Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

IceBorg posted:

I have been playing Fata Morgana and all I want to say is when I was in the fourth door and I saw in the backlog that people were talking there but not in the main game itself for the first time it really freaked me out for real, like what the gently caress I got jumpscared by the backlog

Hahaha yeah, I had the exact same experience. I love that it's so easy to miss as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Just found out the Fata Morgana devs are making an rpg :eyepop:

Give me the deets my dude

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cake Attack posted:

Give me the deets my dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWHNbscIwE

Since sekai project is all over it I guess an English release is already assured but that's about all the deets there are. And the music is going to be great, listen to the track on the website http://novect.net/narkarma/

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"I'm your trusty friend!" :eyepop:

The pitch at least (since no gameplay shown) looks rad as gently caress.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Speaking of releases does anyone have a clue when the perfect edition of Little Busters will be released? It says on steam that it will be in 2017 but no other date has been said. I wanted to play it for a while but I heard the perfect edition has many extra stuff so I have been waiting for years so I was happy when a year was announced but still nothing.

I really hope it doesn't get delayed or anything.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

IceBorg posted:

Speaking of releases does anyone have a clue when the perfect edition of Little Busters will be released?

It was originally slated for a summer release it got pushed back to some time this fall.

https://www.facebook.com/VisualArtsUSA/posts/1859488091036011

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

astr0man posted:

It was originally slated for a summer release it got pushed back to some time this fall.

https://www.facebook.com/VisualArtsUSA/posts/1859488091036011

Oh thanks!

Hopefully it's early fall, but I can guess I have waited years to finally play the damm thing so I guess I can wait just a little longer.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

"I'm your trusty friend!" :eyepop:

The pitch at least (since no gameplay shown) looks rad as gently caress.

There's also a website with no real information, but it does have this sweet music track.

E: Derp, was already mentioned and I just missed it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The end of the video says AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS WATCH so it may not actually have gameplay.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The end of the video says AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS WATCH so it may not actually have gameplay.

Perhaps by T-RPG Inspired, they meant Ogre Battle.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Finished The House in Fata Morgana. Probably my favorite Visual Novel ever, surpassing Steins Gate. (Haven't played Umineko or Muv-Luv Alternative yet though)

Also Michel and Giselle are the cutest couple in gaming

Also has anyone tried Wonderful Everyday? It's really high up in the Visual Novel Database. (where it's listed as Subarashiki Hibi)

https://vndb.org/v3144

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 13, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can someone sell me on playing Fata Morgana? I have a hard time gauging what it's supposed to be going for based on the few descriptions of it I've read.

Like is the premise supposed to vaguely remind me of The Shining?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 13, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Despite the gothic aesthetic and the vaguely horror-sounding premise FM is at its heart a tragic drama, with extra emphasis on the tragedy. It features a cast of characters that you get to know extremely well, to an extent that they feel truly human and not "good" or "bad" in sort of black&white sense. To that end as they progress through their lives and encounter all manner of happiness and sorrow, often by their own moral failings, you are able to emphasize with them in a way that very few VNs are able to do IMO. And despite featuring so much misery, the catharsis felt throughout doesn't leave you feel all that down. It's a very enriching, very fulfilling, very satisfying tale.

Perhaps the best part of it though is that while it features a sprawling narrative that absolutely addresses and connects every plot thread in some manner, it's not obvious that it will do so at first. You'll proceed through each of the doors and each one at first feels like little vignettes that you'll move on from afterwards and forget about it...until slowly but surely you start to see the patterns, start to see the direction it's really leading you towards...which crystallizes in several sequences that are a combination of :hellyeah: and :ohdear:.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In addition to that I think it's just generally strong in terms of execution. Good art, good music, relatively well paced.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

theblackw0lf posted:

Also has anyone tried Wonderful Everyday? It's really high up in the Visual Novel Database. (where it's listed as Subarashiki Hibi)

SubaHibi is not all-ages.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

It's only for extremely cool and hip children.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In addition to that I think it's just generally strong in terms of execution. Good art, good music, relatively well paced.
Oh yeah the soundtrack is unbelievably good, near as makes no difference Umineko tier.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

astr0man posted:

SubaHibi is not all-ages.

In case there's any doubt about just how not all-ages it is: the Steam version includes only the first chapter of the game, out of six. The entire other five chapters have to be patched in. This isn't really a situation where you can just go "oh, there's a Steam release, just talk about the content that's included in that".

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Nate RFB posted:

Perhaps the best part of it though is that while it features a sprawling narrative that absolutely addresses and connects every plot thread in some manner, it's not obvious that it will do so at first. You'll proceed through each of the doors and each one at first feels like little vignettes that you'll move on from afterwards and forget about it...until slowly but surely you start to see the patterns, start to see the direction it's really leading you towards...which crystallizes in several sequences that are a combination of :hellyeah: and :ohdear:.

I bought FM last year because of a recommendation but went in not knowing anything other than the steam page description. For the first three doors, I read at a reasonable pace, took some breaks and got distracted by other games. Once I got to the fourth door I had this feeling of "oh, this probably won't be much longer, but it has been interesting." and decided to finish that door in one section, and then I got to the fifth door and I just couldn't stop and eventually realized I had spent my whole night reading and did the same with my free time every night until I was done. It's just such a beautiful and well-constructed story.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Stexils posted:

It's only for extremely cool and hip children.
If you cannot produce proof of radness, you will be asked to leave the premises.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The music in Fata Morgana is rad but me being portuguese I just couldn't ignore the fact that the people who made some of the lyrics of the songs just wrote then in japanese and then translated then to portuguese on Google or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I just went ahead and bought Fata Morgana after reading Nate's post about it.

