Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/
https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

it'll only work for white defendants, though

(I feel like I should explain this is a joke about how facial recognition tech does poorly with non-white people)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this doesn't matter if you're not doing anything wrong!!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

brutal

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prices look like what i thought they will be

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i thought they added that feature where if you quintuple-click the power button it would hard-lock the phone? or did I dream that?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah i didnt get as owned as you guys did, but still. it will probably end up being 11k nok for base x model in latvia after vat/shipping adjustments

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

at least norwegian apple store already has poo poo in it, latvian is a surprising afterthought

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rex-Goliath posted:

i thought they added that feature where if you quintuple-click the power button it would hard-lock the phone? or did I dream that?

that disables touchid and requires the pin

since it only unlocks with faceid that likely won't work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

and where is new airpods charging case?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Rex-Goliath posted:

nah, they did, but that'd require you to go and press that, which depending on how poo poo goes down you may not get to do it

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Stymie posted:

when did they say there's no pins on the x

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

just use your oil money nbd

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they can do this now with fingerprints. that's why they added the push button 5 times to require a passcode

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Law enforcement in the US could already use their fingerprints to unlock your phone so this doesn't change much :(

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Celery Jello posted:

when they announced there was no home button

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Celery Jello posted:

there definitely is pin unlock, when the face id demo failed that what it went to

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

when they announced there was no home button

you swipe up, then face id

if no face, then pin

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

looks like yet another excellent year to own an SE

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Stymie posted:

The PIN only screen came up when demoing the phone and they had to go to a backup.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Celery Jello posted:

nah, they did, but that'd require you to go and press that, which depending on how poo poo goes down you may not get to do it

then don't use it - he even said it won't work for identical (evil) twins so they need to use pass codes

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
faceid looks like a total pain in the rear end

e: i dont care if it works 100% of the time i dont want to raise my loving phone or tilt my head or whatever gently caress that noise

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

thegreatcodfish posted:

The PIN only screen came up when demoing the phone and they had to go to a backup.

when using touchid it doesn't bring up a pin code thing until touchid fails, but if you don't have it on at all it goes to passcode by default

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh hey it's the annual waaaah things are slightly more expensive in my country with free college and healthcare and a 17-20% tax on everything

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

but you can pretend to be poo emoji

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

then don't use it - he even said it won't work for identical (evil) twins so they need to use pass codes

i can pretty much 100% guarantee it does, because unless they erred so far on the side of caution that it will pretty much never work for actual users, it would have to

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Celery Jello posted:

I guess they could react to visible distress by passcode locking the phone and calling 911 or something

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
remember how touchid barely worked but only if you were a lily white programmer with baby soft skin?

now apply that same logic to your face and imagine people waving their phones in front of their faces until it decides enough time has elapsed and it unlocks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i can pretty much 100% guarantee it does, because unless they erred so far on the side of caution that it will pretty much never work for actual users, it would have to

..it won't work for identical twins meaning it does not work as a security feature preventing one twin from accessing the other's phone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

oh hey it's the annual waaaah things are slightly more expensive in my country with free college and healthcare and a 17-20% tax on everything

are you surprised

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i imagine the go-to for cops when looking to unlock an iphonx, if not the headlock and pryed open eyes, will be a xanax dissolved in the coffee so they can hold your phone up to your face while you're nodding but not quite unconscious yet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

do current iphones have a silent mode button???

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

qirex posted:

Actually i think the 50% price hike is mostly apples big fat middle finger response to government regulated mandatory 5 year warranties for consumer electronics

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
they did say it requires your attention so the solution to getting arrested and having your phone pointed at your face is to close your eyes, or to look away from the phone. works for me, wont fix, not a bug, ticket closed

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

e: i dont care if it works 100% of the time i dont want to raise my loving phone or tilt my head or whatever gently caress that noise

oh no i have to look at my phone to unlock it so i can look at it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

r u ready to WALK posted:

Actually i think the 50% price hike is mostly apples big fat middle finger response to government regulated mandatory 5 year warranties for consumer electronics

does it include 5 years of AppleCare equivalent? not half bad if so

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think the more natural defense for the cops using your face to unlock the phone is that it won't work once they've given you a black eye, crushed cheekbone or broken nose

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Bobby Digital posted:

oh no i have to look at my phone to unlock it so i can look at it

if you're using it while leaving it sitting on a desk, say to use one of those "quick reply to text" things without much effort, having to lean the phone and/or yourself to open it is less convenient than just being able to poke at buttons while glancing at it

I realize this is the epitome of first world problems but it's not nothing

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Celery Jello posted:

if you're using it while leaving it sitting on a desk, say to use one of those "quick reply to text" things without much effort, having to lean the phone and/or yourself to open it is less convenient than just being able to poke at buttons while glancing at it

I realize this is the epitome of first world problems but it's not nothing

type in your password lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

does it include 5 years of AppleCare equivalent? not half bad if so

aye. overall thinking about getting iphone x, especially if i cant get a nice wallet case for it that is compatible with air:911:power

• Locked thread