Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I can forgive delays in V3 if we get March of the Eagles 2.

a man can dream can't he :smith:

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Great now here I am downloading trying to stop Reign of the Ancients crashing again like a sucker.

V for Vegas fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 12, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

I actually have no idea what EU:Rome really is. I've never touched the thing or even watched a LP of it or anything.
What are the unique ideas the game has people always go on about?

One thing I remember really liking was how troops assigned to a general would become loyal to that general and in the case of a civil war or revolt, the armies would gain a whole new tag and a chunk of your territory to build new forces, so you weren't just fighting some abstract rebel faction.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
While I've never played EU: Rome, this system sounds like it'd be a really interesting idea to revisit in Stellaris. It'd do a lot to make sector management more interesting, and put in more dynamic internal politics. For example, since we've now got the Unity system, you could use that as currency in trying to maintain your sector governors' loyalty. Or if you have low unity, that would make them more eager/susceptible to factions.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Fintilgin posted:

One thing I remember really liking was how troops assigned to a general would become loyal to that general and in the case of a civil war or revolt, the armies would gain a whole new tag and a chunk of your territory to build new forces, so you weren't just fighting some abstract rebel faction.

Yeah, Civil Wars in EU: Rome were super neat.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is it actually playable with wiz's mod

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think there were a not-trivial amount of people who registered in SA just to be able to vote in the Crete LP

I know I did. Still haven't tried EU:Rome though, seems like a nightmare. The Europa engine games are scary.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

EU: Rome and Vicky 2 are pretty similar in that they have some gameplay systems that seem like neat ideas for verisimilitude, but when you actually play the game just end up being not fun. In EU: Rome your first and most important order of business is to do everything in your power to prevent a Populist from ever becoming a candidate for Consul. Because if a Populist becomes Consul they will gently caress up your country and there is not a drat thing you can do about it. As a player your natural inclination is to fill positions with your best and brightest. With the populists in charge those positions are filled with random idiots, who invariably are disloyal and will spark a civil war if and when you try to remove them. In Vicky 2, you can't let laissez faire capitalists get control of your economy, because they will gently caress your economy, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Is it actually playable with wiz's mod

it's pretty fun if you can get it to run on a modern computer. last I checked that was no mean feat.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I don't think I'd say that EU: Rome was a great game. But it had a ton of great ideas that deserve another look.

Although, honestly, if I was at Paradox I'd probably 'reboot' the game with a new title (Vae Victis or something in that vein) to avoid confusion with the Total War Rome games. I'd also put a lot more effort into unique governments (so Rome has two consuls and such), and leave things like barbarian tribes unplayable or for major DLC.

I'd really really rather see Paradox tackle the ancients again instead of going back to Victoria, but I get I'm in the minority there.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's sad that at the time that was totally just a joke poking fun at a farce of a foreign political movement, and harmless meme. Such simple innocent times :(

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

WilliamAnderson posted:

I know I did. Still haven't tried EU:Rome though, seems like a nightmare. The Europa engine games are scary.

Rome is Clauswitz engine

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Farecoal posted:

Rome is Clauswitz engine

Huh. I guess I just lumped it in with everything pre-CK2.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fintilgin posted:

but I get I'm in the minority there.

Maybe on this forum, but I dunno if that's the case normally. Roman and Greek stuff probably has a broader appeal than the Victorian period for most people.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

Maybe on this forum, but I dunno if that's the case normally. Roman and Greek stuff probably has a broader appeal than the Victorian period for most people.

Eh, I'd say they're both niche appeal really. People are more FAMILIAR with Rome, or at least the broad strokes of Ancient Rome plus the stuff they think is Roman but actually came from the renaissance, but I think if you were to ask the average person whether they'd rather have a game about the Roman or Victorian era, they most likely wouldn't have a preference either way.

I mean Stellaris is Paradox's best selling title by far, because basically anything historical tends to be pretty niche compared to sci-fi.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Well, there's always the bronze age. That's about three thousand years of written history that no one really cares or knows about.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That's because outside of a narrow region around the fertile crescent there's mostly poo poo all going on. I've actually been working on a mod for EU4 for a while now that was originally gonna be set in the bronze age, but after spending a lot of time on wasted research I came to the conclusion there's just not enough there. I moved it forward to 1000 BC and am still having to use a lot of anachronisms. For a strategy game, unless you build it with a super narrow focus like a mini campaign pack for Total War, or have mechanics designed specifically to simulate the growth of civilization in broad strokes over a longass time period like Civ, it's not really a suitable setting.

Also I still think Rome probably has the broadest appeal as a historical setting out of anything other than the Middle Ages, but admittedly I'm basing that on no evidence whatsoever. I'd be kinda stunned if there really is never another Paradox game set in antiquity though either way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ghetto Prince posted:

Well, there's always the bronze age. That's about three thousand years of written history that no one really cares or knows about.

