Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Taintrunner posted:

Again, you're thinking logically. The problem is that applying any sort of reality to cinematic space combat would be utterly boring and nigh unwatchable, because the sheer volume of space is so large that weapons would be fired from such a distance before you could even see the enemy. Within the confines of Star Wars, the filmmaker can come up with whatever rules they please as long as they don't break the suspension of disbelief and take the audience out of the movie. By having the behemoth of a vertical Star Destroyer bleeding past both edges of the frame, stretching out seemingly infinitely, contrasted against a typical Rebel fleet as we've seen in previous films, you could show the scale and the power of the First Order in contrast to our heroes, spaced out and constrained by the confines of the frame. Obligatiory Homeworld screenshot:

They can still do that. It doesn't have to literally designed to be vertical for cool shots to be made. There's this thing I keep referencing where in space you aren't tethered to a specific plane, and Star Wars is totally capable of taking advantage of that fact (see: openings of RotS, AotC; flying through the 2nd Death Star; etc.). Having space in Star Wars be 3-dimensional isn't some hard sci-fi pipe dream, because it's already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

They can still do that. It doesn't have to literally designed to be vertical for cool shots to be made. There's this thing I keep referencing where in space you aren't tethered to a specific plane, and Star Wars is totally capable of taking advantage of that fact (see: openings of RotS, AotC; flying through the 2nd Death Star; etc.). Having space in Star Wars be 3-dimensional isn't some hard sci-fi pipe dream, because it's already there.

And yet, as you point out, it mostly isn't there. In Star Wars, space is lower-gravity air.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
honestly they should have saved starkiller base for the 9th film and made it a dyson sphere that was built even before the old republic existed but was kept secret by whatever faction came across it and persisted that snoke is a part of. then be like yea snoke had this idea that we turn it into a big rear end space/time cannon and it woulda been at least more original than what we got in TFA

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

BarronsArtGallery posted:

honestly they should have saved starkiller base for the 9th film and made it a dyson sphere that was built even before the old republic existed but was kept secret by whatever faction came across it and persisted that snoke is a part of. then be like yea snoke had this idea that we turn it into a big rear end space/time cannon and it woulda been at least more original than what we got in TFA

Disney, i'm still available to hire btw. I'll leave my job right now if you merely give me the writing credits.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

The first order is north korea cosplaying as nazis

honestly I don't know if TFA's costume design team modeled their poo poo after the DPRK or if the DPRK copied their design or both.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
We already have a thread for long form answers to questions nobody asked about how star wars is art imitating life, or whatever.

Look, spoilers!

Mark Hamill took lightsaber classes maybe:
https://vid.me/bGhQd

Rian John said there are multiple twists in Ep VIII in an interview, and also that Joseph Gordon Levitt has a voiceover cameo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTPFvZjfJfg

quote:

Rian was repeatedly asked about the surprise twists in TLJ. He suggested there was more than one and was gratified that Daisy and Mark were "shocked" when they read the script, but he emphasized that he avoided writing any twists for their own sake. Everything had to follow naturally from the plot. When asked if there was any reveal on the level of "I am your father", he said no.

Poe probably suffers a demotion:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Well if you are in any logically ranked Navy, Captain is a promotion from Commander!

:goonsay:

(Biggest major offender to this rule is, oddly, BSG)

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Also maybe he is now captain of his own starship! Poe Dameron Star Tours, if you will.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Best speculation I'm hearing is that Holdo folds the Resistance back into what remains of the Republic's military forces, meaning that Poe would be reinstated with his old rank of Captain.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kylo will turn good.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
So Abrams is back for Episode IX?

http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix?cmp=smc%7C1069686719

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If true RIP literally all hope for this trilogy at least ending well.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Barudak posted:

If true RIP literally all hope for this trilogy at least ending well.

Starkiller Base 2 with more crevices and fault lines

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

jisforjosh posted:

Starkiller Base 2 with more crevices and fault lines

It's a sun that shoots planets at other suns.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's almost like they had to play it safe to make sure people would like it. You guys should read other forums. There are a lot of people who worship the OT and anything different is crap.

It sucks but this is the world we're in.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
A competently executed popcorn movie guaranteed, and by one of the few that can stand up to the machine.

Could do a lot worse.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I have to hope that at the very least Abrams will have a little more leeway to be original in the final film of the trilogy than the first. But then again the parallels between ESB and TLJ seem to just keep piling up, so this whole trilogy might just be a soft reboot of the OT in the end...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't think Abrams has ever done good work outside the beginning/tone-setting part of a narrative — Star Trek '09 has the best opening sequence of any Trek film, but it doesn't do much interesting with it.

This is not my ideal pick!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I don't think Abrams has ever done good work outside the beginning/tone-setting part of a narrative — Star Trek '09 has the best opening sequence of any Trek film, but it doesn't do much interesting with it.

I'm confused by this statement. Doesn't that opening sequence basically set the OT universe apart from the JJ-verse by the very fact that it results in the death of Kirks father at the hands of Nero? How is that not interesting?

