Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Amusing aside: if you are correct (and you may be) that the committee is just an excuse for Democrats to dishonestly kill UHC at the behest of the donors, then you're conceding that the thread title is correct, the Democrats are a waste and cannot be worked with in good faith, but must face constant threats to their jobs in order to coerce them to actually govern on behalf of the people or better yet primaried and replaced as soon as possible with good faith actors from the progressive wing of the party.

LOL, beatifully done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Condiv posted:

they do apparently pollute less per capita than capitalists though

too bad capitalists are totally cool with destroying the environment as long as it makes them mad $$$

What are you talking about, the Eastern Bloc was drowning in pollution before the transition.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

What are you talking about, the Eastern Bloc was drowning in pollution before the transition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

In terms of CO2 at least it was actually more of a mixed bag. The big issue I think was more localized air pollution in the Eastern bloc.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

This is unfortunately true. As bad a polluter as the U.S. is, we don't have anything quite as dramatically awful as this.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I dunno, you did have a couple of rivers that used to catch fire at regular intervals.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

This is unfortunately true. As bad a polluter as the U.S. is, we don't have anything quite as dramatically awful as this.

Uhhh.... we pulled some crazy non-sense as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downwinders

Both sides really didn't give a poo poo until they were forced to.

Granted, I do think climate change at its heart is rooted in industrialization, and the need to move up the ladder of industrialization for any type of lasting improvement to society. That said, it was ultimately the US which has the power and wealth to push to something about it (especially after 1991) and largely did nothing. I don't know if the Soviets would have done better, but it clear in the end the US is the one that had the opportunity and blew it.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 12, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ardennes posted:

The big issue I think was more localized air pollution in the Eastern bloc.

I recall reading something about Russia/Europe in general wanting to count the soviet economic collapse as "their contribution to reaching Kyoto Protocol reduction targets", and is why Dubya didn't even attend the climate conferences during his terms. Confirm/deny?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

making GBS threads up the environment is something no extant or historical human society has avoided.
Kinda pointless to argue whether communists or capitalists were better or worse at it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

In terms of CO2 at least it was actually more of a mixed bag. The big issue I think was more localized air pollution in the Eastern bloc.

CO2 is one thing, but it is not immediately toxic, let's look at toxic pollutants.

For example the current 99th percentile for worst observed pollution by SO2 the US is 200 micrograms per m3. In 1980s in Czechoslovakia it sometimes reached 1500 micrograms - at which point it could commonly cause chronic bleeding from mucous membranes among other symptoms.

Or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. In 1990 the mean measured pollution in the EU for the common indicator particles was below 1ng/m3. In industrial areas of the Eastern Bloc it would frequently measure above 500 ng/m3.

And I could continue with stuff like acid rain severity, nitrogen compounds etc, etc. Again, CO2 really wasn't the main issue that troubled people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

shrike82 posted:

making GBS threads up the environment is something no extant or historical human society has avoided.
Kinda pointless to argue whether communists or capitalists were better or worse at it.

It's not because a non-zero amount of people idolizes state capitalism and thinks giving the state ownership over the economy will make it behave responsibly. And saying that the difference in pollution was due to different manufacturing scale is a lie, since the output of goods and pollutants was absolutely disproportionate. Anyway, the point is that western countries eventually started to fight environmental damage, while the Eastern economies continued doing worse and worse each year until the 90s.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 12, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don’t know what state capitalism is but ok

Stats about domestic pollution are meaningless because a lot of developed countries essentially outsource their pollution to places like China or India

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are fundamentally saying that pollution is a fixed function of the volume of manufacturing, and that there is nothing a government can do about reducing its pollutant footprint. I. e. things that are objectively wrong.

In reality statistics are only meaningless for people who don't bother to look into them in greater detail.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 12, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

No, I’m arguing that pollution stats about market economies are meaningless because they can outsource pollution to the third world

When you buy an iPhone, does the environmental footprint of that count towards US stats or Chinese stats?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

shrike82 posted:

No, I’m arguing that pollution stats about market economies are meaningless because they can outsource pollution to the third world

When you buy an iPhone, does the environmental footprint of that count towards US stats or Chinese stats?

Ireland, since that's where Apple's tax havens are.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

steinrokkan posted:

are you doing a fair one on one comparison here? you've been comparing the pollution of the US as a whole to a portion of the USSR

wrt toxic pollution, there's a town in my state that had to be abandoned because of how terribly polluted it ended up.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Waste is a waste.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Peachfart posted:

I would love a single payer bill. I also know that you love to put words in my mouth. I do get a laugh that you think I am affluent and happy with the status quo, simply because I questioned what the left had accomplished and don't think this committee will do anything.
If I thought this would go anywhere I would react differently. But I don't. The article even says 'Rendon did not explicitly say whether the hearings are meant to result in a bill that could establish universal health care in the state'.
It just smells like they are bullshitting you.

