Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Daddy Githyanki feat. Justin Biebarbarian - Geaspacito

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday
I've been playing an Eladrin arcane trickster/bladesinger using the Eladrin race from the DMG. After eading that UA, loving lol if I'm gonna roll for more personalities. Also being a multiclassed spellcaster I already have all the cantrips I want anyway. Pretty lame

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's sort of sad how boring the Gith are there. I'm disappointed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would add in a box for Proficiency Bonus, probably near the ability score modifiers, since most rolls are ability score modifier + proficiency bonus.

Unrelated, but I like this style of character sheet for showing off various stat relationships and derivations:

If someone handed me this in high school I would've never played 3e.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lurdiak posted:

If someone handed me this in high school I would've never played 3e.

The system works!

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Man I hope we never get other Planescape species if that's how boring they are going to be.

Why did they even go for "lich Queen" instead of the historical philosophical split after the rebellion against the Illithid empire? That poo poo was great and tied into the whole "kinda psychic-resistant" thing. Actually why the gently caress do they not have Resistance to psychic damage, now that that's a thing?

Also Githyanki no longer build fortresses on the Astral remains of dead gods, 0/10.

Edit: I checked the Monster manual and all the philosophical split stuff is still there, Githyanki and are even more xenophobic than ever to justify being evil I guess. The lich-queen thing I forgot about, my bad.

Ambi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 12, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If you're a Land Druid, and ain't nobody in your party want to ever stand next to an enemy like absolutely nobody can take a punch, what's the best .25 cr animal to be at level 3 since wolf can't ever, ever, ever get his bonus advantage to work? I've been using axe beak since it's more hit points and why not be a dumb ostrich if I'm afraid of dying?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Krinkle posted:

If you're a Land Druid, and ain't nobody in your party want to ever stand next to an enemy like absolutely nobody can take a punch, what's the best .25 cr animal to be at level 3 since wolf can't ever, ever, ever get his bonus advantage to work? I've been using axe beak since it's more hit points and why not be a dumb ostrich if I'm afraid of dying?

If you're a Land Druid then heavy armor + shield + quarterstaff w/ shillelagh. Turning into animals is for recreation not combat.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The PHB literally says druids can't wear metal anything.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Giant poisonous snakes have +6 to hit, reach, and do an extra 3d6 poison damage (save for half) on a successful attack.

Conspiratiorist posted:

If you're a Land Druid then heavy armor + shield + quarterstaff w/ shillelagh. Turning into animals is for recreation not combat.

Druids can't wear heavy armor and even if suboptimal changing into animals is fun.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I had exactly 1hp and wanted to survive at least another turn of combat to a great axe.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

esquilax posted:

Druids can't wear heavy armor and even if suboptimal changing into animals is fun.

*Medium armor

Krinkle posted:

The PHB literally says druids can't wear metal anything.

If the DM is an rear end about armor materials, then Barkskin + a wooden shield.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I can only concentrate on one thing at a time and my utility goes to poo poo if it's on how barklike I should be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ambi posted:

Man I hope we never get other Planescape species if that's how boring they are going to be.

Why did they even go for "lich Queen" instead of the historical philosophical split after the rebellion against the Illithid empire? That poo poo was great and tied into the whole "kinda psychic-resistant" thing. Actually why the gently caress do they not have Resistance to psychic damage, now that that's a thing?

Also Githyanki no longer build fortresses on the Astral remains of dead gods, 0/10.

Edit: I checked the Monster manual and all the philosophical split stuff is still there, Githyanki and are even more xenophobic than ever to justify being evil I guess. The lich-queen thing I forgot about, my bad.

Glad you checked the MM. Cause it was kind of funny seeing you complain about their lore when none of it had changed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Krinkle posted:

I can only concentrate on one thing at a time and my utility goes to poo poo if it's on how barklike I should be.

Then conjure animals.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Conspiratiorist posted:

Then conjure animals.

that's a higher level spell than a level 3 druid can swing.
Okay different question. My guy saw a town on fire and all the spells he brought with him would just make more plant matter to fuel the fire. I was left druidcrafting puffs of wind and tiny meaningless clouds whose barely-a-rain-at-all evaporated before reaching the flames. What's a spell that can deal with a fire, wall of wind? that's it?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually a little confused what the demographic for Eladrin is given that High Elf already exists and Eladrin was just a fantasy word alternate name for High Elf in 4e

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Krinkle posted:

Okay different question. My guy saw a town on fire and all the spells he brought with him would just make more plant matter to fuel the fire. I was left druidcrafting puffs of wind and tiny meaningless clouds whose barely-a-rain-at-all evaporated before reaching the flames. What's a spell that can deal with a fire, wall of wind? that's it?

