Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I guess the Harry Potter & The Cursed Child guy is not writing anymore? I want to know if Snoke is Palpatine's secret love child.

And now, giant porg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTnEhlvb6jI

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child stunned me with how bad it is from just a "this is the story I want to tell" level that its terribleness on the execution of that story washes over me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

teagone posted:

It's a documentary series, idiot.

It was a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Maybe space works differently back then and there.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

euphronius posted:

That's our best hope. Also leia and solo are dead dead dead.

Abrams whole filmography is nostalgia trip.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was unaware Star Wars was a realistic depiction of outer space.

Star Wars used to be hard sci-fi. JJ thinks every planet is like right next to each other like countries. I mean I am fully aware there is SOME fantasy elements in Star Wars but Starkiller sucking up a sun and using the power to shoot a laser across the galaxy (that every planet can see in the sky apparently) and then branch off into 6 "Smart" lasers that automatically destroy 6 planets that are right next to each other that apparently make up the entire Republic was really loving horseshit. As was the lazy tv style flashbacks and changing the mythology and the ground rules of the Star Wars Universe to suit JJ's phoned in lazy style of filmmaking.

And Starkiller isn't even as dumb as that whole segment of Star Trek Into Darkness where they get out of hyper space far from earth and the ships are suspended in space, then one ship gets destroyed and somehow crashes into earth which was apparently right below it the whole time or JJ's Script for Man of Steel that makes me seriously question if he is even remotely familiar with the character or story.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr President posted:

Star Wars used to be hard sci-fi.

This is where I stopped reading.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr President posted:

Star Wars used to be hard sci-fi. JJ thinks every planet is like right next to each other like countries. I mean I am fully aware there is SOME fantasy elements in Star Wars but Starkiller sucking up a sun and using the power to shoot a laser across the galaxy (that every planet can see in the sky apparently) and then branch off into 6 "Smart" lasers that automatically destroy 6 planets that are right next to each other that apparently make up the entire Republic was really loving horseshit. As was the lazy tv style flashbacks and changing the mythology and the ground rules of the Star Wars Universe to suit JJ's phoned in lazy style of filmmaking.

And Starkiller isn't even as dumb as that whole segment of Star Trek Into Darkness where they get out of hyper space far from earth and the ships are suspended in space, then one ship gets destroyed and somehow crashes into earth which was apparently right below it the whole time or JJ's Script for Man of Steel that makes me seriously question if he is even remotely familiar with the character or story.

I mean..is the New Republic HQ being in the Hosnian system any more unbelievable than the Old Republic HQ being on Coruscant?

And no...Star Wars has literally never been hard sci-fi.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mr President posted:

what is hard sci fi

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

romanowski posted:

what is hard sci fi

Hard sci fi portrays actual penetrative science, while soft sci fi is just simulated science.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

romanowski posted:

what is hard sci fi

Hard Sci-f isi based on logically sound science, even if its more advanced than current tech. Think Interstellar; nothing is fantastical, space travel times are realistic, time dilation due to immense gravitational fields are a thing, etc.

Soft sci-fi is more fast and loose with the rules. There's no real "reason" behind why FTL travel is possible, planets are single biomes; frequently fantastical biomes. Aliens are just people with funny noses.

EDIT: Star Wars sometimes strays into hard SF territory in the EU materials, but mostly is more fantasy than hard science; and this is super-true for just the films

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 13, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Fun Fact: JJ wanted a scene during the final battle in TFA where Rey pilots an X-Wing and pops open the cockpit (in space), pulls out her lightsaber and rips a star destroyer in half with one hand holding a lightsaber and one hand on the controls of the X-wing. THIS is the kind of bullshit we are dealing with here. People who don't give a flying gently caress about staying true to the nature of Star Wars

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

I mean..is the New Republic HQ being in the Hosnian system any more unbelievable than the Old Republic HQ being on Coruscant?

And no...Star Wars has literally never been hard sci-fi.

