Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

Remember when It used Audra to lure Bill to his lair? Total damsel in distress. :buddy:

She kinda was because she didn't do anything else but show up in town and get kidnapped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Remember when It used Audra to lure Bill to his lair? Total damsel in distress. :buddy:

... Yes? I'm not sure if you're trying for an ice burn here but that is in fact exactly what happened there in the book. Whatever you say about Bev in the movie, Audra in the book is basically a non-character.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

... Yes? I'm not sure if you're trying for an ice burn here but that is in fact exactly what happened there in the book. Whatever you say about Bev in the movie, Audra in the book is basically a non-character.

Kinda like Mike was in the movie :bang:

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I think this was probably the best possible film you could make out of the source material. The fact that it was only "pretty solid" speaks more to the unfilmable nature of King stories than anything else.

Although I wish we could move on from feeling like literally every scary moment in movies needs THE MOST BOMBASTIC AUDIO to let you know you are supposed to be scared.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ComposerGuy posted:

Although I wish we could move on from feeling like literally every scary moment in movies needs THE MOST BOMBASTIC AUDIO to let you know you are supposed to be scared.

I imagine the result of this would be like how funny tv shows suddenly get a lot less funny once you remove the laugh track.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

MisterBibs posted:

I imagine the result of this would be like how funny tv shows suddenly get a lot less funny once you remove the laugh track.

It isn't scary as is though. Its "startling", which isn't the same thing. Startling wears off 3 seconds afterwards.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ComposerGuy posted:

I think this was probably the best possible film you could make out of the source material. The fact that it was only "pretty solid" speaks more to the unfilmable nature of King stories than anything else.

Yeah this is pretty much my thoughts on it. IT is an absurdly difficult book to translate to other mediums. The movie is definitely flawed in not insignificant ways, but most of the flaws I can excuse as them trying to hit major story beats, establish a group of characters while trying not to short shrift anyone (Sorry Mike), and fit it all into 2 1/2 hours.

One change I think they could've made to free up some screen time is focus less on Georgie/Bill.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
The kid from Stranger Things was so great. Probably the highlight of the movie

Where was all the violence though? Movie didn't need to be rated r at all. I expected more graphic violence/gore with the way people were going on about it

Decent movie though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's definitely not as violent as it could've been or as violent as the book, but the opening scene alone definitely Goes There in a way most mainstream horror movies don't these days.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

The kid from Stranger Things was so great. Probably the highlight of the movie

Where was all the violence though? Movie didn't need to be rated r at all. I expected more graphic violence/gore with the way people were going on about it

Decent movie though

I haven't paid attention to movie ratings in 20 years so maybe things have changed, but on what planet is this movie not a solid R rating? I'm pretty sure having "gently caress" more than once or twice will get you an R, nevermind literally ripping the arm off a six year old

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Also the pedophilia and sexual abuse

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

And the dismembered torso of a teen girl hanging in a closet.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
And the sexy clowns

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Just because something's rated R doesn't mean it has a quota to fill. R let them do more that they wanted to do, even if they didn't choose to do everything they could.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not-Georgie getting the captive bolt was pretty shocking too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Even if the film had been completely bloodless, I'm pretty sure Richie's dialogue alone would give it a pretty solid R. Like, good lord, kid talks like a loving Tarantino movie.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That was cool and good

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That was cool and good

Not enough love for that scene ITT. It lingered just long enough to make me think that maybe IT had un-floated Georgie and that was the real kid. Any real thought to it put that notion away, but there was also that IT-Georgie having a missing arm was entirely to misdirect the audience. No one else but IT knew that Georgie got his arm ate off.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Should have flipped a coin and asked him to call it friendo.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

You know thinking back I don't think you see Pennywise kill anyone on screen

Georgie, whilst armless was still alive technically until he was eaten

And the dirty hippy with long hair was killed just as the camera cut away

I'm not expecting saw here, but I need my bloodlust quenched!

How does the Tim Curry version hold up btw? Haven't seen it in years

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Curry is great. Nearly everything else is poo poo. Literally no one would have fond memories of that movie if not for Curry's portrayal of Pennywise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WHY IS IT SO MEAN!!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Even in the book, through the whole thing, I think you only "see" Pennywise kill like four people total: Georgie, Patrick, Eddie Corcoran, and Eddie Kasparak as an adult

Oh I guess Adrian Mellon too although that's relayed after the fact in the police interviews. I'm not counting him picking people off at The Black Spot

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 12, 2017

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I haven't read the book but I thought of it like a scam artist killing someone they are trying to steal money from. Of course you could kill your mark but that's sort of counter productive.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

How does the Tim Curry version hold up btw? Haven't seen it in years

It's very dated and bad, Curry is decent and I think the well house in that is a lot scarier/intimidating than the faux looking haunted house in the middle of the town in this new one.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I may not be remembering it correctly, but I thought in the mini-series, It's powers are better defined. There is a clear distinction between scenes where It is just screwing with the kids and trying to scare them, and moments where the kids are in actual mortal danger. In the mini-series you are safe as long as you avoid the sewers, whereas in this movie Pennywise can go anywhere and do anything pretty much.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Simplex posted:

I may not be remembering it correctly, but I thought in the mini-series, It's powers are better defined. There is a clear distinction between scenes where It is just screwing with the kids and trying to scare them, and moments where the kids are in actual mortal danger. In the mini-series you are safe as long as you avoid the sewers, whereas in this movie Pennywise can go anywhere and do anything pretty much.

