Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
For at least 1 week of the 2017 NFL Season the Los Angeles Rams are the highest scoring team in the NFL :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What if the Rams are legit?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What if the Jags are legit?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wait, are you telling me Jeff Fisher might have been a bad coach

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Won't be able to really tell until Week 4 and 5 when they are @Cowboys and play the Seahawks at home. I mean they might also poo poo themselves and go 1-15.

E: It would be sad and hilarious if the only thing holding them back for the last 5 years was Jeff Fisher

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I have a hard time believing a Rams/Seahawks game can tell us anything about the state of either team given the happenings of recent years

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Intruder posted:

I have a hard time believing a Rams/Seahawks game can tell us anything about the state of either team given the happenings of recent years

That was all Jeff Fisher, he spent his entire offseason meticulously planning every detail to try and beat the Seahawks twice a year

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Intruder posted:

What if the Jags are legit?
Wait, are you telling me Jeff Fisher Gus Bradley might have been a bad coach?

They're not legit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jaguars next two games are home against the Titans and Ravens. If they can split with those two, they then get a free win @Jets, before @Steelers, then the Rams and @Colts.

They could easily be 4-3 going into their bye!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think the KC PHI game will be closer than many think. Pats played a bad game especially defensively. Hunt won't perform at that level this week which puts the game firmly in the tiny hands of Alex Smith and his Two Good Receiving Options. Let's see if he can utilize them running for his life.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kalli posted:

Jaguars next two games are home against the Titans and Ravens. If they can split with those two, they then get a free win @Jets, before @Steelers, then the Rams and @Colts.

The League is considering giving the Titans and the Jaguars a bye next week if the damage in Jacksonville is too much for there to be a game (instead of, you know, moving the game to Tennessee and then having their next matchup later in the season in Jacksonville).

The "Home" game against the Ravens is in London. If that Raven's D is legit, the Jaguars are hosed.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Diqnol posted:

I think the KC PHI game will be closer than many think. Pats played a bad game especially defensively. Hunt won't perform at that level this week which puts the game firmly in the tiny hands of Alex Smith and his Two Good Receiving Options. Let's see if he can utilize them running for his life.

The fantasy forum is making GBS threads themselves over Kareem Hunt being Jamaal Charles 2.0 lol. It's hard to tell them that occasionally a player like Nick Foles gets 7 TD's.

Edit: I think Kareem Hunt will be 'pretty good', but I dunno if I would bet on Andy Reid suddenly creating a revolutionary offense with Alex Smith, a converted RB, a TE who can't stop getting penalized, and a rookie runningback.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 12, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The League is considering giving the Titans and the Jaguars a bye next week if the damage in Jacksonville is too much for there to be a game (instead of, you know, moving the game to Tennessee and then having their next matchup later in the season in Jacksonville).

The "Home" game against the Ravens is in London. If that Raven's D is legit, the Jaguars are hosed.

Lmfao

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diqnol posted:

:agreed: When blowouts happen in week one no one's actually as good or as bad as they looked. The Colts are probably not actually the worst team to ever take an NFL field for instance.

I do think the Chiefs should win, but I'm not expecting an easy game or anything.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The fantasy forum is making GBS threads themselves over Kareem Hunt being Jamaal Charles 2.0 lol. It's hard to tell them that occasionally a player like Nick Foles gets 7 TD's

That run down the sideline toward the end of the game shut down that thought for me, although I wasn't ever seriously entertaining it. Charles houses that every single time and Hunt was easily caught from behind.

He does look like he'll be a good player though, which I'm happy enough with.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 12, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

:agreed: When blowouts happen in week one no one's actually as good or as bad as they looked. The Colts are probably not actually the worst team to ever take an NFL field for instance.

I do think the Chiefs should win, but I'm not expecting an easy game or anything.

That run down the sideline toward the end of the game shut down that thought for me, although I wasn't ever seriously entertaining it. Charles houses that every single time and Hunt was easily caught from behind.

He does look like he'll be a good player though, which I'm happy enough with.

Yeah definitely. I just think Andy had the perfect gameplan and the Pats collapsed trying to switch wayyyy too much poo poo up. They were just out coached, but now everyone has an idea of what they're going to do.

Like, would you take Alex Smith, Tyreek Hill, and Kareem Hunt over Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown, and Le'Veon Bell? Let's put this into perspective when we anticipate where their offense is going to end up.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Kalli posted:

A perfect way to end 6-10!

Kidding aside, that Houston game was supposed to be a route in the other direction. Jags could be in the hunt for the division if the titans slide.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Diqnol posted:

KC PHI is always a weird fun game for me, the reason I started supporting the Eagles was due to having a demo for NFL Street and the only teams you could choose between were the Eagles and Chiefs, the Eagles looked cooler so went with them. But yeah...thats my story

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't think anyone anticipated that the Texans offensive line was going to be quite that bad. It's probably the worst in the NFL

