Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Doom Mathematic posted:

I seem to recall a pretty good hacking montage in The Social Network.

there were a couple typing montages but the only hacking I remember is the ctf game they had to hire interns and even then it was just normal software that you could probably hit milworm for instead of custom stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Truga posted:

i'll believe it. it's just they're still using the thing they did in 92

1992: "We call it the 'data encryption standard' ... It hasn't even been around for 20 years, so it's quite cutting edge."
2017: It's time-tested!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I think the device in sneakers was a prime factorizer, so asymmetric crypto specifically

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that's my recollection.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/blueborne-vulnerabilities-impact-over-5-billion-bluetooth-enabled-devices/

Security researchers have discovered eight vulnerabilities — codenamed collectively as BlueBorne — in the Bluetooth implementations used by over 5.3 billion devices.

Researchers say the vulnerabilities are undetectable and unstoppable by traditional security solutions. No user interaction is needed for an attacker to use the BleuBorne flaws, nor does the attacker need to pair with a target device.

BlueBorne affects all Bluetooth enabled devices
They affect the Bluetooth implementations in Android, iOS, Microsoft, and Linux, impacting almost all Bluetooth device types, from smartphones to laptops, and from IoT devices to smart cars.

Three of these eight security flaws are rated critical and according to researchers at Armis — the IoT security company that discovered BlueBorne — they allow attackers to take over devices and execute malicious code, or to run Man-in-the-Middle attacks and intercept Bluetooth communications.

Furthermore, the vulnerabilities can be concocted into a self-spreading BlueTooth worm that could wreak havoc inside a company's network or even across the world.

Most serious Bluetooth vulnerabilities identified to date
"These vulnerabilities are the most serious Bluetooth vulnerabilities identified to date," an Armis spokesperson told Bleeping Computer via email.

"Previously identified flaws found in Bluetooth were primarily at the protocol level," he added. "These new vulnerabilities are at the implementation level, bypassing the various authentication mechanisms, and enabling a complete takeover of the target device."

Armis warns of attacks that combine physical presence with the BlueBorne flaws. For example, a delivery person dropping a package at a bank could carry weaponized code on a BlueTooth-enabled device. Once he enters the bank, his device infects others and grants attackers a foothold on a previously secured network.

Not all devices will receive patches
Armis reported the vulnerabilities to major hardware and software vendors, such as Apple, Google, Microsoft, and the Linux community. Some patches are being developed and will be released today and in the coming days and weeks.

Nonetheless, some devices will never receive a BlueBorne patch as the devices have reached End-Of-Life and are not being supported. Armis estimates this number at around 40% of all Bluetooth-enabled devices, which is over two billion devices.

BlueBorne vulnerabilities are tracked under the following identifiers: CVE-2017-0781, CVE-2017-0782, CVE-2017-0783, and CVE-2017-0785 for Android devices; CVE-2017-1000251 and CVE-2017-1000250 for Linux; and CVE-2017-8628 on Windows. The iOS flaw does not have identifiers at the moment.

Who is affected
All Android phones, tablets, and wearables of all versions are affected by the four above mentioned vulnerabilities. Android devices using Bluetooth Low Energy only are not affected. Google patched the flaws in its September Android Security Bulletin.

Windows versions since Windows Vista are all affected. Microsoft said Windows phones are not impacted by BlueBorne. Microsoft is expected to release patches later today.

All Linux devices running BlueZ are affected by an information leak, while all Linux devices from version 3.3-rc1 (released in October 2011) are affected by a remote code execution flaw that can be exploited via Bluetooth. Samsung's Tizen OS, based on Linux, is also affected.

All iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices with iOS 9.3.5 and lower, and AppleTV devices with version 7.2.2 and lower are affected, but the issue was patched in iOS 10.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

well isn't that a gently caress

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Over the past several months, threat actors believed to have ties with North Korea have been targeting crypto-currency exchanges to obtain hard currencies for the Pyongyang regime, FireEye says.

The attacks, which FireEye has observed since May 2017, are said to be part of a campaign that started in 2016, when banks and the global financial system were hit. Given the impressive spike in value Bitcoin has seen since the beginning of the year, it’s no surprise that threat actors are interested in the potential crypto-currencies have.

Traditionally, North Korean actors have been engaging in activities typically associated with nation-state cyber espionage, but they started shifting focus to conduct cybercrime as of last year. Given the country’s position as a pariah nation that has been cut off from much of the global economy, as well as its tight control of its military and intelligence capabilities, this doesn’t come as a surprise.