SEA PEOPLE! Have some CK2 style invasions from mysterious SEA PEOPLE would be fun.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Paradox just buy the rights to Pharaoh, give it a modern polish and multiplayer, and sell that. Instant money right there

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

That's because outside of a narrow region around the fertile crescent there's mostly poo poo all going on. I've actually been working on a mod for EU4 for a while now that was originally gonna be set in the bronze age, but after spending a lot of time on wasted research I came to the conclusion there's just not enough there. I moved it forward to 1000 BC and am still having to use a lot of anachronisms. For a strategy game, unless you build it with a super narrow focus like a mini campaign pack for Total War, or have mechanics designed specifically to simulate the growth of civilization in broad strokes over a longass time period like Civ, it's not really a suitable setting.

Also I still think Rome probably has the broadest appeal as a historical setting out of anything other than the Middle Ages, but admittedly I'm basing that on no evidence whatsoever. I'd be kinda stunned if there really is never another Paradox game set in antiquity though either way.
You've got my attention.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Soup du Jour posted:

Paradox just buy the rights to Pharaoh, give it a modern polish and multiplayer, and sell that. Instant money right there

a walker economy has kind of been abandoned tbh. and when building cities I really like not having to worry about crossroads.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think I'd be OK with Vicky 3 not letting me know that the population of Mexican Sunni farmers in Newark are 29% communist.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I think I'd be OK with Vicky 3 not letting me know that the population of Mexican Sunni farmers in Newark are 29% communist.

why would you be okay with that

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Eh, I'd say they're both niche appeal really. People are more FAMILIAR with Rome, or at least the broad strokes of Ancient Rome plus the stuff they think is Roman but actually came from the renaissance, but I think if you were to ask the average person whether they'd rather have a game about the Roman or Victorian era, they most likely wouldn't have a preference either way.

I mean Stellaris is Paradox's best selling title by far, because basically anything historical tends to be pretty niche compared to sci-fi.
I dunno; the feel I always got was that a shitload folks with some interest in strategy are interested in Rome

like, gently caress, the reason I started having any interest at all in CK2 was that folks told me it was a bit like dealing with you family in rome, though you couldn't get rid of poo poo family members by sending them out hunting rebels with no troops

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

double nine posted:

a walker economy has kind of been abandoned tbh. and when building cities I really like not having to worry about crossroads.

Okay but picture this: a Pharaoh where you can designate where walkers go.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

and rip out the heart and soul of the game?!

might as well make a RTS where you only control one unit. pfft.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

just build Tropico 6 on top of Cities: Skylines, problem solved

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Soup du Jour posted:

Okay but picture this: a Pharaoh where you can designate where walkers go.

Don't you already do that with the road signs?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Simplex posted:

In Vicky 2, you can't let laissez faire capitalists get control of your economy, because they will gently caress your economy, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Accurate Laissez Faire sim, tbf.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

double nine posted:

Yeah, not a fan of walkers as done in the old Impressions games.

I'd be fine with walkers who went to go get the things they wanted, more like Children of the Nile. But, yeah, paradox publishing needs to find a studio to bring back the ancient city builder... and also uboat sims... and also....

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm having surgery and I'll be laid up for a few days and I've decided to make a terrible choice. Despite people here giving perfectly good reasons why not too...I got a steam link and steam controller. I'm expecting hilarity and lots of frustrations. I was surprised that so many configurations existed for Paradox games.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I'm having surgery and I'll be laid up for a few days and I've decided to make a terrible choice. Despite people here giving perfectly good reasons why not too...I got a steam link and steam controller. I'm expecting hilarity and lots of frustrations. I was surprised that so many configurations existed for Paradox games.

I've played Paradox games on the couch using one of these before and it's... okay. Not great, but if you absolutely must mapgame on the couch and don't have a laptop, it's not awful.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

I've played Paradox games on the couch using one of these before and it's... okay. Not great, but if you absolutely must mapgame on the couch and don't have a laptop, it's not awful.

Sweet and Microcenter nearby has one for $29.99.

Truthfully the biggest issue with Paradox games on a big tv is the inability to increase the font size.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 13, 2017

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

just build Tropico 6 on top of Cities: Skylines CK2, problem solved

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I like my Steam Link but the controller just gathers dust while I use an Xbox 1 controller

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

I like my Steam Link but the controller just gathers dust while I use an Xbox 1 controller

How well does that work with Paradox games?

The steam controller is used so I can return it for a used Xbox 1 controller if need be.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

MazelTovCocktail posted:

How well does that work with Paradox games?

The steam controller is used so I can return it for a used Xbox 1 controller if need be.

Trying to play Paradox games with anything other than a mouse is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

Trying to play Paradox games with anything other than a mouse is awful.

Yeah, but I'm going to be stuck in a bed and not able to place anything in the normal laptop resting spot...so I'm trying anything at this point. Well that or just play stuff on the Retropie and watch Godzilla.