You missed the point. Its not about the New Republic HQ its about how dumb the starkiller base is. Hurrr its an even bigger death star and it takes its energy by stealing light from the sun and firing a laser across the galaxy that can split into multiple smart lasers that can lock onto every republic planet at once.

and people give the old Star Wars EU poo poo? GIVE ME A BREAK

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr President posted:

You missed the point. Its not about the New Republic HQ its about how dumb the starkiller base is. Hurrr its an even bigger death star and it takes its energy by stealing light from the sun and firing a laser across the galaxy that can split into multiple smart lasers that can lock onto every republic planet at once.

and people give the old Star Wars EU poo poo? GIVE ME A BREAK

Ah yes, because firing a laser through hyperspace is so much more unrealistic that telekinesis, laser swords, and FTL travel.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mr President posted:

Fun Fact: JJ wanted a scene during the final battle in TFA where Rey pilots an X-Wing and pops open the cockpit (in space), pulls out her lightsaber and rips a star destroyer in half with one hand holding a lightsaber and one hand on the controls of the X-wing. THIS is the kind of bullshit we are dealing with here. People who don't give a flying gently caress about staying true to the nature of Star Wars

holy poo poo that would be fuckin badass

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr President posted:

Anakin could have done that in the opening dogfight in RotS and it wouldn't have been remotely out of place.

romanowski posted:

gently caress yeah it would be.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 13, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Schwarzwald posted:

Anakin could have done that in the opening dogfight in RotS and it wouldn't have been remotely out of place.

Anakin opening his cockpit while out in space to kill someone with a lightsaber would have indeed been boss as hell.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr President posted:

Honestly, who cares? Like, that sound silly, but who cares?

JJ Abrams just makes movies/TV shows I like. Super 8, Alias, Star Trek 09, TFA, I just like them. He gets me.

ed: He gets too much credit/damnation for Lost. He helped them with the pilot. Everything else was beyond his control.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Ah yes, because firing a laser through hyperspace is so much more unrealistic that telekinesis, laser swords, and FTL travel.

So where do we draw the line then? Its called FICTION there is going to be SOME level of fantasy elements that doesn't mean its now a free for all for lazy filmmaking.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mr President posted:

True, the Death Star was much more plausible.

:psyduck:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm annoyed with this as I can't see Abrams being able to see the universe beyond his own additions to the legacy.

Maybe this is a controversial opinion, but I feel that Episode IX should really end with Rey vs Luke, as Luke goes to the dark side and mows down Ren. Everything about the way Luke has been positioned going into VIII (not to mention it's title) suggest an eventual turn to end the Jedi order with himself. Ren was a successful merchandising character, but he clearly signals a guy in over his head, whose going to end up being usurped by something far darker than what he projects himself as. Hamill is a surprisingly great villain actor, and it'd be a fitting end to this four loving decade long build to essentially clean out both the Skywalker legacy of the first trilogy and the old Jedi politics legacy of the second to just make Luke Skywalker a bad guy and a newcomer who reluctantly answers the call of the force to cut him down. Then you have a clean slate for movies down the road that aren't necessarily about these old characters and crusty concepts.

But having watched enough of Abrams work, we're going to end the next trilogy on Millennial Skywalker vs Millennial Sith Lords Round 2, while the actors we all know and love stand in the background and grow proud.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This would have gone a long way in giving the movie some of it's own identity and drowned out a lot of the ANH remake complaints.

Star Wars is a mashup of practically everything... The series is unique for not giving a poo poo about any lines.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
Opening Crawl already leaked by Bad Robot Employees

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Science fiction can be interpreted based on the extent to which its premise exceeds what is scientifically plausible, or, in a correlated way, by the extent to which the characters' use of scientific reasoning informs their actions. A work's position along this spectrum is indicated by calling it "hard" or "soft."

