Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zedprime posted:

Easier to meter I bet. Overflow provides its own keystone cops situation, and underfill means your pit strategy is hosed up. Secondarily its probablly higher flow and better reliability than a pump, and getting the same flow out of a line by gravity feeding is going to need a pretty high reservoir.

Yeah, with all the digital telemetry now available, they know exactly how much fuel they want to put in the car and they can premeasure it into the can before the car pits. Sometimes they don't want a complete fill because the extra weight will slow the car down, so it's all calculated to six decimal places.

There's also a safety issue. A small can is a limited volume if things go wrong. A 1000-gallon tank right next to pit row is just asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

F1 stopped doing midrace refueling because people were pitting so fast that rate of incidents with dudes leaving the pit box before the hose was off were rising. No matter what lights, signals, interlocks, signboards whatever they used, it kept happening.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

F1 stopped doing midrace refueling because people were pitting so fast that rate of incidents with dudes leaving the pit box before the hose was off were rising. No matter what lights, signals, interlocks, signboards whatever they used, it kept happening.

Did they put in larger tanks and make them all start with a full load? Shorten the races? Forgive my F1 ignorance.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Did they put in larger tanks and make them all start with a full load? Shorten the races? Forgive my F1 ignorance.

I don't know all the details, but the first one. They use a tubocharged hybrid engine power unit now too. Not sure if that happened at the same time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nascar isn't exactly the pinnacle of efficient engineering

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

This year all cars start with up to 105 kg of fuel, no refueling allowed.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Memento posted:

When you gotta get the data, you gotta get the data

https://twitter.com/fawadrehman/status/906862554521235457

I guess a paintball mask offers good hurricane protection? Must have hurt a bit when the mask was no longer on his face and he was getting pelted with very fast moving water.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MF_James posted:

I guess a paintball mask offers good hurricane protection? Must have hurt a bit when the mask was no longer on his face and he was getting pelted with very fast moving water.

I've worn a paintball mask while riding on a quad in a rainstorm. My quad topped out around 60 MPH and even at that speed rain hurts like getting pelted by small rocks. The paintball mask was a lot better than nothing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wolrah posted:

I've worn a paintball mask while riding on a quad in a rainstorm. My quad topped out around 60 MPH and even at that speed rain hurts like getting pelted by small rocks. The paintball mask was a lot better than nothing.

Oh no I agree, I've been pelted with some fast moving rain before, it's just an odd choice, but honestly a pretty good one since the paintball mask covers your whole face, until it blows off of course.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I assume the video doesn't show him getting back in the car because he couldn't get the doors open

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

I assume the video doesn't show him getting back in the car because he couldn't get the doors open
Letting go of the loving door is straight suicidal behaviour. You're not getting a better reading 3 feet away you loving rear end in a top hat.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

evil_bunnY posted:

You'd need a third, all moving wing mounted vertically to maintain yaw authority on engine failure

They're 8 lbs -- just bolt them to the control surfaces. Thrust-Vectoring on a budget!

e: :doh: f;b

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

evil_bunnY posted:

Letting go of the loving door is straight suicidal behaviour. You're not getting a better reading 3 feet away you loving rear end in a top hat.

No but you're getting better ratings.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

I don't get it -- I buy something burning cleanly enough that there is no visible smoke or particulate to glow with black-body radiation, but

1) As soon as it started burning something else (clothing, oil/rubber deposits on the ground, human flesh :black101: ) wouldn't THAT create very visible effects?
2) If it's hot/big enough to be a significant hazard, how are you not seeing convection (either heat diffraction or the clouds of redardant they're spraying around)?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hubis posted:

I don't get it -- I buy something burning cleanly enough that there is no visible smoke or particulate to glow with black-body radiation, but

1) As soon as it started burning something else (clothing, oil/rubber deposits on the ground, human flesh :black101: ) wouldn't THAT create very visible effects?
2) If it's hot/big enough to be a significant hazard, how are you not seeing convection (either heat diffraction or the clouds of redardant they're spraying around)?

Alcohol fires aren't very hot compared to other fuels. They do have a visible flame, but daylight is enough to mask it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

zedprime posted:

Easier to meter I bet. Overflow provides its own keystone cops situation, and underfill means your pit strategy is hosed up. Secondarily its probablly higher flow and better reliability than a pump, and getting the same flow out of a line by gravity feeding is going to need a pretty high reservoir.

This is giving NASCAR entirely too much credit.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I'd have sex with it.

