Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I feel like I'm in crazy town here but I hope we can at least admit that Creati sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Radish posted:

I feel like I'm in crazy town here but I hope we can at least admit that Creati sucks.

Incorrect. None of the girls are bad.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No I mean Momo is great, but her hero name isn't.

Infinity Girl would have been a cool name...

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Radish posted:

As a hero name its awful.

I like Yayozoru though. I think she's a very relatable character. She's a good kid having trouble living up to the expectations she & society have placed on herself. It leads her to freeze up and not assert herself, even when she's capable of doing well (as was a big part of the last episode). It makes her less fun than some of the more lighthearted characters, like Mina, but balance is important. Plus I like her anime spike hair.

She's a good counterpoint to Iida, who covers somewhat similar emotional territory.

Iida is best boy. He just tries. So. Hard.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah Iida is the best.

Sorry if I gave the impression I was being negative on the characters themselves...

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Name tier list:

S+ Mt. Lady
S Froppy, Alien Queen
A: Eraserhead, Serophane
D: Creati

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Most of the hero names are insanely Japanese so I kinda find most of them weak since they operate on puns in a language I don't speak.

Also the thing with this series is that all girls are best girl. It's like Horikoshis greatest feat.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Did Bakugau ever end up choosing a name that was allowed?

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Crossing my fingers she changes her height name to Yao-Momo

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Eela6 posted:

Name tier list:

S+ Mt. Lady
S Froppy, Alien Queen
A: Eraserhead, Serophane
D: Creati
SSS Tier is just using your first name like Shoto and Tenya

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Radish posted:

No I mean Momo is great, but her hero name isn't.

Infinity Girl would have been a cool name...

Oh, okay yeah, I got mixed up between the "best girl" chat and the hero name chat. I agree that it is a pretty disappointing name.

Eela6 posted:

Iida is best boy. He just tries. So. Hard.

I'm sorry, but Iida committed the Cardinal Sin of Shonen Anime by giving in to revenge and losing sight of his ideals. He has to earn his way back to best boy. For now, that role can be filled by Kirishima.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fabricated posted:

Most of the hero names are insanely Japanese so I kinda find most of them weak since they operate on puns in a language I don't speak.

What the gently caress are you talking about?

All Might
Endeavor
I Cannot Stop Twinkling
Pinky
Mt. Lady
Midnight
Gran Torino
Best Jeanist
Eraserhead
Present Mic
Snipe

Wow, all these Japanese puns.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Also the thing with this series is that all girls are best girl. It's like Horikoshis greatest feat.

Are they though? It seems like most of the student names are either straight up English or a use English as part of a contraction. I think that the only explicitly Japanese name was Tsukuyomi.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
how did i forget about BEST JEANIST

SpacePig posted:

. For now, that role can be filled by Kirishima.

The kid with the steel quirk from class 1B? I dunno, he doesn't really stand out.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waffleman_ posted:

All Might
Endeavor
I Cannot Stop Twinkling
Pinky
Mt. Lady
Midnight
Gran Torino
Best Jeanist
Eraserhead
Present Mic
Snipe

Best Jeanist is a Japanese pop cultural reference and Endeavor has a Japanese fire pun in his name.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

Endeavor

I don't know about the rest, but this one actually is a Japanese pun. The "en" in Endeavor comes from 炎 (pronounced en), meaning flame. It's also in his real name, Enji, there it is properly written in kanji.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Eela6 posted:

how did i forget about BEST JEANIST

The kid with the steel quirk from class 1B? I dunno, he doesn't really stand out.

The fact that Kirishima is voice by Justin Cook in the English adaptation, but Tetsutestu isn't voiced by Christopher Sabat doing a Kuwabara voice still makes me incredibly angry.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'll give you Endeavor, but you can figure out Best Jeanist from loving context. They even reference the competition when he's introduced!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also 2 is not "most"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Having a "jeanist" competition is incredibly Japanese.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mountain Lady

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hagakure rules.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
"Red Riot" is a good solid hero name. So's "Ingenium" if Iida ever goes for it.

