Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

drat Apple.

Stop crying about this in all the threads you post in

Anidav posted:

drat Queensland

Once again, Victoria, best state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*puts on rose gold tinted glasses*

Wow Apple is amazing!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

drat Queensland

it actually looks like Brisbane has more support, and the sparsely populated areas where Cletus McInbred lives has less support.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Funny how that blue tide just plain stops at the NT. It's as if it cannot escape the confined prison of rural Queensland.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Looks like Cairns and Townsville are supporting with the more... "working class" towns like Rockhampton and Mackay being against it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Recoome posted:

it actually looks like Brisbane has more support, and the sparsely populated areas where Cletus McInbred lives has less support.

This is worth pointing out, as that big dark blue section in QLD has nobody throughout most of it. Most of the regional areas there have a couple of thousand tops.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So not only does the yes vote have the numbers, it has the geographical majority too. Wonder how they're going to spin this.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Oh that's right they'll just lie.

My favourite part of all of this is that the literal best outcome for the Turnbull led Liberal party would be for Christensen, Abbott, Dutton, Goodenough, Andrews and Abetz to spin off and join Bernardi, and for the remainder to adopt a more centre right market fetishist agenda. Aside from Abbott and maybe Andrews, they are all losing their seats in 2018 anyway. Any liberal candidate who challenged Abbott or Andrews would win tidily.

They'd lose the nationals for long enough for them to realise they're totally loving pointless without the liberal party, and they'd be back in coalition in time to challenge in 2021.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 13, 2017

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
He ensuing chaos as the "don't run against incumbent coalition MPs" rule is lifted would be amazing

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

On the plus side the ABC talked to a guy from the ABS this morning and Australians overseas can either contact the ABS for a unique code to vote in the survey or "instruct someone in Australia to fill out their ballot". That second one doesn't sound open to exploitation, no sir.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Meanwhile Bill Shorten's is telling Victoria to lift the ban on fracking because it will put "downward pressure" on energy prices.

Natural gas. A resource we produce in massive amounts and sell for rock bottom prices on the export market. We need to commit environmental suicide to make sure there's enough for our price gouging power companies to make even larger profits perhaps consider lowering their prices one day.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

DancingShade posted:

I wonder if that price is finally going to be the "gently caress this" straw that breaks the regular phone upgrader backs.

Doesn't even come with an avocado. Shameful.

I think that's why they've still got the cheaper phones. This works as a status symbol and lots of people will buy it for that reason. I'm surprised they haven't released a five thousand dollar phone to exploit that market even more.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

norp posted:

He ensuing chaos as the "don't run against incumbent coalition MPs" rule is lifted would be amazing

They wouldn't have to if the conservatwats spun off. What would be funnier is the libs running against the nats and splitting the bumpkin vote, forcing both parties to run around trying to get preferences from Labor/Greens and smearing the poo poo out of each other.

Of course it won't happen, any fracturing of the coalition would not survive to the next election year because neither party have the numbers on their own.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Digiwizzard posted:

Meanwhile Bill Shorten's is telling Victoria to lift the ban on fracking because it will put "downward pressure" on energy prices.

Natural gas. A resource we produce in massive amounts and sell for rock bottom prices on the export market. We need to commit environmental suicide to make sure there's enough for our price gouging power companies to make even larger profits perhaps consider lowering their prices one day.

gently caress, source?

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Solemn Sloth posted:

gently caress, source?
Arsestralian link since I can't find anything else

quote:

Bill Shorten has urged Victorian Labor Premier Daniel Andrews to consider overturning his government’s moratorium on conventional gas exploration, saying it would help put downward pressure on energy prices.

The Opposition Leader — who wants a 50 per cent Renewable Energy Target by 2030 — said he understood why states had banned fracking for environmental ­reasons but warned that a ban on conventional gas development had increased power bills.

The Andrews government banned fracking earlier this year and slapped a moratorium on conventional gas exploration until 2020.

Mr Shorten, who attacked the Turnbull government over its delay on implementing export controls to keep more gas in the domestic market, said conventional gas exploration should be encouraged. “There are legitimate community concerns about fracking,” he said, “(but) in terms of conventional gas, I do think we need to reconsider making sure we have got access to conventional gas supplies. We need to bring gas supply into the market, no question.”

Speaking of not being able to find any articles, does anyone have a link regarding the vote Adam Bandt is talking about? I wanna be outraged but can't seem to find anything on Labor voting down regulations.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Does he expect fracking in Victoria to produce so much gas it will depress world gas prices? That doesn't seem like a great idea any way you look at it.

High gas prices should be a good thing, because we can make more money from selling it and it promotes more investment in renewable energy. It's just a shame the money earned from selling it goes to private companies.