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I think this is a pretty decent choice. Considering that, with Carrier Fisher dead and rewrites necessary, they were basically starting from scratch anyway from what they were planning for IX. JJ is gaining a reputation as the Reboot-Guy and that is essentially what they were looking at considering it looks like the easy layup of "Leia interacts with Crazy Luke to help save All Things" had to be binned. If you can't do the big story you wanted, better to default to something big, dumb, and (relatively...) satisfying. Too bad I thought TFA was boring as gently caress.

Edit: You guys had David Lynch right "there"!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You know in your heart it will be cgi force ghost leia.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

AndyElusive posted:

I'm confused by this statement. Doesn't that opening sequence basically set the OT universe apart from the JJ-verse by the very fact that it results in the death of Kirks father at the hands of Nero? How is that not interesting?

That bit was interesting, the rest of the movie after it was poo poo and boring, and so was the sequel. It took the third one by a new director to dig any sort of interesting Star Trek out of the mire Abrams left it in.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Naw, Star Trek 2009 was great. Abrams also made a good Mission: Impossible and Super 8 was great. What you should be worried about is the fact that Force Awakens felt muddled and vacuous.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

That bit was interesting, the rest of the movie after it was poo poo and boring, and so was the sequel. It took the third one by a new director to dig any sort of interesting Star Trek out of the mire Abrams left it in.

1/3 seems about the going rate for goodness in the Trek franchise though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I am very happy about JJ getting the job and I'm even more happy about the date being moved back to December 2019. Releasing in May just a couple weeks apart from Infinity War would have been absolutely asinine.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Battuta posted:

This is not my ideal pick!

I really don't agree with this statement. Star Trek '09 might very well be my favorite Star Trek movie. You can say it does nothing interesting with the setup, but you have a cold, harsh, cynical, canon obsessed ("Don't tell me it didn't happen! I saw it happen!") personification of modern sci-fi (his ship might as well be from Mass Effect) battling with colorful, optimistic, literal "ship of lights" sci-fi, and getting its rear end kicked, sucked into a black hole of nothingness.

JJ Abrams makes movies about movies and their fandom. TFA certainly holds up to this.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 13, 2017

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You're right, but I think the opening promises even more. It reminds me almost of BSG with its respect for vacuum and the hostility of space - I don't think it's quite of a piece with cave Spock, transwarp beaming, and yet another villain intent on destroying Earth.

I do like the black hole a lot, though!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Battuta posted:

I do like the black hole a lot, though!

They should get Nelson to direct episode 9.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

I really don't agree with this statement. Star Trek '09 might very well be my favorite Star Trek movie. You can say it does nothing interesting with the setup, but you have a cold, harsh, cynical, canon obsessed ("Don't tell me it didn't happen! I saw it happen!") personification of modern sci-fi (his ship might as well be from Mass Effect) battling with colorful, optimistic, literal "ship of lights" sci-fi, and getting its rear end kicked, sucked into a black hole of nothingness.

JJ Abrams makes movies about movies and their fandom. TFA certainly holds up to this.

Making films that are digs at fans who are responsible for sustaining the franchise and the film existing is pretty hosed up. Abrams has a great scam going.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huzanko posted:

Making films that are digs at fans who are responsible for sustaining the franchise and the film existing is pretty hosed up. Abrams has a great scam going.

Creators are not remotely obligated to be nice to their fans and in fact trying to do is probably foolish from a creative perspective. if a creator is afraid of challenging or upsetting their fans then something is wrong.

I mean that doesn't necessarily mean they'll make the most profit but that's something else.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I can't stand how people all over the internet mindlessly blame JJ for the ending of LOST when he literally had nothing to do with the show after the first season.

Now if Lindelof was going to write or direct woah boy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Damon Lindelof is Very Good

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Creators are not remotely obligated to be nice to their fans and in fact trying to do is probably foolish from a creative perspective. if a creator is afraid of challenging or upsetting their fans then something is wrong.

I mean that doesn't necessarily mean they'll make the most profit but that's something else.

Yeah, Animaniacs got it right 20 years ago. Fans are actually kind of the worst.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Damon Lindelof is Very Good

I know . A lindelof Star Wars would be fantastic but . What can you do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ImpAtom posted:

Fans aren't obligated to like it when creators churn out awful poo poo like Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness either. It's not upset with being challenged, they're just really bad movies.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Star Trek 09 is like the third best Star Trek

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NTRabbit posted:

Fans aren't obligated to like it when creators churn out awful poo poo like Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness either. It's not upset with being challenged, they're just really bad movies.

The fans loved Star Trek 09.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Schwarzwald posted:

The fans loved Star Trek 09.

All of the fans i know did not. The only people I know who liked it were non-Trek fans I saw it with as we left the theatre, and it didn't stay long in the memory.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

Star Trek 09 is like the third best Star Trek

I agree, though some days I'd say it's the second best. I go back and forth on 6. The shapeshifter stuff is a little too silly. And Kim Cattrall's search for the space boots loses me every time. But god drat is Christopher Plummer so good in it.

NTRabbit posted:

All of the fans i know did not. The only people I know who liked it were non-Trek fans I saw it with as we left the theatre, and it didn't stay long in the memory.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=02LgdXVkXgM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NTRabbit posted:

My sister in law liked it. Her review was "I liked it, everyone was so cute."

We've also had arguments that Green Day is not the same Green Day from the early 90's because "how could they be? Everyone is so cute and young."

So there.

• Locked thread