Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He could've been a little more appealing, I think it was a mistake to leave him as overtly scary as he was. I love the sudden weirdness in King's prose when it's simply described as "there was a clown in the drain" and the thudding juxtaposition almost makes sense in a kid way - sure, of course the clown got blown into the drain, it's so windy! On the other hand I kinda like the sense of being in between perspectives as viewers, so we see both the freakish reality and are given the privilege of understanding it's charming, hypnotic aspects (this would've been kinda fun in 3D - one side fades a little into monstrousness so you have the clown and the demon overlapping).

The new IT is obviously a better movie but I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda prefer the Georgie scene from the original. I think it captures that juxtaposition you're talking about a little better, the way Tim Curry's Pennywise is just spotless and cheerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUPq6X-Y1Kg&t=106s

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Punch Drunk Drewsky posted:

You can see a lot of stuff like this if you take a slave quarter / plantation tour in South Carolina. There are some folks who want to keep the Antebellum "prestige" intact. Then there are dilapidated monstrosities of Spanish moss and lord knows how many venomous things lurking inside.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this adaptation shifted to a town like Summerville then the Mike stuff might play better. That's a place in the '80s where the slaughter house outsourcing and "You don't belong in our town" was still active on into when I lived there in the mid-'90s. I know, book fidelity and blah blah blah, but I also don't want to discount the power of having these kinds of lurking menaces in the supposedly more enlightened north. Overall it's for the best it stayed with Derry but the mind wanders on possibilities.

I think you are misunderstanding the criticism of Mike in this movie. Each of the Losers has a distinct characteristic which makes them an outcast in the community. One kid has a stutter, you have the fat new kid, you have the Jewish kid. With Mike, there's something about him that I can't quite put my finger on, oh that's it, he's homeschooled. It's silly, and it's not done for the benefit or accommodation of black audiences.

Like, let's examine, "you don't belong in our town." Yeah everybody gets it, but this phrasing doesn't specifically address the elephant in the room, and thus doesn't really challenge anybody or make anybody uncomfortable. There's enough wiggle room that you don't even have to believe that racism is an issue with Mike. Bowers is an rear end in a top hat to everybody, and since he doesn't say any bigoted terminology to Mike, well then he's not a racist.

Contrast that to "your kind don't belong in our town," or "you don't belong in our town, n------." Either one of those is exponentially more loaded and make it quite explicit why Mike is an outcast. Either one would have been completely in character for Bowers. The problem with Mike isn't that people don't believe that people in Derry would be racist, it's that the film tiptoes so delicately around the topic of racism. As a result a very important part of Mike's being is significantly diminished

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The new IT is obviously a better movie but I'd be lying if I said I didn't kinda prefer the Georgie scene from the original. I think it captures that juxtaposition you're talking about a little better, the way Tim Curry's Pennywise is just spotless and cheerful.

One of my unexpected favorite moments in this new movie is when Mike is being attacked and he looks up and sees Pennywise in the bushes, grinning and waving what looks like a doll hand (?) which nails that tone of menacing clowning without overt horror.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

One of my unexpected favorite moments in this new movie is when Mike is being attacked and he looks up and sees Pennywise in the bushes, grinning and waving what looks like a doll hand (?) which nails that tone of menacing clowning without overt horror.

Yeah, that moment also did a good job of capturing "Pennywise is everything wrong with this town" in an image too.

(although I'm pretty sure it was an actual severed arm, not a doll hand)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, that moment also did a good job of capturing "Pennywise is everything wrong with this town" in an image too.

That would make sense. I actually thought it was a dildo for a moment, lmao. So floppy!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pennywise waving with the hand is the funniest thing.

IT was the Elm Street remake I was craving years ago.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

The fake Georgie calls the boat "It" and Bill corrects to "she."

Book spoilers:
Which if you want to stretch things could be foreshadowing that It is feminine.

That didn't even register as a clue for me because having a daughter around Georgie's age, you need to remind them of little things like that over and over, even if they think it's the best thing in the world.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

That didn't even register as a clue for me because having a daughter around Georgie's age, you need to remind them of little things like that over and over, even if they think it's the best thing in the world.

I have a son Georgie's age, and hell, same.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Specifically Eddie Corcoran's

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Nroo posted:

Specifically Eddie Corcoran's

Oh, really? Did I miss a detail there?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, really? Did I miss a detail there?

The scene during the parade one of the characters mentions that his arm was found chewed up in the Barrens. It's when they notice his Missing sign pasted over Betty Ripsom's (another great visual)

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

Simplex posted:

Contrast that to "your kind don't belong in our town," or "you don't belong in our town, n------." Either one of those is exponentially more loaded and make it quite explicit why Mike is an outcast. Either one would have been completely in character for Bowers. The problem with Mike isn't that people don't believe that people in Derry would be racist, it's that the film tiptoes so delicately around the topic of racism. As a result a very important part of Mike's being is significantly diminished

The previous is what Henry yells at him outside the meat shop though (not the latter.) Mike's visions and his stories of the previous shooting also address it, to say nothing of the Killer of Sheep allusion. If ya'll don't think those are effective enough, fine, but to say it tiptoes around it when we've got dialogue, stories, and visuals combined with an arc of overcoming the bigoted monster it's addressed directly.

