Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

lightpole posted:

None of the actors were as good as him so Kubrick put him in.

The guy who was set to be the DI ended up as the door gunner in Jokers helo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
The DI in The Boys in Company C, Sgt Loyce, was better than the DI in Full Metal Jacket.

There, I said it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
SIR I GOT LOST ON THE WAY TO COLLEGE SIR is the best part of any drill instructor scene ever

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

SIR I GOT LOST ON THE WAY TO COLLEGE SIR is the best part of any drill instructor scene ever

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Godholio posted:

He was one in real life, prior to spending over a year in Vietnam and being medically discharged. He was on the set as the military adviser and Kubrick had a stroke of genius to put him on camera.

A bit more than that. He was never a Gunny but a Staff Sergeant and he got the part when he recorded himself doing a 10 minute monologue without repeating himself once while other people were throwing stuff like ice and trash at him. Marine Corps promoted him to Gunny years after the movie came out.

Edit: he started as the military advisor on set.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I worked for a famous Italian film editor who told me Dale Dye got sloppy drunk at a crew dinner and yelled at him "you're that fuckin guinea, huh? You're a fuckin guinea!"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I really dug the field-gently caress scene because it beautifully encapsulated the stupidity that boredom/senseless bullshit breeds in the military, coupled with helplessness of the command structure.

Also, it was a bunch of dudes getting turbo gay

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, it was a bunch of dudes getting turbo gay

I thought this was the military? Like start to finish? Only if you took the common sense, dignity and fabulousness away from the LGTB community?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the epitome of american male masculinity is the military and football which are also about the gayest things ever made

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

lightpole posted:

I thought this was the military? Like start to finish? Only if you took the common sense, dignity and fabulousness away from the LGTB community?

I saw a dude shave another dudes rear end in a top hat in basic training.

And I saw a lot of gay chicken.

And a lot of conversations were had about how much it would cost for you to suck a dick (everyone inflated their price).

So yeah.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the epitome of american male masculinity is the military and football which are also about the gayest things ever made

idk i played football and i wrestled in hs, wresting was way gayer

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Two clips from comedy central perfectly explain the infantry.

Everyday conversation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssDICRX_rK8

How to succeed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rgzsO-AMM

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I remember a while back someone described the military as a massive S/M roleplay with no safeword.

Also that Super Troopers is a documentary.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Redeye Flight posted:

I remember a while back someone described the military as a massive S/M roleplay with no safeword.

Also that Super Troopers is a documentary.

"Training Timeout" is ma safeword.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I call it a cross between the Milgram experiment and the Stanford prison experiment, but no one ever pulls the plug on it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Definitely Stanford experiment. Give idiots power and they abuse it, no poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I always wondered how accurate that is. I don't know much about enlistment standards during Vietnam but "congrats you made it to the MOS with the lowest requirements ever" doesn't seem like much to be proud of.

It's really not.

quote:

the program offered a one-way ticket to Vietnam, where these men fought and died in disproportionate numbers...the men of the 'Moron Corps' provided the necessary cannon fodder to help evade the political horror of dropping student deferments or calling up the reserves, which were sanctuaries for the lily-white

Basically an army of Forrest Gumps without any of the retard charm or athletic ability.

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 11, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Memento posted:

It's really not.

Basically an army of Forrest Gumps without any of the retard charm or athletic ability.

Please note that you're not quoting McNamara but a review in the Washington Monthly by Myra MacPherson of his In Retrospect. Otherwise, readers might come under the false impression that he was this blatant about recruiting cannon-fodder.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Please note that you're not quoting McNamara but a review in the Washington Monthly by Myra MacPherson of his In Retrospect. Otherwise, readers might come under the false impression that he was this blatant about recruiting cannon-fodder.

Quite right, I mis-read that passage. Corrected.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

FrozenVent posted:

How does the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket compare to the ones in real life?

Political correctness has killed my beloved corpse :(

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

new friend from school posted:

Political correctness has killed my beloved corpse :(

I purchased the boys in company c

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

havent heard a peep posted:

I purchased the boys in company c

Back when he had his original teeth. I.e. A few.

It really seems like bullshit to me that he 'wasn't cast' in fmj. He played exactly the same role, just with better direction and better teeth.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Like others pointed out, Ermy wasn't supposed to be on camera originally, but absolutely no one could be a DI like him so it made sense to just let him do it. Kubrick had to call cut at one point to get him to explain what a "reach around" was after he said Private Cowboy (I think) looked like the kindof guy that would gently caress him in the rear end without one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How does that need to be explained in context ...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. He's pretty much the luckiest guy.

