Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Kliff is more of a Mike Leach, Dana Holgerson, or Bill Belichick disciple than Kevin Sumlin. I mean, I guess he followed Sumlin from UH to A&M, but that's giving Sumlin a bit much credit.

Actually, looking through a bunch of those, it's giving a lot more credit to a lot of people than they deserve. Dana in Gundy's tree? Nah. He installed the O at OSU, but that's about it. And why is Neal Brown joined under Mike Gundy?

If they had done it that way, Leach and Holgerson would be on the Hal Mumme coaching tree (and if Dykes was still at Cal, so would he). Though their styles are far from it, Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp would be grandchildren of that tree as they were on a single staff under Chris Hatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If they had done it that way, Leach and Holgerson would be on the Hal Mumme coaching tree (and if Dykes was still at Cal, so would he). Though their styles are far from it, Kirby Smart and Will Muschamp would be grandchildren of that tree as they were on a single staff under Chris Hatcher.

Leach and Franklin are both definitely Mumme guys. And I'm much more of a philosophical tree guy than a "where they got their start" guy. Do Smart and Muschamp take their coaching philosophies from Hatcher? Doubt it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah it's just doing things conveniently to make a pretty chart. Which as long as you don't look at it as the last word can at least be somewhat interesting.

Barry Odom is part of Gary Pinkel's tree in reality but it's interesting he coached for a while under Fuente who's now moved on to VT.

Yeah I was expecting to see Barry to Gary (or Larry Smith :newlol:) with he and Saban connected up to Don James

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol at giving Kirk credit for grooming guys who worked for him during his awful 3 year stint at Maine and then got a head coaching job like 20 years later.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Kevin Sumlin, huh

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Benne posted:

So Kevin Sumlin, huh

His own dumb fault for not realizing opponents can make halftime adjustments and he should respond in turn.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, we were sitting there at half saying, "well, I guess there's not going to be a coach fired this month"

I think we were wrong.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Kevin Sumlin's job is extremely over.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't want to admit that 8-4 isn't good enough because i feel like I'm living an 8-4 life. If I concede that Sumlin is a loser, I'm somehow conceding that I'm a loser.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Dead Man Walking.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He's not going to be fired mid season

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

famous last words

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

famous last words

truer words never spoken

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mizzou fires their DC DeMontie Cross:

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/907005914850512896

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

General Dog posted:

Update- he's likely to be fired mid season (possibly as early as September 30 after the South Carolina game)

Chad Morris seems to be an overwhelming favorite for the job. He honestly seems to check all the boxes of what you'd look for: has some personality, spread guru, lots of Texas high school connections(he coached HS for 16 years). That profile is pretty similar to you-know-who up in Waco (except for the personality part).

Chip Kelly is a pipe dream. I'm willing to bet he never returns to college football, and if he does it's going to be to the Pac-12.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 12, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Missed this post but mentioned it in the aftermath thread.

Weird timing because it looks like they're scapegoating him for a game where the D actually did a respectable job. But he's been a disaster from day one so everyone is glad he's gone, I can't believe he wasn't quietly let go during the off season.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Update- he's likely to be fired mid season (possibly as early as September 30 after the South Carolina game)

Chad Morris seems to be an overwhelming favorite for the job. He honestly seems to check all the boxes of what you'd look for: has some personality, spread guru, lots of Texas high school connections(he coached HS for 16 years). That profile is pretty similar to you-know-who up in Waco (except for the personality part).

Chip Kelly is a pipe dream. I'm willing to bet he never returns to college football, and if he does it's going to be to the Pac-12.

What has Morris done at SMU that makes you think he'd be any better than Sumlin?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

What has Morris done at SMU that makes you think he'd be any better than Sumlin?

Nothing, I don't think he'll be much better than Sumlin on the balance, clearly something ails this program that goes beyond coaching. That said, Sumlin being gone is a fait accompli at this point, so I'm just looking at who the least disastrous options are going forward.

As far as his tenure at SMU, he's taken a program that was in pretty bad shape when he found it and shown linear improvement over three years. Yeah, a lot of his appeal stems from his time at Clemson and his high school career, but what he's done at SMU certainly hasn't taken any of the shine off of him as far as I'm concerned.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 12, 2017

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Sumlin's ceiling appears to be 8-9 wins unless he has a Johnny Manziel under center again, but those 8-9 wins are gonna come with a lot of heart attacks, usually be stacked early in the year, and not be against the big names in the SEC west (unless, again, he has a Manziel) so I'm willing to take a shot at someone else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To be entirely frank, 9 wins seems like A&M's ceiling, not just Sumlin's

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think we're to the point that Sumlin and A&M could each use a fresh start.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
June Jones did better than Morris has, so I'm not sold he's worth a flyer as a hc. Also, yeah, 9 - 10 wins is about what A&M should expect looking at historic performance.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Neil Armbong posted:

Also, yeah, 9 - 10 wins is about what A&M should expect looking at historic performance.

After looking at sports reference, this in a good season.

RC Slocum did go 12-1 one year though!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

June Jones did better than Morris has, so I'm not sold he's worth a flyer as a hc. Also, yeah, 9 - 10 wins is about what A&M should expect looking at historic performance.

Granted, the program was abysmal when he started- worse than it was when Chad Morris took over- but June Jones never went better than 8-5 in 7 seasons, and the majority of that was in C-USA. Yeah, Morris isn't a proven commodity, but anybody who is a proven commodity is locked up. It's not like we're going to go out and get Dan Mullen or Gary Patterson or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

After looking at sports reference, this in a good season.

RC Slocum did go 12-1 one year though!

Jackie Sherrill though early RC (mid 80s to mid 90s) is definitely the apex of the program (post-integration).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

General Dog posted:

Granted, the program was abysmal when he started- worse than it was when Chad Morris took over- but June Jones never went better than 8-5 in 7 seasons, and the majority of that was in C-USA. Yeah, Morris isn't a proven commodity, but anybody who is a proven commodity is locked up. It's not like we're going to go out and get Dan Mullen or Gary Patterson or something.

Jeff Bhrom y'all

A&M fans have a massively inflated sense of where they want the program to be vs what they have actually won (not much)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

That's way better than any Morris season to date and there is a ton of overlap between that version of CUSA and the current AAC

There are plenty of coaches with better mid major resumes than Morris has so far assuming you're willing to look beyond TEXAS HIGH SCHOOL TIES

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 12, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jeff Bhrom y'all

A&M fans have a massively inflated sense of where they want the program to be vs what they have actually won (not much)

I think something like Georgia under Mark Richt is a reasonable ceiling for A&M (9-10 wins more than half of the time with a high floor), and as someone who's been a Sumlin apologist for quite a while, I think I've finally seen enough to conclude that we're just not quite getting there with him. His run is very respectable within the context of the program's history, but for whatever reason, he reliably loses control of the team for multiple game stretches. It's a symptom that's getting worse every year, and it's not something that can be fixed with a good recruiting class, or a new coordinator, or a new conditioning coach. For everything that he brings to the table, it seems he's not a good leader, and there's no fix for that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've enjoyed watching the years long drama over Kevin Sumlin unfold from first hiring to now everyone begging for him to get fired mid-season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't want him to be fired mid-season because it never accomplishes anything beyond the hastening the dismantling of your recruiting class and embarrassment for all involved parties. The program always says "now we can get a head start on the coaching search and be on the radar for all the top candidates," and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

You say this as if it would be a bad thing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

But then at the same time aggy nation is going nuts about the false flag letter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Grittybeard posted:

You say this as if it would be a bad thing.

There's a billboard near my old house that used to have Herm Edwards on it talking about the benefits of adoption or something. All I could ever think of was herm in front of fountain.gif.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a billboard near my old house that used to have Herm Edwards on it talking about the benefits of adoption or something. All I could ever think of was herm in front of fountain.gif.

That was Tony Dungy wasn't it? Either way- I get them confused, too.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

General Dog posted:

...and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

What's wrong with playing to win?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

General Dog posted:

I don't want him to be fired mid-season because it never accomplishes anything beyond the hastening the dismantling of your recruiting class and embarrassment for all involved parties. The program always says "now we can get a head start on the coaching search and be on the radar for all the top candidates," and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

Herm Edwards would kill recruiting and he was a legit good coach until his KC teams got real old real fast

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E: i'm dumb, wrong thread

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 12, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Herm Edwards would kill recruiting and he was a legit good coach until his KC teams got real old real fast

I...disagree. Then again I'm a KC fan.

But I still want nothing more than I want to see Herm Edwards coaching in college.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's gotta be old now and he'd be ungodly awful at modern college Xs and Os but I assume he would be a big hit in living rooms. That dude says nothing but absolute nonsense but when he's done talking I definitely feel like I want to go tackle whatever he wants me to tackle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not sure how I'd feel about my own team taking a flyer on him, but I kind of think Rex Ryan might kill it as a college coach.

• Locked thread