Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Begemot posted:

Of course it is, and no they haven't.

Oh my god it looks exactly like it did in 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I clicked that and holy poo poo i'm amazed to see that a comic that's been running since I was in high school does not appear to have improved its art in the slightest

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I own the two first volumes but I stopped reading it soon afterwards. I had completely forgotten about it and seeing the new strips is like looking into a time capsule.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Begemot posted:

Of course it is, and no they haven't.

Has 9/11 happened yet?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's good to see the goal posts being shifted from "it's snowing somewhere, climate change isn't real" to "the weather isn't apocalyptic somewhere, climate change isn't real".

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Bumper boats are rad, and I will not hear a word otherwise.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Fister Roboto posted:

It's good to see the goal posts being shifted from "it's snowing somewhere, climate change isn't real" to "the weather isn't apocalyptic somewhere, climate change isn't real".
If climate change is real, then why am I not currently on fireohgod :supaburn:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also lol of course it's a conspiracy of the greedy money grubbing scientific community to take hard earned dollars from the innocent oil corporations to fund their """research"""

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish Branco could just meet an actual climate scientist, and eat at his "house" over dinner.

the joke here is that a climate scientist can't afford a house, and if they were in the business of scamming someone they would have picked literally any other industry besides science.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

seiferguy posted:

I wish Branco could just meet an actual climate scientist, and eat at his "house" over dinner.

the joke here is that a climate scientist can't afford a house, and if they were in the business of scamming someone they would have picked literally any other industry besides science.
Alternatively, they'd pick a different patron than Big Climate, like some large industrial sector(s) with a vested interest in climate change being fake.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Hillary just won't go away. Now she's subjecting us to her mewling about how unfair things were and how deplorable people were to her. She tells us that she didn't even bother writing her concession speech. As if she ever wrote anything.

She pays scriptwriters for that. Now another writer has ghostwritten her latest book in which she blames everyone but herself. She even blames Bernie Sanders, from whom she stole the primaries. Sanders, being the politically correct wimp that he is, even supported the thieving witch, but Hillary blamed him regardless.

She blamed Trump for annoying her at one of the debates. He came too close to Her Majesty and she wished she had told him to 'Back up, you creep!' She probably wanted to say worse—and she did say worse to the Secret Service agents who protected her. What an inconvenience it must have been for her to actually have to spend her valuable time to debate Trump.
Oh sure, she made sure she got the questions provided to her in advance, but she still had to go through the motions and debate Trump. What an aggravation! Apparently she wanted the Presidency handed to her by default. She said she was 'gobsmacked' when Americans had the nerve to reject her. The problem is, she won't shut her gob now.

In addition, the Hildebeast predictably blamed 'sexism' and 'misogyny' for her loss. She complained Americans were too backward to want a female commander in chief. Wrong. Americans simply didn't want YOU, Hillary. We're sick of your lies, your alignment with the deep state and the central bankers who paid you many millions of dollars for a short speech. We're sick of your contemptuous sense of entitlement, and your long list of crimes that you have gotten away with just because the Illuminati has your back.

Hillary also got away with operating an unprotected private server for her pay-for-play schemes. She obstructed justice by deleting thousands of emails to cover up her crime. Then she lied about doing it. She bleached her sever to hide evidence.

The Clintons amassed a $240 million fortune according to Forbes. By doing what? What business did they have? Their business was to rip off America. Hillary in particular has always been a money grubber. That's why she's now asking over $2,000 for a personal 'meet and greet' during her book tour. The Clintons love making money by gaming the system. They use their political connections to sell out America for profit.

Remember Bill pardoning the billionaire Marc Rich? In return, a hefty sum was donated to The Clinton Foundation, which is nothing but a money laundering operation. It makes it easier for them to cook the books. The Clintons used their foundation as a filter to siphon off aid meant for Haiti earthquake victims. The Clintons are immoral grifters and an insult to America. They've left a very long trail of dead bodies. Seth Rich released info about the DNC corruption and rigging to WikiLeaks. He was murdered as a result. Prosecutors and investigators also have a habit of washing up dead.

Hillary enjoyed the rabid support of the mainstream media who raved about her being a historic and extremely experienced candidate. They dragged Trump through the mud for her at ever turn. The DNC rigged her nomination and she spent over a billion dollars on her campaign. The debates with Trump were rigged in her favor. She was up against a man with no political experience. She still lost because too many Americans are fed up with the Clintons. They can't stand Hillary and the system that rigged everything in her favor.

History needs to slam the book shut on the Clintons.

—Ben Garrison

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

darthbob88 posted:

Alternatively, they'd pick a different patron than Big Climate, like some large industrial sector(s) with a vested interest in climate change being fake.

I bet those same companies have had their money reach Branco's pockets in some shape or form too.

Edit: isn't one of the 3 groups he draws for something like Americans for Energy Independence or something?

Edit 2: a cartoon all about the Clintons and no drat shoe, 1/10 see me after class, Ben

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 12, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

Also lol of course it's a conspiracy of the greedy money grubbing scientific community to take hard earned dollars from the innocent oil corporations to fund their """research"""

God drat those scientists, inventing things and needing money to fund that research into the things that make my life convenient like microwaves and air conditioning! It's there fault I am destroying the environment. Global warming wouldn't be happening if it wasn't for the human capacity to learn and invent!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

That Garrison rant is sadly lacking in spittle.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

just die already you piece of poo poo waste of a human life

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Branco gets paid by fossil fuel lobbies.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

D.N. Nation posted:

No missing shoe, weak.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No missing shoe, weak.

