Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Completely unrelated to everything, I got an email informing me that the Mysterious Package Company is working on 3 new experiences soon! Yay, can't wait to look at them! Won't buy because their poo poo's expensive (and rightfully so) but it's cool to go window shopping.

For those who don't know, which I'm going to assume is most of you, the Mysterious Package Company is a company where you pay for these various different experiences that involve receiving a few mailings every few weeks containing letters, pictures, and little doodads addressed to you and involving you in a secret adventure about things such as, say, time travel, or cold war science experiments gone wrong, or pirate treasure, or haunted books, or cursed idols, with it leading up to you receiving a crate you've gotta pry open with a special item that you can use as a conversation piece to talk about the whole thing and be reminded of this neat thing you got to take part in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I took interest in that kind of thing when I was younger for a while. Books and puzzle games that led to real world locations, some focused on perspectives or points of view and things like that. I never got into it enough to actually seek these places out and plus I was just a teen at the time, so it's not like I could hike to socal just to see the Three Converging Points of the Anchor of the Lost Isles or whathaveyou... but I had this really deep interest in puzzles and other stuff like that which turned a riddle in a book into a real world thing.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I have some breaking news: Call of Duty is coming to the year 2018!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ostentatious posted:

I have some breaking news: Call of Duty is coming to the year 2018!

No fukken way bruh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm no good at real life puzzle stuff, I can solve video game puzzles all day but as soon as you throw a puzzle at me that requires me to decipher a poem or an obscure geographical reference or whatever my eyes cross

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silent Hill 3 on Hard puzzle mode thing is the worst, the first real one that expects you to know in which order Shakespeare wrote plays, ugh.
Well in 2003 before the proliferation of Wikipedia anyway.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I hear the next CoD is called Duty Called, just to spice things up a bit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love that awful puzzle! I used it as a test for bonus features for the SH3 let's play I never did but might eventually get around to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcE-f0teM04

And even then I got some stuff wrong because in the words of my cool friend Rico from Killzone, what the gently caress is a Shakespeare

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I took interest in that kind of thing when I was younger for a while. Books and puzzle games that led to real world locations, some focused on perspectives or points of view and things like that. I never got into it enough to actually seek these places out and plus I was just a teen at the time, so it's not like I could hike to socal just to see the Three Converging Points of the Anchor of the Lost Isles or whathaveyou... but I had this really deep interest in puzzles and other stuff like that which turned a riddle in a book into a real world thing.

Well thankfully these things aren't necessarily "puzzles." They might have puzzle elements to them but you're going to receive the mail regardless, you don't have to solve a puzzle in order to obtain your next mailing.

To give you an idea, this is their Risen experience which was bought for me by a friend for my birthday last year.

In Risen, I received a few different packages. The first several were largely just envelopes. The first one contained mostly faux-legal documentation explaining that something vague had happened and informed me that, as the last relative they could get in contact with, I was to receive something. The second mailing contained information on my so-called relative. A badge and a few letters discussing experiments and an outbreak at a village on an island off the coast of Kazakhstan, with a map showing the location of the village included. The penultimate mailing contained a wooden crate that had been nailed shut. I pried open the crate and inside was a bunch of straw and stuff packing everything in there to keep it safe. There was some more information stating that the contents of the crate need to be kept as safe as possible, that it contains something incredibly dangerous that had been developed as a super soldier serum during the cold war but had very clearly gone wrong. At the bottom of the crate was a dusty, wooden stand with a plaque that had Cyrillic on it and a test tube clamp bolted to the stand. In the clamp itself was a test tube, corked, containing a green liquid and semi-preserved, severed finger.

They do another thing called Curios and Conundrums which is a quarterly subscription box thing where I guess in the past they've had puzzles for people to solve. I heard that for their third season of packages (each year being a season), there were a meta-puzzle the people receiving the package could solve and one of the packages contained a fake gold coin but whoever discovered and solved the puzzle first would get a real gold version of that coin.

Semi-related, have you seen this video? You would love it. It is about a contest that an artist ran regarding his paintings and including a puzzle within for people to solve in order to try and obtain some jewelry, as well as a followup contest by the winner of the first contest where he tried to make his own contest with the same prize but unlike the first contest, his contest was awful and involved a video game instead of a book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouvi-fwrfIY

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Things I learned today: the assassins in Half-Life have jiggle physics.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

FirstAidKite posted:

Mysterious Package Company
Before reading your full post I thought it's one of those mystery package things one of which ended up being a trainwreck in sa mart.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
needed something less stressful to play on the laptop than Darkest Dungeon, saw STEINS;GATE was on sale for $14, am playing it now

i am prepared to face to anime

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Steins;Gate is a bit of a slow burn but its cool and good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Palpek posted:

Before reading your full post I thought it's one of those mystery package things one of which ended up being a trainwreck in sa mart.

sounds like someone didn't win big

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

oddium posted:

sounds like someone didn't win big
The best post was somebody getting a single white t-shirt with a battery-powered sign at the front saying 'hot' or something which is all cool and good if only it wasn't an S size :smith:.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Samus Returns has an 88 on metacritic hooray

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raxivace posted:

Steins;Gate is a bit of a slow burn but its cool and good.

I certainly wasn't expecting an anime VN to reference John Titor :stare:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

I certainly wasn't expecting an anime VN to reference John Titor :stare:
It definitely really loves time travel references and conventions all around, from the obvious to the more obscure like Titor. If you're on board with stuff like that and the cast in general even though they're just kind of goofing around the start, you're going to be in for a treat once the poo poo hits the fan.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is Titor really that obscure? I had heard about him years and years ago long before Steins;Gate had ever been made- I figured his story was just common knowledge at this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd never heard of him before S;G

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
So is Everybody's Golf just Hot Shots and it was apparently called Everybody's Golf in every single release in every single region in the world except in USA where they were all called Hot Shots?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only place I ever heard of John Titor was on Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Is Titor really that obscure? I had heard about him years and years ago long before Steins;Gate had ever been made- I figured his story was just common knowledge at this point.

I didn't realize he was a real world thing until after I beat the game :sweatdrop:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Saint Freak posted:

So is Everybody's Golf just Hot Shots and it was apparently called Everybody's Golf in every single release in every single region in the world except in USA where they were all called Hot Shots?

Yes

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Well that raises some questions, but I love me some Hot Shots so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

Well that raises some questions, but I love me some Hot Shots so

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Really makes you think

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Does that pose in the American boxart even make sense

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Until I blew the picture all the way up I thought that gentleman was wearing a bandolier of ammunition around his neck.

A missed opportunity if you ask me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's golf. But it's not for Pussies!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If you read it as a comic strip its the story of glasses man sneaking onto the course and stealing that girl's golf club.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I'm no good at real life puzzle stuff, I can solve video game puzzles all day but as soon as you throw a puzzle at me that requires me to decipher a poem or an obscure geographical reference or whatever my eyes cross

The worst is when you remember a video game puzzle from back in the day being super impossible and then on a replay you just realized that no, you were just a stupid kid.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The guy on the american box art isn't nearly angry enough

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Raxivace posted:

Does that pose in the American boxart even make sense

Yeah it's called a 'bunt' made popular by the American sport of baseball.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is that Adam Jensen

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Andrast posted:

The guy on the american box art isn't nearly angry enough

Should have gotten American Kirby on the case

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't ask for this handicap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I do not like the american Kirby covers. Kirby does not get angry.

• Locked thread