Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Illegals Spoilers

Midnight is literally female Mineta btw.

http://readms.net/r/vigilante/006%2B%20Alpha/4319/10

Kild fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Eela6 posted:

Lady Box Wine

the superheroine australia deserves

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kild posted:

Illegals Spoilers

Oh my God, I forgot about that scene. :cripes: Never mind, I take it all back.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't see how Jiro's reaction was portrayed as positive though, lots of people have self image issues and lots of people like to be seen as attractive so Jiro getting annoyed that she is ignored in favor of the other girls because she is not as buxom as them or whatever is a very realistic issue for a teenager to have. While I'm sure she doesn't want to be perved on by Mineta that doesn't change the fact that she could use his opinion on her as a baseline for how she thinks other boys look at her, now obviously that is not a good thing, but it's a very common way of thinking so it feels like realistic characterization, not an endorsement of that way of thinking. It's how that is handled in the future that really matters, IMO.

Hell, you need characters with nuance to get a good story. You need characters whose desires are not necessarily good. If every character perfect morals it'd be a boring story. And hell, we know these stories already, these are the old cartoon stories with the simple stories of good vs evil. And if anything MHA is explicitly not that. The Hero Killer arc was about how it's explicitly not that. Jiro's reaction to not being targetted by Mineta is exactly that kind of nuance on a more everyday level.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Something that kind of sort of makes Mineta tolerable to me is that it doesn't seem like any of his classmates actually like him. Like I don't remember anyone in 1A actively engaging him in conversations or hanging out with him, they only seem to respond when Mineta's talking to them.

It's been a while since I re-read the manga or watched earlier episodes so I could be wrong though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't think he's a pariah or anything, they definitely like him well enough as evidenced by their betrayal when he revealed that he was among the smarter half of the class.

But they are quick to call him on his poo poo and it's not endorsed as a good thing. There's a lot more "You're terrible Mineta" than "Ohoho Mineta you're terrible" if that makes sense.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Moltrey posted:

The locker scene with Mineta is probably the worst for me as Jiro is sad and embarrassed that she was the only girl Mineta wasn't trying to perv on, implying she would've felt better if she DID get creeped on, ending the scene with the notion that Perving On Women Is Good Because At Least It Makes Them Feel Attractive which hooooooly poo poo what. like it's the the intent probably but yeah that's probably been the worst for me

Kaminari is mostly fine, like the cheerleader outfit thing is weird but also he actually talks to the girls and they're just not interested cause he's a goober.
The Jirou thing didn't really strike me as problematic because there's already a dynamic where she's body conscious and Momo very extremely isn't which kinda works as a dynamic beyond fanservice at least a little honestly. Momo needs to expose her body at least somewhat to use her quirk and doesn't seem terribly well socialized (she's kinda bad at reading social cues)- of course she can't be body conscious because she couldn't work as a hero otherwise. Her self-confidence issues are related to competency.

Jirou actually acts like an average teen- she's arguably the least physically developed of the girls and has some body image issues because of it (partially because she's friends with Momo who basically looks like an adult woman standing at 5'8" where the rest of the girls barely make it over 5"). It's like one of the few instances where the kids act like kids instead of proto-adult heroes. Kaminari and Jirou actually are about the most normal kids in the class- Kaminari has trouble focusing on classwork, less creepily sideeyes girls with Mineta, and (unsuccessfully) macks on every chick he meets (he makes a move on Uraraka right off).

Mineta gets out and out owned immediately when he peeps which kinda softens the scene- him groping Tsuyu (twice) was more gross IMO. The "Uraraka has PMS" joke was something I 100% would've heard in high school so ehhh.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 12, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Midnight is an adult genderbent Minata, which makes it icky.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ehh Vigilantes is official but I don't think it's crazy to ignore that particular Midnight thing like it never happened. If they reference it in the main comic then yeah she's female Mineta but until then I'm going to hold that to the other writer taking a character to the extreme because he thought it was funny.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Fabricated posted:

The Jirou thing didn't really strike me as problematic because there's already a dynamic where she's body conscious and Momo very extremely isn't which kinda works as a dynamic beyond fanservice at least a little honestly. Momo needs to expose her body at least somewhat to use her quirk and doesn't seem terribly well socialized (she's kinda bad at reading social cues)- of course she can't be body conscious because she couldn't work as a hero otherwise. Her self-confidence issues are related to competency.

Jirou actually acts like an average teen- she's arguably the least physically developed of the girls and has some body image issues because of it (partially because she's friends with Momo who basically looks like an adult woman standing at 5'8" where the rest of the girls barely make it over 5"). It's like one of the few instances where the kids act like kids instead of proto-adult heroes. Kaminari and Jirou actually are about the most normal kids in the class- Kaminari has trouble focusing on classwork, less creepily sideeyes girls with Mineta, and (unsuccessfully) macks on every chick he meets (he makes a move on Uraraka right off).

