Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Well..never underestimate the Dems' ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, of course. They tend to be so obsessed with being the "good guys" and trying to be honorable that they fall for Republican bad faith efforts nearly every time. I am encouraged by Pelosi outmaneuvering Trump, though.

Well, some are obsessed with that image, but I honestly think that more would like to actually do things worth doing. Contrast that with a nakedly profit obsessed party, misinformed voters, and all that it entails. FOX news as a thing that exists now as state press. Net neutrality being portrayed as 'good for business.'

The modern republican party is willing to cater to an audience that wants to be lied to. We have control of every branch of government, but are under constant attack.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Liu posted:

lmao she even has dreamer written on her shirt, what the gently caress is wrong with the brains of political cartoonists honestly
Most readers won't figure it out without the text.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

KickerOfMice posted:

Well, some are obsessed with that image, but I honestly think that more would like to actually do things worth doing. Contrast that with a nakedly profit obsessed party, misinformed voters, and all that it entails. FOX news as a thing that exists now as state press. Net neutrality being portrayed as 'good for business.'

The modern republican party is willing to cater to an audience that wants to be lied to. We have control of every branch of government, but are under constant attack.

The first thing a liberal take over of this country should do is throw up constant executive mandates attacking "Entertainment Media" or whatever bullshit term fox legally battled themselves to be to avoid media rules.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

The first thing a logical take over of this country should do is throw up constant executive mandates attacking "Entertainment Media" or whatever bullshit term fox legally battled themselves to be to avoid media rules.
Fixed.

e- I thought this was just because of the worship of the 1983 (certainly silly) fair time rule.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 13, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anti-intellectualism is a time honored tradition in America.

I point you to the Brexit campaign in the UK, where one of the top men then in the government - Michael Gove, then Secretary of State for Justice - said "People in this country have had enough of experts". Plenty of the pro-Brexit campaign was rooted in the idea that the economists and politicians didn't know poo poo, and you, the common man, know far better.

It's far from a solely American tradition, is my point.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

American appropriation yet again!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/tb_times/status/907757930291847168

loving Robert E Lee Elementary is like 50% black students lmao. God is not pleased with this horseshit.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mister Adequate posted:

I point you to the Brexit campaign in the UK, where one of the top men then in the government - Michael Gove, then Secretary of State for Justice - said "People in this country have had enough of experts". Plenty of the pro-Brexit campaign was rooted in the idea that the economists and politicians didn't know poo poo, and you, the common man, know far better.

Michael Gove.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mind_Taker posted:

loving Robert E Lee Elementary is like 50% black students lmao. God is not pleased with this horseshit.

Sherman! :argh:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Those are facial ticks of pain from clapping his supple, delicate hands together

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mind_Taker posted:

Suck it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

http://www.nbc29.com/story/36351919/black-lives-matter-group-covers-uva-jefferson-statue-lists-demands

I don't want to start another derail; God knows that's the last thing we need in here. But honestly? I tend to agree with BLM about the Lee statue. They were put there for intimidation during the Jim Crow era. I agree that it's odd that we're celebrating traitors over 150 years after the war ended. I agree that we shouldn't honor white slave owners of the 19th century.

But stunts like this are not winning them any converts. All it's doing is proving the point of those who were whining about slippery slopes and "extremists". It's one thing to question the honor and patriotism of someone like Lee. But someone as relatively unimpeachable as Jefferson is a step too far; even for me, and I'm definitely sympathetic to their cause. They're going to make a laughingstock of themselves and destroy whatever momentum that was gained.

Probably going to piss someone off by taking that stance, but if you're going to pick a fight like this, you have to be smart about it rather than playing into your opponents' hands.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

But stunts like this are not winning them any converts. All it's doing is proving the point of those who were whining about slippery slopes and "extremists". It's one thing to question the honor and patriotism of someone like Lee. But someone as relatively unimpeachable as Jefferson is a step too far; even for me, and I'm definitely sympathetic to their cause. They're going to make a laughingstock of themselves and destroy whatever momentum that was gained.

America has learned the price of statue removal, and it is blood.

1 dead patriot = 6 statues removed

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

http://www.nbc29.com/story/36351919/black-lives-matter-group-covers-uva-jefferson-statue-lists-demands

I don't want to start another derail; God knows that's the last thing we need in here. But honestly? I tend to agree with BLM about the Lee statue. They were put there for intimidation during the Jim Crow era. I agree that it's odd that we're celebrating traitors over 150 years after the war ended. I agree that we shouldn't honor white slave owners of the 19th century.

Probably going to piss someone off by taking that stance, but if you're going to pick a fight like this, you have to be smart about it rather than playing into your opponents' hands.

I would say this is true if only because America is not ready to face its founding fathers yet. It can barely deal with actual, straight-up slave-owning racist traitors, much less the founders (who were also slave-owning racist traitors... but of a different type, etc).

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

yeah i guess it's better that we not talk about how he raped his slaves just to spare random white people's feelings

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

boner confessor posted:

yeah i guess it's better that we not talk about how he raped his slaves just to spare random white people's feelings

You gotta let white people down easily. We have fragile egos and if they get bruised, we tend to go on genocidal sprees. :p

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You should have posted this in the USpol thread then it wouldn't be a detail.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
e: Yeah, fine, take it to uspol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I don't see much value in an elementary school burning down just because it has an unfortunate name.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

boner confessor posted:

I'd personally argue the solution is to put up more statues of Sally Hemmings, but that's just me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I don't see much value in an elementary school burning down just because it has an unfortunate name.

