Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Well, yeah. I didn't mean against just BBs. :v: DDs are the best at torpedo snap shots, and probably the only ship that can survive a heads-up torpedo dance off at short range. The faster you end every battle, the more HP you'll have later. This is the biggest asset torpedoes bring to the table, because even a hundred HP can mean the difference between victory or defeat, and you just don't have enough.

Wasn't there a post earlier in the thread against a dumbass DD who would be trying to torp a 100hp ship because MUH CONCEALMENT!? :v:

I try and avoid competent cruisers because they can utterly ruin my day, DD guns can be a crapshoot unless you're rocking the Clemson and just erasing all those who stray too close to try and counter torp you. But BBs are easy to dodge from 20km if you get spotted by a plane. However I did get murdered by planes once when they dropped their torpedos in a grid and i had no way out :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

ZombieLenin posted:

So by that logic we should remove radar, sonar, and bring back stealth firing.

I'd have no problem at all with that. Also get rid of ship launched planes while you are at it.

Dude, no matter how much you cry, BBs are loving easy mode gameplay, there's a reason why so many retards play them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeC posted:

Are you dense?

I was gonna give you poo poo but then when i came back to this thread I've seen you've already made a wonderful job of making fun of yourself :allears:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Burt posted:

I'd have no problem at all with that. Also get rid of ship launched planes while you are at it.

Dude, no matter how much you cry, BBs are loving easy mode gameplay, there's a reason why so many retards play them.

I don't even play Battleships often. For the record, I was making a hyperbolic argument highlighting the logic of someone else's argument. I am totally fine with Battleship gameplay. I'm even fine with cruiser gameplay, though they are currently the weakest ship class in the game.

Literally, I was not the one who said "radar and sonar detect me and Battleship AP can pen me sometimes so I'm just going to not help my team anymore and hide in the corner." I just repeated it as if it were coming out of the mouth of a non-DD player.

Interesting when spoken in that voice it is "crying," but when spoken in the voice of a DD main, it is expressing some deep truth about how "unfair" the game is and how destroyers have it so bad. :grin:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

This is why I don't play with goons.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Divisions with high WTR goons is actually a fine experience, in my opinion.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of, do EU goons play this game or not? Is there a proper disc?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mans posted:

Speaking of, do EU goons play this game or not? Is there a proper disc?

I use the 2pac discord when I division but since I'm such a gigantic dweeb I tend to play mostly solo. Feel free to ask if I'm up for it though.

e: also there is a GOONS clan, feel free to apply to that. Asking in the clan chat is probably more reliable than asking on discord

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 12, 2017

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

ZombieLenin posted:

I don't even play Battleships often. For the record, I was making a hyperbolic argument highlighting the logic of someone else's argument. I am totally fine with Battleship gameplay. I'm even fine with cruiser gameplay, though they are currently the weakest ship class in the game.

Literally, I was not the one who said "radar and sonar detect me and Battleship AP can pen me sometimes so I'm just going to not help my team anymore and hide in the corner." I just repeated it as if it were coming out of the mouth of a non-DD player.

Interesting when spoken in that voice it is "crying," but when spoken in the voice of a DD main, it is expressing some deep truth about how "unfair" the game is and how destroyers have it so bad. :grin:

I wasn't aware you were the only person allowed to use hyperbole in this thread.

Aside from that, 10k plus hits from BB AP really does disincentive being aggressive in a DD. I don't know about you, my main experience playing DDs are in the Fletcher and Gearing. BBs at those tiers are loving scary, especially the 12 gun ones.

What makes this even worse is they don't have to make a decision on how to deal with a DD, they can just shoot AP and erase it. If I got pegged for 12k from an HE salvo I wouldn't care since they had to give up a reload to do that. It's when I get hit by 3 AP shells for 18k because they have the bullshit ability to deal multiple pens throughout my ship is when I get a bit miffed.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

There is the first Italian ship for sale on NA. the Duca D'aosta, a tier 6 prem cruiser.

No info on it as the wiki link they use is broken and it costs $30 AU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Stevefin posted:

There is the first Italian ship for sale on NA. the Duca D'aosta, a tier 6 prem cruiser.

