Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
Speaking of taxi squads Straight Bass I want Carson and I ll start him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Swarmin Swedes posted:

Speaking of taxi squads Straight Bass I want Carson and I ll start him

Do the email piece too.

Cuz I will do it if you dont.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 12, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I will keep and start him y'all can gently caress off. How long do I have to promote him before I lose him? I'll love to trade one of Mosely/Timmons/Jordy if anyone wants them so I can clear a roster spot. I tried to drop Turbin but out wouldn't let me

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ohohoh, we're getting off to an early start this year!

:frogsiren:I'm stealing TJ Watt from First Down Syndrome:frogsiren:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I will keep and start him y'all can gently caress off. How long do I have to promote him before I lose him? I'll love to trade one of Mosely/Timmons/Jordy if anyone wants them so I can clear a roster spot. I tried to drop Turbin but out wouldn't let me

You have 72 hours to make the decision, and then you'll have to promote him to your bench and start him in his next game. That's enough time to do Wednesday waivers before you move him off taxi.

You should be able to drop Turbin now?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

You have 72 hours to make the decision, and then you'll have to promote him to your bench and start him in his next game. That's enough time to do Wednesday waivers before you move him off taxi.

"FRANCHISE OWNERS DO NOT HAVE PLAYER DROP RIGHTS IN THIS LEAGUE"

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I fuggin hate you guys. I been on vaca, will start Babywatt when the stupid kids go to bed.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

When does the stealer have to make room for the steal?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Stealing Watson from leperfishy.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I have some interest in jordy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

When does the stealer have to make room for the steal?

Only after the steal is confirmed, e.g., the owner waives his right to promote the player and start him, or doesn't respond for 72 hours.

Since you can't announce a steal until tuesday morning at the earliest, you always will have through the wendesday waiver wire transaction before you're forced to clear a roster spot. If someone waits till after the Wed run to announce a steal, +72 hours takes you through the Saturday waivers, so again you can use waivers to help clear a spot.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

"FRANCHISE OWNERS DO NOT HAVE PLAYER DROP RIGHTS IN THIS LEAGUE"

Did you already fix this? It looks to me like all owners have the right to drop players. I'm looking at the General Add/Drop Setup and the Franchise Abilities screens and everything seems to be in order.

e. Wait nope I found it! Drop is different from add/drop. Of course it is. Teemu please try again.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 12, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I didn't touch anything. I was able to submit waiver claims with him if I wanted but wasn't able to drop him outright. Maybe my phone is just being screwy?

e: ok gonna try now

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ok whatever you did worked I'm good now

Now...If you stealin bitches wanna trade for Carson...... :unsmigghh:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just been checking the rules, and I was off on something:

You have to announce a steal at least 72 hours before the player's next game. However, the owner you're stealing from has 48 hours in which to respond, not 72. See rule 9.9.2:

quote:

The owner of the player then has up to 48 hours to block your steal attempt. The only way to block a steal attempt is to commit to starting that player in his next NFL game. That means you must promote the player - dropping players as necessary to make roster space and/or cap space - and then put that player into a starting spot and leave him there until his game locks.

Note that this also means you can't block a steal by trading the player away. That would permit you to both benefit from a trade, and avoid starting the player, which is against the intention of the taxi squad theft rules.

Similarly, rule 9.15 says

quote:

If you successfully steal a taxi squad player, you cannot avoid starting that player by trading him away.
So this rule applies equally to the owner stealing the taxi player: he can't get away with not starting the dude, at least once.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Since you can't announce a steal until tuesday morning at the earliest, you always will have through the wendesday waiver wire transaction before you're forced to clear a roster spot. If someone waits till after the Wed run to announce a steal, +72 hours takes you through the Saturday waivers, so again you can use waivers to help clear a spot.

How does this interact with the 72h rule and Thursday games? Thursday night players are immune from getting stolen? (because you can't claim on Monday's)?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

How does this interact with the 72h rule and Thursday games? Thursday night players are immune from getting stolen? (because you can't claim on Monday's)?

Hmmm.

Reading carefully, the only rule is 72 hours before the player's next game. Presumably you can issue a theft on Monday, although of course not for any player who is playing Monday night. But I don't think the NFL ever schedules teams to play both Monday night, and the Thursday of the same week, so there should always be a window.

Really this is exposing a minor flaw: for non-MNF playing players, you can initiate a theft early enough that the owner responding won't have a waiver period before they have to make a decision and (presumably) clear roster space. We should probably formalize exactly when - after making a decision to keep or trade away - the transaction takes place, and thus, the owner(s) have to clear roster space.

What do you guys think of this?

