Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Yardbomb posted:

I really hate this. People gave the Tau a bunch of flak for being ~anime~ and whatever but man, they had a really good feel until GW started pulling stupid "Noooo, the ethereals are actually sinister cartoon villains" stuff. This exchange still lands perfectly on what I like(d) so much about them. They were the guys willing to give you chances to just stop the fighting and save lives or try to talk you down even in the face of space marine craziness, Shas'O Kais was a cool dude.

Also that super deep cut right before the last segment. :allears:

Also also I'm only kind of sorry for keeping the Warham talk going.

But... They can't even fight in melee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Playstation 4 posted:

But... They can't even fight in melee!

Also they're disgusting, blue, hoofed, insect people. :barf:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hey buddy, the insect people are the vespid and are valuable members of the empire nonetheless :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MariusLecter posted:

Also they're disgusting, blue, hoofed, insect people. :barf:

So says the slave to the free man :smuggo:.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
Before hams chat ends I wanna bring up Michael Moorcock, because dude got ripped off about as hard as 2000AD did. (And his politics are similarly at odds with where 40K wound up going). It's mostly in Warhammer Fantasy rather than 40K, with the overal doom and ruins vibe, as well as the High Elves being straight up Melnibonéans from the Elric novels.

But the big one, Chaos, carried over to 40K. The name, the symbol, the mutations, a lot of the trappings are straight out of Moorcock's books. Now, I think early on the Warhammer Fantasy background did mention Law, but they quickly ignored that side of the equation and just treated Chaos as a cooler name for Evil. Which does a lot to make the Imperium look like the good guys, while Moorcock used fascism as an example of why Law can also be bad.

Anyway I think 40K is (mostly) cool in small pieces. Like a couple pages of flavour text, or John Blanche drawing weird creepy poo poo. But trying to worldbuild the imagery and the references into a coherent setting is pretty much gonna be nerdy in the worst ways.

Speaking of, they recently did a soft reboot of the Space Marines, who are far and away the most popular faction. In-universe they're now being supplemented/replaced by new super-Space Marines. So this was the perfect excuse to finally get rid of the "no girls allowed" clause they wrote into the Space Marine background like fifteen years ago. But nope, gotta stay true to the arbitrary rules of the fiction we're currently overhauling to sell more models.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Horse in Tears posted:

Speaking of, they recently did a soft reboot of the Space Marines, who are far and away the most popular faction. In-universe they're now being supplemented/replaced by new super-Space Marines. So this was the perfect excuse to finally get rid of the "no girls allowed" clause they wrote into the Space Marine background like fifteen years ago. But nope, gotta stay true to the arbitrary rules of the fiction we're currently overhauling to sell more models.

As rough a shape as they've been in, Sisters of Battle are still kicking at least.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So says the slave to the free man :smuggo:.

Orks aint no one's slaves ya short squishy blue boy. :orks101:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

As rough a shape as they've been in, Sisters of Battle are still kicking at least.

I'm hoping all the 8th edition revamp stuff brings them back in a major way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like that the main setting of Warhammer Fantasy is based on the Holy Roman Empire instead of generic Kingdom.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

In terms of our usual derails, Warhammer is probably the most fun and interesting. I say carry on until someone posts some critic-related discussion fodder. (That isn't just more "Hey internet critic turns out to be an rear end in a top hat," because those discussions are short and boring anyway.)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm not really familiar with Warhammer but I looked up stuff about the Orks and they seem like the most fun fantasy race ever created

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

echopapa posted:

In non-racist Internet entertainment, here’s Episode 3 of Song Crimes, featuring the Fresh Prince, Heart, and Johnny Cash in family court.

Just listened to episode two and I laughed at your ruling on Hagar's I Can't Drive 55. I didn't post about it before but your podcast reminded me of an mtv show that did this years ago, and they had judge Mills Lane I think who gave Hagar the death penalty for this same song :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm not really familiar with Warhammer aside from Games Workshop being a bunch of assholes so I just remained quiet as usual.

Also I'm garbage with no personality besides what popular brands I enjoy anyway so it's not like that's a loss.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Orks eat everything. They'll usually just kill non combatant humies for being weak and throw a nice barbecue, but raising them specifically as food is just cruel and un orky. Orks aren't a race that really "gets" torture in the same manner humans do, so when they do something like create livestock it feels really out of character for them.

I forgot where it was but I love one bit of fluff where some Ork Freeboota was talking to servants of the Inquisition and they explained how they torture heretics for information and all and the Ork was just all 'haha you guys are fuckin dumb just kill them and keep killing them until their boss gets so angry he comes out to fight you, then not only do you find him but then he's all horned up and mad so he's fighting like an idiot'. Like, it was just such a great moment of 'so are Orkz secretly really smart or something?'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lol pewdiepie put out an apology video.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
What I remember about Warhammer Orks is that they're some kinda fungus, and that there was a backlash when one of the writers had a big Ork cheap-shot kill some human character that was popular with edge lords. I can't remember if it was Fantasy or 40k, but I remember it pissing off a lot of fans.

