Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

EDIT: Sure enough, it's right there near the top. Dear writers/translators: when your boss "tips" are an unbroken blob of 8-point sans serif text that takes up an entire in-game page of text, you might be getting a bit too wordy, kupo.

this boss is resistant to breaks but it might still be a good idea to bring heathen frolic sarabande and exhausting polka, kupo!

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious protip for 220 Cagnazzo: doing it solo with a full back row team is a million times easier than doing it in MP.

yeah but where's the sport in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prav posted:

this boss is resistant to breaks but it might still be a good idea to bring heathen frolic sarabande and exhausting polka, kupo!

While I get that the tips are meant for people who may not have 100% grasp of the game on earlier difficulties, for later stuff like this, well...

As a thought exercise (and as a way of venting my frustration), I reduced that blob of text to bullet points:
  • Does mixed physical/magic damage so you need both kinds of mitigation
  • Ultimate Inferno is an ultimate dispel
  • Ultimate Firaga is piercing damage
  • Ultimate Firaja minorly imperils, but is only a counter while cloaked (Does he use it otherwise? Not sure)
  • Counters while uncloaked with ordinary AoE Fira
  • Slightly Weak to Ice/Water uncloaked, absorbs fire, omniresist otherwise, omni-null while cloaked
  • Cloak/uncloaks on a timer (5 turns off/3 turns on? That seems correct but I could be totally wrong on the numbers).
  • Always uses Ultimate Inferno before raising his cloak; use the cloaked time to get status buffs back up

Is that really so hard, Dr. Mog?

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 11, 2017

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

KataraniSword posted:

Is that really so hard, Dr. Mog?

Yes. He got his PhD from a diploma mill, you see.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The really interesting thing is how much of the boss description blob is just kupos. At least a line or two I'd say.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Fister Roboto posted:

The really interesting thing is how much of the boss description blob is just kupos. At least a line or two I'd say.

kupo is moogle for dick

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If Lightning uses an EnLightning, does that make it an EnSelf?

:rimshot:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Need a picture of Lightning stuffing pastries into her face with all of the EnClaire casting she's doing.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 11, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Please leave your weird fetishes out of this.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I was all ready for the Jump Start to Ultimate Dispel me, but he died before he ever put his cloak up :(

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So hey guess who got back into the game recently.

Anybody want to summarize all the new insane stuff added like USBs and CSBs and Legend Materia so I can add that info to the OP.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Dr Pepper posted:

So hey guess who got back into the game recently.

Anybody want to summarize all the new insane stuff added like USBs and CSBs and Legend Materia so I can add that info to the OP.

Ultra Soul Breaks (USBs): Rather than just doing a ton of damage in one strike like OSBs, these are made to offer a large amount of utility in one package. Many also include some kind of EX Mode, which give various benefits while active. A good example is Cloud's USB which does 5x ST Wind/Non-Elemental attacks and gives him a 30% damage boost, 100% Critical Rate, and lets all attacks break the damage cap for the duration. Another example of a more supporty USB is Tyro's which is a Party Hastega, HP Stock 2000, Status Blink 1, and a Self Instant Cast x2.

Chain Soul Breaks (CSBs): These activate a Chain Limit which boosts the damage of a particular element for a short duration from your whole party. This bonus stacks up as you land more hits with the chosen element. These are basically centerpiece relics for elemental teams.

Legend Materia: Obtained from multiple sources. The first is the Legend Dive, which is an extension of Record Diving only accessible after completely filling out a character's record dive. This takes 5* motes and offers a variety of bonuses including Legend Materia. These are equipped in their own LM slots, of which you have 2. These act just like Record Materia. The other source of LM are from relics and are mastered just like Soul Breaks, including a mastery bonus. Typical Legend Materia include things such as a Minor chance to double cast certain ability schools, increasing a certain stat based on a threshold (like # of black magic abilities used), or increasing the duration of buffs or debuffs from the character.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Cosmic Afro posted:

Cid Raines would probably kick a shitload of rear end with his BSB and being LMed. Vanille too, with BSB. Hope... well, when we get his.

Hm, that was some good advice. Thanks.

I can only speak anecdotally to my experience, but my recently-dived Cid got his first real workout yesterday against Scarmiglione, and with an Agrias Holy imperil and a little luck on his procs, I managed to crank out 80k damage per turn for four turns straight, with 0 cast time. IT'S PRETTY GOOD.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

managed a sub-60 initial clear against Living Flame with just Yuffie (BSB) and Tidus (OSB, no enwater) for damage, without having to LD either :toot:

i haven't honed either of the new ninja abilities yet but they seem pretty respectable even if you don't have Edge's USB

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Some more info on the new relics:

* Squall's UOSB is 3x overflow hits (we knew this).
* Lightning's UOSB is 20x ranged normal hits + a single, ranged Overflow hit at the end. Helloooooo chains.
* Lightning's Flash is not just instantcast Enlightning, but also EnElement Stacking like Sephiroth. I'm much more intrigued now.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Being able to semi reliably farm major fire orbs off of living flame is good times

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm clearing Liquid Flame in around 24 seconds, Edge USB is a hell of a drug :getin:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Prav posted:

i haven't honed either of the new ninja abilities yet but they seem pretty respectable even if you don't have Edge's USB

Looking at it, they work best with someone who has a Doublecast Ninja LM (so Edge or Shadow) or against a boss that doesn't do a lot of physicals. It's kind of the same rabbit hole as Thancred's BSB1 - attacks that get stronger off of pblink are risky because of how quickly removed it is.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Christ I wish I could sub 30 any one of them but it's not even close to being close.