After an owner decides to keep a player on his taxi squad that another owner tried to steal, he has until that player's next game to clear roster space so the player can be promoted to the bench, and start. (He can do this by demoting an eligible rookie, moving an eligible player to IR, performing a waiver transaction, performing a trade, or by dropping a player, or some combination of those.)
After an owner successfully steals a player by virtue of the player's original owner waiving his right to keep, or the 48 hour decision period expiring, that owner must clear a spot on his roster within 24 hours before the player's game will start, in order for the transaction to take place.

Note that from the perspective of the owner giving up the stolen taxi squad player, they have an interest in the transaction happening quickly because it frees up a taxi squad slot. However, the owner stealing the taxi squad player ought to have some reasonable period in which to decide who to drop and/or demote and/or trade away, before being forced to make a drop. The tension between these competing interests should probably be settled to benefit the owner being stolen from, yes?

The 24 hours is just to make sure some commissioner is available to perform the move, with time to spare so the player can be started.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 13, 2017

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I'd say there's no reason to not allow drops at any time, a waiver period shouldn't be necessary to clear space (you don't need to add/drop, just drop)

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
brandon marshall and his 1 reception can go eat a bag of dix

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

I'd say there's no reason to not allow drops at any time, a waiver period shouldn't be necessary to clear space (you don't need to add/drop, just drop)

Oh yeah drops are allowed all the time. But a waiver period gives an owner a chance to adjust the roster composition based on the outcome - or anticipated outcome - of the theft.

For the guy being stolen from, you for example could try to replace the rookie being stolen with a player you think is similar, and then if you don't get that replacement (you're outbid), you decide to keep the guy being stolen.

For the guy stealing, you're gonna be obliged to start this rookie, it's nice to know before the last waiver period that you're not getting him so you can go to the wire to get a replacement, since it's presumably a position of need.

But yeah it may be too much of a hassle to try and make sure everyone always has a chance to do a waiver before making a decision. And if you're stealing a player, you ought to have a plan for how you'll free the roster slot already.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

The bigger issue is stealing players where the slot was played on a Thursday. Say, for example,that I had two DE on KCC, one of whom was a rookie. What if you hit steal on the rookie right after the Thursday game? I probably wouldn't want to roster 2 DE, but I can't drop to promote the other off my taxi squad until after monday. Or even if the rookie plays Monday and my roster slot played Thursday, you could initiate the steal Friday AM and the slot it would go in isn't available (say it's a QB).

Maybe in those cases the stealee is allowed to designate the player would start in the following week?

Zauper fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 13, 2017

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Hopefully you'll be able to set your lineup. There's probably a player or two on your taxi squad worth stealing, maybe, but I'm not really sure. I'm inclined to accept "being affected by natural disaster" as a taxi squad lock for a week: what do the other commissioners think?

Update

We're hooked up to a neighbor's generator, so I don't need to worry about conserving phone battery. As long as we have 48 hours to respond, I feel confident I can protect a player.

Thank you all for understanding and accommodating. Steal away!

Spermy, thanks for offering to set my lineup. I didn't think of that. I probably would have gotten to it at some point.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have finished bottom 4 two years running. Unsure I was offering to help or hinder

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Stealing haason reddick from first down syndrome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

The bigger issue is stealing players where the slot was played on a Thursday. Say, for example,that I had two DE on KCC, one of whom was a rookie. What if you hit steal on the rookie right after the Thursday game? I probably wouldn't want to roster 2 DE, but I can't drop to promote the other off my taxi squad until after monday. Or even if the rookie plays Monday and my roster slot played Thursday, you could initiate the steal Friday AM and the slot it would go in isn't available (say it's a QB).

Maybe in those cases the stealee is allowed to designate the player would start in the following week?

Yeah I think the intent is that the original owner has to make the decision quickly... but it's obviously wrong to require them to perform the promotion from their taxi squad before the roster lock even permits them to do that.

I think one thing we could consider is just designating a specific "theft period" for taxi squad players. Like, always on tuesdays or something? I worry owners will just always clear roster space, stick valuable rookies on rosters through tuesday, and then stash them back on the squad in time for wednesday waivers, or something. I dunno. The other solutions are more complex. What we have now probably still works, at least by intent: the 48 hour response prevents forces you to make a decision fast enough for the owner making the steal to have a reasonable amount of time to figure out his lineup once he knows whether he's getting that player or not. But we can make the actual roster moves/drops/etc. fit into the rest of the weekly schedule wherever it makes the most sense.

Zauper pointed out another omission in the rules: although 9.15 shows the intent that the owner stealing the player has to start him, I somehow lost track of or didn't put in earlier in section 9 that when you steal a player, you have to start that player that week.

