Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Dana Crysalis posted:

Always Buy Event Gear™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Maybe I need to bitch about not pulling rainbows more...

Just pulled Onion Knight. Wtf do I do with him?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hagie posted:

Maybe I need to bitch about not pulling rainbows more...

Just pulled Onion Knight. Wtf do I do with him?

Smoosh to Bedile.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am saving my tickets for funyun knight.

also i know it's literally just small sample size but i feel like a lot of people have been incidentally pulling OK and i wonder if gumi did a stealth buff to his rate for this banner :tinfoil:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
We've apparently accumulated enough of a crew hanging out here and in discord that we seem to get a bunch of rainbow posts every banner now.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

rabidsquid posted:

i am saving my tickets for funyun knight.

also i know it's literally just small sample size but i feel like a lot of people have been incidentally pulling OK and i wonder if gumi did a stealth buff to his rate for this banner :tinfoil:

let's look at the 50k lapis and 50 tickets I spent. Nope, no they did not.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dana Crysalis posted:

well i think its been established that mine and your accounts have set the "lol, gently caress you idiot" flag to on

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dana Crysalis posted:

drat, what rainbows did you pull off all those?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

PaybackJack posted:

lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

lol

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Tipme posted:

@swoon, you should come on discord. As a part time whale you should!

P.s. Put Ifrit On Your Dark Veritas

P.p.s looking for dark veritas friends

I'll do one of those things.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Ugato posted:

We've apparently accumulated enough of a crew hanging out here and in discord that we seem to get a bunch of rainbow posts every banner now.

It was a half price too.

Hadn't done a half pull in a few days.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah they're definitely different enough that I have fun with both. FFRK is oozing with nostalgia and does a better job of incentivizing levelling a wide roster with things like realm synergy. It's fun having a large more diverse toolkit for fights between realm synergy, having to switch elements from boss to boss, etc. What little story the game has is "hey remember _________ from beloved FF title ___?".

Like you said, FFBE is probably a better game than FFRK if you strip away all the FF branding. It's fun investing more into a core party of characters and building around supporting them. The story is actually shockingly good for a mobile game and better than many FF titles IMO.

Edit: I wish they reissue FF5 and FF6 with the graphics from FFRK instead of the ugly versions we have right now.

I've seen interviews where Japanese devs (and others) defend those lovely sprites saying "well they look more like the chibi images that were originally designed, and they're made by the same person" while constantly ignoring FF5 and FF6 for mobile were cheaply made games using FFD assets and the characters look so bland and samey because they're barely modified FFD character sprites.

It sucks and those games deserve better, even if they'd gotten the ugly 3D treatment of FF3 and FF4. The fact that the person who made the SNES spites also made the FF6 mobile sprites (apparently) isn't a point in their favor, it's a strike against that artist because they have no excuse for looking at the end result of those games and saying "yes this looks good and not at all like an inconsistent graphical clusterfuck." They could've run the SNES sprites through a a hq4x or similar filter and called it a day and it'd have still looked better than what they made. FF5/6 mobile are just inexcusably ugly and lazy looking. The only improvement in FF6 mobile was that they fixed Cyan's sword tech skill mechanic to be a bit less awful.

It's slightly surprising that FFRK Global doesn't use those ugly-rear end sprites considering they use portraits of the remakes (FFD-based for 5/6 and fugly 3D for 3/4) in the global version while the Japanese version uses the original NES/SNES games for portraits.

Dana Crysalis posted:

Rem is actually the best unit to kill Hein. Load her up with dual wield, Odin, Undead Killer, and MAG, and she will destroy him with Boomerang Dagger in less than 15 turns, easily.

Just remember to give her sleep/confuse immunity if you want to do this.

rabidsquid posted:

ah that's a bummer, if it makes you feel any better i've fused at least five garnet because initially her TMR was very low rated, which in retrospect is absurd. 20% to all elemental resists, big fuckin deal!!!

Same, but I'm back up to 3 Garnets now. :confuoot:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've seen interviews where Japanese devs (and others) defend those lovely sprites saying "well they look more like the chibi images that were originally designed, and they're made by the same person" while constantly ignoring FF5 and FF6 for mobile were cheaply made games using FFD assets and the characters look so bland and samey because they're barely modified FFD character sprites.