As such, the recently observed interest in crypto-currencies isn’t surprising either, and FireEye considers the recent attacks to be part of a larger campaign that started last year. Since May 2017, the security researchers have observed North Korean actors targeting at least three South Korean crypto-currency exchanges, supposedly in an attempt to steal funds.

The attacks, FireEye says, involved spear-phishing attacks that often targeted the personal email accounts of employees at digital currency exchanges. Tax-themed lures were frequently employed to trick users into installing malware such as PEACHPIT and similar variants, which have been previously linked to North Korean actors.

The spear-phishing attacks started in early May and targeted one crypto-currency exchange at a time. By early June, three South Korean exchanges were hit, along with various other, unknown victims, which the security researchers suggest might be crypto-currency service providers in South Korea.

“Add to that the ties between North Korean operators and a watering hole compromise of a Bitcoin news site in 2016, as well as at least one instance of usage of a surreptitious crypto-currency miner, and we begin to see a picture of North Korean interest in crypto-currencies, an asset class in which Bitcoin alone has increased over 400% since the beginning of this year,” FireEye notes.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

(sh)iot

https://twitter.com/BogdanCostea/status/906390432539705344

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
that's not how you fish :aaa:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Brings new meaning to Phishing

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://security.googleblog.com/2017/09/chromes-plan-to-distrust-symantec.html

quote:

Now through ~March 15, 2018 - Site Operators using Symantec-issued TLS server certificates issued before June 1, 2016 should replace these certificates. These certificates can be replaced by any currently trusted CA.

~October 24, 2017 - Chrome 62 released to Stable, which will add alerting in DevTools when evaluating certificates that will be affected by the Chrome 66 distrust.

December 1, 2017 - According to Symantec, DigiCert’s new “Managed Partner Infrastructure” will at this point be capable of full issuance. Any certificates issued by Symantec’s old infrastructure after this point will cease working in a future Chrome update.

From this date forward, Site Operators can obtain TLS server certificates from the new Managed Partner Infrastructure that will continue to be trusted after Chrome 70 (~October 23, 2018).

December 1, 2017 does not mandate any certificate changes, but represents an opportunity for site operators to obtain TLS server certificates that will not be affected by Chrome 70’s distrust of the old infrastructure.

~March 15, 2018 - Chrome 66 released to beta, which will remove trust in Symantec-issued certificates with a not-before date prior to June 1, 2016. As of this date Site Operators must be using either a Symantec-issued TLS server certificate issued on or after June 1, 2016 or a currently valid certificate issued from any other trusted CA as of Chrome 66.

Site Operators that obtained a certificate from Symantec’s old infrastructure after June 1, 2016 are unaffected by Chrome 66 but will need to obtain a new certificate by the Chrome 70 dates described below.

~April 17, 2018 - Chrome 66 released to Stable.

~September 13, 2018 - Chrome 70 released to Beta, which will remove trust in the old Symantec-rooted Infrastructure. This will not affect any certificate chaining to the new Managed Partner Infrastructure, which Symantec has said will be operational by December 1, 2017.

Only TLS server certificates issued by Symantec’s old infrastructure will be affected by this distrust regardless of issuance date.

~October 23, 2018 - Chrome 70 released to Stable.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I was reading about it today, though it dates back to July - here's a writeup with good points made: https://theconversation.com/the-internet-of-things-is-sending-us-back-to-the-middle-ages-81435

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nice cloudflare breakdown on their perception of https interception:

https://blog.cloudflare.com/understanding-the-prevalence-of-web-traffic-interception/

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i love this cyberpunk future

and you'd better love it too, because it sure as gently caress isn't going to get less cyberpunk

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

redleader posted:

i love this cyberpunk future

and you'd better love it too, because it sure as gently caress isn't going to get less cyberpunk

At some point it's gonna go Mad Max but ya

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/blueborne-vulnerabilities-impact-over-5-billion-bluetooth-enabled-devices/

Security researchers have discovered eight vulnerabilities codenamed collectively as BlueBorne in the Bluetooth implementations used by over 5.3 billion devices.

Researchers say the vulnerabilities are undetectable and unstoppable by traditional security solutions. No user interaction is needed for an attacker to use the BleuBorne flaws, nor does the attacker need to pair with a target device.