When you shill so hard for complacency and the status quo that when leftist activism gets the party leadership to respond, you accidentally loop around to arguing that the political process is a con, democracy is a sham, and the parties are so rotted through with corruption that the Democratic establishment will lie and cheat to dishonestly kill progressive legislation that has massive public support if it inconveniences a donor, no one in the party leadership today can be trusted and the only way forward is political revolution.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 12, 2017

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

VitalSigns posted:

When you shill so hard for complacency and that status quo that when leftist activism gets the party leadership to respond, you accidentally loop around to arguing that the political process is a con, democracy is a sham, and the parties are so rotted through with corruption that the Democratic establishment will lie and cheat to dishonestly kill progressive legislation that has massive public support if it inconveniences a donor, no one in the party leadership today can be trusted and the only way forward is political revolution.

The democrats are a waste.

e: Seriously though, this bill not being worked on and then having the party go "well hey it's lovely and incomplete can't do anything about that" reminds me a lot of the Republican Strategy for Things.
"Government is bad. So let's make it suck and prove it's bad so I can get what I wanted to begin with", etc.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 12, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Democratic uselessness is a little different than Republicans. Republicans run on the idea that all government sucks (ignore that we are the government :ssh:). Democrats use the excuse that everything has to be done incredibly slowly, so slowly you may not even ever notice a difference. Expecting anything to get better quickly is childish and not serious. It's how they support the status quo while pretending they don't. This sort of super slow movement logic doesn't really apply to everything though so you can sort out pretty quickly what they actually support and what they don't.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The 538 podcast is especially bad this week but I don't know where to post about it.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The Kingfish posted:

The 538 podcast is especially bad this week but I don't know where to post about it.

Lol why would you subject yourself to that podcast?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jizz Festival posted:

Lol why would you subject yourself to that podcast?

Is this a podcast for people with an excel fetish?

Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight uses statistical analysis — hard numbers — to tell compelling stories about elections, politics, sports,

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think most everything on FiveThirtyEight is for people who don't actually understand politics but are super invested in believing that they do.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think most everything on FiveThirtyEight is for people who don't actually understand politics but are super invested in believing that they do.

Its normally the primo podcast for people who want voyeuristic political analysis from "rational," disinterested elites. This week it was just another bad podcast about how Hillary Clinton has a RIGHT to be heard.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I enjoy listening to different flavors of bad liberal opinions.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Dems bad, so what

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

The Kingfish posted:

I enjoy listening to different flavors of bad liberal opinions.

Are you a bad enough dude to listen to Hillary's 16hr epic titled "It's Bernie's fault"?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah, I listened to it too and it's real bad.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
She's hilariously defensive on the Pod Save America podcast too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If I was Hillary Clinton I would take all my money and just vamoose to a tropical paradise, live off my wealth in my twilight years, and hang out with all the rich people I considers my peers. I wouldn't even need to be with Bill anymore if I didn't feel like it since who gives a poo poo about optics when you just bug out. It sounds a lot more fun than wasting time with this stupid tour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

white sauce posted:

Dems bad, so what

Dems bad, peeps dead.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/907616199453954048

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

If I was Hillary Clinton I would take all my money and just vamoose to a tropical paradise, live off my wealth in my twilight years, and hang out with all the rich people I considers my peers. I wouldn't even need to be with Bill anymore if I didn't feel like it since who gives a poo poo about optics when you just bug out. It sounds a lot more fun than wasting time with this stupid tour.

The only thing she knows how to do well is to make money off her fame, can we really blame her for wanting to make a few extra million off her loss to a fascist pig?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

lmao at thinking Pelosi's on your side. If she lived in like Oklahoma she'd be a blood-red Republican and she'd not change a single thing.

John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe

steinrokkan posted:

You are fundamentally saying that pollution is a fixed function of the volume of manufacturing, and that there is nothing a government can do about reducing its pollutant footprint. I. e. things that are objectively wrong.

In reality statistics are only meaningless for people who don't bother to look into them in greater detail.

You are wasting your time. Condiv is a completely insane tankie. People in gulags deserved to be there, the Soviet Union didn't pollute and everything the United States does is bad.

You can't argue with someone like that because their worldview is so fundamentally warped.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

John Henry Miller posted:

You are wasting your time. Condiv is a completely insane tankie. People in gulags deserved to be there, the Soviet Union didn't pollute and everything the United States does is bad.

You can't argue with someone like that because their worldview is so fundamentally warped.

I don't know if many of those in gulags deserved it. But you certainly could use a mandatory vacation to one.

John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe
"Support our President and legally elected government" = "deserves to be imprisoned" according to liberals.

The violence of the USSR wasn't some aberration. Violence and oppression are an essential part of leftwing thought. Coercion is the only way it works.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

"Support our President and legally elected government" = "deserves to be imprisoned" according to liberals.

The violence of the USSR wasn't some aberration. Violence and oppression are an essential part of leftwing thought. Coercion is the only way it works.

Lol you think we're liberals. So naive. Also if coercion makes you a non liberal that is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

That coercion is insanely good. Handwringing about coercion is just one sign among many that you're the real liberal itt.

• Locked thread