It sucks and those games deserve better, even if they'd gotten the ugly 3D treatment of FF3 and FF4. The fact that the person who made the SNES spites also made the FF6 mobile sprites (apparently) isn't a point in their favor, it's a strike against that artist because they have no excuse for looking at the end result of those games and saying "yes this looks good and not at all like an inconsistent graphical clusterfuck." They could've run the SNES sprites through a a hq4x or similar filter and called it a day and it'd have still looked better than what they made. FF5/6 mobile are just inexcusably ugly and lazy looking. The only improvement in FF6 mobile was that they fixed Cyan's sword tech skill mechanic to be a bit less awful.

It's slightly surprising that FFRK Global doesn't use those ugly-rear end sprites considering they use portraits of the remakes (FFD-based for 5/6 and fugly 3D for 3/4) in the global version while the Japanese version uses the original NES/SNES games for portraits.

Just remember to give her sleep/confuse immunity if you want to do this.

Same, but I'm back up to 3 Garnets now. :confuoot:

Remake the games with FFBE sprites.
:getin:

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
GOD. After all my attempts to try to play offense myself, I finally beat 15 rounds for Hein by loading Ace for bear, using a friend D. Fina, and then just having Zargabaath, Rikku, Y'shtola and WoL playing defense the whole time while Ace and D.Fina whaled away at Hein with Tri-Laser and Ultima. I am looking forward to never having to do that lovely fight again, sheesh.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cartoon Man posted:

Remake the games with FFBE sprites.
:getin:

Sadly, the only people with that much love for sprite artistry any more are working eternally on the gacha mills until the end of time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SquirrelGrip posted:

But I don't think I need 10000 wing dings to buy some armour for a unit I won't get... right?

It's a good armor and helm that raise ATK, which you want on your physical attackers anyway.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You seem awfully mad. I'm not gonna play the remakes of 3 or 4 because of their horrible bad art, 5 and 6 honestly don't look that bad.

If the original sprites were "the best they could do" at the time given the original intent and one hates the remakes, then our childhoods were based upon lies.

Don't blame them. Blame yourself or God, you spoony bard.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

rabidsquid posted:

well i think its been established that mine and your accounts have set the "lol, gently caress you idiot" flag to on

Verily, tis truth.

PaybackJack posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *deep breath* hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Holy cow, I won the FFBE lotto.

I had saved up 10k crystals and decided to do an 11 pull on the devs choice banner hoping for a chizuru...

I got two Chizuru, two Agrias, and a Zyrus

edit: and King who seems pretty cool but I havent heard anyone mention him so I guess he isnt meta?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

King is the best character... if you want to die of old age waiting for his attack animation to finish. Plus he has innate dual wield with guns so that doubles the length of his already long attack animation. Then he has Rapid Fire which can let him attack up to 6 times which if it works like any other attack ability hits twice per attack with dual wield.

He does have a good MP Regen TMR that regens 7% MP per turn so keep him around. Just never use him
(he can actually hurt in arena against a non-dodgy single target due to having a shitton of attacks to get around the 999 damage cap but you'll sit there forever waiting for him to finally end his turn)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Dana Crysalis posted:

Verily, tis truth.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *deep breath* hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Yep, a good 35k lapis and whatever tickets I have and I got diddly.

Sister pulls OK off a random half price pull.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:

Scrublord Prime posted:

King is the best character... if you want to die of old age waiting for his attack animation to finish. Plus he has innate dual wield with guns so that doubles the length of his already long attack animation. Then he has Rapid Fire which can let him attack up to 6 times which if it works like any other attack ability hits twice per attack with dual wield.

He does have a good MP Regen TMR that regens 7% MP per turn so keep him around. Just never use him
(he can actually hurt in arena against a non-dodgy single target due to having a shitton of attacks to get around the 999 damage cap but you'll sit there forever waiting for him to finally end his turn)

Oh god I hate obnoxiously long attack animations.

edit: found someone in the friends list with a King, jesus christ you werent joking. he takes 5x as long as everuone else to finish his animations

Hi fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 12, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's a good armor and helm that raise ATK, which you want on your physical attackers anyway.

You seem awfully mad. I'm not gonna play the remakes of 3 or 4 because of their horrible bad art, 5 and 6 honestly don't look that bad.

If the original sprites were "the best they could do" at the time given the original intent and one hates the remakes, then our childhoods were based upon lies.

Don't blame them. Blame yourself or God, you spoony bard.

It isn't so much that the sprites for 5 and 6 are bad(although they are), but rather that they are barely edited copies of the sprites from FFD. They are the absolute lowest effort they could do for sprites.

Ff5 and 6 with FFBE style sprites would be awesome as gently caress. This game has pretty awesome sprites.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hi posted:

Oh god I hate obnoxiously long attack animations.

