Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
except for la lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

interestingly the west coast cities seem to be a lot more integrated than the east and Midwest proving once again west coast best coast

California has one of the highest concentrations of Japanese people in the country, and yet Hollywood casts a white woman to be the lead in an anime adaptation. :thunk:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

California has one of the highest concentrations of Japanese people in the country, and yet Hollywood casts a white woman to be the lead in an anime adaptation. :thunk:

see above

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

also changing the races of everyone in The Last Airbender.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Racism from sea to shining sea. :911:

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
The ACA defender has logged in

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zegermans posted:

hot take you can't be pro nazi punching and anti dehumanizing redneck filth

See, this kind of thing is pretty hosed up ("filth", really?) and transparently classist. Like, the most harmful racists are the ones who are middle/upper class, but people focus on this general idea of a "dumb redneck" just because that sort of person is easier for them to demonize.

edit: I also find that people who do this usually fit into one of two categories. Either they're liberals who have never actually personally known anyone who would be considered a redneck, or they're someone with a personal animus towards them stemming from personal experience (for example having a terrible experience being raised by a fundamentalist christian family). The latter is understandable, but the former is generally just classism.

Like, I'm not saying that these people aren't bad, but rather that they're not really worse than your random Republican suburbanite.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Sep 12, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

See, this kind of thing is pretty hosed up ("filth", really?) and transparently classist. Like, the most harmful racists are the ones who are middle/upper class, but people focus on this general idea of a "dumb redneck" just because that sort of person is easier for them to demonize.

it's zegermans

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

Guillotine every single petit bourgeois motherfucker in the suburbs

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

zegermans, but lots of idiot libs do this despite the nazi rally uniform being polo shirts and slacks and the charlottesville car driver literally being a trust fund baby from the suburbs because it justifies their idiotic worldview

Serf
May 5, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I also find that people who do this usually fit into one of two categories. Either they're liberals who have never actually personally known anyone who would be considered a redneck, or they're someone with a personal animus towards them stemming from personal experience (for example having a terrible experience being raised by a fundamentalist christian family). The latter is understandable, but the former is generally just classism.

Like, I'm not saying that these people aren't bad, but rather that they're not really worse than your random Republican suburbanite.

look at who you're replying to

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The racial politics of Ghost in the Shell were so nuts it's amazing that anyone thought it would be a good idea. They tried excusing Scarlet Jo being the Major because she's a Japanese woman's brain transplanted into a white woman's body, but racial appropriation and erasure has nothing to do with any of the themes in the actual movie. The racial politics of the world are color blind, the city seems ethnically diverse with no overt prejudice against any group. There's absolutely no reason that makes sense for the corporation to transplant a Japanese woman's brain into a white cyborg body.

It's just another instance of market forces ruining the artfulness of media while simultaneously employing liberal colorblindness to excuse erasure. They cast a few Japanese people to play other members of Section 9, but they were all cameos who didn't even do anything.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Liberals 👏 Love 👏 The 👏 Culture 👏 War 👏 As 👏 Much 👏 As 👏 Conservatives 👏 Do

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

white sauce posted:

guillotine all small business owners

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Frijolero posted:

Liberals 👏 Love 👏 The 👏 Culture 👏 War 👏 As 👏 Much 👏 As 👏 Conservatives 👏 Do

which is hilarious because they lose every single time

Serf
May 5, 2011

the people rich city libs like to demonize as "dumb rednecks" hate the landlord class with a burning passion and are natural allies of progress

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think it's more accurate to say that libs win the war despite losing every battle.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this doesn't seem accurate to me tbh

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/907620090216153088

:goku:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think it's more accurate to say that libs win the war despite losing every battle.

prryhus of Epicurus 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

white sauce posted:

Starting with zegermans and his family.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Serf posted:

the people rich city libs like to demonize as "dumb rednecks" hate the landlord class with a burning passion and are natural allies of progress

oh come on

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

prryhus of Epicurus 2020

The short-term reactionary phase of any social issue will always favor Republicans, because it perfectly fits the timeframe of an election season. Democrats need much more substantial platforms than insisting that everyone be Not Racist or not CisSexist, but we already know that.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Quotey posted:

oh come on

They are, my dude. Moreso than the white moderate, at any rate.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hot take: class is a social justice issue.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

both rednecks and suburban chuds are terrible. being poor is not an excuse to be a racist poo poo

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
feel like posting a bunch of cornbread communism memes but then that's directly responding to zwegermans in a way that isn't

quote:

shut the gently caress up, zegermans

so I am in a quandary

Serf
May 5, 2011

Quotey posted:

oh come on

i mean i live in a rural area in the deep south. i talk to these people daily, and they're not the fuckin monsters that libs pretend that they are. all they ever do is grumble about how bad poo poo is for them, and are open to radical solutions both for better and for worse

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

zegermans posted:

both rednecks and suburban chuds are terrible. being poor is not an excuse to be a racist poo poo

Pol Pot was right about people from the cities

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Serf posted:

i mean i live in a rural area in the deep south. i talk to these people daily, and they're not the fuckin monsters that libs pretend that they are. all they ever do is grumble about how bad poo poo is for them, and are open to radical solutions both for better and for worse

weird because I encounter these people all the time and their simian understanding of the world rarely goes beyond "LOCK HER UP"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

zegermans posted:

weird because I encounter these people all the time and their simian understanding of the world rarely goes beyond "LOCK HER UP"

what kind of trucks do they drive?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what kind of trucks do they drive?

extremely loud ones, model year dependent on how many acres their parents GPS guided combines automatically farm for them.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

zegermans posted:

To be fair this is an excellent starting point

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

docbeard posted:

Hot take: class is a social justice issue.

but but how can I feel good about my 2 million dollar Brooklyn brownstone if I can't maintain a devout faith in a faux-meritocracy where the worst of our society are rewarded with the infinitely disproportionate masses of wealth and power

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

feel like posting a bunch of cornbread communism memes but then that's directly responding to zwegermans in a way that isn't

so I am in a quandary

just post memes imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

zegermans posted:

extremely loud ones, model year dependent on how many acres their parents GPS guided combines automatically farm for them.

You are literally describing the landlords you loving moron.

Serf
May 5, 2011

if you base your understanding of the rural poor around the rural rich then you don't actually know poo poo lol

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

zegermans posted:

Is this some kind of weird performance art where you demonstrate how objectionable racism is by mapping that sort of awful stereotyping onto a different group?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hillary should be locked up for supporting the Iraq War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Serf posted:

if you base your understanding of the rural poor around the rural rich then you don't actually know poo poo lol

in my experience the difference is how much money they're willing to invest in confederate memorabilia.

• Locked thread