BlueBorne affects all Bluetooth enabled devices
They affect the Bluetooth implementations in Android, iOS, Microsoft, and Linux, impacting almost all Bluetooth device types, from smartphones to laptops, and from IoT devices to smart cars.

Three of these eight security flaws are rated critical and according to researchers at Armis the IoT security company that discovered BlueBorne they allow attackers to take over devices and execute malicious code, or to run Man-in-the-Middle attacks and intercept Bluetooth communications.

Furthermore, the vulnerabilities can be concocted into a self-spreading BlueTooth worm that could wreak havoc inside a company's network or even across the world.

Most serious Bluetooth vulnerabilities identified to date
"These vulnerabilities are the most serious Bluetooth vulnerabilities identified to date," an Armis spokesperson told Bleeping Computer via email.

"Previously identified flaws found in Bluetooth were primarily at the protocol level," he added. "These new vulnerabilities are at the implementation level, bypassing the various authentication mechanisms, and enabling a complete takeover of the target device."

Armis warns of attacks that combine physical presence with the BlueBorne flaws. For example, a delivery person dropping a package at a bank could carry weaponized code on a BlueTooth-enabled device. Once he enters the bank, his device infects others and grants attackers a foothold on a previously secured network.

Not all devices will receive patches
Armis reported the vulnerabilities to major hardware and software vendors, such as Apple, Google, Microsoft, and the Linux community. Some patches are being developed and will be released today and in the coming days and weeks.

Nonetheless, some devices will never receive a BlueBorne patch as the devices have reached End-Of-Life and are not being supported. Armis estimates this number at around 40% of all Bluetooth-enabled devices, which is over two billion devices.

BlueBorne vulnerabilities are tracked under the following identifiers: CVE-2017-0781, CVE-2017-0782, CVE-2017-0783, and CVE-2017-0785 for Android devices; CVE-2017-1000251 and CVE-2017-1000250 for Linux; and CVE-2017-8628 on Windows. The iOS flaw does not have identifiers at the moment.

Who is affected
All Android phones, tablets, and wearables of all versions are affected by the four above mentioned vulnerabilities. Android devices using Bluetooth Low Energy only are not affected. Google patched the flaws in its September Android Security Bulletin.

Windows versions since Windows Vista are all affected. Microsoft said Windows phones are not impacted by BlueBorne. Microsoft is expected to release patches later today.

All Linux devices running BlueZ are affected by an information leak, while all Linux devices from version 3.3-rc1 (released in October 2011) are affected by a remote code execution flaw that can be exploited via Bluetooth. Samsung's Tizen OS, based on Linux, is also affected.

All iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices with iOS 9.3.5 and lower, and AppleTV devices with version 7.2.2 and lower are affected, but the issue was patched in iOS 10.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They affect the Bluetooth implementations in Android, iOS, Microsoft, and Linux...

I've got some bad news for these hackers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

someone finally found a way to productively use that stack!

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
we never should have let computer talk to other computer

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
http://gwn.fightnetwork.com/

lets start a wrestling ott streaming service that has a broken paywall, nonfunctional region sensing, and sends passwords in plain text

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

exploded mummy posted:

http://gwn.fightnetwork.com/

lets start a wrestling ott streaming service that has a broken paywall, nonfunctional region sensing, and sends passwords in plain text

no don't

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

are you sure, the page source has stuff like

code:
{"title":"TNA Victory Road 2009 ","description":"TNA Victory Road 2009 ","summary":"July 19, 2009. Features Kurt Angle vs. Mick Foley for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, plus AJ Styles vs. Kevin Nash for the TNA Legends Championship from Orlando, FL.","caption":"","vast":"","categories":"Wrestling","property":"TFN","poster_image":"\/\/vcms.fantasysportsnetwork.com\/videocms\/assets\/posters\/67200207V.jpg","poster_image_thumbs":"\/\/vcms.fantasysportsnetwork.com\/videocms\/assets\/posters_thumbs\/67200207V.jpg","house_id":"67200207V","duration":"02:55:01","video_access":"","created_date":"10\/11\/2016","arrival_date":"10\/07\/2016","created_date_format_edge":"10-11-2016 5:47 PM","video_url":"http:\/\/testvod.fantasysportsnetwork.com\/s\/web_vod\/current\/67200207V\/67200207V.m3u8","pos":"415","platform_id":"6","show_title":"TNA PAY-PER-VIEWS 2009","show_id":"93","flag":0,"keywords":"","allow_country":"","block_country":"","mp4_url":"http:\/\/testvod.fantasysportsnetwork.com\/s\/web_vod\/current\/67200207V\/67200207V_MP4_720p.mp4"}
which has direct links to videos and doesn't bother to security check them

so we wouldn't even have to pay for hosting

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
remember the samsung face recognition bullshit from a few days ago?

quote:

Touch ID is also gone, replaced by something called Face ID. This facial recognition feature uses an array of sensors on the front of the device to map your face and unlock the phone, as soon as you look at it.