Gust of wind.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It was a type of Good Outsider in 3.x, I believe. Not even the person-looking kind, a straight up outer-planar ball of light or something.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Create or Destroy Water can make rain

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
High elves are intellectual, aloof jerks while eladrin are mercurial, emotionally intense jerks. Maybe? :shrug:

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
It's a burning town, not a burning match. Blowing on it will just make it burn hotter and spread faster.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Comedy option, turn into something big and roll and stomp around in it to smother it. Sure you'll take a bunch of damage, but that goes away when you turn back :v:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

gizmojumpjet posted:

It's a burning town, not a burning match. Blowing on it will just make it burn hotter and spread faster.

Gust of Wind has "extinguishes flames" as an explicit effect.

Because magic.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is a burning town a protected flame? Because then it only has a 50/50 chance of extinguishing it.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

Gust of Wind has "extinguishes flames" as an explicit effect.

Because magic.

"Candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames." I don't think a burning town is similar to a candle or torch.

Certainly not at my table!

"Congratulations, you just roasted all of the orphans trapped inside the burning orphanage."

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Ghilz
Jun 15, 2007
In confusion there is opportunity
Gust of wind is also a blast of air so powerful it can blow a horse off his feet and throw it 15 feet down. We're far past "Blowing on a candle"

Also, the spell explicitly says it blows small flames. Would be DM fiat if it can put out a burning house.
"and it extinguishes candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames in the area. It causes protected flames, such as those of lanterns, to dance wildly and has a 50 percent chance to extinguish them. "

Caphi posted:

It was a type of Good Outsider in 3.x, I believe. Not even the person-looking kind, a straight up outer-planar ball of light or something.

Lantern Archon?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The town was on fire by a river of open sewage I"m wondering if shape water could have made a huge mess but put out the flames, eventually. Just moving 3 feet of piss six seconds at a time until the whole town was pissy and not on fire. Dare you enter my magical realm of piss?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

gizmojumpjet posted:

"Candles, torches, and similar unprotected flames." I don't think a burning town is similar to a candle or torch.

Certainly not at my table!

"Congratulations, you just roasted all of the orphans trapped inside the burning orphanage."

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

If we're applying physics, then Create or Destroy Water, which has the effect of extinguishing flames in a 30 ft square, wouldn't do poo poo either since it's just an instant splash of water.

Nothing you can do in this situation that wouldn't also destroy the town, aside from Wish.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Get a dwarf drunk and send it around pissing on every building. Roll a CON save or a DEX check, depending.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm actually a little confused what the demographic for Eladrin is given that High Elf already exists and Eladrin was just a fantasy word alternate name for High Elf in 4e

I've seen theories that, given the Gith and Eladrin, WotC is gonna start working on planar material, and Eladrin make for easy to make filler for the Feywilde, which is also not Arborea, but let's be frank, it 100% IS Arborea, but better, but also it's not, because in 5e BOTH of those somehow exist.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Krinkle posted:

The town was on fire by a river of open sewage

This situation gets better and better.

Druidcraft explicitly puts out a 'small campfire'. That seems like a lot of fire. Just keep on casting it? Same with Control Flames from POTA, a cantrip that extinguishes a 5' cube of fire. That can at least let you run around rescuing people by clearing flames from their doorway or whatever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be exact on the Eladrin they were the Chaotic Good Outsiders for 2e and 3e. Opposite the Archons which were the lawful good ones. 4e changed their lore to make them even more elf like then they were, (The Types of Eladrin that existed in the older versions were renamed Noble Eladrin in 4e it appears.)

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've seen theories that, given the Gith and Eladrin, WotC is gonna start working on planar material, and Eladrin make for easy to make filler for the Feywilde, which is also not Arborea, but let's be frank, it 100% IS Arborea, but better, but also it's not, because in 5e BOTH of those somehow exist.

There is a a somewhat significant difference between Arborea and The Feywild. Mainly that the fey have no real presence in Arborea. Other then that they are indeed similar both being naturey places with a chaotic bent.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 12, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a a somewhat significant difference between Arborea and The Feywild. Mainly that the fey have no real presence in Arborea. Other then that they are indeed similar both being naturey places with a chaotic bent.

When did that change?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God I wish the foldout map that came with Curse of Strahd was a player map. Both sides are really, really cool maps, but one is a detailed map of the main castle with all the traps and whatnot labelled and the other is a world map with a bunch of spoilers in the legend.

Whats a good way to block out the map legend in a way that wont slide off, but wont damage the paper?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Photocopy, black out whatever. (Though they'll figure out what the blacked out traps mean, so black out other stuff randomly!)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's a huge map that I wanna use as my centerpiece on the table, I'd need to take it to a print shop that could print a paper of that size, but I might just do that if it winds up being the best option.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, I didn't understand the logistics.

I wonder if someone out there has scanned/censored/published a clean variant.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It looks like the artist himself is selling them for 2 bucks per map. I could get a few of the important ones and print handouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

2bux is extremely reasonable. I've paid more for less, so to speak, when it comes to RPGs.