Also this thread reminded me that a friend of mine gifted me Vermintide, so I booted that up last night. drat that game is fun!

Edit: Is it an apology video , or an "apology" video like the last one?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i am tim! posted:

What I remember about Warhammer Orks is that they're some kinda fungus, and that there was a backlash when one of the writers had a big Ork cheap-shot kill some human character that was popular with edge lords. I can't remember if it was Fantasy or 40k, but I remember it pissing off a lot of fans.

Also this thread reminded me that a friend of mine gifted me Vermintide, so I booted that up last night. drat that game is fun!

Edit: Is it an apology video , or an "apology" video like the last one?

I have no idea I'm not watching his content ever

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Im sure the phrase "I was in a heated moment" will be said a few times.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Im sure the phrase "I was in a heated moment" will be said a few times.

It was. At least this time he actually apologized for the word, acknowledged that it was wrong, and that he stooped to a low level as he claims he doesn't agree when other people do things like that. As opposed to his last stint where he tried to turn it around about how he was being targeted by the illuminati and that was his way of pushing back.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Can't we just hack youtubers and delete their accounts? I'm sure some darknet guys will do it as long as the price is good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

i am tim! posted:

You're thinking of Storm of Chaos Warhammer fantasy. The event was a global campaign where games workshop wrote the story to correspond with victories mailed in by players. Was supposed to be a major Chaos invasion by Archaeon the Everchosen, except that the chaos players got soundly defeated. Games workshop decided to even the odds by assuming orc players would side with chaos, but orc players are like orcs, so they said screw it, organized themselves online and started stacking victories against chaos. So with the whole campaign being a dud Games workshop said screw it, teleported Archaeon to Altdorf to have a final battle with the empire... only for Grimgor Ironhide the orc warlord to come and sucker punch Archaeon before he could strike a killing blow. The orcs then declared themselves the victors for this dick punch and then ran off laughing.

Something similar happened in the 40k Eye of terror global campaign where the ork players organized online and launched an unofficial Green Kroosade which mopped the floor with Space Marine and Chaos players.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Arcsquad12 posted:

You're thinking of Storm of Chaos Warhammer fantasy. The event was a global campaign where games workshop wrote the story to correspond with victories mailed in by players. Was supposed to be a major Chaos invasion by Archaeon the Everchosen, except that the chaos players got soundly defeated. Games workshop decided to even the odds by assuming orc players would side with chaos, but orc players are like orcs, so they said screw it, organized themselves online and started stacking victories against chaos. So with the whole campaign being a dud Games workshop said screw it, teleported Archaeon to Altdorf to have a final battle with the empire... only for Grimgor Ironhide the orc warlord to come and sucker punch Archaeon before he could strike a killing blow. The orcs then declared themselves the victors for this dick punch and then ran off laughing.

Something similar happened in the 40k Eye of terror global campaign where the ork players organized online and launched an unofficial Green Kroosade which mopped the floor with Space Marine and Chaos players.

Sucker 'eadbutt! :eng101:

Grimgor wuz da best :911:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It turns out when you take a fun, unique faction with a devoted fanbase, and try and staple it to the designated antagonists as sidekicks, players aren't happy with that. Who knew?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

wait wait wait hold up

are you telling me that games played by fans actually have an impact on the greater narrative of the setting?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wait wait wait hold up

are you telling me that games played by fans actually have an impact on the greater narrative of the setting?

Kinda sorta, depended on the campaign.

A lot of the time GW would just shrug and hash out "Oh the evil guys won but the good guys held on and everything's back to status quo" which naturally pissed people off, so instead they started going for smaller scale campaign settings (Medusa V, Nemesis Crown) that people were indifferent about and just dropped the entire thing for a few years.

Recently they brought the concept back with last Summer's 'Season of War' and the literally just ended 'Fate of Konor'. Both times the good guys won, but GW seems to keeping good with keeping the full results in mind as they write the updated narrative (i.e for Season of War, good guys won with Chaos a very close second, so the good guys have established 3 new strongholds and pushed Chaos back in that particular realm, but said cities are full of cults and poo poo's about to go down again).

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wait wait wait hold up

They used to, but they stopped when the campaigns they ran started going against what they wanted to write in lore, plus it was getting harder and harder to verify that the games being sent in were legit. Almost all of the big ones got railroaded (e.g. chaos kept making gains in SOC even though they were getting routinely stomped in the game stats) and the last ones were so minor that they would have no effect whatsoever on greater lore (and Medusa V was still railroaded so the space marines got a win).

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wait wait wait hold up

Happens more often than you might think! Shadowrun has done it for quite some time (the last 3 editions at least of the top of my head!), Pathfinder Society does it now with their system/world and I'm pretty sure Living Greyhawk did it back with 3rd Ed D&D.

Returning to Warhammer - It wouldn't surprise me if Blood Bowl champions/lore were/are affected by player input.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So many stories about the Legend of the Five Rings story getting hijacked by card game tournaments.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

KayTee posted:

Happens more often than you might think! Shadowrun has done it for quite some time (the last 3 editions at least of the top of my head!), Pathfinder Society does it now with their system/world and I'm pretty sure Living Greyhawk did it back with 3rd Ed D&D.

Legend of the Five Rings also used tournaments to determine which clans were on top in the lore of the fiction. Not sure how that's going to carry over now that we're getting a new "LCG" version of the game from Fantasy Flight (beyond there still being tournaments where white guys chant "Utz! Banzai!" in an attempt to make their opponents cringe themselves to death)

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my god, I love Warhammer, but this derail is physically painful.

Since Handbook for Mortals has been so big lately, it's fitting to bring up Best of the Worst's recent video on The Last Vampire on Earth. It's arguably even worse, although the lead guy is the quintessential bootleg Edward Cullen.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 12, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Much as I'm enjoying this derail, again, I'll just say that we'd be better off talking about this over in the Black Library thread.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dragonatrix posted:

So, Night Mind finally finished his latest thing that he's been teasing for ages... a sort of CYOA-y tutorial for how to make a ~scary youtube video series~.

While I like the idea, given his very questionable taste and how he seems to like almost everything, just because it exists basically, I'm not sure how good an idea it actually was and how useful it would be. To say nothing of how I'm sure that by now anyone who cares wouldn't need something this extensive and long to make something that is basically going to be the same thing as everyone else that does it.

Had all the videos on in the background at work, and his heart is in the right place. His advice and inspiration examples aren't the most novel things, and he rambles a bit at times which kinda buries the point, but his base advice (so far) is okay. All of this paths are still at the "coming up with a concept/base" more so than the actual nuts and bolts of creation, but his points right now are:

- Try and do something original
- (in most cases) Frame the story in something we'd actually expect to see online (i.e. why is this on youtube)
- Build an actual full idea/reveal instead of "creepy poo poo happens to characters, we'll figure out why later"
- Give the audience a reason to care with characters, even if the "character" is the shady sinister enemy
- Make the characters "real" (i.e. normalish acting people) and give them motivations
- Please, no more edgelord stringing together random clips pretending you're a serial killer
- Don't just rip off another ARG
- Okay, if you're going to do that, at least just rip off the underlying feeling and themes, not the actual characters
- Alright fine, if you insist, at least make the characters do something different

I mean, it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's reasonable so far. It's all in the idea stage more than the craft stage, however. His CYOA style kinda muddles things more than they need to be - most of the points apply to whatever "path" he talks about.

But hey, I look at it this way - maybe it'll inspire 10,000 people to embark on making their own ARG. 1,000 of them will actually make anything at all. Maybe 100 of them will make it to YouTube in any appreciable format. And hey, if we get even one or two that's kinda cool, that's a win; I'll rely on Night Mind to talk them up and tell me how awesome they are and never actually watch them to shatter that illusion.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Posted a short video on basic film editing, using the fourth episode of Yu Yu Hakusho as my case study.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Yay one of my favorite series is back!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Leal posted:

It was. At least this time he actually apologized for the word, acknowledged that it was wrong, and that he stooped to a low level as he claims he doesn't agree when other people do things like that. As opposed to his last stint where he tried to turn it around about how he was being targeted by the illuminati and that was his way of pushing back.

Problem being, the fact that he used the word in this context implies that he's done it before in private. I scream up a storm whenever I play Battlefield 1, but racial or homophobic slurs never slips out, because they're not part of my casual vocabulary.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Problem being, the fact that he used the word in this context implies that he's done it before in private. I scream up a storm whenever I play Battlefield 1, but racial or homophobic slurs never slips out, because they're not part of my casual vocabulary.

Personally I think it also depends on where one's from. When English isn't your primary language, it makes it easier to say things like that because it doesn't really carry the same weight to you as would saying a slur in your own language.

God knows I've done plenty of calling people when playing (and losing) video games words like that, or the usual gay-human being-retard stuff. If anything really influenced me to pick those words, I'd say it was either the already existent internet culture or movies. I never used those words in my mothertongue either online or offline.

Still, I won't disagree with PDP needing to learn how to control himself better.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Fun fact: I'm just as Swedish as PDP is!

If I ccan avoid it, he can as well. At least he apologized, and that I will not fault him for.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So uh, unrelated to PDP drama, when the hell did Brad Jones go fully bald? I lost track of him for a while, but I remember him having a decent head of hair when I used to follow Cinema Snob regularly, and now he's gone Full Luthor.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Brad's been bald for a while now, his hair was starting to thin up front even back in the early Cinema Snob days, so at some point they just got it over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
It was several years ago. Maybe 2014?

• Locked thread