Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I am a very bad wood worker and it's taken me over 15 hours to get to this point, but I have a shelf and some slides hopefully installed right and a single drawer installed. When I test fit a shelf it was too wide and pushed on the tracks, so I cut all the drawers down by 1/8" and now they're almost too tight in the tracks, pulling them.

In hindsight I should have built a smaller shelf for practice. Smaller drawers, smaller everything. Just to get used to working with track slides and building drawers. Having 1/2" drawer bottoms was a mistake too, it makes everything so heavy. 3/4" ply frame, 1/2" back, 3/4" drawer sides and 1/2" drawer bottoms. lovely butt joints and poor screw work. In hindsight I would have still done the kreg jig butt joints but I'd have cut a slot around the bottom of the drawers for something 1/8" or so to just slip into.

Keep with it, I find smaller things tend to have tighter tolerances and sometimes more difficult, and it's always good to work just outside your comfort zone. For my shop cabinets I did 3/4" frame, 1/2" drawer sides (all kreg jointed) then I just glued and stapled 1/4" ply to the bottom. Once you put some solid wood drawer faces on you won't even be able to tell it's screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I inherited a lathe which I am determined to put to use. Does anyone have any recommendations on a chisel/gouge set that won't break the bank? I'm mostly interested in doing small pieces at the moment, Christmas tree ornaments and things like that.

coathat
May 21, 2007

This is the set I see recommended the most for beginners. https://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LCHSS8-Chisel-8-Piece/dp/B000KI8CTS

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My personal take is that if your goal is to focus on wood turning, get a set as recommended above.

If you goal is to make furniture with turned parts, such as chairs or tables with staked legs, then I'd recommend getting some carbide insert tools, mainly a rougher and a detailer.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'm a few pages late but I've learned from old men who mostly carve wood with hand tools that depending on where you live, your luck and skills, it's really not unheard of to never pay for wood. Still just slowly teaching myself woodcarving when I feel like it and so far I've gotten: Lots of white birch, less cherry but it was dried so enough to wear my hands til they hurt, silver maple, american hornbeam (gently caress), aromatic cedar heartwood and lastly pine just for burning.

Never had a town guy or a private tree service turn me down yet just from walking up to them while working and saying hey I carve wood, any chance I could get a log? Every time they just say sure how long? And I ask for a few feet and usually offer a trade or a few bucks which they turn down and keep working. At least around here half of it becomes wood chips and half of those chips never sell and end up in a dump or with a cardboard sign begging people to come fill up their trucks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Now I just need to add false fronts and figure out if I'm going to stain or paint or what.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

My first "real" project in my garage. A couple of convertible chair/step stools for my niece and nephew.

My first actual project in the garage was a couple of Matthias Wandel's workbenches. The tops on mine suck though because they're just a bunch of 2x10s butted up against each other -- no joining and no planing because I don't have those things. They don't even have clean edges because I built them before my grandpa gave me his tablesaw. I need to fix them.

Kruxy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 5, 2017

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Baronjutter posted:

Now I just need to add false fronts and figure out if I'm going to stain or paint or what.

This owns. Did you follow plans or anything?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

A decent deal on a Grizzly G0715P with a router attachment in the Philadelphia area. My Laguna just shipped or I'd be on this like poo poo on velcro.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Heads up to hand tool people in WA: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/hand-tool-events is coming to Seattle in October, planning on going to check it out.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Any suggestions for interesting cable management techniques? I've poked around on Google and it basically seems like attaching something to the underside of the desk and stuffing it with cables is the best idea.

I'm building a desk very similar to this -

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

For those of you not stalking my post history across the forums I am in the process of having a garage built. Said garage will need a workbench in it.

I have minimal woodworking experience, no fancy joinery techniques but could perhaps learn some simple ones if needed. I am looking to build a bench for light wood working (think cutting/gluing/repairing simple things), minor car maintenance/repair, and tool storage (drawers).

