Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

actually it's good obama ignored unions in wisconsin and chicago because to do otherwise would be getting political and violating ~decorum~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

it might be that the center-right dems are realizing that despite ideological similarities they're never going to find common ground with people who think that the democrats are literally, literally aligned with literally Satan, so now they have to slink off and try make friends with the left

there is no room for half measures anymore, collaborators have to pick a side

even satan has to pick a side now :smugbert:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"My message to young people: dOnAtE t0 tHe D3m0cRaTIC paRty"
\

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

my very suck zone mayor ed murray (seattle) just resigned after yet another child sex abuse allegation. shoulda done this months ago, christ what an rear end in a top hat

did he remove the lenin statue ??

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Nonsense posted:

did he remove the lenin statue ??

he said he thought it should be removed, but it's privately owned on private property, so he can succ it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

otoh the americans sure fought a lot of wars with relatively small armies

did you know for instance america invaded korea in the 1870s?

the reason why the us had small army isn't because america is peaceful, it's because there wasn't 4-5 European great powers next door that required a big army like what every contemporary European power did
sure, but then we aren't really disagreeing anymore

I took what you meant as a cultural argument. Yeah, America had a ton of military interventions because of its easy imperialistic opportunities - but the vast majority of those interventions occurred "automatically," without the deliberate majority consent of the body politic.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

jBrereton posted:

fwiw the British who fought war of 1812 also did not have a particularly big army ever unless at war (and most of their troops were fighting napoleon), hence why they got so owned in every serious conflict.

The British also did not particularly care for or admire the enlisted members of their army until WWI, for similar reasons as the Americans. From a British perspective, the army was much more the private thug squad of the monarchy and empire, whereas the navy was the true defender of the nation. To be a squaddie prior to 1914 was, in essence, to represent that you were either too stupid to find honest work, or too crooked, in the eyes of most British people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

If your decision led to Donald Trump becoming President, it's time to reconsider whether it was the "responsible" decision.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

comedyblissoption posted:

actually it's good obama ignored unions in wisconsin and chicago because to do otherwise would be getting political and violating ~decorum~

He was actually building up political capital.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

jBrereton posted:

fwiw the British who fought war of 1812 also did not have a particularly big army ever unless at war (and most of their troops were fighting napoleon), hence why they got so owned in every serious conflict.

true, but then the British had a pretty big standing navy and was an Island

the British army in the 19th century actually did pretty well in Portugal and Spain vs Napoleon too

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Typo posted:

true, but then the British had a pretty big standing navy and was an Island

the British army in the 19th century actually did pretty well in Portugal and Spain vs Napoleon too

It helped that they were able to portray themselves as liberators come to save Spain from foreign despotism, and threw in with the partisans at every opportunity.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

This quote is like a fine wine.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He was actually building up political capital.

Obama built up so much political capital he was able to cash it in for every American to be able to go windsurfing and get hundreds of thousands of dollars for nothing

wait... poo poo.... drat!!!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
all that political capital for Mitch McConnell to gleefully cockblock him at every turn and saying things like "this was the greatest accomplishment of my life."

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Obama building up political capital was like when Goku tried to go full power SSJ3 to beat Kid Buu while Vegeta was running interference, but in the end he just kept losing power and couldn't even maintain super saiyan form because he wasn't dead anymore.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lastgirl posted:

all that political capital for Mitch McConnell to gleefully cockblock him at every turn and saying things like "this was the greatest accomplishment of my life."

flipside of that is now everyone forgot how that maneuver helped give Trump the presidency and they're throwing him under the bus while "appointed a SCOTUS judge" is the only accomplishment Trump can point to and it wasn't even his accomplishment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The triumvirate for 21st century: Obama, Hillary, and Hillary's ego.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
obama was, to quote a racist meme, charging his laser

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"You know, you know America, if if if if if I don't go to whore island, with my good friend Richard Virgin, I don't know that we, as a nation, can succeed. The promise of the future is in your hands."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

jBrereton posted:

except at new Orleans where Wellington's troops came over under his brother in law's command to put down uppity Andrew Jackson and got wiped out . eat poo poo Brits

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Al! posted:

obama was, to quote a racist meme, charging his laser

obama spent 8 years chargin his lazer but in the end it just came out as a wet nasty fart

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Obama never used his political capital spirit bomb because "political capital" is actually money.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good dems, good dems, watchu gonna do, watchu gonna do when they work for you?

https://twitter.com/CaryKennedy/status/907688797818761225

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Obama never used his political capital spirit bomb because "political capital" is actually money.

the lord of the rings comic where instead of the ring with stupid political labels, its just money

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

:rolleyes: pfft, crazy non-democrat bernie who rants and raves and gets nothing done

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Good dems, good dems, watchu gonna do, watchu gonna do when they work for you?

https://twitter.com/CaryKennedy/status/907688797818761225

didnt the colorado dems already shoot down a democratically passed single payer resolution

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

didnt the colorado dems already shoot down a democratically passed single payer resolution

Yes, but that gov. candidate is keeping the dream alive.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/katereadsbks/status/907662831822110720

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the spirit bomb only actually ever worked once

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i just dont think anything is going to top this one

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Hillary is the lady in red from this comic

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Hillary Clinton's Solipsistic Fit

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Hillary is the lady in red from this comic

"you are not absolved"

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

Bernie and Hillary is the Goofus & Gallant of the American Liberal

BERNIE: Keeps his chin up, actively continues fighting for his agenda which he knows to be true in his heart
HILLARY: Grifts a book tour for a 512 page screed about how it's everyone else's fault

BERNIE: unites the democrats behind single payer
HILLARY: *spills tee* #THRONESYALL yaaassss drag 'em cersei

hillary is embracing her heel turn

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bernie would have won.

"if you strike me down, hilary, i shall become more powerful than u can possibly imagine"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The thing about this quote is that you can't show it to a D&D type to prove how bad the book is because they would agree with it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it's amazing when i post in a D&D thread and the bad dem crew starts immediately crying about me relitigating the primary again even when i've not brought up the primary, hillary, or bernie. they're so allergic to their safe-space being invaded that they ruin it with primary chat all on their own

:lol:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/907692232114933760

quote:

In our conversation, she was as quick and confident as I’ve seen her, making the case for her politics without worrying too much about the coalitional angles or the possible lines of offense. And she says plenty that can, and will, offend. In our discussion, she lit into Bernie Sanders’s single-payer plan, warned that Donald Trump is dragging us down an authoritarian path, spoke openly of the role racism and white resentment played in the campaign, and argued that the outcome of the 2016 election represented a failure of the media above all. This was Clinton unleashed, and while she talked about what happened, it was much more interesting when she talked about what she believed should have happened.

lol

waiting for the transcript bc i'm not watchin that poo poo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

she straight up pulled out her gat and braaap braaap braaap and suddenly bernie was lying in a puddle of single-donor blood

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This was Clinton unleashed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WovYnLL9Yow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/907692232114933760

lol

waiting for the transcript bc i'm not watchin that poo poo

None of this is healthy. These people are not sane.

• Locked thread