Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I stick with Purity on Oldrim, not sure if it was ever ported. I generally stuck with mods that improved vanilla stuff without adding new variants, to keep down on compatibility patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It's me, one of the salty guys about SKSE! I wasn't the saltiest.

Here's to hoping SkyUI gets a quick update because my Super Storage menu is becoming unusably huge.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Before anyone gets too excited, remember that there already was an alpha SKSE64 release months ago.

This sounds complete, rather than proof of concept, but it might not actually go anywhere for a while.

If it does, and if all functions are accounted for... welp. These guys might be a little salty.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's okay because Legacy of the Dragonborn is garbage.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I have a few tips to offer to help you get that essential Skyrim experience bet still enable you to work on your backlog. Install the game,
Install the posh mudcrab mod, and start up a new game. Then take the following steps to ensure a complete Skyrim experience:

Spend no less than 15 minutes in character creation.

Put a bucket on the shopkeeper's head in Riverwood and steal everything not nailed down.

Go outside and look at a posh mudcrab.

Say out loud "Jesus Christ Arthmoor what were you thinking?!"

Steal a horse and climb vertically up a mountain.

Shout a goat off said mountain.

Ragdoll down the side of the mountain.

Close Skyrim and install a mod that puts tits on a mudcrab.

Go back to your backlog.
reading this actually worked as some kind of counter-spell and I feel okay now. I do need to get back in and play Wheels of Lull and Forgotten City and some other stuff some time though. Also I should probably buy Hearthfire so I can upgrade to the SE but everyone forgot Hearthfire and it never goes on sale even when the other original Skyrim parts do lol

Agents are GO! posted:

That's okay because Legacy of the Dragonborn is garbage.
I kind of want to try it for how insane it sounds

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like Legacy, but it's definitely the sort of thing you'd associate with a Dwarf Fortress dwarf creating after a strange mood overtakes them.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Sorry, bad question in bound

downloaded Mod Organizer 1.3.11

installed to Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\mod organizer

MO asks to be pointed to a game, I select "Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition"

MO says game exe and binary are not present (but they are).

I found a site that suggested changing file names, which didn't work.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

First stupid question: you are choosing the executable in the folder, and not the folder itself, right?

Second not-so-stupid question: are you on Windows 10? Because if you are, the recent DirectX9 update they did that fixed the longstanding 4GB bug also fixed a bunch of bugs that Mod Organizer exploited in order to work properly.

Edit: actually wait, third question: you aren't trying to run regular MO on Special Edition, aren't you? Because that's not gonna work; you'll need Mod Organizer 2, and that's buggy as gently caress, just to warn you.

NuclearPotato fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 12, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if MO doesn't work what are we supposed to use on Windows 10

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's pretty fun. if you liked the museum of artifacts in mournhold this is that with some quests attached. and for every 10 items you deliver you get a neat reward

it also allows you to go full on collector OCD and has museum slots for basically every unique item in the game.

that, and it autopatches itself to whichever other mods you have installed make it really cool. haters vacate

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

NuclearPotato posted:

First stupid question: you are choosing the executable in the folder, and not the folder itself, right?

Second not-so-stupid question: are you on Windows 10? Because if you are, the recent DirectX9 update they did that fixed the longstanding 4GB bug also fixed a bunch of bugs that Mod Organizer exploited in order to work properly.

Edit: actually wait, third question: you aren't trying to run regular MO on Special Edition, aren't you? Because that's not gonna work; you'll need Mod Organizer 2, and that's buggy as gently caress, just to warn you.

Ah, that sounds like the problem - I followed the link in the OP, so yeah MO 1.3.11 and I do have SE

I just want the basic bug fixes and stuff

:(

Dukket fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 12, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

I didn't think this update had actually happened. Isn't it part of the next Creator's Update? (Or did that already drop and I just haven't seen it yet?)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

The DirectX9 fix is part of the Win10 Fall Creator update and hasn't been released yet. It's only available as an insider preview build.
And last I heard, the issue that caused MO to stop working in the insider preview build was resolved. So yay for old school Microsoft devs who give a poo poo about backward compatibility.

