Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Harrow posted:

I think Pewdiepie is self-aware enough to know that him making a huge deal out of it probably wouldn't lead to anything productive. He's a little poo poo, yes, but he isn't a crusading little poo poo. Up until now, at least, he doesn't really seem like the kind of guy who'd respond to this by suing on principle, y'know?
He's going to lawyer but lol if you pdp won't bitch endlessly about it. You see how he acted about the (((washington post))).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

hbomberguy! I finally got around to watching you and you are just great! Thank you very much for making the videos.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

temple posted:

He's going to lawyer but lol if you pdp won't bitch endlessly about it. You see how he acted about the (((washington post))).
Pretty sure it's the WSJ he's upset at. For an article 4 years ago.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Pretty sure it's the WSJ he's upset at. For an article 4 years ago.
You're right. He's going to bitch though. At least passive aggressively for a while. I find pdp to funny sometimes (the more current satirical stuff) but he's flirting with danger and he knows it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

temple posted:

You're right. He's going to bitch though. At least passive aggressively for a while. I find pdp to funny sometimes (the more current satirical stuff) but he's flirting with danger and he knows it.

People keep saying he's satirical. What exactly is he satirising?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Who What Now posted:

People keep saying he's satirical. What exactly is he satirising?
He satirizes his critics and himself. One video he was playing a WW2 game to prove he wasn't a nazi. So he shot hitler in the nuts and he started fading away like marty mcfly.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

temple posted:

He satirizes his critics and himself. One video he was playing a WW2 game to prove he wasn't a nazi. So he shot hitler in the nuts and he started fading away like marty mcfly.

That wasn't satire, that was a documentary.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

temple posted:

Yeah, he'll probably complain about it, but my guess is that he's unlikely to pursue actual legal action, especially for something comparatively minor like this. He's not an ideological crusader, and unless this is what pushes him over the edge into full-on alt-right territory, I don't really see him spending a bunch of money to try to sue Campo Santo just to prove a point over what is likely a negligible amount of lost income from his Firewatch videos.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i saw pewdiepie at glow in the dark mini golf the other week. that's my story. thank you for listening

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did he miss a putt and yell a slur at the ball?

Did he call it a little white cuck ball?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol Joe Rogan made fun of New Zealand basketball players doing the Haka and:

Later, Rogan posted on social media that he had "got a bunch of messages today from people in New Zealand p..... off that I made fun of people doing the haka at a basketball game.

"For the record, before I apologise to anyone I offended I just want you all to know that I've also called it "one of the dopest war dances the world has ever known".

"I was just making fun of the fact that they were doing it at a basketball game and that the American players they were competing with were staring at them looking kinda confused.

"On my podcast we make fun of a lot of s.... . We get high, we get silly and we try to be funny. If I thought that many people from New Zealand would get p..... off I would have never said it, or I would have tried to make fun of the situation in a more respectful way.

"Being American I'm ignorant to what the Haka means to the culture of the people of New Zealand, and unfortunately I p..... some people off by joking around, and for that I sincerely apologise.

"What's really f..... up about it is that I actually think the Haka is amazing and we've talked about it being a pretty incredible thing to watch many times. I was just making fun of one moment where it looked out of place in a basketball game.

"My sincerest apologies to the people of New Zealand."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/96735100/joe-rogan-apologises-to-new-zealand-over-stupid-haka-remark

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it sucks that pewdiepie is rich enough he could never make another cent and live super comfortably for the rest of his life.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Guavanaut posted:

Did he miss a putt and yell a slur at the ball?

Did he call it a little white cuck ball?

no but tons of other youtubers live here and i can assure you that they are the worst people alive

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

JFairfax posted:

Later, Rogan posted on social media that he had "got a bunch of messages today from people in New Zealand p..... off that I made fun of people doing the haka at a basketball game.

"For the record, before I apologise to anyone I offended I just want you all to know that I've also called it "one of the dopest war dances the world has ever known".

"I was just making fun of the fact that they were doing it at a basketball game and that the American players they were competing with were staring at them looking kinda confused.

"On my podcast we make fun of a lot of s.... . We get high, we get silly and we try to be funny. If I thought that many people from New Zealand would get p..... off I would have never said it, or I would have tried to make fun of the situation in a more respectful way.

"Being American I'm ignorant to what the Haka means to the culture of the people of New Zealand, and unfortunately I p..... some people off by joking around, and for that I sincerely apologise.

"What's really f..... up about it is that I actually think the Haka is amazing and we've talked about it being a pretty incredible thing to watch many times. I was just making fun of one moment where it looked out of place in a basketball game.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/96735100/joe-rogan-apologises-to-new-zealand-over-stupid-haka-remark

It is pretty dope.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd be cool with Maoris beating Joe Rogan into a coma.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I Before E posted:

It is pretty dope.

I read "Joe Rogan" and "offended people" and I expected the worst, but that is actually good?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was great when joe rogan owned carlos mencia.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

"Gamers are idiots for saying the n word. IDK why I said it but I'm sorry for the 73rd time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLdxuaxaQwc

temple fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 12, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Lovechop posted:

no but tons of other youtubers live here and i can assure you that they are the worst people alive

Oh god, are they congregating in one place now? Is there a Hollywood of youtubers?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Honestly it's a better apology than I was expecting out of him. Still used the "If anyone was offended.." cop out.

Mike Matei's 10 year old racist comics were dug up recently but apparently he's not a big enough deal so he ignored it and the controversy just went away.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't understand the huge number of youtube comments along the lines of "He said it because he was frustrated so it's okay, he said it towards another white person so he's not racist and why would it be racist anyways because black people say it to each other all the time."

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't understand the huge number of youtube comments along the lines of "He said it because he was frustrated so it's okay, he said it towards another white person so he's not racist and why would it be racist anyways because black people say it to each other all the time."

An unfortunate amount of people genuinely believe that you cannot be racist unless you have explicit intent to do so. And also, they realllllly want to say the n-word.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raenir Salazar posted:

youtube comments are incredibly stupid nearly all of the time, that's why

pewdiepie's fans are also literal children, like teenagers, who are also typically very stupid due to a combination of hormones and life inexperience

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Although it's related to poo poo PDP did a few months ago this thing is still hilarious. Really though it goes to show the centralist mentality of most big youtubers, and then comes the day when it blows up in their faces that they've actively been courting reactionaries by continuing their use of false equivalencies.

quote:

It's a middle ground the husband and wife partnership like to straddle. "I don't want to be on the alt-right and I don't want to be on the left, where it's never OK to say anything offensive," says Ethan. "I make what I want, and sometimes my videos appeal to the alt-right, and sometimes they appeal to the social justice warrior left, or whatever you want to call it. I don't identify with either of them."

"What you see in the comments is – what can you do, it's YouTube. You can't control who's there," says Ethan. "It bothers me when I make a video making fun of feminists, then all the time I see all these alt-right comments, and it's like – I don't want to identify with them. I don't want to necessarily court these people, and I'm sure Ian feels exactly the same way. It's just, what can you do? It's almost like you're suggesting that you have to choose a side, and that's something that I found really frustrating."
Case in point.

Doc Neutral fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 12, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't know if it's really centrism so much as the big Youtubers being cowards who are afraid the easy life they've carved out will vanish if they criticize somebody with a big fan base.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Doc Neutral posted:

quote:

"What you see in the comments is – what can you do, it's YouTube. You can't control who's there," says Ethan. "It bothers me when I make a video making fun of feminists, then all the time I see all these alt-right comments, and it's like – I don't want to identify with them. I don't want to necessarily court these people, and I'm sure Ian feels exactly the same way. It's just, what can you do? It's almost like you're suggesting that you have to choose a side, and that's something that I found really frustrating."

Case in point.

