Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segue
May 23, 2007

well why not posted:

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/mom-dad-review-1202553484/

Get hype. Cage, Taylor & Mr. Bill are three of my top interests so it's awesome to see the stars align like this.

I saw this at TIFF and it's a fun theatre movie. It's tonally all over the place and Nic Cage is a parody of himself but it's very self-aware, short, and a great time if the audience is in on it. Also Selma Blair absolutely kills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Heck yeah!

Heck no!

Also, some stuff:

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/906861275686223872
https://twitter.com/intothecrevasse/status/906862789498687488

https://twitter.com/HG_Hohbes/status/906244091985395712
https://twitter.com/HG_Hohbes/status/906244450933985280
https://twitter.com/HG_Hohbes/status/906245580715954176

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that clown guy owns.

i thought mother was a remake of rosemary's baby when the trailer started before stephen king's it the terror from beyond space.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The best modern sex comedy is "the to do list"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.facebook.com/NicolasCageFP/videos/1865629306785697/

quote:

On being 'over-the-top': "You show me where the top is and I'll let you know whether I'm over it or not, alright? I design what the top is."

well why not fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Cage owns acting

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

I don't even like the word acting anymore, because it implies lying in some way. I don't act, I feel and I imagine and I channel.

I believe him.

If it was anyone else, I'd roll my eyes. But, this man speaks true.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Liam Neeson has announced that he is officially too old for this poo poo and won't be doing any more action movies. He has one more that is already completed but that's it.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Also JJ Abrams is official on Star Wars IX, as we continue to become a bizarre world where I care less and less about Star Wars

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just saw a trailer for Murder on the Orient Express and drat did they choose the worst track for this who dunn it thing. Believer by Imagine Dragons?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also JJ Abrams is official on Star Wars IX, as we continue to become a bizarre world where I care less and less about Star Wars
I'm very excited for this because I loved Force Awakens, but I can absolutely see why you wouldn't be. Still, though, it's not Colin Trevorrow, so that's a big win for everyone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tars Tarkas posted:

where I care less and less about Star Wars

That's been me over the last fifteen years. Realizing that I liked the original trilogy well enough but was never super into them. It was the videogames I had had the most fun with that made me think I was this big fan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lobok posted:

That's been me over the last fifteen years. Realizing that I liked the original trilogy well enough but was never super into them. It was the videogames I had had the most fun with that made me think I was this big fan.

:yossame: and the last Star Wars video game I even bothered to play was Knights of the Old Republic 2

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Technically it wasn't so much a gangbang as it was running a train.

I thought running a train was more rape-y.
Strange how Star Wars went from being A Thing to just a thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Isn't Star Wars IX still in pre-production? Surely they have time to bring in a new director instead of returning to their safe pair of hands.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vincent posted:

I thought running a train was more rape-y.

Maybe here but Star Wars is still very much A Thing at the moment. Almost every Star Wars thing is massively successful and TFA and RO did gangbusters at the box office and pretty much every Star Wars related thing is doing very well. It's got plenty of time to burn out with yearly releases but hasn't yet.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Vegetable posted:

Isn't Star Wars IX still in pre-production? Surely they have time to bring in a new director instead of returning to their safe pair of hands.

I think they're coming up on 2 year, start to finish, so it makes sense that they'd retreat to Abrams. I was worried they'd shift Ron Howard over to Episode IX and just filter the whims of the producers through him, so this is a slight step up from that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Just imagine Joss Whedon fleshing out Rey's tragic backstory.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vincent posted:

For most people it's just a consequence of getting old.

e: plus a sprinkle of "SA is very jaded and cynical to begin with"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm very excited for this because I loved Force Awakens, but I can absolutely see why you wouldn't be. Still, though, it's not Colin Trevorrow, so that's a big win for everyone.

The Force Awakens was perfectly adequate, which is pretty much high praise these days for a tentpole release.

Electromax posted:

e: plus a sprinkle of "SA is very jaded and cynical to begin with"

We are the hipsters of nerds.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

sbaldrick posted:

The best modern sex comedy is "the to do list"

You're actually spot on. I keep forgetting that movie exists until a song from the soundtrack pops up on Pandora and I say "Oh hey, that movie was really good".

If you haven't seen "The To Do List" it's really good, and has a pretty great soundtrack.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Haha, anal sex

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

She'd have been slowly washing her feet in that trough when she met Finn

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

quote:

"I don't even like the word acting anymore, because it implies lying in some way. I don't act, I feel and I imagine and I channel"

Nicolas Cage is Dean Learner? That explains so much.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Drive Angry (Shot in 3-D) is also one of my favorite movies in the last ten years, Nic Cage.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Nicholas Cage calmly drinking from the bad guy's skull at the end, because he promised to is one of the under-celebrated film endings of the last few years.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

She'd have been slowly washing her feet in that trough when she met Finn

Quentin Tarantino, nice

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Honestly I'm a bit worried about Abrams not because I dislike his directing style, but because the guy cannot resist the temptation to put a "mystery box" in his works and then gently caress off leaving someone else to come up with a satisfying answer. Inevitably when he is forced to explain the mystery himself it's not that great, but sometimes he ends up with someone else who is able to pick up the pieces and make a great story.

I was completely okay with the Rey mystery because I knew that Abrams would not be coming back and giving a ham-fisted answer. But now...

At least it's not Whedon.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hopefully Johnson will have come up with a good answer that JJ can use.