No info on it as the wiki link they use is broken and it costs $30 AU

It has been on sale before. Similar to the la gal, but without speed boost. Main schtick is that it has fighter plane, def aa, and hydro all on seperate consumable slots. So it can provide panic aa (poor aa guns on this ship without def aa) and spot incoming torps. Still made of paper for armor.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I have one and posted a mini-review a few pages back. It's not really worth it IMO, and I don't play it much. Tier 6 isn't great for premiums at all but if you do want a T6 premium cruiser I think the best option is the Molotov. The Duca's short range and poor fire chance are not amenable to getting uptiered, and lol tier 6 matchmaking.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Look at this guy not recommending the HSF Graf Spee at t6.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
Duca unfortunately is not a great ship, with it's super long range torps and high velocity guns it should be more fun than it is. The guns just feel really weak and ineffective to me. I have all the T6 premium cruisers (ok, just the regular Graf Spee instead of the HSF one) and the only one I play a lot and would buy again is De Grasse.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Durendal posted:

Aside from that, 10k plus hits from BB AP really does disincentive being aggressive in a DD. I don't know about you, my main experience playing DDs are in the Fletcher and Gearing. BBs at those tiers are loving scary, especially the 12 gun ones.

What makes this even worse is they don't have to make a decision on how to deal with a DD, they can just shoot AP and erase it. If I got pegged for 12k from an HE salvo I wouldn't care since they had to give up a reload to do that. It's when I get hit by 3 AP shells for 18k because they have the bullshit ability to deal multiple pens throughout my ship is when I get a bit miffed.

16km fast moving torps out of those Gearings are pretty loving scary too to a ship class that has a 1km turning circle and a 15s rudder.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This is the ideal scenario for a torp-leaning destroyer. This is an isolated BB, one who's engaged a target and is not turning, keeping his bow toward the enemy. He knew I was in the area, because I capped a point without revealing myself. He sailed in a straight line for minutes. He made a series of errors that put him into the worst possible situation.

Guess how many times you get a golden shot like that at a BB? Guess how often it happens for destroyers with less forgiving concealment, and shorter range torpedoes?

I totally agree its rare, probably just as rare as those AP pens on Destroyers. I mean as a BB main, I sure as hell wish it happens as often as the DD players in this thread make it out to be. But enough with making GBS threads up this thread. I got worked up because of the incessant crying of DD players making up crazy stories that happen once a week maybe if you play this game nonstop (see above). Anytime a BB player points out life isn't super easy either, we are told its always your fault if you get torped since you are playing sniper at 20km anyways......

HFX posted:

So I ate a chat ban. I then opened a ticket. More than half the comments in it are not insulting anyone but saying things like: "you are way the gently caress out of position." "gently caress goons" "Strike Fit... Not even loving once..." Remember guys, don't use the word gently caress too much, the players of WoWs need to be coddled and have a safe space. They also can't figure out how their chat filter works.

I should also point out that my Karma increased and I got more than one compliment for helping people to make smarter choices or take better positions. Of course those don't actually count.

Which server are you on? I swear pretty regularly....at people...and I have never had a chat ban.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

kaesarsosei posted:

This is loving insane. I mean, I know Hammerstein is literally one of the best BB players on the EU server but still that's insane. Pre-nerf Midway and Hakuryu got lots of grief for potential 300k games.

Have you ever had more damage in any other ship?

Not that I can remember, although once in a while you get magical games where your Missouri or Yamato AP just shits citadels.....200K+ games are nothing out of the ordinary any more in the Conqueror.

There's a guy on Youtube named Panzerknacker and he had a 390K game recently. But he was extremely lucky and could alternate fires between 3 BB players, who rather decided to run than rush him.

Maybe I get lucky over the anniversary weekend when all the bads come out to play....

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Not that I can remember, although once in a while you get magical games where your Missouri or Yamato AP just shits citadels.....200K+ games are nothing out of the ordinary any more in the Conqueror.

There's a guy on Youtube named Panzerknacker and he had a 390K game recently. But he was extremely lucky and could alternate fires between 3 BB players, who rather decided to run than rush him.

Maybe I get lucky over the anniversary weekend when all the bads come out to play....

