Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Solitair posted:

Yikes.

Does that preclude any future LPs of Rimworld?

Unless a mod bans it, no. Some people just don't care about controversies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Teledahn posted:

I can't speak to the LP, I didn't see it, but if I recall the issues around Rimworld had a basis in the sexual orientation of the virtual colonists. By default something like 10% of the male population was bisexual or gay while the female population was something like 10% gay and 50+% bisexual. (I can't be sure, it was some time ago but the proportions were just crazy) Plus there was a mood debuff around 'rejecting sexual advances' and corresponding 'being rejected', exacerbated by the colonists hitting on anyone they were attracted to with no consideration of the recipient's leanings. These conditions caused many otherwise stable colonies to result in absurd scenarios where there was a considerable population of gay/bisexual women pairs whom hated and were hated by a large population of single, angry, depressed, rejected men.

The real controversy was when the developer, rather than admit "Yea it's in development these numbers aren't final" claimed that this was a realistic portrayal of gender relations because it was "true in his experience". Or similar.

Basically; the dev needs a counsellor, or at least someone to give him a smack and tell him to grow up.

When you say "true in his experience", though, that's incorrect. Tynan never said that at all. Like someone else stated, he actually posted a rebuttal that goes through the accusations point by point, which I can provide for you if you like. It can be found here if you're curious. The only thing Tynan is really guilty of in this respect is faulty coding and using research based off of dating sites, which he even admitted probably wasn't the best basis, but it was all he had. And he's even stated he'll be changing things around in the code to fix the controversial elements, because those are not the way he meant them. It's kinda funny, since Tynan had in the past even defended bi-sexuality against people who didn't believe it existed, but here he's being accused of being one of those people just because of code that was misconstrued.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Danaru posted:

IIRC Tynan did actually apologize after his original knee-jerk defensiveness, and showed the research he did to get the numbers (dating sites and the like :rolleyes:), so at least he did it out of ignorance, not malice.

Yeah, I saw that post he made on Reddit. It seems legit to me.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Unless a mod bans it, no. Some people just don't care about controversies.

Honestly, this is one of the weakest controversies I've seen, and it looks like everything's been settled now. So I'd like to reaffirm my request for a Rimworld LP.

Edit: There are also mods like Psychology that change Rimworld's gender mechanics from what Tynan put in and unfortunately isn't willing to change himself. Maybe use one of those.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 18, 2017

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Mecha_Face posted:

When you say "true in his experience", though, that's incorrect. Tynan never said that at all.
Ah, my mistake. I was reading a second hand account that detailed the probability functions and their implications, not the developer's own words. Also; months ago.

quote:

The only thing Tynan is really guilty of in this respect is faulty coding and using research based off of dating sites, which he even admitted probably wasn't the best basis, but it was all he had. And he's even stated he'll be changing things around in the code to fix the controversial elements, because those are not the way he meant them. It's kinda funny, since Tynan had in the past even defended bi-sexuality against people who didn't believe it existed, but here he's being accused of being one of those people just because of code that was misconstrued.
Glad to hear it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Solitair posted:

Rimworld seems like it would be a great platform for an LP, so I'm surprised that nobody's tried it yet. It's like a sci-fi Dwarf Fortress, and I know how successful that game's been on here.

Every time I see this I misread it as Ringworld and I think. Well that might be an interesting game to LP, though it might be hard to get into with how old it is and if you haven't read the Ringworld novels.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

I skimmed the last few pages, so I apologize if I missed it, but I'd like to request that someone LP Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Fair warning, the game is very hard to get through because of its depiction of mental illness.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Can I request an instructional Hearts of Iron IV LP like the ones we've had previously for Crusader Kings II & Victoria II?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 25, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd like to request Dragon Valor, an old action RPG for the PS1 with a branching plot and multiple generations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah. The Sexy Brutale finished up like two weeks back. That can go off the list.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh yeah. The Sexy Brutale finished up like two weeks back. That can go off the list.

Cheers!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sel Nar posted:

Fair warning, the game is very hard to get through because of its depiction of mental illness.

Uh, what? :stare:

I'm tempted to do Rimworld. A succession LP a la the DF ones might be awkward, but I could probably work something fun out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's a game about a warrior who's been deeply traumatized, and how she survives her psychosis.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

Teledahn posted:

Ah, my mistake. I was reading a second hand account that detailed the probability functions and their implications, not the developer's own words. Also; months ago.

Glad to hear it.

Yup! Just remember, when someone says something on the internet, it always pays to doublecheck before you take it as gospel truth. ESPECIALLY when it's someone's reputation on the line. But I second Rimworld, it's a great game, especially if you already love Dwarf Fortress.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's a game about a warrior who's been deeply traumatized, and how she survives her psychosis.

Pretty much; The developers went to great pains to accurately depict a combination of PTSD and Paranoid Schizophrenia, as filtered through Pictish Society of the early 11th century.