Edit:

Agents are GO! posted:

Id actually like to go back and find the people who were being really loving :qq: salty about it but it's not really worth the effort. Especially the guy who was complaining about how the SKSE team wouldn't accept outside help.
My thing about that is that it seems the knowledge needed to work on something like SKSE64 - both deep programming knowledge and a deep familiarity with the Skyrim exe file - probably exists only in the brains of the people now working on SKSE64, and probably wouldn't be any easier to pass on than to finish themselves.
Yeah, developing the groundwork for something like the script extender takes some specialized knowledge and skills. It's stuff people could learn, but if the xSE dudes don't have the time to work on it then they sure as hell don't have the time to teach people.

In retrospect it's kind of sad how fast some people turned on the xSE team. But I guess part of the issue there is people have no real comprehension about what the Script Extenders are and how they work. Let alone what's involved in the development of it.
Apparently there are still people going about thinking it just unhides features those evil Bethesda devs hid. So you get people mailing the SKSE dudes with "I just did my baby's first Hello World tutorial, and I wanna help:downs:" thinking it's just a matter of flipping a TRUE/FALSE flag.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 12, 2017

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Raygereio posted:

The DirectX9 fix is part of the Win10 Fall Creator update and hasn't been released yet. it's only available as an insider preview build.
And last I heard, the issue that caused MO to stop working in the insider preview build was resolved. So yay for old school Microsoft devs who give a poo poo about backward compatibility.

Because it's a feature, dammit! :argh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I've always wondered why Bethesda didn't just give native script extender support / hooks. The team is obviously and technically cracking the .exe but Bethesda doesn't care, why not just program some better scripting hooks to let us do whatever?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mr. Crow posted:

Bethesda doesn't care

I think you just answered your own question, mate.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Why go through the effort when modders will anyways?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

it's pretty fun. if you liked the museum of artifacts in mournhold this is that with some quests attached. and for every 10 items you deliver you get a neat reward

it also allows you to go full on collector OCD and has museum slots for basically every unique item in the game.

that, and it autopatches itself to whichever other mods you have installed make it really cool. haters vacate

This sounds like everything I've ever wanted in one of these games. It's like the wall in the Lombard Station mod in New Vegas, only 100x better. I love sneaking around, I love looting, and I love collecting this loot. Skyrim's biggest crime, in my eyes, was a massive lack of cool loot.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

The team is obviously and technically cracking the .exe
The reason Bethesda doesn't stop the Script Extenders is because they're not doing that. Similar reverse engineering techniques are involved, but something like the script extender is not the same as a cracked executable.

Mr. Crow posted:

why not just program some better scripting hooks to let us do whatever?
I think we're going to "people not having any comprehension about what the Script Extenders are and how they work"-territory again.
If you're talking about adding new functions post-release: it's just not really feasibly for any company to take requests for new scripting functionality from modders and patch it in. Sure, anyone who's been modding games can point to one or more examples of a dev studio doing exactly that. But those examples are isolated cases and the exception to the rule. it's not something any company could do over an extended period of time. At some point patch support has to end and the devs have to move on to other projects.
If you're talking about supporting DLL injection and anyone with programming knowledge injecting their own code into that of the game, similarly to Script Extender plugins, then :psyduck:. For a company to support that would be crazy and a huge liability.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 12, 2017

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This sounds like everything I've ever wanted in one of these games. It's like the wall in the Lombard Station mod in New Vegas, only 100x better. I love sneaking around, I love looting, and I love collecting this loot. Skyrim's biggest crime, in my eyes, was a massive lack of cool loot.

yeah for all its bloat and groaning under its own mechanical weight, it adds a lot to the experience

there's even a room for all the "unique but worthless" quest poo poo like prison shivs and ancestral shields, which you can replicate for the racks once the job's done (and those all have unique models now because of course they do)

and yes it's like the weapon wall in Lombard Station, but there's a wall for all the artifacts and there's a wall for all the armors and there's a wall for all the daedric artifacts and there's a wall for all the gemstones and there's a wall for literally every fuckin book and treasure map and

