Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Digging the Communicator watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

please dpph

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
He's got biceps to spare!

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Sep 7, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"One punch!"

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Warcraft 3's Tyrande Whisperwind as cosplayed by narga-lifestream.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
man that's the sort of cosplay you seriously need help with. All that blue paint.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How long does it even take? Is it like how actors have to spend hours in the makeup chair?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Some body paints can be applied pretty quickly, especially if you have good practice. I'm willing to bet this took no more than a couple of hours to put on and set. It helps that it's only the one shade! Well, aside from the facial markings.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, I've seen borderlands cosplays where they replicated the cell shading all over, that must be a hell of a job to put on.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How long does it even take? Is it like how actors have to spend hours in the makeup chair?

Not that long. For a costume like that, you can expect to be on the con floor for about an hour so an old standby trick is to mix your body paint with lotion. It goes on smooth and is easy to wash off.

In other news, because I will always pimp his work, PreztelBot got on Kotaku AGAIN
https://cosplay.kotaku.com/more-nier-cosplay-1803099083

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Amazing.
I'm glad that the art of practical effects will not disappear​ once Hollywood goes full CGI.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The day cosplay goes full CGI I am out!!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Amazing.
I'm glad that the art of practical effects will not disappear​ once Hollywood goes full CGI.

Practicals are really common on lower budget indie movies, enough that some make a point of it

A recent-ish movie, Harbinger Down is almost entirely practical effects, i think they only used CGI to erase like wires and poo poo

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sloober posted:

Practicals are really common on lower budget indie movies, enough that some make a point of it

A recent-ish movie, Harbinger Down is almost entirely practical effects, i think they only used CGI to erase like wires and poo poo

Dunkirk used very little too. In fact it was kinda bad that they didn't add some to the ship sinking scene.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

A friend of mine used to do something similar for this group:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/meryddian/sets/72157612170858129/
It was almost all airbrushed, which I imagine speeds things up as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LingcodKilla posted:

Dunkirk used very little too. In fact it was kinda bad that they didn't add some to the ship sinking scene.

To be fair, that's a Christopher Nolan film and he's known for eschewing CGI for practical effects in just about anything he directs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

To be fair, that's a Christopher Nolan film and he's known for eschewing CGI for practical effects in just about anything he directs.

What I love is how painfully literal the explanations are.

How did they do that bit in TDK where they flip the truck? They got a truck, and they flipped it .

How did they do the rotating corridor in Inception? They built a corridor, and they rotated it.

How did they do the bit in TDKR with the plane hanging from a bigger plane? They got a plane, and they hung it from a bigger plane.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah but adding smoke to a smokestack of a ship going down while steaming away is no big deal to do.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What I love is how painfully literal the explanations are.

How did they do that bit in TDK where they flip the truck? They got a truck, and they flipped it .

How did they do the rotating corridor in Inception? They built a corridor, and they rotated it.

How did they do the bit in TDKR with the plane hanging from a bigger plane? They got a plane, and they hung it from a bigger plane.

"Practical" effects.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They got the reaction shot so close with Shazam and Beetle there. I'm sure they could have dug up a Canary, Mister Miracle, and Martian Manhunter instead of those plebs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yume Nikki.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/N9pQEEY.mp4

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Why do people keep dressing up as orange sadness? I just don't get it.

I kind of hope "Orange Sadness" catches on as a nickname for Velma now

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
She's not even the star of the show!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CzarChasm posted:

Why do people keep dressing up as orange sadness? I just don't get it.

I kind of hope "Orange Sadness" catches on as a nickname for Velma now

Because DeviantArt decided she was sexy

https://www.deviantart.com/tag/velma :nws:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

DeviantArt makes a lot of terrible decisions.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Mad Max: Fury Road did tons of awesome stuff with not a lot in the way of CGI enhancement. Mostly it was to remove the wires stuntmen were wearing, or to give explosions a bit bigger punch.

All those cars and trucks, they built multiple copies, and smashed the poo poo out of them out in the desert.

Here's a YT video that shows some of the stuff they did.

Be warned that Mad Max behind the scenes videos is an easy rabbit hole to fall down.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Fury road is the best recent example of what makes practical effects awesome, also of why CGI is just one tool in the filmmaker's bag.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Fury road is the best recent example of what makes practical effects awesome, also of why CGI is just one tool in the filmmaker's bag.

I usually don't give a crap about the Academy Awards because I know what a joke they are, however Fury Road actually made me caremad because not winning best director as well was a complete travesty.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fury Road probably could also have done that stuff in CGI and nobody would have noticed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aphrodite posted:

Fury Road probably could also have done that stuff in CGI and nobody would have noticed.

Uh yeah, some folks would have. Because cgi cars are visibly different from real ones. Condolences for your malfunctioning eyes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I didn't need deviantart to tell me this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think I found a clue on why people find it attractive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Uh yeah, some folks would have. Because cgi cars are visibly different from real ones. Condolences for your malfunctioning eyes.

Fury Road already has plenty of computer inserted cars.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aphrodite posted:

Fury Road already has plenty of computer inserted cars.

No poo poo. What's your point?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Please don't get creepy about Velma cosplay! :ohdear:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

my cat is norris posted:

Please don't get creepy about Velma cosplay! :ohdear:

You're like 4 threads too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

some 40ks

]