Not really a fan of farming them as is but I'll do enough for the monthly mythril rewards.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Christ I wish I could sub 30 any one of them but it's not even close to being close.

Not really a fan of farming them as is but I'll do enough for the monthly mythril rewards.

I almost have Sealion to 99. After that I'm going to try Fenrir again. If I still can't figure it out I'll grind up 4 99 Taharkas for the extra ice boost and see if that helps.

It's kind of a bummer that beating these almost definitely relies on having OSBs of the proper elements and usually one good USB.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
My current biggest gripe about the magicite content is how slow levelling them is. While gunning for the first 20 monthly clears I'm already at the point where I'm getting so many dupe magicites, that my rate of EXP has no chance to keeping up. End result is than I have a bunch of 3* dupes from elements I can clear reliably, that I can maybe finish levelling to 99 next year. By that time I'll have even more dupes.

Feeding magicite to others magicite should probably give them more EXP than it does now.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Do you never run XP dailies? All my 3* magicites are max level

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

My current biggest gripe about the magicite content is how slow levelling them is. While gunning for the first 20 monthly clears I'm already at the point where I'm getting so many dupe magicites, that my rate of EXP has no chance to keeping up. End result is than I have a bunch of 3* dupes from elements I can clear reliably, that I can maybe finish levelling to 99 next year. By that time I'll have even more dupes.

Feeding magicite to others magicite should probably give them more EXP than it does now.

Bring a single magicite (just one, the one you most want to get to 99) to the + EXP dailies. If you have a full five equipped it'll split the EXP among them same as with characters.

Since I'm more worried about leveling up magicite than levelling up characters, I just have five MC3'd stooges I haven't gotten to 99 yet that I autobattle through it with.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I run them constantly. When you reach 81 with them, the exp speed just turns glacial. Like I'm getting little under a level per 40 stamina daily on currently level 94 Enkidu, who is being levelled solo.

But I'm also running to the issue where I have no actual characters to level with them. I'm also scraping the bottom of the barrel, and orbfest will probably force me to level cores.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i wish i could feed eggs to my magicites

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Got sub-30 for my Sealion team thanks to Legend Diving Papalymo, swapping Garnet out for Quistis, and getting Wendigo to level 80 for the Magic Boon level 10. Now I have a farmable source of Major Ice orbs, which will probably be useful down the road. Bismarck should be sub-30able too in a few months if not soon.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Beasteh posted:

I'm clearing Liquid Flame in around 24 seconds, Edge USB is a hell of a drug :getin:

What's your setup, my best is 28 seconds with lots of raging water dual procs

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

Looking at it, they work best with someone who has a Doublecast Ninja LM (so Edge or Shadow) or against a boss that doesn't do a lot of AOE physicals.

FTFY. For single target phys spammers, just bring a friend with Gaia Cross or Sentinel.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Snazzy Frocks posted:

What's your setup, my best is 28 seconds with lots of raging water dual procs

Edge @ Reflecting Pool R3/Raging Waters R4, OSB Katana reforged ++ 30/30 augmented/Water boost light armor, Mako Might (LMR + LM2) with USB + SSB
Squall @ Full Charge R3/Engulfing Twinstrike R3, OSB Sword reforged ++ 30/30 augmented/Water boost light armor, Dreamguide (LM1 + LM2) with BSB2 but not used
Cloud @ Hailstorm R2/Omega Drive R3, OSB Sword reforged ++ 30/30 augmented/Greg USB bracer, Truthseeker (LM1 + LM2) with USB
Ramza @ Water Veil R5/Wrath R5, MAG/water boosting reforged gear, Dr. Mog's Teachings with Shout + USB
Rosa @ Wrath R5/Protectga R3, USB staff reforged ++ 30/30 augmented/max MND/RES armor, Gathering Storm with USB

Just a whole hell of a lot of doublecast procs from everybody, Ramza helps out slightly but his water veils are only doing like 4-5k

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I feel like Hydra's been the best value for farming altogether. Hydra imperils, Enlil gives a huge double buff of empower and attack boon and Humbaba gives empower and crit chance. I've broken the 80 level cap for all of them and they will each realistically serve a purpose to crush Bismarck. If only the Bismarck magicites looked better. I'll have to play with a decent Living Flame party to start farming Mom Bombs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CaptainPsyko posted:

FTFY. For single target phys spammers, just bring a friend with Gaia Cross or Sentinel.

That assumes they're PHY-typed and not NAT-typed; the latter ignores draw fire/sentinel.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Got off my rear end and did Affliction Break and Dervish nightmare bosses today. Not too bad, though it was kind of close for the first one. I knew Dervish was easy so I just punched it out. It was also my first time using Noctis's Gladiolus Link and boy oh boy... That's a spicy soul break.

