mass effect 3's problem for me was that the ME2 cast only really existed in it to have possible deaths, and the majority were just "hey they're dead, isn't this game dark and sad" or just stupid deaths because they have to fill a quota

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

Mass effect 3's problem for me was that the ME2 cast only really existed in it to have possible deaths, and the majority were just "hey they're dead, isn't this game dark and sad" or just stupid deaths because they have to fill a quota

Only two of them had guaranteed deaths, and one of the two was a dead man walking from the moment we met him. Moreover, two of the three characters most likely to die had deaths that were central to one of the set-piece planets, giving them a pretty reasonable sized role in the narrative.

Did you just import a save with almost no-one loyal so they all got killed off in their cameos?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Only two of them had guaranteed deaths, and one of the two was a dead man walking from the moment we met him. Moreover, two of the three characters most likely to die had deaths that were central to one of the set-piece planets, giving them a pretty reasonable sized role in the narrative.

Did you just import a save with almost no-one loyal so they all got killed off in their cameos?

No I did all loyal, i just think other than Thane the rest are somewhat forced feeling for drama's sake, like Samara's possible death is definitely just melodramatic, Legion's sacrifice is dumb and did they ever give a reason why there wasn't a backup legion without full memory? though his side with the Quarians is pretty good since he actually tries to stop you unlike Tali's where she just peaces out off a cliff, and Mordin's seemed way too cliche

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Legion became a real boy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Legion's death is the only one that seems overly contrived imo. He just suddenly goes "Oh yeah I have to die for this to work later folks"

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Legion's death is the only one that seems overly contrived imo. He just suddenly goes "Oh yeah I have to die for this to work later folks"

It's contrived because the only ending is the Red ending. I turned the robots into real boys and then genocidally murdered them all a few moments later.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A hot dog, like all sandwiches, is gamer food.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ekusukariba posted:

No I did all loyal, i just think other than Thane the rest are somewhat forced feeling for drama's sake, like Samara's possible death is definitely just melodramatic, Legion's sacrifice is dumb and did they ever give a reason why there wasn't a backup legion without full memory? though his side with the Quarians is pretty good since he actually tries to stop you unlike Tali's where she just peaces out off a cliff, and Mordin's seemed way too cliche

I liked Mordin's a lot (assuming you take the version where he forces you to shoot him if you want to stop him) but I guess that a strong but good cliche counts as good writing for bioware these days

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

just put six or seven hot dogs on a single big plate and go to town

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Arglebargle III posted:

Hot dogs are no sandwiches

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kurtofan posted:

It's meat-like product between bread. It's a sandwich.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

what if its the dog in a folded piece of bread?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

Poors get out

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ekusukariba posted:

this is heresy

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also a sandwich like the venerable beef on weck.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ekusukariba posted:

The problem with Thane is that it makes me want to play a kung fu alien mans, and you can't play an alien anything except in MP.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

this is heresy
A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy.

Now a nice bratwurst with some sauerkraut and some fried potatoes? Downing with a good dunkelweissen? Perfect for purifying the galaxy.

Hot dog meat with two pieces of bread? Ugh. Let me guess what is next: topped with mayonnaise and American cheese?

Thor-Stryker posted:

It's contrived because the only ending is the Red ending. I turned the robots into real boys and then genocidally murdered them all a few moments later.

Yeah that part bummed me out. Years later and I'm still disappointed. Its why, yet again, so many people got turned off the ending. You work all this way to free the Geth. Legion goes out of his way to show you all Geth are NOT bad. EDI shows you AI isn't all bad. You go this far and they seem to hint that a robot might dream of electric sheep and, other than synthesis, you have to nuke them or control them. Control was okay with the issue that you might not trust them (good for the renegade Shep aside from the "you won't be a Shep on a throne off skulls ruling over it all") but I remember only briefly questioning the starchild why I had to kill them all. Sod that. Let me tell the starchild to gently caress off and blow up or control the collectors as I want. I know everyone rightly praises New Vegas constantly but they did it right. Let me have ending slides with far more closure even if you hint that some of my choices may gently caress up poo poo down the road. Also.... if a player has to go through a ton of optional bs to get a mega happy ending give us at least one ending where I'm chilling on a beach drinking boat drinks with all of my surviving crew like Jacob suggested.
Yeah it might be a little cheesy but if we work a ton with that goal in mind let me have it. Citadel was a nice way to make up for the ending letdown but I'd much rather have the final scene pan over all my guys as I sit down between Wrex and Garrus toasting one to the setting sun. I turn to Garrus and smile and he smiles back. I turn to Wrex and say
"Wrex"
"Sheperd"
Everyone drinks.
fade to black and que credits.

Wrex-Shep-Garrus
BroPatrol4Lyfe

edit: I'm still shocked to see XBox marketplace doesn't have ME:A for 10 bux. I can find the physical copies for cheaper. They have to know that NOBODY is going to buy this game at even close to the full price at this point. Why not just call it a day and sell it for 10 or the like? It can't be selling more than a few copies as it is.

EDIT2:Electric Boogaloo - meant to say not all bad

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 12, 2017

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Some review had the best word for it, it's like after Assassin's Creed, every game decided to do the "tons of icons on a map" design so that one day every game could merge into the exact same massive project.