...You've got nearly as many games in Conqueror as you do in Yamato (meaning they should be roughly around the same statistical variance), and are sitting at an average damage just shy of 50,000 higher than your Yamato. Please stop trying to come up with excuses for how loving bullshit and OP the Conqueror is.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

MikeC posted:

16km fast moving torps out of those Gearings are pretty loving scary too to a ship class that has a 1km turning circle and a 15s rudder.

I totally agree its rare, probably just as rare as those AP pens on Destroyers. I mean as a BB main, I sure as hell wish it happens as often as the DD players in this thread make it out to be. But enough with making GBS threads up this thread. I got worked up because of the incessant crying of DD players making up crazy stories that happen once a week maybe if you play this game nonstop (see above). Anytime a BB player points out life isn't super easy either, we are told its always your fault if you get torped since you are playing sniper at 20km anyways......

Which server are you on? I swear pretty regularly....at people...and I have never had a chat ban.

Sir, SIR I asked what size drink you want. I don't think we have anything on the menu called....DDs? I'm new though, let me ask the manager.

Lord Koth posted:

...You've got nearly as many games in Conqueror as you do in Yamato (meaning they should be roughly around the same statistical variance), and are sitting at an average damage just shy of 50,000 higher than your Yamato. Please stop trying to come up with excuses for how loving bullshit and OP the Conqueror is.

He didn't?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Maybe it wasn't intended, but I kind of read, "Well, high damage games in these other battleships aren't exactly unusual either, and this one player scored an utterly insane amount of damage, but he probably got lucky with lovely targets," combined with "well, maybe it was just luck due to an anniversary weekend," as trying to completely downplay just how absurd these damage totals it's turning in are - I mean, we're getting reports of 300k+ games in the ship coming in from quite a few sources now, so this isn't some isolated and exceptional event.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

They did not. Hammerstein is acutely aware of balance problems from my conversations with them.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Lord Koth posted:

Maybe it wasn't intended, but I kind of read, "Well, high damage games in these other battleships aren't exactly unusual either, and this one player scored an utterly insane amount of damage, but he probably got lucky with lovely targets," combined with "well, maybe it was just luck due to an anniversary weekend," as trying to completely downplay just how absurd these damage totals it's turning in are - I mean, we're getting reports of 300k+ games in the ship coming in from quite a few sources now, so this isn't some isolated and exceptional event.

Anniversary event starts on Thurs.

He meant other BBs get magical (rare) high/super high damage games, but the Conq is regularly getting 200k games which is ridiculous. And to be fair, a 390k game in even the Conq probably requires a pretty bad enemy team.

Again, pretty sure they'll just nerf the fire chance.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yeah, it was my fault. Just somewhat testy since I've been wandering around on the official forums a bit recently.

Misread the first line as stating that 200k+ games weren't terribly unusual in Yamato/MO, rather than stating that 200k+ games weren't unusual any more due to Conqueror. Which colored reading through the later lines.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Didn't flamu post a 300k damage game the other day as an ap challenge with the conq?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MikeC posted:

So what, exactly, is wrong with changing it so those "rare" full penetrating hits on DDs will always be overpens? If it doesn't happen often then you as a BB main will probably never even notice the difference.

Do you feel that you need those full pens to keep DDs balanced? Will the game turn to poo poo with this small change?

What is the downside?

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, it was my fault. Just somewhat testy since I've been wandering around on the official forums a bit recently.

Misread the first line as stating that 200k+ games weren't terribly unusual in Yamato/MO, rather than stating that 200k+ games weren't unusual any more due to Conqueror. Which colored reading through the later lines.

I'm already a little sad because by the time I bother to grind out a Conqueror, they'll nerf it and I'll miss out on all those easy 300k games. :saddowns:

JuffoWup posted:

Didn't flamu post a 300k damage game the other day as an ap challenge with the conq?

Yeah, his point was that it's not just the HE, the ship as a whole is bullshit with no weaknesses. Dropping the fire chance is one nerf but they'll need to keep going.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Heartcatch posted:

Divisions with high WTR goons is actually a fine experience, in my opinion.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Lord Koth posted:

You misunderstood me, dear angry goon sir...

