Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

God bless our Boys in Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Javid posted:

The final solution to wild turkeys is a $100 shotgun and a deep fryer smoker.

Totally.

therobit posted:

Please use steel or copper shot to protect the environment and not get lead in your food.

And this is also important.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Pellets in your food is a valid concern but lead is entirely fine to use on non-water birds.

I mean I'd rather just shoot them with a 22 and only have to locate and remove one chunk of lead instead of a billion tiny ones but some regulation-writer decided that made too much sense.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Javid posted:

Pellets in your food is a valid concern but lead is entirely fine to use on non-water birds.

I mean I'd rather just shoot them with a 22 and only have to locate and remove one chunk of lead instead of a billion tiny ones but some regulation-writer decided that made too much sense.

Rifles often over-penetrate on smaller game and if you miss will for sure go a lot farther.

Everyplace in the NW drains to streams.

If your bird gets away and is eaten by a predator/scavenger, then that creature gets to eat lead.

It's not just about the pellets. Because lead is so soft, it will spall on the way in and live teeny tiny little bits of lead that can move quite a ways into the meat.

Lead is better for your gun, and it's density can be better for killing stuff/people, but it is a worse choice in almost every other way.

Edit- Smoker over fryer if there is only one bird for sure, but if there are enough to go around then I think a Pepsi challenge is in order.

therobit fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 12, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Not-lead is also $gently caress and worse in every practical way as far as actually using it. But hey, shoot what you want.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Mood disorders, lowered IQ, and erratic temperment, but hey eat that lead!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Javid posted:

Not-lead is also $gently caress and worse in every practical way as far as actually using it. But hey, shoot what you want.

I hear it is quite tasty also.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

thank's obama

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

FRINGE posted:

Being American is the right to behave in the stupidest way possible, endangering the long term health of self and family despite all scientific evidence.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/AlexRozierK5/status/907698358587813888

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
:wow:

Also - since komo4 is terrible sinclair owned or whatever and both king5 and kiro7 have the worst websites on earth... crosscut? Where the heck do I get my local news now. Komo has the most palatable website

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

:wow:

Also - since komo4 is terrible sinclair owned or whatever and both king5 and kiro7 have the worst websites on earth... crosscut? Where the heck do I get my local news now. Komo has the most palatable website

Crosscut, C is for Crank, the Urbanist, the Stranger.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I used to do the slog all the time but it really has gone down hill in the last year. I'll try out C is for Crank and the Urbanist. Crosscut is already bookmarked but there's no breaking news there ( in this specific case there is *bites tongue* ).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Q13 is owned by the company about to be acquired by Sinclair so, they're screwed too.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm not sure it matters, it's not like anyone under 50 watches local television news anyway. They're certainly not going to get people back when both heads of a household are working and don't have time to waste watching the nightly fear watch.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Also this guy's out https://twitter.com/dirquez/status/907708901449097216

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

South Seattle Emerald if you care about the south end

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

The Stranger is absolute hot garbage and it was my understanding that KOMO employees were doing everything they could to fight the Sinclair bullshit and looking to be sold off to someone else.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Stranger is fine. Just know the particular angle they take with certain stories and adjust your interpretation accordingly.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, if anything Saltzman has always been one of the most pro-development council members (to the point he pretty much was always laissez faire). I assume there is going to be a ready replacement.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

seiferguy posted:

The Stranger is fine. Just know the particular angle they take with certain stories and adjust your interpretation accordingly.

I don't mind a point of view or target audience or focus on certain issues or over others. That poo poo is fine.

But too often their reporting is lazy. Half the time the reporter finds themselves out of their depth, shrugs their shoulders and asks with a wacky tone, "who knows?!" The idea of contacting experts seems to never occur. Last week there was a review of soup dumplings (to compare against Don Tai Fung) and the reviewer completely forgot that there's a little place called the "International District".

On the science front, they fell for the BS surrounding that study of male birth control (rather than reading the paper which has a section about why the IRB run by the WHO ended the study for safety reasons) and the yoga mat poo poo before that. Not to mention anything Mudede publishes on the topic. Incidentally, their scientific reporting on the Oso landslide was incredibly well done, so it's not like they can't do this well when they want too. For a time, they had an actual science reporter who was doing great environmental reporting but he vanished.

I get that there are limitations to what they can do, but they have a very influential voice in Seattle and they could be using it a lot more thoughtfully.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

FRINGE posted:

I don't eat lead and already have these so maybe Javid has a point.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hey it works for Portland schools, why fix what isn't broken.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ardennes posted:

Hey it works for Portland schools, why fix what isn't broken.

To be fair, the bumper stickers say Keep Portland Weird, so we've got a commitment to uphold.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Steve Jorbs posted:

I don't fully understand this latch on to Nazi ideology given America has it's own culture of racial oppression and genocide to subscribe to.

Racists are lazy af, using someone else's ideology is par for the course.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Thaddius the Large posted:

To be fair, the bumper stickers say Keep Portland Weird, so we've got a commitment to uphold.

Maybe they could dismantle the rest of the schools for brew bars/music venues? That would be very PDX zeitgeist (leaded water is an extra $1.50 including during happy hour).

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Maybe they could dismantle the rest of the schools for brew bars/music venues? That would be very PDX zeitgeist (leaded water is an extra $1.50 including during happy hour).

lol Kennedy school.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There was a school shooting in Spokane today. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/13/shooting-reported-at-freeman-high-school/

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Good riddance to the sleeping-in-council-meetings landlord who ran the housing department. Get bent, Saltzman.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
acab https://www.instagram.com/p/BZB8FN-hcdi/
https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/21814184_1926844327641188_545395086347730944_n.mp4

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

https://twitter.com/pdx_resistance/status/907662804416524288

https://twitter.com/pdx_resistance/status/908035517022740480

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Clearly, they need paid administrative leave, and then more training.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Clearly, they need paid administrative leave, and then more training.

Don't worry, Ted Wheeler won't get suckered into making a comment about a youtube video.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Police, mostly bad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao of course they're not https://twitter.com/OPB/status/908701987880841216

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

lmao of course they're not.

It would require both competency and courage.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

It's poo poo like this why Uber and other business models that depend on non-enforcement are allowed to thrive. Unbelievable, except it's totally believable.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We can build a jail for poors and non-whites who get caught riding the train, but if someone wants to avoid this other, different kind of regulatory agency, wlel, that's their beliefs and I respect that

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It'd be nice if the article actually said what the gently caress greyball is so we have some context for our outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

It'd be nice if the article actually said what the gently caress greyball is so we have some context for our outrage.
It's the program Uber used to detect inspectors, cancel their rides, and display cars that didn't exist in the app. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/technology/uber-greyball-program-evade-authorities.html

Back in the day, Uber used to be illegal in Portland. Uber showed up anyway. (aside: the first Uber customer was the "unipiper", a guy who plays the bagpipes on a unicycle while typically wearing some sort of costume, like a Darth Vader helmet. There is an advertisement here) Portland sued Uber for operating within city limits, Uber paid some fines, but Uber's been self-destructing over the past year. One of the things we learned, apart from their executives carrying around medical records of a woman who had been raped by one of their drivers, in order to show off those records to other executives, is that Uber has developed internal apps such as Greyball, which allow thems to ignore regulations.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 15, 2017