Mineta gets out and out owned immediately when he peeps which kinda softens the scene- him groping Tsuyu (twice) was more gross IMO. The "Uraraka has PMS" joke was something I 100% would've heard in high school so ehhh.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't see how Jiro's reaction was portrayed as positive though, lots of people have self image issues and lots of people like to be seen as attractive so Jiro getting annoyed that she is ignored in favor of the other girls because she is not as buxom as them or whatever is a very realistic issue for a teenager to have. While I'm sure she doesn't want to be perved on by Mineta that doesn't change the fact that she could use his opinion on her as a baseline for how she thinks other boys look at her, now obviously that is not a good thing, but it's a very common way of thinking so it feels like realistic characterization, not an endorsement of that way of thinking. It's how that is handled in the future that really matters, IMO.
I totally agree that stories about teenage girl body issues are important and interesting, but man there's gotta be better ways to do them than Jiro Feels Bummed The Class Pervert Didn't Want To See Her Naked Without Her Consent. It also doesn't feel like either was the moral Hirokoshi was going for and it also kinda sounds like there's some manga events that this sets the groundwork for which is interesting if that's true, but right now it stands out as this weird scene where Jiro would've felt Better if she was horned up after, which yeah isn't unthinkable when it comes to humans but it's a weird message to send to teenagers.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It is also pretty silly to take her words literally. She is Midnight, the 18+ Hero after all. I read those pages as her having a tendency to talk in explicit euphemisms and Aizawa thinking she's a weirdo for it, not her openly announcing her intentions to molest some children. That and I don't think she's ever talked about anyone else's bodies, which by itself invalidates her as a "Female Mineta." With the exception of her fight with Mt. Lady that is, but I mean strictly creeping on buff dudes. She's just made some Midnight faces when getting all wound up over youth and kids saying cool things, that's her thing.

As for Jiro, it could've been handled/written better but I never saw it as any more than her being self conscious. Sometimes a desire to not be excluded isn't equal to a desire to be included, she probably would have been angrier if Mineta had talked about her body, but as is she was just concerned since she was one of the few not mentioned. I could be overlooking important subtext as a guy reader though, I will admit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sometimes being ignored feels worse than being objectified. I think that's a pretty common problem for a lot of kids really.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What a character would or wouldn't have done differently in a different situation is a moot point. Jiro isn't a real teenager reacting to a messy emotional issue. Mineta isn't a real teenage boy whose behavior can be understood through a certain lens.

They are representations of those thing. There is editorial control, not just in what you're showing, but in how you're presenting it, and the implications from these situations. Mineta doing something creepy and then getting punished for it isn't some progressive message. It's the same people who just drew those teenage girl's boobs getting squeezed, or a girls' locker room, or what have you, trying to have their cake and eat it too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm not going to characterize it as progressive (it isn't) but I don't think it's really that problematic in this case since it at least does a tiny bit of character building which is more than can be said for other moments involving the tiresome token perv character.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, just.... gently caress Mineta. Throw him off a bridge, replace him with Shinso, and then we'll never have to have this conversation again.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

Honestly, just.... gently caress Mineta. Throw him off a bridge, replace him with Shinso, and then we'll never have to have this conversation again.
or make it so it's not the only fuckin part of his character.

Somehow people tolerate or like Meliodas and Roshi and they're waaaaay worse because they uh, actually do things and have arcs and all that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kild posted:

Illegals Spoilers

Sorry I don't see how this makes her at all like Mineta?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Caphi posted:

Sorry I don't see how this makes her at all like Mineta?

Did you not click on?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kild posted:

Did you not click on?

I did. She's enthusiastic about her job being in charge of the next generation, using her normal cavalier, aggressive phrasing. Are you misinterpreting the word "chicks"?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Caphi posted:

I did. She's enthusiastic about her job being in charge of the next generation, using her normal cavalier, aggressive phrasing. Are you misinterpreting the word "chicks"?

So she makes a bunch of sexual euphemisms in reference to underage children, kisses a guy without his consent and then threatens to punish him later on her dungeon as A BDSM hero. ok guess you're right because Mineta wouldn't threaten sexual torture. Hell she's the one that caused there to be a minimum dress code.

Kild fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 12, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mods rename me to The Midnight Boys

Sorry I'm a huge bummer in this thread, I sincerely love this series, but this one constant running theme can make me see red

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Caphi posted:

Did you not click on to the next page(s)?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Moltrey posted:

Mods rename me to The Midnight Boys

Sorry I'm a huge bummer in this thread, I sincerely love this series, but this one constant running theme can make me see red
Mineta is insanely one note and it's a gross note which makes his antics tiresome in a manga that is otherwise excellent. So I totally get it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hargrimm posted:

Did you not click on to the next page(s)?
Probably not.

There's three relevant pages, Caphi.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Booger Boy is a bad character and it's not because he's a pervert, it's because he's one dimensional. The last three pages of this thread read like one huge puritan circlejerk.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Mineta is a bad character with a bad design who is also a bad hero. He should be in B-class, switched out with almost literally any other B-class hero.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I've gotten over Mineta if only because discussing his character is a laborious way to kill a perfectly good thread about a perfectly good show.

e: He ruins the manga thread whenever brought up, too. If I hate his character for any reason, it's the dozens of pages of rote, subjective discussion on his merits and lack thereof.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can we please stop talking about it as we are getting nowhere with this discussion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Imagine all the time we'll have to talk about it when this season ends.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Alright. Let's move on to a completely uncontroversial topic.

Who... is best girl? (it's Uraraka)

Ed: I don't normally give a drat about teenage romance but I want her and Deku to continue being cute... forever

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 12, 2017

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Alright. Let's move on to a completely uncontroversial topic.

Who... is best girl? (it's Uraraka)

Mina.

Speaking of Uraraka, Infinity Girl is a way cooler hero name than Uravity.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Eela6 posted:

Lady Box Wine

Ah, my sister in-law.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hommando posted:

Mina.

Speaking of Uraraka, Infinity Girl is a way cooler hero name than Uravity.

All of the female students have terrible hero names with the exception of Earphone Jack.

RIP Alien Queen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I won't hear you besmirch Froppy.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Radish posted:

All of the female students have terrible hero names with the exception of Earphone Jack.

RIP Alien Queen.

You beat me to it with that edit, I liked Alien Queen.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Froppy is the best possible hero name.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Froppy! Froppy! Froppy!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Shere posted:

Froppy is the best

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
best woman is mt. lady, let's not play loving games here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Best girl is up for debate but best woman will always be Deku Mom.

• Locked thread