Looking to make something 8ft wide and 2-3ft deep. Can anyone recommend plans I can download either for free or $$? Any resources to look at?

Tool wise for construction of this bench I have: drill, impact driver, circular saw, jigsaw, lovely chisels, hammer, miter box, saw horses, and can borrow my brother's mitre saw. Not opposed to buying some more tools but wouldn't want to spend crazy money on tools to build it either.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

Looking to make something 8ft wide and 2-3ft deep. Can anyone recommend plans I can download either for free or $$? Any resources to look at?

Tool wise for construction of this bench I have: drill, impact driver, circular saw, jigsaw, lovely chisels, hammer, miter box, saw horses, and can borrow my brother's mitre saw. Not opposed to buying some more tools but wouldn't want to spend crazy money on tools to build it either.

http://woodgears.ca/workbench

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fwiw, a sheet of plywood on top of some big box store drawer units did me fine for years.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Seconding this one.

Super easy to build with just a circular saw, a drill, a speed square and a chisel (if you want to get fancy with your half-laps)

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

This looks good and I like that I can add drawers afterwards.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
what finish would you guys recommend for a beech desk top. preferably a more matte finish

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

huhu posted:

Any suggestions for interesting cable management techniques? I've poked around on Google and it basically seems like attaching something to the underside of the desk and stuffing it with cables is the best idea.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/10200254/
Something like this, or go low tech and staple gun velcro ties to the bottom of the desk

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

huhu posted:

For my desk i mounted bolts to the inside/underside of the desk. There's about a 1/4-3/8" standoff (just the nut+washer holding the carriage bolts), then I mount a piece of pegboard to the bolts with some wing-nuts. All my devices (power strips, power blocks, hubs, etc.) are mounted to the pegboard with zip-ties, and the cables are all zip/twist-tied to the pegboard.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Hey all. I do a lot of woodworking, coffee and end tables, bed frames/headboards, shelves, etc.

I'm currently making a custom cutting board. Lots of curves and such. Using different colored wood is not an option. How can I darken/stain some parts? Obviously I can't use regular wood stain like I would on a coffee table or I'm liable to kill someone.

I've tried coffee and it's not dark enough. I need stuff that is natural, non-toxic, food-safe, etc. Red wine? Mixture of food coloring? Grape juice?

I need a deep brown or black and an orange/red color.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Ferrule posted:

Hey all. I do a lot of woodworking, coffee and end tables, bed frames/headboards, shelves, etc.

I'm currently making a custom cutting board. Lots of curves and such. Using different colored wood is not an option. How can I darken/stain some parts? Obviously I can't use regular wood stain like I would on a coffee table or I'm liable to kill someone.

I've tried coffee and it's not dark enough. I need stuff that is natural, non-toxic, food-safe, etc. Red wine? Mixture of food coloring? Grape juice?

There's a few types that have been tested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EmtYa93KEU and he did a second video as well.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
thanks!

I did a little research before I posted and that didn't come up (only things I'd seen/done before).

That Turmeric is a new one to me and is going into the 'ol toolkit.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

David Picciuto had these on his show last week.

https://purecolorinc.com/color-palette

It's all non-toxic, but I don't know if it's food safe. Their website doesn't say.

But they have some great colors so it might be worth reaching out to them and finding out.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Cool. Thanks.

Related - this thing has a lot of die cuts so there's some minor gaps. Anyone know of a good filler?

I'd hate to drop the cash on resin but if that's the way to go so be it.

I may be in over my head on this one...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ferrule posted:

Related - this thing has a lot of die cuts so there's some minor gaps. Anyone know of a good filler?

I'd hate to drop the cash on resin but if that's the way to go so be it.