I'm not thrilled with the news, but now I'm sure Episode 9 will be at least competent and enjoyable, which is a step up from before.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Force Awakens was awesome when it premiered in 1977

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The second time I saw Rogue One was with my Dad. Prior to that, we talked about what it was like for him to see the original Star Wars (Star Wars - A New Hope to you 30-somethings like me) in cinema, and he talked a little bit about how it *was* as awesome and that, really, history hadn't embellished how awesome it was all that much. Groundbreaking special effects, etc.

Anyway, we watched Rogue One, and afterward on the bus ride home, I tried to talk about it. He kind of shrugged, and didn't seem that interested in talking about the film.

Soon after I gave up trying to talk about the film, he just told me it was a movie, it was okay, and he enjoyed it.

The way I felt instantly reminded me of that George Lucas story: They died.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In a sad bit of actor interaction, Tyrese Gibson has resorted to Instagram to try and convince the Rock to not do the rumored Hobbs/Shaw FF spin off. Apparently the Rock has not been returning Tyrese's calls.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently the Rock has not been returning Tyrese's calls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IbC1Ve5kBM&t=386s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vincent posted:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The second time I saw Rogue One was with my Dad. Prior to that, we talked about what it was like for him to see the original Star Wars (Star Wars - A New Hope to you 30-somethings like me) in cinema, and he talked a little bit about how it *was* as awesome and that, really, history hadn't embellished how awesome it was all that much. Groundbreaking special effects, etc.

Anyway, we watched Rogue One, and afterward on the bus ride home, I tried to talk about it. He kind of shrugged, and didn't seem that interested in talking about the film.

Soon after I gave up trying to talk about the film, he just told me it was a movie, it was okay, and he enjoyed it.

The way I felt instantly reminded me of that George Lucas story: They died.

We had a derail about the popularity of the Prequel trilogy vs the popularity of Star Wars in general over in the Godzilla thread of all places and I noticed something odd when I went and pulled up the graph of tickets sales of the PT versus the Disney Star Wars:

Wizchine posted:

The Phaontom Menace's high numbers are easily explained: there was much pent-up excitement and demand for a new Star Wars movie so that everyone wanted to see it, even when reviews didn't come back stellar. The performance of the subsequent two prequels more accurately reflect the deflated expectations people had for the story Lucas had embarked upon.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's half correct. People kept going to see The Phantom Menace and were still turning out in the cinema 3 months later (just like a regular popular blockbuster) but with Attack Of The Clones and Revenge Of The Sith the number sharply dropped off after the third weekend, which is exactly the same pattern as The Force Awakens and Rogue One. That means that the performance of the subsequent two prequels more accurately reflect modern audiences' reaction towards Star Wars in general.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/c...Star-Wars-Story

tl;dr: Jar Jar Binks ruined Star Wars forever

Edit: there's a similar thing happening in the DCEU. A whole ton of people turned out for Man of Steel and BvS in the first few weeks but then the ticket sales plateaued pretty dramatically. Suicide Squad had a smaller opening than BvS but word of mouth kept sales up to the point where it almost caught up. Wonder Woman's opening weekend was even smaller than all the others but people just kept turning up and watching it so it gradually overtook all the others and kept going. It's been in cinemas for three and a half months and hasn't plateaued yet.

Superman and Batman are just a thing as far as audiences were concerned but Wonder Woman turned out to be A Thing.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 13, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Most wide release films have the same pattern I think. I don't think it's anything unusual or noteworthy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vegetable posted:

Most wide release films have the same pattern I think. I don't think it's anything unusual or noteworthy.

The graph of ticket sales for most wide release films usually have a fairly smooth curve, here's the top 6 films of 2017 (so far), 2016 and 2015 for comparison. The Star Wars movies have a noticeable boomerang-like bend rather than a gradual easing off.

That's not to say that The Force Awakens and Rogue One were box office failures in any way, just that the hype was massively front loaded and after 3 or 4 weeks it dropped off from "crazy high" to just "regular" pretty sharply.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

You're dad isn't wrong. The majority of us here, myself included, grew up in a post Star Wars world. Star Wars was groundbreaking in it's treatment of science fiction, and as a result revolutionized the genre, as well as special effects as a whole. You have to admit that the story itself is average at best, but the handling of everything else around it elevated it to classic status.

I'm not even sure that there is possibly an analog to Star Wars for us, maybe Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

You're dad isn't wrong. The majority of us here, myself included, grew up in a post Star Wars world. Star Wars was groundbreaking in it's treatment of science fiction, and as a result revolutionized the genre, as well as special effects as a whole. You have to admit that the story itself is average at best, but the handling of everything else around it elevated it to classic status.

I'm not even sure that there is possibly an analog to Star Wars for us, maybe Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park??

In terms of box office popularity if you look at a list of best selling films of all time (adjusted for inflation) then the original Star Wars is the second biggest film of all time with some numbers that are pretty much unfathomable these days. It's ridiculous how popular it was especially considering that Jaws is generally credited with creating the 'summer tentpole blockbuster' genre and that was only two years earlier. The only films that have come anywhere close to that level of success since Star Wars premiered were ET and Titanic and they still fell significantly short, and Avatar and Jurassic Park fell way way behind.

Remember how everyone seemed to go crazy for The Avengers in 2012 and it was apparently breaking all sorts of box office records? Comparatively speaking it did less than half the domestic business of the original Star Wars. If you take all the hype and word of mouth and repeat screenings of The Avengers and double it then you're approaching the amount of hype that people had for Star Wars and it somehow managed to achieve that without the gigantic promotional campaign that was behind The Avengers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Star Wars was more than just a blockbuster though, it was a cultural touchstone because of what it did for cinema as a whole, and looking at the box office numbers alone misses why it had such impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gone with the Wind still number one.

• Locked thread