Digiwizzard posted:

Arsestralian link since I can't find anything else

Speaking of not being able to find any articles, does anyone have a link regarding the vote Adam Bandt is talking about? I wanna be outraged but can't seem to find anything on Labor voting down regulations.

It wasn't a specific set of regulations, it was just a senate motion that said they support regulating power prices in a general sense. Regulating power prices while the power companies remain in private hands seems like a less than idea solution anyway.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 13, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm pretty sure that quote indicates that he's come out in support of conventional gas exploration, but not Fracking. As far as I'm aware, one is significantly more environmentally disastrous than the other.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Don Dongington posted:

I'm pretty sure that quote indicates that he's come out in support of conventional gas exploration, but not Fracking. As far as I'm aware, one is significantly more environmentally disastrous than the other.

Oh, well that's not too bad. I agree that conventional natural gas exploration is much less damaging then fracking. Nevertheless, the problem at the moment isn't that we're not producing enough natural gas.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

It wasn't a specific set of regulations, it was just a senate motion that said they support regulating power prices in a general sense. Regulating power prices while the power companies remain in private hands seems like a less than idea solution anyway.

Or we regulate prices, profits and company worth plummet and then we renationalise the energy market.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Or we regulate prices, profits and company worth plummet and then we renationalise the energy market.

"Oh I see you're going into administration"

*Govt places bid*

YOINK

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why the gently caress would Labor vote on energy reforms when they'll be in government soon and can claim the win?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

"Oh I see you're going into administration"

*Govt places bid*

YOINK

*very LNP voice*

Now to build the coal power plants that Australia really needs.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

drat Queensland

A tiny house prototype stolen from a Canberra business appears to have made its way to a Queensland town 1,250 kilometres away in a matter of hours, according to the home's owner.

The house, which is mounted on a trailer and valued at about $20,000, was stolen from Julie Bray's Mitchell business late on Sunday.

"It was stolen from outside our office ... at 8:15 Sunday night," she said.

"Somebody who was in the vicinity heard angle grinding, came out and saw what was happening and called the police."

But another surprise came when, less than a day later, Ms Bray received reports of the house appearing more than 1,000 kilometres away in rural Queensland.

"It was first spotted in Kingaroy at 5:30 on Monday night, then it was seen the next morning at Kilkivan, which is just north of Kingaroy, an hour north or something," Ms Bray said.

"I was astounded.

Ms Bray said she posted pictures of the house on social media calling for help, and was confident the sighting in Queensland was legitimate.

"The guy that spotted it in Kingaroy was able to describe to me aspects of it that aren't even in the photo," she said.

"He was even able to describe a faded spot on the timber wall on the back ... I remembered that we actually had a sign there, a business sign was on it, and they would have removed that."

ACT police confirmed they were investigating after attending the business to investigate reports of a man tampering with the house, however it was gone by the time they arrived.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lid posted:

A literal stolen house

:laffo:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Alt: "Hello Australia!"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh my loving God

"The Guardian posted:

Robocall claims same-sex marriage may lead to radical gay education, raising push-polling fears

A robocall asking Australians their opinion about the same-sex marriage postal survey has suggested that marriage equality may lead to “radical gay sex education” and threats to freedom of speech and religion.

The poll, which was first reported by social media users on Tuesday night, stated that it was conducted by the Republican-linked American pollster WPA Intelligence.

Marriage equality advocates fear the call, which contains no authorisation disclosing who commissioned it, may be push-polling designed to boost the no campaign.

Posters and leaflets seen by Guardian readers show how elements of the no campaign mix appeal to religious tradition with extreme scares

The poll asks a series of seven questions.

The first three are neutral questions asking whether the respondent: has a favourable or unfavourable view of Malcolm Turnbull; intends to vote in the postal survey; and whether they support, oppose, do not plan to vote or are unsure about their vote on same-sex marriage.

The poll then repeats the question about support or opposition to same-sex marriage after two propositions:

“Denying some people the option to marry is discriminatory and creates a second class of citizens”; and

“Legalising same-sex marriage may lead to negative consequences such as radical gay sex education being taught in school, threats to freedom of speech and freedom of religion”.

The last two questions ask for the respondent’s age and sex for “verification purposes”.

Steven Short, who was surveyed by the robopoll, said that when he first answered the call it “didn’t have the more balanced question” about denying some people the option of marriage being discriminatory.

“I was disappointed that whichever organisation is responsible for the robo-dial is spreading misinformation en masse – because the marriage plebiscite is simply about nothing other than allowing two people of the same sex to marry,” he said.

“It has nothing to do with schools, it has nothing to do with kids, it’s a misinformation campaign.”

Omnipoll partner, and former Newspoll chief executive, Martin O’Shannessy, told Guardian Australia the poll may be an advertising agency “testing the efficacy of the two main messages of the campaign” because it offers two propositions with “one each way”.