It's not like Ritchie has a bunch of scenes where the bullies call him four eyes or whatever. Mike's issues are dealt with way more directly, especially compared to Stan's problems (which I liked a lot in the abstract but they don't say a ton about him.)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought he said "Get the gently caress outta my town." Which does seem a bit sanitized to me, I dunno.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Martman posted:

I thought he said "Get the gently caress outta my town." Which does seem a bit sanitized to me, I dunno.

I definitely could be not remembering it correctly. But let's go with this, Henry yelled, "Get the gently caress out of my town." We've got emboldened bigots across the country yelling, "Get the gently caress out of my country," at PoC regardless of whether they were born here or not.

Hell, Steve Bannon just gave that painful Charlie Rose interview where he was adding a layer of gloss to the same sentiment. "Get the gently caress out of my town (country)" is blatantly racist, and (to me at least) is less sanitized than "Your kind don't belong here" or a similar statement that would come off as almost faux Western dialogue ("We don't take kindly to your type" etc.)

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

You can see a lot of stuff like this if you take a slave quarter / plantation tour in South Carolina. There are some folks who want to keep the Antebellum "prestige" intact. Then there are dilapidated monstrosities of Spanish moss and lord knows how many venomous things lurking inside.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this adaptation shifted to a town like Summerville then the Mike stuff might play better. That's a place in the '80s where the slaughter house outsourcing and "You don't belong in our town" was still active on into when I lived there in the mid-'90s. I know, book fidelity and blah blah blah, but I also don't want to discount the power of having these kinds of lurking menaces in the supposedly more enlightened north. Overall it's for the best it stayed with Derry but the mind wanders on possibilities.

Yeah, the Neibolt house never appeared uncanny to me at all. Have you guys driven through the Rust Belt or The South lately? There are plenty of poverty-stricken neighborhoods full of homes looking like that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

RedSpider posted:

Yeah, the Neibolt house never appeared uncanny to me at all. Have you guys driven through the Rust Belt or The South lately? There are plenty of poverty-stricken neighborhoods full of homes looking like that.

And any one of them could he host to a child eating clown demon. :tinfoil:

Also, Henry had a MAGA hat in spirit.

E:

I definitely could be not remembering it correctly. But let's go with this, Henry yelled, "Get the gently caress out of my town." We've got emboldened bigots across the country yelling, "Get the gently caress out of my country," at PoC regardless of whether they were born here or not.

Hell, Steve Bannon just gave that painful Charlie Rose interview where he was adding a layer of gloss to the same sentiment. "Get the gently caress out of my town (country)" is blatantly racist, and (to me at least) is less sanitized than "Your kind don't belong here" or a similar statement that would come off as almost faux Western dialogue ("We don't take kindly to your type" etc.)

There's also Henry telling him that he regretted not starting the fire that killed his parents himself.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 13, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The kid who played Georgie was at the Phoenix Alamo Drafthouse last week and filmed this "Don't Talk In The Theater" PSA.

I'm also very disappointed in myself for not being on top of this, otherwise I would have gone to one of those showings and told him how rad he and his costars were in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATr6HomDNQc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kids got Shannon Doherty syndrome

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Just saw it today. Still a few missteps in adaptation but drat if they didn't do a good job in other areas.

I feel like everyone is going to compare Pennywises at this point. Looking back, Curry was definitely playing a manipulative adult being a scary clown. This version feels a lot more animalistic, which is both better and worse for various reasons.

Richie was spot on. Stan and Mike were given nothing to do (though I felt like a lot of the scenes with Stan were subtly foreshadowing his role in Chapter Two).

And everyone with Georgie was perfect. My wife was bawling her eyes out because it was so tragic.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MariusLecter posted:

And any one of them could he host to a child eating clown demon. :tinfoil:

Also, Henry had a MAGA hat in spirit.

E:

There's also Henry telling him that he regretted not starting the fire that killed his parents himself.

Yeah Henry's poo poo is not even remotely subtle. And it does make me think that it will be revealed to not have been an accident in part 2.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Bad

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Can I watch the IT miniseries from 1990 anywhere online? Is it worth tracking down? I liked the new movie.

(I was thinking about starting the book yesterday, but picked up The Stand instead. It's quite long!)

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

There was basically 0 character development. If you haven't read the book I have no idea how you're supposed to get any of this.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

Can I watch the IT miniseries from 1990 anywhere online? Is it worth tracking down? I liked the new movie.