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 13, 2017

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Sperglord Actual posted:

This is why I don't play with goons.

You should, Discord goon ships play is best ships play

:glomp:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Just to confirm, IFHE on a Mogami is useless for the 203, and about to be nerfed into uselessness for 155? My captain now has 14 points and I gotta drop 4 on something.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Just to confirm, IFHE on a Mogami is useless for the 203, and about to be nerfed into uselessness for 155? My captain now has 14 points and I gotta drop 4 on something.

No it'll be exactly the same for 155.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

MikeC posted:

North America where its retirees and people who can't take any critism.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What's the proper way to play BBs? I have the Wyoming and Orion right now. I've finally got aiming pretty much down so I'd like to start focusing on surviving longer.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
RE: Conqueror talk. I have to admit, its borderline irrational how angry that ship makes me. I don't think I was playing when the Belfast was released so I can't compare, but the Belfast has weaknesses. IMO the Fiji is not very far behind the Belfast. The Gremmy, Nikolai, Saipan and Kutusov are the other ships that come up as being OP but at T4/5 it doesn't really matter too much and most people don't mind Saipans since they poo poo on other CVs while not being terribly OP vs surface ships.

I think the problem with Conq is that there are so many bad decisions in its design, they could nerf it in at least 2 ways and it would still be competitive:

Increase concealment by at least 2km OR nerf the heal to normal BB levels
And
Remove the 4x3x419mm gun option OR nerf the fire chance on the 419s by 50%.

I think we'd have a reasonable ship then.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What's the proper way to play BBs? I have the Wyoming and Orion right now. I've finally got aiming pretty much down so I'd like to start focusing on surviving longer.

Wyoming is the ultimate shotgun BB, past 10km you won't be able to zoom out far enough to see all your shells the dispersion is so bad. The Orion is by far the best T4 BB and probably better than the non-RN T5 BBs. Just spam HE in it.

At these tiers and with these speeds you can't afford to get isolated so try to stay in a group and in a position where if you get focused you can disengage long enough for the sheep to pick on something else.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

How the gently caress do you Tier 5 in a cruiser? In a DD its the same as before, if anything a bit easier because there's I seem to be hit far less, and concealment is better. But gently caress me, cruisers are either OP or paper tigers that are one AP away from splitting in half.

I think my flaw is I was using lower tier tactics where I would try and be right behind the DDs to be a counter DD/shell magnet. This now goes horribly wrong so I've taken to being a close support to the more aggressive BBs on my team, staying within 0.5-1km and just being the DPS/AA shield, playing Omaha/Konigsberg at the moment. But when there's an Atlanta or Belfast on the opposing team I run out of ideas.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Cancelbot posted:

How the gently caress do you Tier 5 in a cruiser? In a DD its the same as before, if anything a bit easier because there's I seem to be hit far less, and concealment is better. But gently caress me, cruisers are either OP or paper tigers that are one AP away from splitting in half.

I think my flaw is I was using lower tier tactics where I would try and be right behind the DDs to be a counter DD/shell magnet. This now goes horribly wrong so I've taken to being a close support to the more aggressive BBs on my team, staying within 0.5-1km and just being the DPS/AA shield, playing Omaha/Konigsberg at the moment. But when there's an Atlanta or Belfast on the opposing team I run out of ideas.

Tier 5 is the unholy purgatory for cruisers. It's not great for anyone but a tier 5 BB isn't getting devastating striked from across the map bar some really funky rng. You're going to run into a lot of tier 7's and an Omaha trying to deal with things like Nagato's is simply asking for a water grave. Don't try and be support for the BB's, use islands as much as possible and keep back. Your best bet is waiting for the herd to thin somewhat so you can avoid taking some random devestating strike from half way across the map from some BB that saw an Omaha and goes "oooh, easy meat"

edit : let's check this actually.