When interpreting science fiction qua science fiction, especially in the context of the history of its publication, it is narrowly useful. Writers have been known to set rules for themselves about their work's hardness, in a manner analogous to mystery writers ensuring their work is "fair," by employing only fantastical elements that are theoretically possible and consistent with contemporary science with a (self-imposed and arbitrary) limited number of changes. Writers inclined to make a show of their genre conformance, especially weaker writers, sometimes excessively describe their justification for the realism of their counterfactuals. Hard science fiction typically involves involves a minimum number of inventions of the writer, which follow scientifically discoverable, universally consistent, material attributes, and whose enablement of narratively interesting scenarios is logical.

In light of this concept, Star Wars has generally been acknowledged as an example of either extremely soft science fiction, or so soft that it is not even science fiction, but rather fantasy. Under this genre definition (and understanding that genre is descriptive, fluid, and informal), fantasy means that no attempt is made to justify any counterfactual in the premise with respect to reality, only with respect to its own internal consistency, so that they can be unrestricted literalizations of metaphor.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

Science fiction can be interpreted based on the extent to which its premise exceeds what is scientifically plausible, or, in a correlated way, by the extent to which the characters' use of scientific reasoning informs their actions. A work's position along this spectrum is indicated by calling it "hard" or "soft."

When interpreting science fiction qua science fiction, especially in the context of the history of its publication, it is narrowly useful. Writers have been known to set rules for themselves about their work's hardness, in a manner analogous to mystery writers ensuring their work is "fair," by employing only fantastical elements that are theoretically possible and consistent with contemporary science with a (self-imposed and arbitrary) limited number of changes. Writers inclined to make a show of their genre conformance, especially weaker writers, sometimes excessively describe their justification for the realism of their counterfactuals. Hard science fiction typically involves involves a minimum number of inventions of the writer, which follow scientifically discoverable, universally consistent, material attributes, and whose enablement of narratively interesting scenarios is logical.

In light of this concept, Star Wars has generally been acknowledged as an example of either extremely soft science fiction, or so soft that it is not even science fiction, but rather fantasy. Under this genre definition (and understanding that genre is descriptive, fluid, and informal), fantasy means that no attempt is made to justify any counterfactual in the premise with respect to reality, only with respect to its own internal consistency, so that they can be unrestricted literalizations of metaphor.

There is nothing SOFT about this:

I had the flight stick, throttle, and rudders and read every Rogue Squadron novel. Take it from me Star Wars is as real as it gets.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 13, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Abrams got brought back on because he has no quarrels with being micromanaged by the studio. Directors and screenwriters barely have any agency in cinematic universes. It's why Disney is having problems with hiring skilled directors, as well as having to fire lovely ones.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The return of the studio system?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

RedSpider posted:

Abrams got brought back on because he has no quarrels with being micromanaged by the studio. Directors and screenwriters barely have any agency in cinematic universes. It's why Disney is having problems with hiring skilled directors, as well as having to fire lovely ones.

Yet other cinematic universes are having no issues locking in fresh directors

DC locked in Patty Jenkins (Monster), James Wan (The Conjuring, Insidious), and Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let me in, Dawn of the planet of the apes)

Marvel got Taika Waititi, James Gunn, Ryan Coogler and Scott Derrickson.

and even WB's Kaiju Cinematic Universe has been pretty successful to get up and coming directors to turn in successful projects. From Gareth Edwards to Adam Wingard and Michael Dougherty.

Lucasfilm doesn't seem to know what it wants and Iger has them on a rushed schedule to boot.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 13, 2017

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mr President posted:

Opening Crawl already leaked by Bad Robot Employees

Jubba the Hatt, dumbass

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
'Soft' Science Fiction is synonymous with Science Fantasy, and this means simply that we are immersed into a character's fantasy within a sci-fi setting.

What this means is that 'hard' and 'soft' are determined entirely by how a given film is read.

Star Wars can be read three ways:

1) Luke is a normal person who gains literal magic powers because he believes in himself a lot.
2) Luke has no actual powers. He's just an idiot in a cult.
3) Luke is a mutant and his powers come from midichlorians. These powers can be measured scientifically.