Hagakure's hero name is just baiting Marvel into a lawsuit.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm hoping Deku picks a better hero name. I know it's cute that he picked it because Uraraka changed his outlook on it, but it's still a reminder of how much Bakugo has been a dick to him for nearly a decade.

I do like that so far Deku has not told anyone that he and Bakugo are totally best friends a la Naruto and Sasuke. He's just a guy Deku grew up with who may or may not be his friend.

Eela6 posted:

Froppy! Froppy! Froppy!

:frogc00l:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Every person's actual name has something related to their quirk in it though

like tetsutetsu tetsutetsu for example is 4 different kanji for iron/hard

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Aurora posted:

Every person's actual name has something related to their quirk in it though

like tetsutetsu tetsutetsu for example is 4 different kanji for iron/hard

Wrong. Only the first and last kanji in Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu's name mean Iron (the last being an archaic kanji for it), the other two have different meanings but were chosen due to having the same pronunciation.

Mirage posted:

"Red Riot" is a good solid hero name. So's "Ingenium" if Iida ever goes for it.

He already did, he called himself Ingenium when he fought Stain and I think promotional material referred to him as Ingenium. Todoroki (purpousefully) and Bakugo (not) are the ones going by their real names now.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

King Explode Kill will catch on, just wait

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wrong. Only the first and last kanji in Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu's name mean Iron (the last being an archaic kanji for it), the other two have different meanings but were chosen due to having the same pronunciation.

I mistook "hard" for "pierce" whatever, point is that everyone's real name has some great poo poo if you look at what they mean

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpacePig posted:

Incorrect. None of the girls are bad.

Froppy is bad but this season of the anime won't get into why. Admittedly the Filler massages some of my problems with her, so maybe if they keep doing that she'll be a real character.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Tokoyami/Dark Shadow is best boy and Mina is best girl. Any questions?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RubricMarine posted:

Even his shadow~! I'm dying.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Froppy is bad but this season of the anime won't get into why. Admittedly the Filler massages some of my problems with her, so maybe if they keep doing that she'll be a real character.

I read the manga and have no idea what you're talking about.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RubricMarine posted:

Tokoyami :swoon:

Is Dark Shadow a separate consciousness from Tokoyami, or is it based on his personality? Is the edge merely an affectation, and Tokoyami is really this upbeat gung-ho guy deep down?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SpacePig posted:

I read the manga and have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, Tsuyu hasn't had nearly enough focus yet to judge whether she's a good or bad character except she's the best.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Tsuyu hasn't had nearly enough focus yet to judge whether she's a good or bad character except she's the best.

This but less ironically. Froppy has had outsize positive reception in the fandom but in the show she's been a B-lister through and through except for one kind of eh filler episode. As a character she isn't calling for this kind of backlash.

Footnote: Aoi Yuuki is great.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 12, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Caphi posted:

Footnote: Aoi Yuuki is great.

This made me look up voice actors, thinking she was someone else, and found out that the woman who voiced Yamada in Working! voices Mineta and now my day is ruined. I hope you're happy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

SpacePig posted:

This made me look up voice actors, thinking she was someone else, and found out that the woman who voiced Yamada in Working! voices Mineta and now my day is ruined. I hope you're happy.

Actually this works because they're both bad people.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

SgtSteel91 posted:

King Explode Kill will catch on, just wait

Lord Explosion Murder is way better

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Caphi posted:

Actually this works because they're both bad people.

Alright, now you've gone and done it. I'm officially mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Tokoyami :swoon:

Is Dark Shadow a separate consciousness from Tokoyami, or is it based on his personality? Is the edge merely an affectation, and Tokoyami is really this upbeat gung-ho guy deep down?

I think Dark Shadow has a separate/independent personality, though Tokoyami can probably influence/order him around. He did mention during the sports festival arc that Dark Shadow gets harder to control when it's dark out, after all, so that implies some independent will. Also:

He's just a good boy.

• Locked thread