Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Foxhound posted:

Nice to see that Kojima was the same in his younger years.

Policenaut is basically Lethal Weapon in space with two horny old men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"If you could stealth kill these guys, it'd be way easier", Matt says totally forgetting that you absolutely can stealth kill in Gettin' Up.

This is definitely the new THUG1 in terms of not paying attention.

That's more a symptom of the massive production hiccups re: consoles dying and Woolie vacationing that have left big gaps in their play sessions.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Also, just because the game has a mechanic in it, doesn't mean Matt or Woolie are capable of doing it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
blazing hot take I think I like dead space 2 more than RE4

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ah kojima

what an rear end in a top hat

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My brother messaged me with a "I'm watching the Dead Space 2 LP and I don't understand how Pat is good at the videogame this does not compute". I felt the same watching him play Sonic.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

blazing hot take I think I like dead space 2 more than RE4

I've never particularly liked any Resident Evil game. The only one I ever finished was 5 in co-op. What makes Re4 so good compared to other entries?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dias posted:

My brother messaged me with a "I'm watching the Dead Space 2 LP and I don't understand how Pat is good at the videogame this does not compute". I felt the same watching him play Sonic.

A hidden function of Crazy Talk is that it sometimes makes Pat good at games in order to make Crazy Talk's bullshit happen.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It hurts me to hear him diss the Force Gun, the platonic ideal of shotties.

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Foxhound posted:

I've never particularly liked any Resident Evil game. The only one I ever finished was 5 in co-op. What makes Re4 so good compared to other entries?

RE4 essentially invented (or at least popularized and codified the conventions of) the modern concept of the Action Horror genre, leading to the trend of Horror games that incorporated less elements of Adventure games Survival Horror was known for, and more of the elements typical of Third-Person shooters. A fair amount of the reverence surrounding it has less to do with it's own quality (although it is quite good and has a lot of smart design in it) and more to do with the uniqueness it had at the time, and the effect its had on game design trends.

The games following it were always going to be living in the shadow of The Game That Invented A Genre, which was always going to be a tough act to follow. RE5 is usually considered RE4, but less good, and RE6 is uniquely bad. RE7 on the other hand takes a lot of clear influence from games like Outlast or PT, and so can't really hope for the same legacy as RE4, but has been received quite well in comparison to RE5 and 6. On the other hand, earlier RE entries are pretty well-respected for the most part, but were a lot more niche then RE4 or the games that followed were, essentially being explorations in Player Depowerment, which is not the usual appeal of a video game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
RE4 was such an influential game that it created two genres, action horror games and character action games!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Krazyface posted:

It hurts me to hear him diss the Force Gun, the platonic ideal of shotties.

Same. It's a space shotgun that shoots weaponized gravity at things that chunks them up, how could you ever dislike that?
Well minus all the exploding enemies discouraging close range weapons.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
But that's the thing! The alt-fire is a long-range blast that cripples most enemies in one shot!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I completely forgot about most alt fires but I remember never letting go of the Force Gun so that must be why.
Does the Flamethrower shoot fireballs as an alt? I think I remember that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pretty sure yeah, it throws like a globe of burning poo poo and the ripper alt-fire was always sadly kind of lame, where it just spits a saw out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Man, Policenauts is Even More Kojima than I thought possible. And I've played every Metal Gear Solid game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
What is this high-quality bullshit on Matt's channel, this is not the level of effort I expect from the Okay Fuccbois. :colbert:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i remember thinking the force gun was bad in dead space 1

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Was Made in Abyss mentioned in today's podcast? I didn't have time to watch letter time, but if it was, then I was heard.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo Paige bullshitted a win on her second PUBG game on stream with 2 kills.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Paige loving beat PUBG first try

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Paige broke down crying too for whatever reason, haha.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bigger news is that she can actually see now with her new contacts.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tae posted:

Bigger news is that she can actually see now with her new contacts.
MY BRAND

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Dias posted:

Holy poo poo Paige bullshitted a win on her second PUBG game on stream with 2 kills.

God drat lol

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Someone's got to be keeping track of all these Matt vacations and I want to see the graph he comes out with.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nilbop posted:

Someone's got to be keeping track of all these Matt vacations and I want to see the graph he comes out with.
Woolie goes to Johannesburg?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

This opening to the podcast was a day too early.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm sorry for using this thread as the general "talk about gaming stuff", but I wanted to say that Nintendo Brasil solved the scarcity issue when it comes to the SNES Classic here!

...because it costs R$ 1000. The exchange rate is 3.2:1 so it's basically priced the same as a PS4 in the USA. What the gently caress, Nintendo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nilbop posted:

I don't blame him for taking many vacations. He's got a successful business and has recorded plenty of content for the channel in advance, clearly, so why not? Hell if I could have that job and take a week off every month, while working my rear end off to create enough content for the weeks I'm off during the other weeks, I totally would.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

I'm sorry for using this thread as the general "talk about gaming stuff", but I wanted to say that Nintendo Brasil solved the scarcity issue when it comes to the SNES Classic here!

...because it costs R$ 1000. The exchange rate is 3.2:1 so it's basically priced the same as a PS4 in the USA. What the gently caress, Nintendo.

Not knowing a lot about Brazil's tariff situation, could this be an import/export tax thing? I remember that the PS4 was also massively expensive when it came out there.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Angry_Ed posted:

Not knowing a lot about Brazil's tariff situation, could this be an import/export tax thing? I remember that the PS4 was also massively expensive when it came out there.

It's partially that, if I'm not mistaken consoles get taxed by basically 100% between import taxes, luxury taxes and some other bullshit. Even then, that doesn't account for it being basically 4x more expensive here than in the US. It's more vanity pricing than anything else, Apple has a similar approach because they know you're buying the brand.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Boy listening to Woolie and Austin Walker both talk about South Park could not be fuuuuuuuuuuurther apart.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

Boy listening to Woolie and Austin Walker both talk about South Park could not be fuuuuuuuuuuurther apart.

like austin said, black people who like south park are a thing that exists

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

It's partially that, if I'm not mistaken consoles get taxed by basically 100% between import taxes, luxury taxes and some other bullshit. Even then, that doesn't account for it being basically 4x more expensive here than in the US. It's more vanity pricing than anything else, Apple has a similar approach because they know you're buying the brand.

That's fair, it does still sound way more expensive than it should even with all that factored into it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

like austin said, black people who like south park are a thing that exists

I mean I was not suggesting they weren't, it was just funny to listen to the two casts right one after another.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

I mean I was not suggesting they weren't, it was just funny to listen to the two casts right one after another.

yeah, I know what you mean

another huge difference: waypoint is a podcast where a conversation happens while this week's friendcast was like 75% Pat being excited about things and Woolie doing his best to completely sandbag it until he got to talk about loving south park

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm glad Woolie has something he's excited about too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pat talking about things he liked in Sonic Mania while Woolie completely ignores him and spends five minutes misremembering details about a loving 4chan meme was baffling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sonic Mania? What's that? There is only Blue Sphere.