Omaha, Marblehead, Murmansk. You're paper, prepare to die and the guns... they're aright i guess but best for setting fires rather than nuking things
Kirov. You're paper and not very manoeuvrable either. Prepare to die. Guns are fairly good though so it's got that going for it.
Emerald. Ahahahahahahahaha. Sit in a smoke screen, flail ineffectually at stuff for a bit, die. Maybe torp something if you get lucky.
Furutaka. Pretty good actually. DO NOT SHOW YOUR SIDES. Torp runs are the domain of the demented, suicidal and the really loving good. They are for getting stuff chasing you to piss off.
Konigsberg. Kind of like the Kirov actually in that it's fragile with good guns. More fragile even but also better at the whole retreating and kiting stick.
Emile Bertin. Reasonably good from what i remember, not so fragile as one might expect but you still need care.
No idea on the Russian tier 5, never played it.

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 13, 2017

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Emile Bertin is pretty fun to play, if things go sour you can be a kiting rear end in a top hat and no one will catch you

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Which Cruiser are you trying to do at T5? If its the Omaha i would suggest abandoning all hope or free Xping to the cleveland, because it sucks really badly. I really liked the Konigsberg because of its funky turret arrangements you can snake to evade and keep all your guns firing as you advance which is really nice as a feature, just spam HE. You just need to never ever stop changing course and never be in front because if you do someone will delete you in a second, even then sometimes people will do so anyway.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Yeah Omaha, I really enjoyed the Phoenix so I thought it'd be even better :v:

I do enjoy the Konigsberg due to its guns but I will try staying back more than becoming an easy kill for someone. French cruisers have been a hoot so far but I'm only at T3 so I'll see about ramping them up, same for British. My play style is usually aggressive because I get annoyed at people who don't cap in domination games, which does not work if i'm getting murdered from 17km out by floating death-fortresses because a DD spotted me and I can't see them.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 13, 2017

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

Omaha and Murmansk can still be useful. You should never ever stop wiggling like literally ever. The gun setup makes it work. Barring that go head on because you get five guns forward.

It's hard mode for sure, but that will make you a better player.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cancelbot posted:

Yeah Omaha, I really enjoyed the Phoenix so I thought it'd be even better :v:

Omaha is the textbook example of power creep victim. It is just like a Phoenix but better, and once upon a time that was a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Getting to T5 cruisers for the first time is a crash course in Not Getting Deleted By Battleships. At first it might seem like you just explode all the time, but you can actually get away with quite a lot if you play your cards right.

Quick tips:
- The Priority Target captain skill is mandatory on all cruisers, do not even attempt to play without it.
- If at all possible, never be among the first ships to get spotted. If that means you have to play really passive for the first two-three minutes of the game, then so be it. Don't rush into/up to caps if you're not sure you can get behind cover safely.
- Use terrain, and use stealth. Ideally, you never really want to fight in the open - always try to fire from behind an island (or smokescreen). Always have an exit strategy; either retreating into cover or retreating into stealth. Ideally you don't want to be within your non-firing detection range of enemy battleships, or at least not within 10km (some low tier cruisers have really awful concealment).
- You must be aware of what the enemy battleships are doing and from what angles they can shoot at you where you currently are. The minimap is your best friend. You should turn on circles for your own spotting distance as well as ship name labels.
- Between every salvo of your main guns, try to look at the minimap (and/or hold down RMB to temporarily look around you without losing your aim in sniper view) and see what's going on around you. If at all possible, never show broadside to battleships that can potentially shoot at you.
- If you do get shot at or if the Priority Target numbers start rising above 2-3, try to make yourself a difficult target to shoot at. Sail away, show a small profile, etc. Pubbie battleship captains tend to have severe attention span problems and love big numbers, so if you're not looking like you're gonna get devastating strike'd anytime soon, they usually give up trying to shoot you after a salvo or two.
- Focus on trying to survive, not on trying to fight it out. Low tier cruisers have the staying power of a wet noodle and need to conserve hitpoints at all costs.

Cruiser gameplay at low tiers is quite unforgiving and requires patience and rather deliberate play to get somewhere, at least when you're uptiered. If you're top tier at T5 though you can still get away with yoloing sometimes.

I'm also an Omaha apologist (or, well, rather a Murmansk apologist since I haven't played the Omaha since just after release - the Murmansk is better, but not by a whole lot). The key to that ship is the extremely fast rudder shift and small turning circle - dodge, a lot. Also, you have American ballistics and decent range, so abuse island cover as much as you can - you can shoot over a lot of things.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 13, 2017