Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I too am mad that this Bethesda computer video game, with its story and lore written by pre-teens, did not have its usage of skeleton props checked and curated by adult forensic experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Why is criticism of media always derided as people being "mad," anyway?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It comes from how I used to get really mad and criticize games, online. it just caught on that talking bad about a game means you're mad as hell, the way I was back then.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Keeshhound posted:

Why is criticism of media always derided as people being "mad," anyway?

It's supposed to deflect and invalidate criticism by downplaying it as an emotional issue rather than an objective one. Also popularized by the perennial 'u mad bro' trash talk common in-game.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
My usage of the word "mad" was meant as a postmodern and ironic deconstruction of the general act of criticising flaws in computer game worlds, because such worlds are merely elaborate theatre stages, and it is usually rather futile to criticise the stage rather than the play. And my specific intent was merely to point out that expecting too much from a Bethesda game world can sometimes lead to some degrees of disappointment and frustration.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sebastian Flyte posted:

My usage of the word "mad" was meant as a postmodern and ironic deconstruction of the general act of criticising flaws in computer game worlds, because such worlds are merely elaborate theatre stages, and it is usually rather futile to criticise the stage rather than the play. And my specific intent was merely to point out that expecting too much from a Bethesda game world can sometimes lead to some degrees of disappointment and frustration.

jfc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

:laffo:

On the off chance that your'e actually being serious and not just trolling (in which case trap sprung I guess) criticizing staging is absolutely something that is done in theater.

If your staging so actively contradicts the basic premise of the thing that you are doing that it distracts congrats, you done hosed up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i like deathclaws

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Not trolling or serious, just expressing boredom with endless discussions about things in Bethesda games that never changes.

I like bottlecap mines.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like that you can loot more caps from a detonated mine than the average character can sell the drat thing for

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Not trolling or serious, just expressing boredom with endless discussions about things in Bethesda games that never changes.

I like bottlecap mines.

Ok well other human beings generally understand the word "mad" to imply "this person is angry, a little babby throwing a tantrum getting all mad when they don't go their way and is incapable of understanding things any further" and your usage was 100% in line with that generally understood meaning, but when called on it, it turned out that you were in fact merely offering a nuanced take that was expressing... nothing but the above implication.

The product that Bethesda created is jarring enough that it regularly annoys the consumers of their product, please consider this me expressing boredom with other people expressing boredom because other people dare to discuss topics that they don't personally find interesting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i like that you can loot more caps from a detonated mine than the average character can sell the drat thing for

Well yeah, I mean sure they're in there but so's a bunch of explosives on a hair trigger. How you gonna get the caps out, Einstein?

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Have Piper set it off obviously.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Also, I like to take Jet in the rain.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I like crafting different ammo, something I thought for sure Beth would add to the newest Fallout but didn't.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Volkerball posted:

i like deathclaws

Deathclaws are something FO4 did well. They're legit scary, especially the first one you fight that just shrugs off minigun rounds.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
They did robots well too, higher end robots are some terrifying motherfuckers. Honestly they did a lot of enemy design well and made different types of nonhuman enemies feel very unique.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Watching assaultrons drag themselves towards you after you cripple their legs is still really unnerving for some reason. Those things are even more threatening than sentry bots for most of the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do like fighting Mirelurks and Deathclaws, but like everything lategame, I get annoyed that enemy health scaling outstrips your maximum damage with any given weapon, turning it into a battle of attrition. I also miss fighting a horde of deathclaws New Vegas style.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Oh hey, Todd.

I like Mirelurks. Too bad there wasn't a Shadow Over Innsmouth sort of questline with time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tweet my meat posted:

They did robots well too, higher end robots are some terrifying motherfuckers. Honestly they did a lot of enemy design well and made different types of nonhuman enemies feel very unique.

Most of the enemies are pretty good with the glarin exception of the feral ghouls. TBH, I don't even know why those are there other than to reuse Skyrim resources.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Liquid Communism posted:

Most of the enemies are pretty good with the glarin exception of the feral ghouls. TBH, I don't even know why those are there other than to reuse Skyrim resources.

My only problem with Ferals was their ubiquity. What was yours?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like the whole deal with synths. It's one of the few things Bethesda actually added to the universe and ran with it. Obviously Fallout 5 will Fallout: Escape from New York/Terminator.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

If the next fallout is set anywhere but the great basin, I'll be disappointed.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Bethesda still has an unknown game to be release this year, I wonder what it is. Maybe a Fallout-themed battle royale, to get that PUBG money

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

frajaq posted:

Bethesda still has an unknown game to be release this year, I wonder what it is. Maybe a Fallout-themed battle royale, to get that PUBG money

Please shut up, the monkey paw still has a great many fingers and we should still be careful what we say around it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
If the next Fallout game is made by Bethesda I'll be disappointed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Magmarashi posted:

Please shut up, the monkey paw still has a great many fingers and we should still be careful what we say around it.