I finished the first chapter. I'm torn. The period piece aspect of this is super cool but the actual drama seemed...honestly predictable and kind of weak, considering the subject matter? Like they really really really wanted you to pick up on the younger sister's incestuous feelings super hard. It was honestly kind of ridiculous how much they spelled it out before just straight up spelling it out at the end in an extended segment.

The stuff with the white haired maid girl was a bit better but still not great.

I'm pretty disappointed to see the game start on such weak legs.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

The first chapter is probably the weakest in the entire game. You owe it to yourself to play chapter two at least, and see what you think of it then. It's pretty different tonally too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best I can say I think without spoiling too much is that while the content of Door 1 is an important addition to the overall story, it is just a very small slice of the overall picture and should also not be considered indicative of the type of drama or even format of the rest of the Doors.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Well Hatoful Boyfriend sure goes in places I didn't expect

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Raxivace posted:

Like they really really really wanted you to pick up on the younger sister's incestuous feelings super hard. It was honestly kind of ridiculous how much they spelled it out before just straight up spelling it out at the end in an extended segment..

If it makes you feel better, this part has pretty much no relevance to the overall plot.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's not really supposed to be a twist. regardless, while i hate saying, it gets better, because whenever someone tells me to read/play/do x hours of whatever before it gets good it evaporates all my desire to do so, i do think fata morgana should come with a similar but legally distinct qualification, which is that the first door, while very much important and appropriate in the long run, gives a misleading impression of what the game will be, and is just merely ok instead of great. coming into off the much deserved praise the game gets can give a little whiplash, and so i think its a fair warning to give. especially since its not very long.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I read Door 2. Wasn't a huge fan with the usage of misdirection with the two merchants but otherwise liked this one much more than the first short story.

I'll be seeing through the rest of Fata Morgana now at least.

EDIT: And I liked Door 3 as well with its heavy Othello vibes.

I think in general this game may just be a little more heavy handed than I was initially expecting (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing to be), but I'm into it now.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 14, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah Door 1 is "fine" and I sort of retroactively appreciate some of the things it was trying to do when looking at the whole picture, but it's hard to see that from the start. Awesome that you're liking Doors 2 & 3 (I especially like 3) because it's only up from there and obv you now know what the game's kind of going for.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

IceBorg posted:

The music in Fata Morgana is rad but me being portuguese I just couldn't ignore the fact that the people who made some of the lyrics of the songs just wrote then in japanese and then translated then to portuguese on Google or something.

I was playing it and for the longest time I didn't realize it was Portuguese until o randomly heard "e a história continua" between scenes and went: WAIT!

I still really liked the OST but drat was that bad Portuguese. It still worked for me though, I guess since the reason they chose pt in the first place was to have no one understanding what was being said.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I'm reading Door 4 and I clicked the backlog button because I accidentally skipped through a bit of dialogue.

I'm getting completely different text that is most definitely not what I've been reading. :psyduck:

I'm not even sure if its a glitch of some kind or not, considering the nature of the game.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Raxivace posted:

So I'm reading Door 4 and I clicked the backlog button because I accidentally skipped through a bit of dialogue.

I'm getting completely different text that is most definitely not what I've been reading. :psyduck:

I'm not even sure if its a glitch of some kind or not, considering the nature of the game.

Just keep playing ;)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

My workplace analogy for my response to this would be the Debug Team telling me "WontFix. Working As Intended."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well the first Door in Fata Morgana was pleasant enough, until it Wasn't.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sounds about right.

In other news, I guess Umineko 5-8 are "in testing" for MG, it's the first update that's received in a long time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fata Morgana is starting to lose me again.

Spoilers up into Door 7 - I don't know why but this stuff with Michel growing up and his brothers just really isn't doing anything for me at all.

Can't say I'm super into Morgana as a character or her backstory either- it kind of recasts the previous stories into a little less interesting of a light for me too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Raxivace posted:

Fata Morgana is starting to lose me again.

Spoilers up into Door 7 - I don't know why but this stuff with Michel growing up and his brothers just really isn't doing anything for me at all.

Can't say I'm super into Morgana as a character or her backstory either- it kind of recasts the previous stories into a little less interesting of a light for me too.

I don't really have any more "Oh just wait for X part" that late into the game, since for me Door 5 was the watershed moment that hooked me in for good, but that said depending on where you are in Door 7 you might not really have the "full" backstory or characterization for Morgana just yet.

That said how did knowing Morgana's deal make those stories less interesting? For me, learning about how and why these seemingly disconnected tales were actually part of a larger whole made them far more meaningful, and it's part of the reason why I was saying that I can still sort of appreciate what Door 1 was going for retrospectively because of the reframing knowing about Morgana brings to the table.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I feel like it calls the characters' agencies into question in a way that makes them less interesting and potentially less culpable for their own tragedies.

Like is it really better that the reason that Jacopo never talked to his wife about the letter was potentially not his own paranoia and fears but instead being the victim of "lol magical curse that wished him to be wealthy but alone"? Is the Bestia story really better knowing that Morgana was really there, talking to and influencing him? Can we really say that Nellie's incestuous feelings really are the result of not having other points of contact besides her doting brother or is it because of Morgana's wishing her to be that way that just to gently caress with Mell?

Like you could potentially rationalize these issues away, but having to do that now when previously I only viewed them as the result of human failings is kind of lame.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In the end I wouldn't attribute that much culpability to Morgana's curse alone; FM very clearly wanted to make it clear just how deep the moral failings and transgressions of its cast go, and not pass any blame regardless of how they might have got put into that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Sounds about right.

In other news, I guess Umineko 5-8 are "in testing" for MG, it's the first update that's received in a long time.

took them long enough! i should've written down all my theories when i played 1-4 for the first time; it's been long enough that they're starting to go fuzzy and I don't have the time to replay them just to refresh my memory.