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Biggest problem with Legacy is that it by default includes huge pieces of poo poo like Elsweyr. It has its own problems, but most of those could be ignored. Otherwise, there's nothing else to satisfy the completionist out there, and ignoring included mods, that it generally tons of mod added artifacts makes it a nice fixture long after you have even exhausted vanilla content.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Biggest problem with Legacy is that it by default includes huge pieces of poo poo like Elsweyr. It has its own problems, but most of those could be ignored. Otherwise, there's nothing else to satisfy the completionist out there, and ignoring included mods, that it generally tons of mod added artifacts makes it a nice fixture long after you have even exhausted vanilla content.

quote:

Differences from Skyrim Legendary Edition (Classic Skyrim)
Moonpath to Elsweyr removed
gods be praised

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Raygereio posted:

The reason Bethesda doesn't stop the Script Extenders is because they're not doing that. Similar reverse engineering techniques are involved, but something like the script extender is not the same as a cracked executable.

I think we're going to "people not having any comprehension about what the Script Extenders are and how they work"-territory again.
If you're talking about adding new functions post-release: it's just not really feasibly for any company to take requests for new scripting functionality from modders and patch it in. Sure, anyone who's been modding games can point to one or more examples of a dev studio doing exactly that. But those examples are isolated cases and the exception to the rule. it's not something any company could do over an extended period of time. At some point patch support has to end and the devs have to move on to other projects.
If you're talking about supporting DLL injection and anyone with programming knowledge injecting their own code into that of the game, similarly to Script Extender plugins, then :psyduck:. For a company to support that would be crazy and a huge liability.

Hi people have been using Python, LUA, etc to allow mostly arbitrary 3rd party script extension for decades, hth.

Also you just said that they're reverse engineering and decompiling the executable, that's cracking it. The difference is they're not releasing it to the public or otherwise trying to modify it, but that doesn't change what they're doing, or that is common knowledge (which they've admitted).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The difference, how-man-angels-can-dance-on-the-head-of-a-pin as it may be, is that the script extender alters the game at runtime rather than on the hard-drive. Guess that does make a difference.

Also, Bethesda totally has added functions into the basic scripting that were original Script Extender exclusive, it just generally happens between titles rather than adding on after release.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

Hi people have been using Python, LUA, etc to allow mostly arbitrary 3rd party script extension for decades, hth.
Also you just said that they're reverse engineering and decompiling the executable, that's cracking it.
I think we're talking about different things here? If you're referring to how for a lot of games you can write a new script and have the game's existing scripting engine run that, then that's not even remotely the same as adding new native scripting functionality via DLL injection. If you're talking about something else, then I'm not following you.

And cracking as a terms means circumventing or disabling the copy protection (really "features of the software you don't like", but generally it just refers to the copy protection). As far as I know, Skyrim only uses Steamworks as DRM. The executable isn't encrypted, nor has any DRM the xSE team would have to circumvent to find the memory adresses they need.
But even if they did, the important bit is the end result: xSE doesn't redistributed a modified executable, nor does it crack the DRM.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
People hate moonpath now?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

People hate moonpath now?

You can find people who hate everything. Why, I'll bet you could even find people who don't even like Skyrim at all.

Isn't Moonpath's major claim to fame that it was built before there were much in the way of modding tools for Skyrim? Because it's really impressive by that standard even if I find it a little tedious to actually play. Like, not awful, just not amazing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Moonpath is gorgeous and was super impressive at the time but isn't really any fun to play

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Moonpath is gorgeous and was super impressive at the time but isn't really any fun to play
^
it still looks great but gets real grindy and doesn't properly reward you for doing anything

plus khajiit are objectively the worst race, their way of talking is extremely grating

meyers-briggs testicle had to write a bunch of khajiit dialogue for morrowind and meyers-briggs testicle wanted to off himself

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
:frogout:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Raygereio posted:

I think we're talking about different things here? If you're referring to how for a lot of games you can write a new script and have the game's existing scripting engine run that, then that's not even remotely the same as adding new native scripting functionality via DLL injection. If you're talking about something else, then I'm not following you.