For people with diagnosed mental health issues, the game is very exhausting on an emotional and mental level.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Requesting someone LP Renowned Explorers: International Society so I don't have to when I finish my current LP in the year 2020.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Also requesting rimworld. I think part of the sexuality problem is that the three traits: Gay, Misandrist, and misogynist are treated as negative trait that doesn't provide benefits for the restriction and/or downfall.

I would recommend reroll if you get those traits for the lp if you don't use psychology mod.

Edit: now might be a good time to ask what mod to use for the lp.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 23, 2017

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
TheLastRoboKy has started a Prey (2017) playthrough here, so it can be removed from the list.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Requesting an LP of Armored Commander.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Roro posted:

TheLastRoboKy has started a Prey (2017) playthrough here, so it can be removed from the list.

Don't you mean a Preythrough? :v:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see an interactive LP of Warsim: The Realm of Aslona

It's texted based, procedural generated nature makes it perfect LP fodder. (Imagine King of Dragon Pass meets Dwarf Fortress)

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 30, 2017

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've been binge-listening to the soundtrack to The Dark Spire, a dungeon crawler for the Nintendo DS, and now I'm kinda curious to see what it looks like in action. As for whether it's a VLP/SSLP, I've no particular preference; I usually prefer videos, but I've also been following Dr. Fetus' Etrian Odyssey LPs, and I doubt you can do it any better than that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It fell off the list officially a few months ago, but if the person who requested it is still reading this thread: an LP of Obduction has recently started up.

Also an LP of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 has started up today as well.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So no one's done an LP of Sunless Sea - Zubmariner, right? I guess I'm requesting that one then.

Sunless Sea is a game with a fantastic writing, but the gameplay is plain arse and Black Wombat's LP of the base game was the objectively superior way of experiencing all the good bits, so I hope someone eventually tackles Zubmariner for us.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'd like to request White Day: A Labyrinth Named School. It was originally released in 2001 in Korea, and a remake was just released for PS4 and Windows. I'd like to see someone that could do this justice. Even better if you can compare and contrast against the original.

https://youtu.be/tb8BNXADCbk

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Megazver posted:

Black Wombat's LP of the base game was the objectively superior way of experiencing all the good bits, so I hope someone eventually tackles Zubmariner for us.

That LP still hasn't been archived. A shame, really.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I'd love to see someone 100% complete Shadow Hearts: From the New World. The story is not great, but the gameplay and music are about as perfect as the SH series had been able to get.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I'd love to see someone 100% complete Shadow Hearts: From the New World. The story is not great, but the gameplay and music are about as perfect as the SH series had been able to get.

I'll second this and ask for the rest of the series as well. There are LPs in the archive, but they're missing a lot of images, and that makes them less fun to read.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Two things: First I found someone LPing Mega Man X: Command Mission and from the sound of things they'll get to the other Mega Man game I requested. Second, I'd like to request the Ys games toddy did not LP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Second, I'd like to request the Ys games toddy did not LP.

So that's, what, specifically? Seven, Ark of Napishtim, Lacrimosa of Dana; Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand; and Memories of Celceta?

If you could be specific, that would help, because you need a road map to navigate your way through Ys on a good day with all the remakes and mid-quels it has.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

So that's, what, specifically? Seven, Ark of Napishtim, Lacrimosa of Dana; Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand; and Memories of Celceta?

If you could be specific, that would help, because you need a road map to navigate your way through Ys on a good day with all the remakes and mid-quels it has.

I'm specifically requesting Memories of Celceta.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

nine-gear crow posted:

So that's, what, specifically? Seven, Ark of Napishtim, Lacrimosa of Dana; Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand?

Yeah, those games.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I would like to request an LP of Tyranny.
SSLP would probably be ideal for the type of game it is, I suppose. And it's for PC.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

nine-gear crow posted:

Junpei posted:

I'm specifically requesting Memories of Celceta.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, those games.

You forgot Ys IV Mask of the Sun

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Whatever Miiverse-heavy games there are need playing before it shuts down in a few months.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Also requesting, even though it just came out, a Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle indepth VLP. That game looks so fun, but I can't afford a Switch right now. :(

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Lynneth posted:

I would like to request an LP of Tyranny.
SSLP would probably be ideal for the type of game it is, I suppose. And it's for PC.

I'm curious how much audience participation would be wanted in a Tyranny LP, since it really is a game where your decisions matter, with several very different endings which can depend upon choices you make pretty early in the game.

I'm surprised that they haven't been done, but I wouldn't mind an LP of the original Gears of War trilogy

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I would really love to see an LP of Sundered by someone who is very good at the game

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Khisanth Magus posted:

I'm surprised that they haven't been done, but I wouldn't mind an LP of the original Gears of War trilogy

Yeah, y'know what? This would be a good one to see. I've never gotten around to GoW3, so I'd enjoy someone going through that one especially.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I've had plans to do the trilogy for a while, except I lack important things like the first game and any recording equipment and free time.

It would be neat to show off both single player and coop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Bumping my Kingdom Hearts Requests.

Also SMT 4 if no one else wants to, I want to see if the issues I have with the rest of the series are still present.
Is Frank still around? I enjoyed his LP style quite a bit.