Rick Smith is a loving idiot who still isn't trying to make inroads to bring Duane Brown back into the fold because of his "We don't renegotiate contracts that have more than one year left" policy that he won't bend on (except for when he did for JJ)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Kidding aside, that Houston game was supposed to be a route in the other direction. Jags could be in the hunt for the division if the titans slide.
This is why I said next week against the Titans will be so telling. If they can convincingly beat the Titans I may actually start to drink the coolaid. I may chug it if they then go on to beat the Ravens, Jets, and Colts. But I definitely do not want to get ahead of myself. It could easily have been a fluke of BOB being bad along with the Texan's OL being worse than advertised and Nethaniel Hackett having a short lived bout of competence.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also of note: every tight end on the Texans roster is in the concussion protocol and won't play Thursday :lol:

Nov 6, 2002

Intruder posted:

I don't think anyone anticipated that the Texans offensive line was going to be quite that bad. It's probably the worst in the NFL

Rick Smith is a loving idiot who still isn't trying to make inroads to bring Duane Brown back into the fold because of his "We don't renegotiate contracts that have more than one year left" policy that he won't bend on (except for when he did for JJ)

I don't get this policy. If a player is looking for an early deal wouldn't you want to negotiate, as it generally means you're going to lock him up for cheap?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Have JJ Watt and Clowney play both ways, time for some ironman football in Houston

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Are we forgetting that Bortles is still the Jags QB and put up less-than-stellar numbers on Sunday?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I don't get this policy. If a player is looking for an early deal wouldn't you want to negotiate, as it generally means you're going to lock him up for cheap?

I think players who want to renegotiate early generally think they're underpaid and want to be paid more for the years left on their contract. You're not going to get them cheap.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eli Wiggum posted:

Are we forgetting that Bortles is still the Jags QB and put up less-than-stellar numbers on Sunday?
He wasnt sacked (half of his career sacks are his fault), he didnt throw any interceptions, and he was not asked to do a lot. Yes he is still the QB, though, and still needs to prove himself (without ARob to bail him out) which is why I have not drank the coolaid, yet.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's dumb and it almost made Nuk hold out last season (he ended his holdout after one day of training camp)

It also shows a lack of respect for the players given the Texans like to say they have a reputation of taking care of their own. The main thing is Brown has no guaranteed money left on his contract and they want to maintain payroll flexibility if his play slips or he gets injured again. The fun part is how Texans fans have absolutely turned on him, calling his wife all kinds of nasty names because they think she's influencing him, etc

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

He wasnt sacked (half of his career sacks are his fault), he didnt throw any interceptions, and he was not asked to do a lot. Yes he is still the QB, though, and still needs to prove himself (without ARob to bail him out) which is why I have not drank the coolaid, yet.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Kool aid, fool

Nov 6, 2002

evilweasel posted:

I think players who want to renegotiate early generally think they're underpaid and want to be paid more for the years left on their contract. You're not going to get them cheap.

No, but cheaper than when they hit the open market. When a guy has two years left on his contract, a team has almost all the leverage. When he's got a year left, he might just decide to bet on himself and not even come to the table.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Worst offensive line:

Texans
Seahawks
Bengals
Giants

There's a really good argument for each of them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Duane Brown is absolutely underpaid for a player of his caliber at LT and has no guaranteed money left

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No, but cheaper than when they hit the open market. When a guy has two years left on his contract, a team has almost all the leverage. When he's got a year left, he might just decide to bet on himself and not even come to the table.

The Chiefs found this out with Justin Houston and Eric Berry.

I'm generally sad that Dorsey is gone and still don't completely understand why, but he screwed both of those situations up pretty badly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yeah but you have two years of him being underpaid with his current contract, and the only way you're renegotiating is if he's less underpaid for those two years so you weaken your team that way. It's probably worth keeping the two underpaid years rather than getting four less underpaid years, especially because you're taking on more risk that way. A player getting underpaid for two years then leaving isn't the worst thing that can happen for a team.

Nov 6, 2002

evilweasel posted:

Yeah but you have two years of him being underpaid with his current contract, and the only way you're renegotiating is if he's less underpaid for those two years so you weaken your team that way. It's probably worth keeping the two underpaid years rather than getting four less underpaid years, especially because you're taking on more risk that way. A player getting underpaid for two years then leaving isn't the worst thing that can happen for a team.

I think it depends on the player. If this is a young, ascending player, you should absolutely be willing to negotiate and lock him up early. Having an inflexible policy of never considering new contracts is dumb.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kalli posted:

Worst offensive line:

Texans
Seahawks
Bengals
Giants

There's a really good argument for each of them.

Giants are a little better than the other 3 but play as badly because deep down they want Eli to die

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
It's probably the non-poo poo Raiders organization for the first time in a decade and a half that's renewed my interest in football but I am loving obsessed this year

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diqnol posted:

Giants are a little better than the other 3 but play as badly because deep down they want Eli to die

Yeah, I think they have a functional interior line which the other three teams sure as gently caress can't say.

With Duane Brown holding out, I don't think you could build a functional oline out of all 4 groups combined.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Diqnol posted:

Who's Eli's backup anyway?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

axeil posted:

Geno?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

axeil posted:

After looking it up I don't know if I'm missing :thejoke: but Geno Smith apparently?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Blitz7x posted:

It's probably the non-poo poo Raiders organization for the first time in a decade and a half that's renewed my interest in football but I am loving obsessed this year

Brace yourself for 1-1 v Broncos, Chiefs, Chargers and 10-0 everone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

After looking it up I don't know if I'm missing :thejoke: but Geno Smith apparently?

:chloe:

Seriously?

• Locked thread