Interpretation #1 is Science Fantasy, while 2 and 3 are 'Hard' Sci-Fi. When the prequels made #3 'canon', the series became more conducive to being interpreted that way - but it is still possible for fans to be midichlorian deniers.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Mr President posted:

There is nothing SOFT about this:

I had the flight stick, throttle, and rudders and read every Rogue Squadron novel. Take it from me Star Wars is as real as it gets.

lol

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm really not a fan of the Abrams news.

I guess it's clear that Disney got tired of wrangling directors and went with someone they knew would just do what they want.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

romanowski posted:

what is hard sci fi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFCvJBS-R58

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mr President posted:

Is this a joke post? Star Wars has never been "hard sci-fi". It's always been the perfect example of the opposite of that. It has space wizards using mind powers and traveling through space using unexplained "hyperspace" to destroy mechanical moons that can blow up planets. It's fantasy set in space. Doctor loving Who has more science than Star Wars.

JJ Trek was Star Trek made by a man raised on Star Wars, so he treated the science like Star Wars does (by saying "gently caress it").

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thrawn527 posted:

Is this a joke post? Star Wars has never been "hard sci-fi". It's always been the perfect example of the opposite of that. It has space wizards using mind powers and traveling through space using unexplained "hyperspace" to destroy mechanical moons that can blow up planets. It's fantasy set in space. Doctor loving Who has more science than Star Wars.

JJ Trek was Star Trek made by a man raised on Star Wars, so he treated the science like Star Wars does (by saying "gently caress it").

The Starkiller base weapon destroying Hosnian sequence was so poorly thought out, and badly implemented, that it punctured the suspension of disbelief in a movie featuring space wizards using mind powers and traveling through space using unexplained "hyperspace" to destroy mechanical moons that can blow up planets. How does a director who did that ever get another space film again?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

romanowski posted:

RULES OF NATURE

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

NTRabbit posted:

The Starkiller base weapon destroying Hosnian sequence was so poorly thought out, and badly implemented, that it punctured the suspension of disbelief in a movie featuring space wizards using mind powers and traveling through space using unexplained "hyperspace" to destroy mechanical moons that can blow up planets. How does a director who did that ever get another space film again?

Conversely, no it didn't. It's always been made up fantasy nonsense. I don't know why this is what broke your suspension of disbelief.

He got another space film because his last one made over $2 billion.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr President posted:

Star Wars used to be hard sci-fi.

holy snokes

I guess you could claim Star Wars were hard sci-fi if it had been written by a WWI Sopwith Camel pilot who had no idea what outer space was.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

thrawn527 posted:

Conversely, no it didn't. It's always been made up fantasy nonsense. I don't know why this is what broke your suspension of disbelief.

That's the moment all the sci fi parts of the movie become a white noise, nothing makes sense and we don't care

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HmWDdmTAE8

1m22s

it's honestly the stupidest poo poo, OP

it breaks the suspension of disbelief because it operates radically differently from any other weapon or device or anything we've ever seen in a star war

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Different = bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

UmOk posted:

Different = bad

if the point was that it was different then that is good

except it was the same empire shooting the same death star except it was...A PLANET and it shoots MORE THAN ONE....and that's it?

in ANH we get a very clear visual outline of how the whole thing works:

- they find a planet
- they have to have a clear shot at it
- tarkin says they can fire at it
- a guy pulls a lever down
- creepy, descending sound, like calm before the storm
- a guy signals like, across a thing
- dudes in helmets avert their eyes
- it shoots energetically and with great force in a straight line
- planet dies

i mean i guess there's a reading where hux's rage is being made manifest and the death star is reaching out to smite those planets as an extension of the first order

but i guess my point is that there's visual language that shows the death star in ANH being the "technologial terror" that vader talks about--it's mechanical and sterile and full of process; blowing up alderaan is almost bureaucratic in the way the DS operates. like i always loved how when they get clear to shoot yavin their screens like, remove layers and stuff, like a table being cleared off or forms being signed

in tfa it's just the Original Character Do Not Steal of death stars

it's bad

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 13, 2017

• Locked thread