If you really wanna hear some hosed up poo poo, look up everything that went wrong with Apocalypse Now. It was almost directed by Lucas but he just got greenlit for Star Wars. There are literal corpses in some shots because someone tasked to get "dead body props" and just started robbing graves and mortuaries. Police eventually got involved.

I did a 10 page or something report on it. Absolutely insane that it got made and the redux version is still long, but nowhere near the 6 hour monstrosity it was in the editing bay.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Yeah. He's pretty much the luckiest guy.

If you really wanna hear some hosed up poo poo, look up everything that went wrong with Apocalypse Now. It was almost directed by Lucas but he just got greenlit for Star Wars. There are literal corpses in some shots because someone tasked to get "dead body props" and just started robbing graves and mortuaries. Police eventually got involved.

I did a 10 page or something report on it. Absolutely insane that it got made and the redux version is still long, but nowhere near the 6 hour monstrosity it was in the editing bay.

Martin Sheen having a loving heart attack in the jungle and having to drag himself to a road to get help...

Seriously, how did Laurence Fishburne not turn into a serial killer after being exposed to all that insanity?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

McNally posted:

Martin Sheen having a loving heart attack in the jungle and having to drag himself to a road to get help...

Seriously, how did Laurence Fishburne not turn into a serial killer after being exposed to all that insanity?

That's not even accounting for Marlon Brando not even reading the goddamn script or anything and being super overweight that they had to cast him in shadows.

Also Matrix money.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

It was probably the brief heroin addiction he picked up on set from one of the adults.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The live water buffalo getting machete'd in Apocalypse Now was real too.
They actually burned down a forest in the Philippines for the napalm scene.

It would be the most bizarre and dangerous filming story if Werner Herzog, Klaus Kinski, and John Landis never existed.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

canyoneer posted:

Klaus Kinski

Ah yes, the actor you have to literally threaten with a gun to get working.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4ZDUNycec

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Ah yes, the actor you have to literally threaten with a gun to get working.
He also raped his daughter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
KINSKI 2024

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part of Apocalypse Now is how Tropic Thunder is only slightly more ridiculous

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tropic Thunder DVD Commentary is so goddamn funny.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Larry Parrish posted:

The best part of Apocalypse Now is how Tropic Thunder is only slightly more ridiculous

The Philippine army was lending the choppers and crews for Apocalypse Now during a civil war and would sometimes need to leave abruptly to go shoot at rebels

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

canyoneer posted:

The Philippine army was lending the choppers and crews for Apocalypse Now during a civil war and would sometimes need to leave abruptly to go shoot at rebels

Yup. Unreal.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soulex posted:

Would you guys be willing to teach me how to dive? I'd be down to help but I am 1) disabled and can't walk much and 2) am not keen on volunteering just to be a poop dude. I can stay at home and deal with poop all day.

Sorry dude, just saw this. The requirement to dive in ours is no more than a basic open water certification. Once we're in, the dive safety officers request that we clean a certain area of the tank (but have never gotten mad at me for screwing off the entire dive either). Your local aquarium will have their own requirements, but they're likely similar to ours. No idea about whatever disability you've got, but when you're floating in water and able to forget that gravity exists (if only for a little bit) it's pretty amazing. PADI is the main certifying organization worldwide (note: I'm a PADI Divemaster, so I'm going to be biased about organizations), and they have a sister org called Patriots for Disabled Divers that's geared specifically towards veterans. Search either of these for your closest shop!

https://www.padi.com/

https://www.patriotsfordisableddivers.org/for-those-who-served/

If you're at a school, check if they have a scuba club. Ours is a pretty solid place to find weed and people with hilariously dirty minds (last club motto: "the deeper you go, the better it feels!". Upcoming: a picture of a smiling bubble that says "keep blowing me!")

Thump! posted:

I joined the Army to be a cav scout after six years in the Marine Reserves, and they put me on MGS trucks at Fort Wainwright.

And we've got a month of gunnery at the start of the snowy season.

Lol my life is a comedy of errors.

loving own-goal of the year right here, everyone

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I really enjoyed getting my PADI cert. :)

And I haven't had the chance to dive since. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
In undergrad they handed out money to small groups that always kept things a secret and I missed out on the dive club. Was considering recertifying now but I'm a little unsure on how much I want to spend on equipment.