It's there

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
Not only is it there but one of the books seems to only be about the shoe?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Trogdos! posted:

It's there

Took me a minute, but I see it now!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Trogdos! posted:

It's there

Good eye! Comic saved.

I also like her little Illuminati earrings.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
gently caress off!

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Somebody mentioned the Challenger disaster so I looked for comics after that in the Reno Gazette-Journal

A thing happened

Feb 2 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

Reagan maybe?

Feb 1 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

Jeff MacNelly was the creator of the comic Shoe, he was also one of the more popular editorial cartoonists in the late 20th century. He died in 2000.

May 5 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

This is about Tennesse v. Garner where the supreme court ruled police can't use deadly force on a fleeing suspect without probable cause that they will hurt somebody.

April 4 1985 Reno Gazette-Journal

Yeah the quality of the four horsemen turned to poo poo after replacing death with ignorance.

April 4 1986 Reno Gazette Journal

People bowing is serious business

April 16 1986

I really have no idea

February 2 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

This is some guy named Gorrell. You've probably never heard of him.

October 6 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

I'm gonna be honest, if the signature wasn't exactly the same I would have never guessed it was the same artist.

Jan 29 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

This is just something I thought was funny. Imagine the conspiracy theories if this was a democrat.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh no, people are stealing stuff that is going to get destroyed by the hurricane anyway!

The response to that has been "that just means they're stealing from the insurance company!" which is just laffo.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

duz posted:

The response to that has been "that just means they're stealing from the insurance company!" which is just laffo.

It's kind of like employees not getting to eat food that would otherwise be thrown away. Except that 99% of the people are just trying to survive and it's much harder to fake a hurricane then it is to say oh this sandwich is garbage.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Throwing Turtles posted:

This is some guy named Gorrell. You've probably never heard of him.

October 6 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

JFC. Post more, and I'll be able to revise his profile (with more of the same "every political cartoonist suffered from an onset of early crippling artistic impotence in the 21st century" thesis)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

More '80s Gorrell.

Allan Holtz, comic strip historian posted:

In the 1980s, when editorial cartoonists all seem to have gotten the same idea at the same time to branch out into comic strips, Bob Gorrell and Gary Brookins took their turn up at the plate. As editorial cartoonists for, respectively, the Richmond News-Leader and Richmond Times-Dispatch, this would seem like an unlikely alliance. However, the two Richmond papers were not actually rivals -- they were under the same ownership.

Both creators were fans of horror and monster movies, so they came up with a strip idea that they hoped would be the comic strip equivalent of the movie Young Frankenstein. Cobwebs brought together a team of classic horror movie characters -- Dracula, the Wolf-Man, the Mummy, Frankenstein, a mad scientist and a hunch-backed henchman -- into a comic strip that spoofed the genres. Gorrell supplied layouts and pencilled art, Brookins inked, and both creators supplied gags.

After being turned down by the major syndicates, Cobwebs found a home at Asterisk Features, a small but high-quality start-up helmed by John Somerville. Somerville was surely attracted to the excellent art, and hoped that the appeal to horror-movie fans (a genre going through a major revitalization in the 80s) might get newspaper feature editors to take a chance. Sadly, his expectations didn't pan out, and when Cobwebs debuted on May 12 1986 (Sunday starting May 18), it was in a very small list of newspapers. Gorrell and Brookins gamely stuck with the strip through a one-year contract, but by the end of that term it had become apparent that no Peanuts-like slow build was in the offing. The strip was given last rites on May 30 1987.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

IndustrialApe posted:

Yeah, that's where they went wrong.
They thought they hired a children's entertainer because he was popular with "the kids", he's a YouTube-personality, if they aren't shock-jocks they're morning-zoo DJs.

From a few pages back but gently caress it.

PewDiePie and his ilk are the beneficiaries of a gold rush mentality. It's the same thing that happened in the dot-com boom: if you take the time to do due diligence about who you're hiring, then you risk losing them to someone who doesn't do due diligence. And do you really want to be known as the company that lost out on getting the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs on your payroll because you did paperwork while someone else just shoved a contract at them? Especially when you don't even understand what it is they do, but you know results when you see them.

We are now seeing object lessons in why that whole "due diligence" thing came about.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

The book on the far right is rich considering he supports President Grab Em By The Pussy.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Donald Trump and natural disasters – Donald Trump has said his thoughts are with the survivors and families of the victims of Hurricanes Irma and Harvey"

Telegraph:

Brexit: EU repeal bill wins first Commons vote

Independent:

Former Europe minister Caroline Flint to defy Labour whips on EU bill

Times:

Evening Standard:

Boris Johnson flies to Caribbean amid criticism over UK response

Mail:
MAC on... Tony Blair speaking out again

'I'm afraid it's one of those irritating pains in the bottom that just when you think you're rid of it, it pops back up again – we call it a Tony Blair.'

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Gordon Shumway posted:

The book on the far right is rich considering he supports President Grab Em By The Pussy.
Whoa you mean to tell me that Garrison might be concern trolling??????????????

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is there even a single person who likes Tony Blair?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

D.N. Nation posted:

When he started listing the "Clinton crimes" there in the last several paragraphs it felt like he was just going through the motions. "Blah blah blah emails, yada yada Clinton Foundation kickbacks, wah wah wah murder..."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm more bemused by both the left and right hating him, but for entirely different reasons (opposite reasons, really).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

JK Rowling used to, iirc. Don't know if she still does.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Frankly yeah, "that's climate change I guess" has become a regular feature of casual weather discussions recently. I wonder why that is?

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Gordon Shumway posted:

You could say that about half those books. Except for "My Morals by Donald Trump", which would be represented by a black hole.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is this an edit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vib Rib posted: