Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

They're almost always $5 a month for a watch.

Interested in buying my series 2?

This applies to anyone in general. I'll probably be selling my series 2, sport space gray, one small scuff in the left corner.

That's not bad for 5$ a month. I'd probably do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

They're almost always $5 a month for a watch.

Interested in buying my series 2?

This applies to anyone in general. I'll probably be selling my series 2, sport space gray, one small scuff in the left corner.

I PM'd you.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The watch getting LTE and being able to act independently from the phone for more poo poo would be amazing.

This is going to be a great cashgrab for the Telecoms to lease these things for 24 months at some dumb cost of like 8.99 per month. It's going to do wonders for Apple.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm looking forward to a new sim-for-watches form factor that is closer to a fine powder than a full size sim card.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Will just be firmware on an embedded component.

Seems like a good opportunity for Apple to push more carriers onto the "Apple SIM" thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nerdrum posted:

This is going to be a great cashgrab for the Telecoms to lease these things for 24 months at some dumb cost of like 8.99 per month. It's going to do wonders for Apple.

Also traditionally, carriers will offer $50-100 off the watch with two year contract (so you pay up front). Not sure if anyone has done payment plan for a watch yet, I know Verizon hasn't yet.

You'll probably see a lot of push to get the watch with iPhone purchase like how Verizon offers $xxx off an iPad with iPhone purchase.

I think it could make it sell super well though. $5 a month isn't a lot. A lot of people have the objection of "oh I'm always on wifi" with iPad connections, but maybe the watch it'll be both a little cheaper and people could see the utility of sometimes not having their phone on them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't typically recommend things but I've purchased several knockoff sport bands on Amazon and all of the are varying levels or medicore compared to the real Apple products. However I just got a knockoff Nike band and it seems every bit as good as the real apple product. And $8 is a lot better than $50.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRHPEER/

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I also purchased a black Milanese loop off Amazon for about $20 and worn it every day for 18 months and have absolutely no complaints.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

I also purchased a black Milanese loop off Amazon for about $20 and worn it every day for 18 months and have absolutely no complaints.

:same: Mine has some discoloration where the magnet holds and in the inner band from movement/grind but it still looks good and the magnet holds just fine.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My fake Milanese Loop broke at the lug after a couple months. Wear with caution!

I've had the real one (in black) for about a year now and it's still like new, although if it too were to break and destroy my watch, Apple would probably shrug at me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, anecdotally my fake Milanese is one of my favourite Amazon impulse buys. Worn it every day for most of a year and it's probably more tarnished than when I received it but the deterioration (if any) has been so slow that it still looks great to me. It doesn't slip, only catches on my sleeve once every few weeks, just generally a pleasant watch band to wear.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I predict an LTE Apple Watch demo involving a lady on a paddleboard on Lake Tahoe, weather permitting

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone know how well watchOS 4 is working on series 0 watches? I'm probably going to hold off on getting a series 3 and hope it doesn't cripple my 0.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I made an Apple event thread to discuss Watch updates (among other things).

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone know how well watchOS 4 is working on series 0 watches? I'm probably going to hold off on getting a series 3 and hope it doesn't cripple my 0.

You’ll be fine. I’m running the beta on mine and it’s got no performance problems.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I dont use social media so if the watch LTE thing works out I'll never be using my phone again. Instead of putting a phone in my pocket I'll just carry my airpods.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I suspect that in reality, very very few people will be using the watch alone. More power to you if you think you can pull it off.

However I have to say that if you think the only reason to have a phone vs. the LTE watch is social media, you may not have thought this one through completely.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I am perfectly happy talking this stuff out, I get a kick out of it. I basically want to be the guy from Her.

So, my idea with just using the Watch on my wrist with AirPods at the ready in my pocket (where my phone used to be) is that all I currently use my phone for now is:

Calls (rare!)
Texts
Mail
Calendar
GPS
Music
Checking Feedly when bored.

All of this can be done on the watch. Obviously writing long emails on the watch isn't really feasible but this is basically my dream set up for on the go stuff. Stuff that needs a quick response is doable. I like the idea of not really having a distracting screen tempting me.

What would you foresee me needing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

I am perfectly happy talking this stuff out, I get a kick out of it. I basically want to be the guy from Her.

So, my idea with just using the Watch on my wrist with AirPods at the ready in my pocket (where my phone used to be) is that all I currently use my phone for now is:

Calls (rare!)
Texts
Mail
Calendar
GPS
Music

All of this can be done on the watch. Obviously writing long emails on the watch isn't really feasible but this is basically my dream set up for on the go stuff. Stuff that needs a quick response is doable. I like the idea of not really having a distracting screen tempting me.

An iPhone.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So you never research anything on your phone when you're out and about? No Safari use?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I feel like I’m the only one who hears “LTE Watch” and the first thing I think is “with a 250 mAh battery? Yeah ok”

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

No I never use safari on my phone. Never for anything that would make me be like Oh actually yeah I need to carry around this phone instead.

I dunno, I have been really trying to get away from looking at screens. I have tried to use my phone less and less and make a conscious effort to only sit down to use screens and not just be on them scrolling infinitely.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

No I never use safari on my phone. Never for anything that would make me be like Oh actually yeah I need to carry around this phone instead.

I dunno, I have been really trying to get away from looking at screens. I have tried to use my phone less and less and make a conscious effort to only sit down to use screens and not just be on them scrolling infinitely.

Look at this guy trying to lead a productive, distraction free life. :discourse:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

There are still options for that.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

...but now I get it in a watch

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

GoldfishStew posted:

...but now I get it in a watch

No now you just get all the distractions in a smaller screen.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Alfalfa posted:

No now you just get all the distractions in a smaller screen.

you really don’t though

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

GoldfishStew posted:

Calls (rare!)
Texts
Mail
Calendar
GPS
Music

Banking maybe? One of my most used apps on my phone is my bank's app.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Hey at least he wants to gently caress his watch instead of his real doll now

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that at the moment Spotify does not have an Apple Watch app. It handshakes with Now Playing, but you cannot stream directly to the watch. Only Apple Music playlists can be stored on the Watch for now.

Spotify bought out the guy working on Snowy, so presumably this will come eventually

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Hey at least he wants to gently caress his watch instead of his real doll now

Good perspective.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That Spotify snowy thing is never coming out.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That Spotify snowy thing is never coming out.

I think it will just get rolled into the standard Spotify app at some point, no?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fat chance of Apple allowing it on the watch

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I use Apple Music and yeah banking but I think with some forethought I'd be good. I guess I will need to see what is viable via the watch LTE

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the S2 is just being phased out completely.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'll consider a 3 if T-Mobile is cool about the plan.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
RIP Space Black SS + Link band. The best Watch.

That sucks. The new stainless steel models are cellular only. No wifi only models.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'll consider a 3 if T-Mobile is cool about the plan.

:same: I wonder when they’ll announce the plans.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I have a series 2 sb I'll be selling if people want to snag a discounted one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I've not looked on the US store, but on the UK site, the Series 2 has been removed. You can only buy (or soon, pre-order) the Series 1 and the two versions of the Series 3.

• Locked thread