Good job, apple.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

remember the samsung face recognition bullshit from a few days ago?

Good job, apple.

their face id at least seems to be based on 3d geometry

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

work sec gently caress: discovered yesterday that one of the app support guys who works with CA IM (terrible terrible IAM software) had setup a powershell script as part of an on-boarding workflow and inside the script was the plain-text password for a quite privileged service account. i discovered this when he sent me a copy of the script and it literally had this line in it:

code:
$plainTextPassword = 'XXXXXXXX'
that's verbatim. the dude had the forethought to redact the plain text password in the script before sending it to me but still didn't think that it was enough of an issue to care about...

turns out explicitly setting creds in the script wasn't actually required so we tore it right out. apparently the guy did it because "that's how you have to do it when invoking other CA tools from a workflow" which i can half believe because CA IM is so so soooo loving bad

canis minor
May 4, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wonder how sensitive it is - I'm sure I saw somewhere a template where you could print out face and assemble the mask to resemble geometry of human face.

While looking for above I found this: http://www.urmesurveillance.com/urme-paper-mask/ which is :rolleyes:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

canis minor posted:

I wonder how sensitive it is - I'm sure I saw somewhere a template where you could print out face and assemble the mask to resemble geometry of human face.

While looking for above I found this: http://www.urmesurveillance.com/urme-paper-mask/ which is :rolleyes:

"u r me" jesus

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cinci zoo sniper posted:

and IR I think + iris I think

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If any of my friends buy this dumb phone it'll be real convenient to pick their phone up off the table and then just point it at them to unlock it

Your face is the least private thing about you, why on earth did they think it was a good security mechanism

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

If any of my friends buy this dumb phone it'll be real convenient to pick their phone up off the table and then just point it at them to unlock it

Your face is the least private thing about you, why on earth did they think it was a good security mechanism

heres their threat assessment: "does it sound cool and futuristic to people who buy phones?"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

So supposedly the ir part prevents you from using a photo, right? Does this mean if you paint ir reflective paint on the irises of a photo it will still work?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mrmcd posted:

So supposedly the ir part prevents you from using a photo, right? Does this mean if you paint ir reflective paint on the irises of a photo it will still work?

You'll find out at whatever the next convention is!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mrmcd posted:

probably not. you can do blood flow analysis with IR

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

This seems like a pretty comprehensive biometric factor the way apple is doing it through they're betting the farm on this not having some kind of trivial exploit that cannot be easily patched with touchid gone

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

This seems like a pretty comprehensive biometric factor the way apple is doing it through they're betting the farm on this not having some kind of trivial exploit that cannot be easily patched with touchid gone

I think the biggest indicator is that it's used to authenticate ApplePay.

I'm not saying there's zero chance of there being an unforeseen weakness, but I'm willing to bet all the low-hanging fruit exploits, like photographs or masks, have been addressed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Subjunctive posted:

probably not. you can do blood flow analysis with IR

yeah whatever happened to that fangled microsoft webcam technology that was supposed to be able to do this

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

yeah whatever happened to that fangled microsoft webcam technology that was supposed to be able to do this

Probably what happens to a lot of the nifty stuff MS R&D comes up with. When you leave a controlled lab environment, poo poo gets hard to do.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

even with blood flow analysis there's only so much data you can capture with a camera's ir sensor a foot or two away from the face. it's not high definition and i'd put the number of influencing factors on the verification of a face compared to a fingerprint at several order of magnitudes. there's a ton of leeway that someone will have a proof of concept together pretty quickly. a fingerprint at least has surface contact to grab a lot more measurements with

in other equifax news admin:admin is still effective https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/ayuda-help-equifax-has-my-data/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

its probably licensed in face id

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

there was a lot of equifax talk but i didnt know a db was admin/admin lol

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/907932442132172800

• Locked thread