Mix sawdust with wood glue until you get a paste, then fill the gaps with that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ferrule posted:

Check out fresh walnut hulls. Walnut is toxic for bugs n animals n poo poo, but hell people http://www.livestrong.com/article/145740-black-walnut-hull-side-effects/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Been chopping mortises in ash for days now, jeez what a PITA. Making a frame for a blackboard for the kids playroom, thought a mortise and through-tenon joined frame looked cooler than boring mitered frames you usually see.

Only got a bench chisel (10mm or 3/8") and I have been contemplating if mortise chisels are worth it. I have been told by one person that at sizes over 12mm (1/2") it doesn't matter much if you use a normal chisel, but under that the difference is striking. Claimed it was as big a step from a bench chisel -> mortise chisel as it was going from mortise chisel -> hollow chisel mortising machine.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I got a 12mm narex morticing chisel. It seemed ok, the extra heft and rigidity was nice, but I found it twisted almost as much, and actually did more damage when it did twist because it was so thick.

It's possible I was tempted to take too much off at a time, and maybe going slower I could have prevented it twisting. I have noticed in Paul sellers videos that he backs off and takes a smaller slice if it starts to misbehave.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I think English mortise chisels like the Ray Isles chisels are good and worth it. I have a 1/4" and 3/8" chisel and like them very much. They don't get stuck in nearly as much as a bevel edge chisel, and levering out waste never leaves me fearing I might bend them.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

I got a 12mm narex morticing chisel. It seemed ok, the extra heft and rigidity was nice, but I found it twisted almost as much, and actually did more damage when it did twist because it was so thick.

Same here, after disliking the narex set I got a couple "Sorby Registered Mortise chisels", and I like those a lot more. I didn't notice any twisting while using them at all.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hey thread. I'm getting some winter larch cladding on parts of my house. I know many people like the look of the silvering as it weathers but I don't. Is there an oil, coating, or other potion I can use to keep it looking like it will when it goes in?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hey thread. I'm getting some winter larch cladding on parts of my house. I know many people like the look of the silvering as it weathers but I don't. Is there an oil, coating, or other potion I can use to keep it looking like it will when it goes in?

There are plenty, but afaik none that will last forever without maintenance. I would look at finishes made for marine/boats. They would probably hold up a bit longer.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
So I assembled a dust collection system a few weeks ago, and it work(ed) great. The only problem is the basic 5gal Home Depot bucket is too flimsy and collapses under the vacuum. After a few days of light usage, all the flexing caused what you see below. Where should I get a heavier duty bucket? Preferably it would be a standard 5gal that my Dust Deputy/lid can snap onto without needing to remount on a new lid.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr Executive posted:

So I assembled a dust collection system a few weeks ago, and it work(ed) great. The only problem is the basic 5gal Home Depot bucket is too flimsy and collapses under the vacuum. After a few days of light usage, all the flexing caused what you see below. Where should I get a heavier duty bucket? Preferably it would be a standard 5gal that my Dust Deputy/lid can snap onto without needing to remount on a new lid.

Could you cut a piece of wood to fit inside it for some support? Thats wild.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Mr Executive posted:

Use two buckets, one inside the other. It will solve this problem.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

mds2 posted:

Use two buckets, one inside the other. It will solve this problem.

Ah, that's a good idea. Thanks

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wouldn't the inner bucket be sucked away from the outer bucket? Since its pulling a vacuum instead of being an expansive (right word?) force.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

In my experience, a bucket inside another bucket is one of humanity's most powerful sources of vacuum.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

GEMorris posted:

I think English mortise chisels like the Ray Isles chisels are good and worth it. I have a 1/4" and 3/8" chisel and like them very much. They don't get stuck in nearly as much as a bevel edge chisel, and levering out waste never leaves me fearing I might bend them.

I just got some Narex mortise chisels and I owe my girlfriend a book case. I'll update with my findings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

There are plenty, but afaik none that will last forever without maintenance. I would look at finishes made for marine/boats. They would probably hold up a bit longer.

Maintenance is fine, I just don't want to coat it in something that'll change the appearance (or allow the appearance to change).