One more thing I'm just now noticing. I went out of my way to get rookies cheaper by trading back out of the first round, but... the more expensive your taxi squad guys, the harder it is for a team with little cap space to make a steal. There's taxi squad guys I can't steal without being forced to clear cap space. I like that, mind you, I'm just saying it hadn't really occurred to me as a factor for rookie salaries.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 13, 2017

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have no idea on Reddick. Let me look tonight. I draft lucky in round 10+ and you jagoffs take my entire taxi squad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm looking to deal DeAndre Washington, to clear cap space. Since I need to clear cap space, I'm looking for: taxi-squad eligible rookies, cheap guys, and draft picks. Washington is a good RB, a handcuff for Beast Mode, with a bright career ahead of him. His salary is currently $9.

Also available: Andy Dalton.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I'm looking to deal DeAndre Washington, to clear cap space. Since I need to clear cap space, I'm looking for: taxi-squad eligible rookies, cheap guys, and draft picks. Washington is a good RB, a handcuff for Beast Mode, with a bright career ahead of him. His salary is currently $9.

Also available: Andy Dalton.

Doubt you'll get many takers. $9 for a backup that would be in a full blown rbbc if the #1 got injured? He was out touched in the first game by Richard.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Or just drop Alex Smith because he isn't fooling anyone with his one good game per year.

6 to 16 Is what you can expect. Couple games of 20ish, and he already had his blowout game so that's done for the year.

He isn't the dude you want to start at QB if you been having flakey qb play.

He was my best and most aggravating qb last year and I couldn't take it anymore.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I just grabbed Smith in this waivers. He may be a bust and I may drop him in two weeks, but for today I want Smith on my roster.

Washington probably isn't a good value this year, but he's good enough to have a long career in the NFL. I'd be offering him up as a multi-year stash, which is what I have him for in the first place, but I'm salary crunched if I want to start DeShaun.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Stealing Watson from leperfishy.

Just marking this as about 24 hours old now. I will probably start him if I can clear cap space in a way I like, but I have another 24 hours to make my final decision.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Come to papa.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Just marking this as about 24 hours old now. I will probably start him if I can clear cap space in a way I like, but I have another 24 hours to make my final decision.

You currently have 5(?) QBs rostered and 2 on taxi squad. He's probably coming for trubisky next week if you save Watson. Maybe work out a deal with him?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He'd have to start trub. The man isn't playing right now, so that'd be essentially committing suicide that week, which... I guess is within the rules, since you're supposed to balance long-term success against this-season success, but I'm not sure he's ready to tank the season just to grab the Bears' rookie QB, just yet.

And for the record, I have 7 QBs.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Don't test my petty-ness.

You made me promote and start TJ. Some other dickbag is going to make me promote and start Reddick.

That's two rookie linebackers I will be starting. The week is lost already. I will start a bench player no fuckin problem at this point.

And no one wants to trade for my 3 veteran linebackers so what the poo poo people.

It's strictly a spite thing at this point.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 13, 2017

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I'd trade for a vet lb.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Don't test my petty-ness.

You made me promote and start TJ. Some other dickbag is going to make me promote and start Reddick.

That's two rookie linebackers I will be starting. The week is lost already. I will start a bench player no fuckin problem at this point.

And no one wants to trade for my 3 veteran linebackers so what the poo poo people.

It's strictly a spite thing at this point.

Well you're already trying to steal one guy from me this week so you can't try to steal another until next week. ;)

Also this is sort of by design, taxi squad is for stashing guys who aren't useful yet. TJ Watt is clearly useful now, and I don't think starting him tanks you this week - if anything it may be an upgrade. That was a monster first week for him and I expect him to finish the year in the top twenty, if that was anything to go by. DeShaun may be useful now too (I personally think the jury is still out, but he's a starting QB and that's not nothing).

So don't be angry! This is just a result of you drafting really well, right? It's a validation of your good decisions about rookies. If you decide to try to steal Trub next week, that's clearly not in your interests for winning this year, which... I guess is also part of the deal with taxi squads, you can't horde players that rebuilding teams need while simultaneously maintaining a full bench of startable players. If I want to keep anyone from stealing my taxi guys, all I have to do is drop three players and promote them.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It's all about knee-jerk reactions and spite on this side of the screen though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha yeah. I'm sure that's the right approach for all your future championships :)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have won the same amount of championships you have.

It seems to be working for me.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I'm interested

Zauper posted:

I'd trade for a vet lb.

Mosely and Timmons are both available I saw your PM, I haven't had a chance to respond yet