When I see stuff like this, I'm reminded of the solution that the Punk Scene arrived at decades ago for dealing with unwanted patronage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI

It'd be nice for some of these fence sitters to take a real deep look at just what kind of audience their content is curating for them. H3H3/Idubbz/Filthy Frank and that whole "scene" keep talking about how they don't want to be see as "allied" with internet Nazis, but are okay enough with them to not try to drive them away from their audience. If you really don't want to be associated with Nazis, then tell the Nazis to gently caress off.

"Why do we have to take a side!?"

That's such an unintelligent conclusion to make about the situation. Your only choice isn't to either side with the Nazis or side with people who are not Nazis. You can just tell the Nazis to gently caress off and that they are not welcome.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

I don't know if it's really centrism so much as the big Youtubers being cowards who are afraid the easy life they've carved out will vanish if they criticize somebody with a big fan base.

most people do seem to believe in the fallacy of the golden mean. it's where we get that stupid idea of balance and why in the media you'll always have two sides in a "debate" even when the "debate" has an objectively correct position like climate change or vaccines.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's kinda amusing seeing Youtubers take that false middle ground approach because at least I can thankful for the ones that do seem to give a drat, like how Achievement Hunter and Roosterteeth's personalities all seem to loath the Alt Reich. They don't go out of their way to tell the audience to gently caress off if they don't like it but it comes close.

Is there any correlation between tubers that work with other people versus those that work as a part of a larger group in terms of how lovely they are?

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Lovechop posted:

Who else is in Brighton?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well aye if you aren't in the middle you probably wouldn't fit.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

JFairfax posted:

Joe, I'm impressed. Stuff like this is why I can't hate Rogan, even if I think he's dumb.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Lifeglug posted:

Who else is in Brighton?

i don't know that many names but it's people like pewdie, zoella, jacksepticeye, a bunch of annoying guys i wouldn't be able to name. mostly the annoying ones kids like, there's tons of them for whatever reason.

i mention this because of the time i was out having dinner with my girlfriend and there was a table of 4 of these popular youtube guys right next to us, they spent the entire night (when not being asked by 12 year old girls for autographs) talking at the top of their voice about loving their fans (which is great to hear after you've seen how old they are) and just being contemptible pieces of poo poo. i hate them ✌🏻

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I give them both a hard time, but honestly, both those Rogan and PDP apologies seem pretty decent.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mr Interweb posted:

PDP apologies seem pretty decent.

"Sorry if you were offended" isn't really an apology

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Joe Rogan's seems fine, but that's also just because what kicked it off doesn't seem like that huge of a thing? If it really was "lol the american players don't know what the hell's going on with the crazy dance" that doesn't sound like it was trying to be lovely to anyone, he could've just ignored it but it bothered some people and he apologized, so good on him.

PDP is a trash creature as ever though.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Crain posted:

When I see stuff like this, I'm reminded of the solution that the Punk Scene arrived at decades ago for dealing with unwanted patronage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MkRuV0aCcI

It'd be nice for some of these fence sitters to take a real deep look at just what kind of audience their content is curating for them. H3H3/Idubbz/Filthy Frank and that whole "scene" keep talking about how they don't want to be see as "allied" with internet Nazis, but are okay enough with them to not try to drive them away from their audience. If you really don't want to be associated with Nazis, then tell the Nazis to gently caress off.

"Why do we have to take a side!?"

That's such an unintelligent conclusion to make about the situation. Your only choice isn't to either side with the Nazis or side with people who are not Nazis. You can just tell the Nazis to gently caress off and that they are not welcome.

Youtubers are massive cowards who value viewcounts over any kind of ethical standard? I'm shocked I tell you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

"Sorry if you were offended" isn't really an apology
It's honestly more than I was expecting. Also "I'm an idiot" at least gets to the root of the problem even though it's not an adequate excuse.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
"one of the dopest war dances of all time"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd be cool with Maoris beating Joe Rogan into a coma.
Maori*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

little munchkin posted:

"one of the dopest war dances of all time"

Right up there next to Kung Fu Fighting and the Hustle.

• Locked thread