Fortnite just did it and it's pretty good, I am loathe to admit.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Whether or not Bethesda continues to publish Fallout games depends on entirely on how badly FO4 damaged their reputation. I think that some percentage of people who bought FO4 on release, or who care about the modding scene, will probably not buy FO5 on release; whether or not that is a significant number or whether it outstrips people discovering Fallout for the first time is anybody's guess. The cynic in me says no, it'd still be a massive AAA release and probably make more money than FO4 did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fallout 4 has done nothing to damage their reputation. It was a gigantic financial success. Regardless of the game's quality, Fallout 4 is not going to be seen as a black eye for the franchise. The Creation Club, on the other hand, has way more potential to be damaging.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mendrian posted:

Whether or not Bethesda continues to publish Fallout games depends on entirely on how badly FO4 damaged their reputation. I think that some percentage of people who bought FO4 on release, or who care about the modding scene, will probably not buy FO5 on release; whether or not that is a significant number or whether it outstrips people discovering Fallout for the first time is anybody's guess. The cynic in me says no, it'd still be a massive AAA release and probably make more money than FO4 did.

I probably will because making GBS threads out easy cheat mods made me a grand, easily, just from donations alone.

But I haven't even played far harbor or updated WBO to include the DLCs because ugh the thought of actually playing Fallout 4 again just doesn't appeal to me much at all.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I probably will because making GBS threads out easy cheat mods made me a grand, easily, just from donations alone.

But I haven't even played far harbor or updated WBO to include the DLCs because ugh the thought of actually playing Fallout 4 again just doesn't appeal to me much at all.

This reminded me that I PM'd you back in December (?) asking what you thought of Nuka-World, and you said you hadn't gotten around to it and to contact you later. I promptly forgot about the whole thing.

Looks like I finally got my answer! :shepface:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The only way Betheada could move the license to another company is if:

1) FO5 is unbelievably bad (highly unlikely)

2)Another company gives them a pitch that they can't refuse.

In 2 it'd be more likely that they'd share the IP for X number of games and develop in parallel like they do for COD.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The only thing Bethesda needs to change about the Creation Club is the stupid LOL WE ARE GONNA MAKE YOU DOWNLOAD THE FILES ANYWAY bullshit.

Also hopefully never try to gently caress with mods in nexus or any other modding site really

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could see Bethesda possibly give out the fallout license again to expand the brand while they work on their new IP. That's what happened when they were working on Skyrim and we got New Vegas out of the deal.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Rinkles posted:

My only problem with Ferals was their ubiquity. What was yours?
The whole thing about the enemy being twitchy, taking cover and other poo poo is that the player character cannot

It's extremely irritating

also yeah, loving everywhere and they break the first BOS quest

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Father Wendigo posted:

Oh hey, Todd.

I like Mirelurks. Too bad there wasn't a Shadow Over Innsmouth sort of questline with time.

The Cabot House arc did a pretty good job of capturing Lovecraftian horror... except they porked themselves up the pooper by having the Emogene quest not work half the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh lord, I quicksaved towards the end as we were leaving the cult a half second before a vertibird crashed on our heads and killed her and the entire crowd, had to revert to the start.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm hoping we get another New Vegas out of 4's engine more than anyone, because you can actually see in a lot of the Goodneighbor and Far Harbor quests how detailed and varied quests can get, so someone like Obsidian taking that potential and running with it could be amazing. Still :laffo: at the guy who wondered if Fallout 4, the best selling Bethesda game of all time, damaged the brand. Like, you know you can buy tacky vault boy figurines and poo poo in the electronics section of supermarkets now right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Gynovore posted:

The Cabot House arc did a pretty good job of capturing Lovecraftian horror... except they porked themselves up the pooper by having the Emogene quest not work half the time.

Nah, Cabot's more of a "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" kinda vibe.

I'd rather have an overhaul of a coastal town Salem. There's plenty of odd jobs to do with ridiculous rewards, everyone's just delighted that you showed up when you did. Oops, someone out East reported a radstorm! Mandatory curfew at the hotel for all outsiders!

Resting for a few hours has your wake up bound to a mattress, with the the local mayor and a crew of the local muscle at the foot of your bed (... provided you didn't bar and block the door).

"Look, you've done a lot for the community, and we appreciate that. But you see... we have an agreement... with... them. Our town gets a warlord's ransom in meat in exchange for... specific meals for a very discerning pallet.. I really hope you understand."

You're hit with a tranq dart and thrown bound into the sewer to face a horde of baby mirelurks (... too bad you could stomp 'em) After killing all of them, you realize there's a handful of useable guns and limited ammo.

It's up to you to clear the dungeon, and then the town with what you have at your disposal if you want your gear back.

• Locked thread