No, in the mini Pennywise can go anywhere to kill (It kills the guard at the asylum to free Bowers). It just likes loving with the Losers.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

T Bowl posted:

It's very dated and bad, Curry is decent and I think the well house in that is a lot scarier/intimidating than the faux looking haunted house in the middle of the town in this new one.

I always wondered what that building was supposed to be. It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in real life

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Kevyn posted:

I always wondered what that building was supposed to be. It doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in real life

It's a water pump station

I kinda wanna see Pennywise eat someones face, like with Stan but take a big ol bite

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The thing that bugs me about Bev's kidnapping is really that the Losers are broken up in the first place. They're brought together by this mysterious force and make this mysterious force together, and their combined love and fear leads them to fight Pennywise, who is bewildered that these kids are coming for him even though they're still scared of him. Then when they grow up it's doubtful whether they can recreate that power, being old and drifted apart and one guy short.

I get that idiot studio boss was like "nooo movies work like *this*" and dusted off a stupid old cliché, but I feel the movie would've worked just fine without it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kevyn posted:

I was driving up to Vermont last year through a quaint, quiet, idyllic town. I had to pull over and stop when I saw this building square in the middle of town:

Located across the street from a graveyard, smack dab in a nice residential area. It's an old inn, but it reminds me a lot of how out of place the house in It was.

e: It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a direct inspiration. Here's some more info and pictures if anyone is curious, and Google Maps Street View.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 12, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

feedmyleg posted:

I was driving up to Vermont last year through a quaint, quiet, idyllic town. I had to pull over and stop when I saw this building square in the middle of town:

Located across the street from a graveyard, smack dab in a nice residential area. It's an old inn, but it reminds me a lot of how out of place the house in It was.

America needs more of these, that is my campaign promise

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Make America Spooky Again

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

WHY IS IT SO MEAN!!!

drat IT BEV IS THAT THE CLOWN IN THERE OR YOU?!

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

feedmyleg posted:

e: It wouldn't surprise me at all if it were a direct inspiration. Here's some more info and pictures if anyone is curious, and Google Maps Street View.

You can see a lot of stuff like this if you take a slave quarter / plantation tour in South Carolina. There are some folks who want to keep the Antebellum "prestige" intact. Then there are dilapidated monstrosities of Spanish moss and lord knows how many venomous things lurking inside.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this adaptation shifted to a town like Summerville then the Mike stuff might play better. That's a place in the '80s where the slaughter house outsourcing and "You don't belong in our town" was still active on into when I lived there in the mid-'90s. I know, book fidelity and blah blah blah, but I also don't want to discount the power of having these kinds of lurking menaces in the supposedly more enlightened north. Overall it's for the best it stayed with Derry but the mind wanders on possibilities.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's definitely not as violent as it could've been or as violent as the book, but the opening scene alone definitely Goes There in a way most mainstream horror movies don't these days.

I wish the rest had kept up, that weeping was so great.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BJPaskoff posted:

Not enough love for that scene ITT. It lingered just long enough to make me think that maybe IT had un-floated Georgie and that was the real kid. Any real thought to it put that notion away, but there was also that IT-Georgie having a missing arm was entirely to misdirect the audience. No one else but IT knew that Georgie got his arm ate off.

The fake Georgie calls the boat "It" and Bill corrects to "she."

Book spoilers:
Which if you want to stretch things could be foreshadowing that It is feminine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wish the rest had kept up, that weeping was so great.

I kinda think all the drooling was a bit much but that's just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I kinda think all the drooling was a bit much but that's just me

He could've been a little more appealing, I think it was a mistake to leave him as overtly scary as he was. I love the sudden weirdness in King's prose when it's simply described as "there was a clown in the drain" and the thudding juxtaposition almost makes sense in a kid way - sure, of course the clown got blown into the drain, it's so windy! On the other hand I kinda like the sense of being in between perspectives as viewers, so we see both the freakish reality and are given the privilege of understanding it's charming, hypnotic aspects (this would've been kinda fun in 3D - one side fades a little into monstrousness so you have the clown and the demon overlapping).

• Locked thread