(I was thinking about starting the book yesterday, but picked up The Stand instead. It's quite long!)

You can rent it for a couple of bucks on Youtube.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The main problem with the film is that people are talking about it in terms like "Beverley was captured by Pennywise and that makes her a damsel in distress", instead of "what does it mean to be captured by Pennywise?"

The idea of a girl being kidnapped is considered incomprehensibly bizarre, while the existence of the shapeshifting alien clown that consumes emotions is taken for granted.

So, to be clear: this film is pretty strictly a remake of It Follows, although in that Krampus style. Making Beverley a victim of a past rape by her father recontextualizes the fact that hers is the only fear that is not anthropomorphized. She is the only one who is actually traumatized and actually having hallucinations [the clogged-drain imagery from classics like Psycho, The Conversation, and (specifically) CHUD]. The other kids are just playing and 'playing along', trying to get a grasp on what Beverley is going through.

When whatshisface, Egg Boy, reenacts the hair-clog scene at the end, he fills in the void with a cartoonishly spooky mummy. This is not horror; it's a Toy Story - it's the "riddikulus!" scene from Harry Potter 3. It's kids coping with 'grown-up' issues through play. (The psycho bully is, as a contrast, entirely characterized by his inability to play. He's compelled to hurt things 'for real'.)

The point is that, when Beverley finally sees the clown, this simply signals her regression to a more childlike state. IT is patently not a science fiction film where fantasies are materialized as living nightmares (e.g. Galaxy Of Terror, Solaris, Prometheus...). Beverley vanishes immediately after she smashes her abusive father in the face and implicitly becomes homeless. The ending is effectively just the other kids coming to cheer her up.

That's why the film reads primarily as a 'fantasy adventure'. It's about fear in the same way as, like, Batman Begins. But even that film had a 'fear gas'. IT is way more coy about what is actually causing this silliness.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 13, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DorianGravy posted:

I think its worth streaming or downloading, theres a lot of cheese to it, but there are a few things about it that I still think were done better than the new film. You should also read the book, as nice of a job as they do in the film trying to paint you a picture of this town and these characters, its quick snapshots compared to this world thats build up in the book. I like the stand, I like a lot of his books, but one of the things King does best is building a world in your mind, and IT does it better than any of his other books. You really get a sense of this place inside and out.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

In the Georgie scene It didn't even say "float."

gently caress

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

There was basically 0 character development. If you haven't read the book I have no idea how you're supposed to get any of this.

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like they were filing in plot details from memory as the movie went along.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt like they were filing in plot details from memory as the movie went along.

It says "beep beep, Richie"

NOBODY ELSE DOES

Richie also refers to himself as "Trashmouth" once and literally nobody else ever does.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

joylessdivision posted:

The movie does this a couple of times, I think. Unless I missed it, they don't even set up Bill's stuttering mantra. So it's basically a distracting easter egg.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The movie does this a couple of times, I think. Unless I missed it, they don't even set up Bill's stuttering mantra. So it's basically a distracting easter egg.

He does it like five times.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The characters are completely indistinguishable. Ben helping with the dam would have done so much for this movie.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He does it like five times.

Like half way through the movie.

And yeah, Pennywise saying "Beep Beep Richie" was real weird.

I realize what I wanted was a bigger budget, better made version of the kid half of the TV movie.

I got "Creepy Clown Movie" instead. At least there's always the book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

joylessdivision posted:

Like half way through the movie.

He does it at the beginning of the movie.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

She is the only one who is actually traumatized and actually having hallucinations [the clogged-drain imagery from classics like Psycho, The Conversation, and (specifically) CHUD]. The other kids are just playing and 'playing along', trying to get a grasp on what Beverley is going through.

(The psycho bully is, as a contrast, entirely characterized by his inability to play. He's compelled to hurt things 'for real'.)

On the first, I think that - aside from the Ben issues - this is why her earliest scenes hit me. Specifically, "You did this to me.". Makes it clear she's working on a register of trauma the other kids can only imagine.

The second bit I quoted is just a point I really dig.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He does it at the beginning of the movie.

His stuttering exercises are never explained. If you haven't read the book I don't know how you'd know it matters.

The bike being named "Silver" also never matters in the movie.

I haven't been this disappointed by a movie in a very long time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Anyone else kinda hoping for an extended cut when it comes to... digital streaming services, I guess.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

His stuttering exercises are never explained. If you haven't read the book I don't know how you'd know it matters.

Trauma, and speech therapy, sometimes involves the use of grounding exercises to get control of your situation. Some folks use a mantra, like Bill, and then you've got folks like me who think primarily in visuals so I picture my stuffed Vivi doll, describe its features, then start describing my immediate surroundings while reminding myself I'm safe.

TLDR: it's a common therapeutic practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm hoping for a version where the monster says "float" even once.

• Locked thread