This is one of the things I really like about the Destiny franchise. No open world nonsense. No crafting. No busy work. Hell, the sequel even did away with what weapon levelling and auto levelled you to max level once you complete the campaign.

The writing is laughably bad, but mechanics wise its nice to see something buck the obvious trends in AAA games.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Von_Doom posted:

edit: I'm still shocked to see XBox marketplace doesn't have ME:A for 10 bux. I can find the physical copies for cheaper. They have to know that NOBODY is going to buy this game at even close to the full price at this point. Why not just call it a day and sell it for 10 or the like? It can't be selling more than a few copies as it is.

EDIT2:Electric Boogaloo - mea

Call of Duty 2 is still like $40 on xbl so don't get your hopes up.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Thundercracker posted:

This is one of the things I really like about the Destiny franchise. No open world nonsense. No crafting. No busy work. Hell, the sequel even did away with what weapon levelling and auto levelled you to max level once you complete the campaign.

The writing is laughably bad, but mechanics wise its nice to see something buck the obvious trends in AAA games.

It's sad when "bucking the trend" means an MMO grind fest.

I'll take pretty much any single-player RPG over Destiny. Even Andromeda.

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 13, 2017

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

im cute posted:

Call of Duty 2 is still like $40 on xbl so don't get your hopes up.

At least COD2 was popular at a time. Just.... seems off to me. I'd actually buy Andromeda for 5-10. I know it sucks but.... I want to experience it at least once.... just not enough to pay like anything close to a normal game price for it.

So gaming food megathread I ask:

Do they make sandwich standard size oreo cookies? Cool if I have to order online. I'm thinking of making a Super Murrican Goon Sandwich for Freedom.
I'm thinking
-Oreo cookie for the bread. Prefer to dye blue or white. But if I went triple oreo bread then I could red, white and blue.
-inside of cooking dipped in chocolate
-fried chicken patty
-bacon of course
-Cheese of America
-that awful squeeze cheese in a can that is so popular there
But I want to make this sandwich bleed red, white and blue. I want it to hate commie medical care and edumacation. So I need something... more. Should I add?
Pickles? Not my usual kosher pickle of course.
Hot dogs? Cut in half?
Tomato? No lettuce as that is for hippies.
I'm thinking frosting. Super sweet red frosting to represent High Fructose Corn Syrup.
Those good or should I add something else?

Also for side:
Fried pickles, choco dipped corn chips or try and re-fry corn chips with a corn meal breading? I figure frying is the best route but....willing to take suggestions as long as it fits the theme. I want to make this a surprise dinner for some friends. No set time... just a random surprise.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Store bought chocolate cream cookies? Filthy casual. Don't come back until you can press a cream sandwich with nothing but your two hands and a fedora.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I made bacon and maple syrup ice cream once. You could work that into a 'murica ice cream sandwich. As long as it's Vermont syrup, not FILTHY COMMIE PINKO SCUM CANADIAN SLIME!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Look like Mass Effect Andromeda has hit the $15 point as Amazon keeps lowering the price to clear out all remaining physical copies.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZPZQKIG?th=1

Dare we see this game break $10 just a little over 6 month after release?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Has it only been 6 months?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Almost to the day: Andromeda was released on March 21st.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

It's only been 6 months and I've already forgotten huge chunks of Andromeda's cast and story.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I can't recall all six of the party members. I keep thinking Tali was one of them for some reason.

Peebee, Drax, Liam, Jaal, human lady and #6 ???

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

Look like Mass Effect Andromeda has hit the $15 point as Amazon keeps lowering the price to clear out all remaining physical copies.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZPZQKIG?th=1

Dare we see this game break $10 just a little over 6 month after release?
It annoys me that this is only for physical copies, and the digital copies are still $40.

I think I'm gonna pick it up anyway.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Peebee wanted remnant tech and revenge on her gf
Drax wanted to save the seed bank and expose some guy on the citadel-nexus place
Liam, I remember you invade a junk ship to release some prisoners but have no idea why, or why you were supposed to be mad at him afterward
Human lady saved the asari ship
Veeta (Vetra? Vextra?) had the idiot kid sister
Jaal wanted to save his siblings from the anti-alien guys

it's all coming back to me now, unfortunately

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

im cute posted:

It's only been 6 months and I've already forgotten huge chunks of Andromeda's cast and story.

I forgot major quest details while I was in the middle of said quests

meanwhile I remember like, almost everyone from Redcliffe in DA:O which came out in TYOOL 2009

because they were characterized well and when you talked with them there was a close-up on their faces

and they all had different faces

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

It annoys me that this is only for physical copies, and the digital copies are still $40.

I think I'm gonna pick it up anyway.

it's worth $10, now, after all the patches that fixed/papered over the most glaring surface problems, and with the cold realization that the quarian ark plot hook will never ever be fulfilled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

I forgot major quest details while I was in the middle of said quests

meanwhile I remember like, almost everyone from Redcliffe in DA:O which came out in TYOOL 2009

because they were characterized well and when you talked with them there was a close-up on their faces

and they all had different faces

different faces? that is truly beyond the pale.