This looks like something from Metal Slug.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I imagine they intended for this to dig it's way down to the ground floor.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Can we not post massive freaking gifs please? I know no one is on 56k anymore but that digging machine one is big enough that it actually slows my entire computer to a crawl when it's on screen.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Keiya posted:

Can we not post massive freaking gifs please? I know no one is on 56k anymore but that digging machine one is big enough that it actually slows my entire computer to a crawl when it's on screen.

I think there's something wrong with your computer. That gif is only 152 kb.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

I think there's something wrong with your computer. That gif is only 152 kb.

The one Say Nothing posted is 55.6mb

If you change the imgur url to .mp4 instead of .gif and just post it in a [url][/url], it embeds the video in the page. It doesnt show up in post preview, but does in the full post. I would think that's less resource intensive.

It would also be nice if MP4s didn't auto-play.

e: i just cleared my cache, and loaded his gif as a .mp4/.gifv, and it peaked at 7% CPU usage before dropping down below 1%. then changed the url to .gif and it peaked over 50% before dropping down to around 5%. even now clicking back over to that tab with the gif open makes processor usage spike to over 50%.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 12, 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

It would be nice if <INSERT NOUN> didn't auto-play.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

If you change the imgur url to .mp4 instead of .gif and just post it in a [url][/url], it embeds the video in the page. It doesnt show up in post preview, but does in the full post. I would think that's less resource intensive.

I've done that, see if it makes a difference now.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, with all the digital telemetry now available, they know exactly how much fuel they want to put in the car and they can premeasure it into the can before the car pits. Sometimes they don't want a complete fill because the extra weight will slow the car down, so it's all calculated to six decimal places.

I remember seeing IndyCar/CART races where they would just work out:

I want volume V of fuel to be put into the car
The flow rate is F
It will take time T = V/F to put that much fuel in the tank

So you have the refuelling guy do his normal job, and another guy has a stopwatch and when time T has elapsed he hits the refuelling guy with a stick to tell him to stop.

If your job involves being hit with a stick do you need to do risk analysis? Does the stopwatch guy have training on the appropriate area of the body to hit and the appropriate force with which to strike?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nailed the parking.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mobby_6kl posted:

Nailed the parking.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Powershift posted:

e: i just cleared my cache, and loaded his gif as a .mp4/.gifv, and it peaked at 7% CPU usage before dropping down below 1%. then changed the url to .gif and it peaked over 50% before dropping down to around 5%. even now clicking back over to that tab with the gif open makes processor usage spike to over 50%.

Also check what adblock you are running.

Adblock Plus has CPU utilization problems with gifs, sucks anyways. Use uBlock Origin. Unless you're already using that, then nevermind :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Keiya posted:

Try the schadenfreude thread if you enjoy the sound of the computer's fan running at full tilt.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3747078&perpage=40&pagenumber=1209#lastpost

Lot of people insist on embedding 20Mb+ gifs there and Firefox will melt your processor.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Keiya posted:

lol sounds like u need to upgrade ur computer

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I can't read the .gif thread anymore because my computers gotten so old. Can't watch 60fps 1080p videos on youtube either. You aren't alone Keiya.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/cUImYLp.mp4

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Did they jury-rig an escape bridge from the construction materials? Because that's pretty drat impressive.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powershift posted:

Reminder, actual GIFs are a terrible ancient format intended for low-detail icons and animations with a few dozen frames at most. They are not designed for, nor should they EVER be used for, full motion video. The fact that people have bodged them in to running at 30/60 FPS and even having full color (by using a bunch of near simultaneous overlaid frames) is just abusing the hell out of the technology and results in monsterous files that choke systems.

"GIFV" is just MP4 with a different extension for various reasons, and that handles videos correctly because it's actually a video format. Pretty much everything meaningful has hardware MPEG4 decoding so playing them back takes effectively no CPU power.

If you are posting a clip from a video, use MP4/GIFV. If you are posting an "Under Construction" animation from Geocities, use GIF.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

And it's pronounced with a hard G.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

spog posted:

I think someone in GIP analysed the photos of some of those guns and .

going back in time to laugh heartily at this:

ahhhhh haahaahhahhhah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sandoz posted:

going back in time to laugh heartily at this:

ahhhhh haahaahhahhhah

i used to play arma with a bunch of goons and one guy once tried to justify taking command of a mission with "okay, look, I've been in the poo poo at the big airsoft shoot, so I know how this works"

(never mind that half the crew were actual combat veterans. one of the cool, easygoing guys would always take the M249 slot, and when I asked him how come he said "eh, I carried one of these for three years, just got used to it I guess")

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wear 👏 steel 👏 toed 👏 shoes

~the safety guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Ah man this part in HL2 was so drat annoying