I think I might try and fit in one or two of these battles per day or something. I should probably tackle the older ones next that I haven't done, being Reraise and Neo Bahamut. I just don't like mage setups! Hopefully there's some miracle RW I can summon for both of those that kicks butt.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Currently at 2/40 on Vivi Trance Doublecast Procs. I managed a sub 30 on Sealion anyways, but failing so many coinflips has me worried for anniversary pulls.

I'll just tell myself I'm getting all the bad luck out of the way now.

Alxprit posted:

Got off my rear end and did Affliction Break and Dervish nightmare bosses today. Not too bad, though it was kind of close for the first one. I knew Dervish was easy so I just punched it out. It was also my first time using Noctis's Gladiolus Link and boy oh boy... That's a spicy soul break.

I think I might try and fit in one or two of these battles per day or something. I should probably tackle the older ones next that I haven't done, being Reraise and Neo Bahamut. I just don't like mage setups! Hopefully there's some miracle RW I can summon for both of those that kicks butt.

Reraise isn't bad with the multitude of the semi-offensive White Mage BSBs out there (except Selphie's with the Instant KO chance). Minwu BSB RW is great if you can't fit in a Hastega on your team, especially with the AoE white magic damage on his command 2. Mog BSB also works well as a Hastega with the MND buff making everyone do more damage. Or take Penelo or Lenna's BSBs for a one-man DPS strat with 4-hit white magic damage. Just have someone on constant standby on the last phase to immediatly cure Evrae's Poison and you'll do fine.

Neo Bahamut you might be able to just do like 30% of its health, create at least one sphere in Phase 2, and then pop either Rydia or Quistis's OSB RWs twice (specifically them because they're the only summon damage OSBs as far as I know). I think it's been long enough that they should do max damage, which leaves about 60k you need to do yourself.

Neither of these accounted for the Ninja spells either, so while they won't get the White Magic/Summon damage bonus, you can bring them along to help out a little. Just don't use their physical/black magic SBs.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 12, 2017

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Hogama posted:

There will be a free 11-pull banner with a free relic choice - all players will get 1 OSB, 1 BSB, and 1 SSB.

ayyyyyy, depending on what's on it I might finally get a guarantee at having Shout or Vessel native... in six months

iamsosmrt posted:

I feel like Hydra's been the best value for farming altogether. Hydra imperils, Enlil gives a huge double buff of empower and attack boon and Humbaba gives empower and crit chance. I've broken the 80 level cap for all of them and they will each realistically serve a purpose to crush Bismarck. If only the Bismarck magicites looked better. I'll have to play with a decent Living Flame party to start farming Mom Bombs.

My problem is that I use a mage team for Bismarck, so I'm giving up useful defensive buffs from my other magicites if I bring Enlil/Humbaba for empower lightning. Definitely gonna tote Hydra along for whale murder from now on though.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 12, 2017

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Finally beat my first Magicite fight (Bismarck) on literally the last possible move I had. Hopefully this makes subsequent clears easier, but I have a few questions about magicite. Well, mostly I'm just curious about how the elemental resistance/damage boosts work. Do they stack with the boosts from equipment/materia/etc? I'm assuming they don't stack with other magicite that have the same effect at least.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Crazy Larry posted:

Finally beat my first Magicite fight (Bismarck) on literally the last possible move I had. Hopefully this makes subsequent clears easier, but I have a few questions about magicite. Well, mostly I'm just curious about how the elemental resistance/damage boosts work. Do they stack with the boosts from equipment/materia/etc? I'm assuming they don't stack with other magicite that have the same effect at least.
They stack with equipment and materia.
They even stack with other magicite, but the bonus for each magicite with the same effect is halved so you reach diminishing returns quickly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They do stack with gear and materia bonuses, and they do in fact stack with themselves. You get the full effect for the highest bonus, 1/2 effect for the second highest, 1/4 for the third, and so on. So if you have a level 4, 10, and 6 empowered lightning, you'd get a total of 10 + 6/2 + 4/4 = level 14.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Oh neat, that's better than expected. That might be enough to get me rolling on taking down the rest of them.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Just BARELY beat the D200 CM. Cecil and Kain both with BSBs and Cloud USB RW. Boost skill for boostga. Cecil was the only guy left standing and his last Paladin Force did the trick.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Anyone else think it's weird how selective FFRK is about who gets to be a bard and who has access to the best bard abilities? Because Kefka gets to have full access to bard without having sung a single thing in his game, yet Yuna has no bard, and Eiko doesn't get natural 5* (so no 6*). Some of the others get full bard access due to being more general talents, like Sarah and Gogo. And yet Celes doesn't get a nod, even with her opera outfit.

Is Edward the only character who actually sings in his game that gets full bard access? I'm not familiar with Type 0. Cait Sith is supporty so he gets a pass (also maybe he sings? Haven't played 7 in a while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Garnet is going to get Bard 5 (thus 6) access in a few months.

• Locked thread