O’Shannessy said that surveys should always identify the sponsor as required by Australian Communications and Media Authority rules and it was “suspicious” this survey did not identify its source.

“Where you only have one proposition and it’s very negative, that is prima facie evidence of a push poll.

“[This survey] is a bit light on on one side, the yes vote side. But my gut is if it was a push poll it could’ve been worse.”

The Galaxy Research chief executive, David Briggs, said it was “very unlikely to be push polling” and was more likely to be message testing because the survey provided alternative arguments.

“Asking biased or misleading questions isn’t necessarily push-polling, especially in a small sample and we don’t know how many have been exposed to this message,” he said.

WPA Intelligence is not a member of the Association of Market and Social Research organisations or the Australian Market and Social Research Society. It bills itself as one of the top two Republican polling firms in the US and does work for senator Ted Cruz.

Guardian Australia contacted WPA Intelligence for comment.

The phone number generating the call, a New South Wales or ACT-based landline, has already been reported by several users of the Should I Answer online forum who appeared confused about whether the poll encouraged responses for or against same-sex marriage.

“I took the poll but am now not sure that I should have. It asked the same question three times and seemed to be push-polling but from both sides of the debate which I found to be strange,” reported one user called Milton.

“Asking about Malcolm Turnbull ... very dodgy IMO [in my opinion],” said one user.

“Harassing call to get details of how you vote in plebiscite. SSM [same-sex marriage] advocates continually attacking Australia people,” said another user.

Claims that marriage equality will impact the gender education of children have been central to the no case, with the first Coalition for Marriage ad claiming schools will allow boys to wear dresses and compel students to role play same-sex relationships.

Conservative opponents of marriage equality, including John Howard and Tony Abbott, argue that it poses a threat to religious freedom and freedom of speech.

Proposed law would penalise those who intimidate or threaten based on sex, sexuality, gender identity, intersex status, religious convictions or views they hold about the survey

On Wednesday the Coalition will introduce a bill requiring campaign communications to be authorised and establishing protections against vilification, intimidation and threats against participants in public debate.

Vilification based on a person’s sexuality, gender identity, intersex status, religious convictions or the views they hold or are perceived to hold about the survey will be banned.

The bill contains remedies including injunctions and penalties of up to $12,600 for vilification, but limits who can bring a case to authorised campaign groups and gives the attorney general a gate-keeping power to reject cases seeking a penalty.

The projection

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

quote:

radical gay sex education
hell yeah

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

A tiny house prototype stolen from a Canberra business appears to have made its way to a Queensland town 1,250 kilometres away in a matter of hours, according to the home's owner.

The house, which is mounted on a trailer and valued at about $20,000, was stolen from Julie Bray's Mitchell business late on Sunday.

"It was stolen from outside our office ... at 8:15 Sunday night," she said.

"Somebody who was in the vicinity heard angle grinding, came out and saw what was happening and called the police."

But another surprise came when, less than a day later, Ms Bray received reports of the house appearing more than 1,000 kilometres away in rural Queensland.

"It was first spotted in Kingaroy at 5:30 on Monday night, then it was seen the next morning at Kilkivan, which is just north of Kingaroy, an hour north or something," Ms Bray said.

"I was astounded.

Ms Bray said she posted pictures of the house on social media calling for help, and was confident the sighting in Queensland was legitimate.

"The guy that spotted it in Kingaroy was able to describe to me aspects of it that aren't even in the photo," she said.

"He was even able to describe a faded spot on the timber wall on the back ... I remembered that we actually had a sign there, a business sign was on it, and they would have removed that."

ACT police confirmed they were investigating after attending the business to investigate reports of a man tampering with the house, however it was gone by the time they arrived.

it's probably already up on airbnb for 150$ a night.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/form...907-gyd90d.html
In different Australian states and territories, the return rates are somewhere between 85 and 90 per cent. Dolphin Treasure's machines in Victoria say the theoretical return is 87.8 per cent, which, Maurice Blackburn alleges, gives the impression the player will retain 87.8 per cent of the money they bet while risking losing 12.2 per cent of the money they bet.

The 85 per cent return figure is calculated over the lifetime of a machine and includes jackpots that occasional players rarely win.

"This again is misleading," principal lawyer Jacob Varghese said last year.

"The so-called 'return to player' is just an average on any given spin. If you play multiple games – as the machines encourage – the return to the player often ends up approaching zero, because you lose an average of 12.17 per cent each spin. Calling it a 'return to player' is just false.

"So if you put money into the machine and have multiple spins, you likely will be left with nothing."

Pokies are bad and all, but I don't see how she can possibly win this case.

It says on the side of the machine that for every dollar you put in you will, on average, get less than one dollar back. How could that possibly be interpreted to mean anything other than 'if you keep playing you are guaranteed to lose'?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just finished watching the ABC's Press Club on "The Case for No" and it was even more loving bullshit than I had expected.