I avoid bring friend 2Bs on general grinding missions because of this.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Dragomorph posted:

GOD. After all my attempts to try to play offense myself, I finally beat 15 rounds for Hein by loading Ace for bear, using a friend D. Fina, and then just having Zargabaath, Rikku, Y'shtola and WoL playing defense the whole time while Ace and D.Fina whaled away at Hein with Tri-Laser and Ultima. I am looking forward to never having to do that lovely fight again, sheesh.

I finally got him with Ilias, 9S with Pod, Yshtola, 2 middling Ashes and a friend Emperor. It would be kind of nice to have the Water Resistance material, but I'm not interested in trying any more.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Sol is down with all missions completed. Between him and Heim, I'm starting to realize I way underestimated the manufacted nethicite when I got it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Sol is down with all missions completed. Between him and Heim, I'm starting to realize I way underestimated the manufacted nethicite when I got it.

I'm turning 9S into the ultimate support unit giving him POD 153, Rikku's Pouch, Manufactured Nethicite, and Bushido Freedom. I'm thinking the last slots for Love, and a Discernment.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Should I bother using cactaurs etc on three star dudes or just save them for 4s?

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

beergod posted:

Should I bother using cactaurs etc on three star dudes or just save them for 4s?

What units were you thinking of using them on? Some of the units can be awakened and ranked up and remain useful even if they start off at low rarity.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Khisanth Magus posted:

It isn't so much that the sprites for 5 and 6 are bad(although they are), but rather that they are barely edited copies of the sprites from FFD. They are the absolute lowest effort they could do for sprites.

Ff5 and 6 with FFBE style sprites would be awesome as gently caress. This game has pretty awesome sprites.

That's true, it does. I'd love that. Or if they used graphics like the PSP/GBA remakes.

5 and 6 aren't as bad as they could be though, honestly. I'm playing though 5 again now on iOS and I just don't seem to be able to be mad at it.

EDIT: I have 4 Ludmilles now, who even needs a Dualcast at this point? Refia? I've got Tillith. I just got Trance Terra's Soul of Thamasca.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 13, 2017

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
What the gently caress is this meme of putting WoL on PVP

He accomplishes nothing but completely drags the fight out immensely.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 13, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shoenin posted:

Get some space rox.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Cartoon Man posted:

Get some space rox.

I do. Tree and RAIDEN OF MIST chuck rocks at him,twice a turn.
They also tend to build holy immunity and shitloads of resistances of others. It drags out hard.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Shoenin posted:

I think you just answered your own question.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Shoenin posted:

I don't really have a better option in my party to replace arms/armor eraser, he's been pretty useful for me.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Latest update on the JP side brings us Tactician Nichol. He brings the buffs and puts Roy to shame. +110% partywide buffs that also increase burst stone rate, dualcastable. Spells are Blizzaja and Waterja, doublecast of course. LB is all stats up +134% at max level + protection from stat debuffs + healing + MP recovery. Can mana battery as well as Ace, plus it's dualcastable for double the return (can also buff and mana battery at the same time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hga7_aQLvc&t=130s

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Dragonturtle posted:

What units were you thinking of using them on? Some of the units can be awakened and ranked up and remain useful even if they start off at low rarity.

I have like a billion units man, I'm not sure. My favorite games are iv and vi but I have no idea if they're any good.

Is there like a list somewhere?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Varance posted:

increase burst stone rate

And here I thought they'd actually learned their lesson from Brave Frontier that burst spam was bad for a game.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
wait who's suggesting there are 3* base units worth upgrading? There are none. Do not.

There are 4*s worth prepping for end-game, for certain. Tillith, Rikku, Zyrus maybe, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Cobalt60 posted:

wait who's suggesting there are 3* base units worth upgrading? There are none. Do not.

There are 4*s worth prepping for end-game, for certain. Tillith, Rikku, Zyrus maybe, etc.

This is false, there are some that have their uses, dependent on your situation.

Firion is a TM machine, if you are loaded with good TMs to staple to him he is pretty dang good damage.
Cecil is a good offhealer and budget tank.
Rydia will be one of our strongest finishers shortly, when Bahamut comes around. Only 5* though, and will get replaced when Garnet gets 6*.
Cerius is actually decent enough for bar-gas, if you have no Marie.
Butz is.... a guy. He does some things. Mostly kill himself to give someone else MP.
Exdeath is a great budget mage if you have the swordmage gear for him (Enhancer, Letters and Arms)
Camille will be an excellent chainer when she gets 6* (not available for us yet)
Timothy is one of the best breakers in the game, even though he only has 5* max. People without a 9S will want Tim.

• Locked thread