And cracking as a terms means circumventing or disabling the copy protection (really "features of the software you don't like", but generally it just refers to the copy protection). As far as I know, Skyrim only uses Steamworks as DRM. The executable isn't encrypted, nor has any DRM the xSE team would have to circumvent to find the memory adresses they need.
But even if they did, the important bit is the end result: xSE doesn't redistributed a modified executable, nor does it crack the DRM.

I'm confused now on what you're arguing and what you think I'm arguing.

All I'm saying is it would be cool if they used an actual programming language vs papyrus and whatever previous iterations were called and exposed an actual flexible API for it. Elder Scrolls Online has waaaaaay better scripting support including SKSE and it's both an MMO and by the same production company... https://wiki.esoui.com/API

There is no reason for them not to (have better APIs and language support) other than sheer laziness which we've already covered. There is no DRM/security angle involved as they already don't care and don't do anything about it as we've said.

I remember there being an article where a dev actually talked about why they chose to create papyrus vs. just use LUA and it was almost exclusively performance but I can't find it or remember if there were any actual benchmarks, anyone got a link?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i wonder how much of skyrims computing overhead is used by the physics engine

I can run 1203812038 shaders at 4k 60 fps loading 8 surrounding cells in morrowind with openmw but skyrim quickly grinds to a halt

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

plus khajiit are objectively the worst race, their way of talking is extremely grating

Counterpoint: Inigo (who, granted, doesn't actually talk with the accent :v:)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Not emptyquotin'

Edit:

Mr. Crow posted:

All I'm saying is it would be cool if they used an actual programming language vs papyrus and whatever previous iterations were called and exposed an actual flexible API for it. Elder Scrolls Online has waaaaaay better scripting support including SKSE and it's both an MMO and by the same production company... https://wiki.esoui.com/API

There is no reason for them not to (have better APIs and language support) other than sheer laziness which we've already covered. There is no DRM/security angle involved as they already don't care and don't do anything about it as we've said.

ESO is the same publisher, but a different developer.

The thing is, we've established that Bethesda is lazy as gently caress, it has been established for nigh-on two decades now. There's really no excuse for being upset by it now.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 14, 2017

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

Counterpoint: Inigo (who, granted, doesn't actually talk with the accent :v:)

inigo is the best follower I've ever seen in a TES or FO game. and I haven't even started his quest.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

pmchem posted:

inigo is the best follower I've ever seen in a TES or FO game. and I haven't even started his quest.

The fact that he's not a fetish object automatically puts him in top 5 mod companions of all time across all games.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Kharjo is real, and strong, and he's my friend.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

pmchem posted:

That's a weird way to spell Brhuce Hammar. :colbert:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think the one stand-out khajiit I can even remember was from interesting NPCs. fa'nar suffers a bit from body dysmorphia, seeing as how he's the only cat in known history to become a giant slab of muscle instead of a string-thin meth ninja

he even recites a story from his youth where he tried to put an end to his being a chunky kid by working at a sawmill, but was just confused when the backbreaking labor only made him bigger instead. he rolled with it and is more at home pretending to be a nord with big steel and big hammers now, incl. dropping that talking in third person poo poo.
it might just resonate with me because my first character concept in skyrim was basically "no cat what are you doing", a max-weight tiger dude sneaking around in full plate and heavy weapons

but eh, inigo still owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I've just dug Skyrim out of the box again, and I'm using Mod Organiser for the first time. I'm trying to get DynDOLOD to work with SFO, but its just not playing ball

Here's my current MO order

I've watched the GamerPoets youtube vid so much I've come to hate the poor presenters voice, but even when I strip it back to just Indistinguishable Vanilla Tree Billboards, it still doesnt look right.