Not only did the pro-bigotry side get a nation wide platform to push their hate, the amount of softball questions from the press made me want to loving gag.

If we press them on their lies, we might not get any more big name guests :ohdear:

Really loving disappointed with the ABC.

JBP posted:

Why the gently caress would Labor vote on energy reforms when they'll be in government soon and can claim the win?

I'm guessing a lot of ALP members will be spending the summer at AGL's chalet in the Swiss Alps on an all expenses paid fact finding mission.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Cheaper to just hire a tomcat excavator and just dig up someone's house and take it for yourself than pay a mortgage mate. *skulls XXXX*

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Glad that once again, the sensible centre is denying human rights for a section of the community

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh my loving God

The projection

These wankers called me yesterday but I hung up too quickly to hear anything about gay marriage. They called from 0290991774 if anyone wants to preemptively block them.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

ABCC head Nigel Hadgkiss resigns after admitting he contravened Fair Work Act
Michaelia Cash announces Hadgkiss’s decision to leave Australian Building and Construction Commission before hearing

Australian Associated Press
Wednesday 13 September 2017 15.17 AEST

The head of the Turnbull government’s building watchdog has resigned after he admitted to contravening the Fair Work Act.

The employment minister, Michaelia Cash, announced Nigel Hadgkiss’s decision to leave the Australian Building and Construction Commission before a civil penalty hearing in the federal court on Friday.

“The government thanks Mr Hadgkiss for his service and wishes him well in his future endeavours,” she said in a statement on Wednesday.

In court documents, reported in the Australian, Hadgkiss admitted that in December 2013 he directed that Labor government changes to right-of-entry laws – which were due to come into effect in January 2014 – not be published by the agency.

The Coalition won the federal election in September 2013, promising to repeal the laws.

Hadgkiss met two senior staff on 19 December 2013, directing no changes be made to agency educational material to reflect the law because he believed it would be changed.

Unions had called for Hadgkiss to be sacked over the incident for not upholding the laws he was authorised to enforce.

Hadgkiss admitted to contravening section 503(1) of the Fair Work Act, which says a person must not take action with the intention of giving the impression, “or reckless as to whether the impression is given, that the doing of a thing is authorised” when it is not.

Labor’s workplace spokesman, Brendan O’Connor, said that Cash needed to come clean on what the government knew of the regulator’s “breach of the rule of law over a three-year period”.

“She must accept responsibility and ensure the public that no taxpayer money was used to defend Mr Hadgkiss throughout his controversial time in his position,” he said. “Mr Hadgkiss has fallen on his sword. Will the minister take responsibility and do the same?”

:ironicat:

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/907829642408669185

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 13, 2017

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just finished watching the ABC's Press Club on "The Case for No" and it was even more loving bullshit than I had expected.

Not only did the pro-bigotry side get a nation wide platform to push their hate, the amount of softball questions from the press made me want to loving gag.

If we press them on their lies, we might not get any more big name guests :ohdear:

Really loving disappointed with the ABC.

I'm guessing a lot of ALP members will be spending the summer at AGL's chalet in the Swiss Alps on an all expenses paid fact finding mission.

Same - though I can't really blame the ABC for this. The present journalists lobbed the most softball questions - particularly those from say, the SMH, The Grauniad, and ... er ... Buzzfeed. None pointing out the glaring hypocrisy that 'gay marriage could trample our rights!' Or the very question of the tyranny of the majority.

It was also pretty clear that the audience - those that weren't journalists - made an effort to stack the press club audience. Clapping for every weak moral equivalence, or the speakers trying to paint themselves as the true victims.

It's yet another of those times I sit back and marvel, "you know the majority of your base will die out soon, and you will ultimately lose, right? Don't you ever get tired of being on the wrong side of history over and over again?"

They were too chicken-poo poo to even agree to a 2 sided debate; some evasive bullshit about 'I would have to check with my campaign.' In other words, 'I couldn't maintain a cohesive argument in an adversarial debate'. Hopefully the 'yes' campaigners keep publicly calling for moderated debates incessantly, and cranking the humiliation and cowardice up to 11 every time they run away.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Why is Abetz doing pressers on his old portfolio anyway?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I got the survey form but the ABS' return envelope uses that glue where you have to lick it, it's super gross so I won't be participating

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Korgan posted:

These wankers called me yesterday but I hung up too quickly to hear anything about gay marriage. They called from 0290991774 if anyone wants to preemptively block them.

I already don't answer/block any repeat calls from 02 numbers. They're all telemarketers & scams.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bandaid.friend posted:

I got the survey form but the ABS' return envelope uses that glue where you have to lick it, it's super gross so I won't be participating

Just use the sweat from your brow that you worked up going to the fridge for another drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The envelope is too soggy now, the ink is running

• Locked thread