Especially not with DeVos still heading the education department. :(

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Jefferson owned his kids as slaves.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mind_Taker posted:

I think that counts as 30%, actually

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
^^:drat:
:vince:

See, that's the thing. Democrats lost many or all of the high profile races, like Ossoff's back in June (?), but they seem to be quietly gaining seats where they weren't competitive just an election or two ago. That to me is a very good sign for their chances. The GOP is definitely vulnerable.
There's been some discussion on this in USPOL. Both moderates and the fringes have started resigning in advance of 2018, and the constant whisper is that there's more coming. The energy within the party has improved both the quantity and quality of recruitment, and the warchests they've started building are, in some cases, matching the incumbent's. If Bannon, Heritage, and the Kochs do start building primary challengers, expect to see more drop off. Establishment/DC GOP media has already started making the threats. If Dems avoid factionalization next November, they've got a legitimate shot at the House and that could put the Senate in play (though it's still wildly unlikely). The usual chorus would still be chirping if the relevant orgs spread the money more evenly (or abandoned Ossoff) given that the most likely outcome in any scenario would have been 3 relatively narrow losses.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Your digression is actually the meat of this drat post and is very sound advice.
I appreciate the feedback, I've been trying to stick more towards thread topics now that USPol has been resurrected, but I'm glad you appreciated.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Mind_Taker posted:

Its all white people in the picture

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

I'm riding on the assumption the replacement school will not be named after a traitor.

It's an assumption for sure but I'm an optimist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm riding on the assumption the replacement school will not be named after a traitor.

It's an assumption for sure but I'm an optimist.

We will rebuild it exactly as it was but TEN FEET HIGHER.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I mean, the powers that be have no reason whatsoever to do this.

Meanwhile there's a bunch of little kids left without a school, teachers out of work, library books/supplies turned to ashes, administrative boards that will probably skimp on repair funding, etc, etc

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

KickerOfMice posted:

How does a Persian girl get her hair up that high? <--- Pressing question.

Apparently after the news came out that she lied about being attacked by Trump supporters, her parents made her shave her head :psyduck: Or that might have been because they were mad she was dating a Christian? That whole case is strange.

https://twitter.com/monaeltahawy/status/809506871648260096

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

I mean, the powers that be have no reason whatsoever to do this.

Meanwhile there's a bunch of little kids left without a school, teachers out of work, library books/supplies turned to ashes, administrative boards that will probably skimp on repair funding, etc, etc

The other assumptions that they'll all go cram into other nearby schools.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Feral Integral posted:

Its all white people in the picture

👏 For👏twelve👏years,👏you👏have👏been👏asking:👏Who👏is👏John👏Galt?👏This👏is👏John👏Galt👏speaking.👏I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏loves👏his👏life.👏I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏does👏not👏sacrifice👏his👏love👏or👏his👏values.👏I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏has👏deprived👏you👏of👏victims👏and👏thus👏has👏destroyed👏your👏world,👏and👏if👏you👏wish👏to👏know👏why👏you👏are👏perishing—you👏who👏dread👏knowledge—I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏will👏now👏tell👏you.”👏The👏chief👏engineer👏was👏the👏only👏one👏able👏to👏move;👏he👏ran👏to👏a👏television👏set👏and👏struggled👏frantically👏with👏its👏dials.👏But👏the👏screen👏remained👏empty;👏the👏speaker👏had👏not👏chosen👏to👏be👏seen.👏Only👏his👏voice👏filled👏the👏airways👏of👏the👏country—of👏the👏world,👏thought👏the👏chief👏engineer—sounding👏as👏if👏he👏were👏speaking👏here,👏in👏this👏room,👏not👏to👏a👏group,👏but👏to👏one👏man;👏it👏was👏not👏the👏tone👏of👏addressing👏a👏meeting,👏but👏the👏tone👏of👏addressing👏a👏mind.👏

👏“You👏have👏heard👏it👏said👏that👏this👏is👏an👏age👏of👏moral👏crisis.👏You👏have👏said👏it👏yourself,👏half👏in👏fear,👏half👏in👏hope👏that👏the👏words👏had👏no👏meaning.👏You👏have👏cried👏that👏man’s👏sins👏are👏destroying👏the👏world👏and👏you👏have👏cursed👏human👏nature👏for👏its👏unwillingness👏to👏practice👏the👏virtues👏you👏demanded.👏Since👏virtue,👏to👏you,👏consists👏of👏sacrifice,👏you👏have👏demanded👏more👏sacrifices👏at👏every👏successive👏disaster.👏In👏the👏name👏of👏a👏return👏to👏morality,👏you👏have👏sacrificed👏all👏those👏evils👏which👏you👏held👏as👏the👏cause👏of👏your👏plight.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏justice👏to👏mercy.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏independence👏to👏unity.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏reason👏to👏faith.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏wealth👏to👏need.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏self-esteem👏to👏self-denial.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏happiness👏to👏duty.👏

👏“You👏have👏destroyed👏all👏that👏which👏you👏held👏to👏be👏evil👏and👏achieved👏all👏that👏which👏you👏held👏to👏be👏good.👏Why,👏then,👏do👏you👏shrink👏in👏horror👏from👏the👏sight👏of👏the👏world👏around👏you?👏That👏world👏is👏not👏the👏product👏of👏your👏sins,👏it👏is👏the👏product👏and👏the👏image👏of👏your👏virtues.👏It👏is👏your👏moral👏ideal👏brought👏into👏reality👏in👏its👏full👏and👏final👏perfection.👏You👏have👏fought👏for👏it,👏you👏have👏dreamed👏of👏it,👏and👏you👏have👏wished👏it,👏and👏I—I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏has👏granted👏you👏your👏wish.👏

👏“Your👏ideal👏had👏an👏implacable👏enemy,👏which👏your👏code👏of👏morality👏was👏designed👏to👏destroy.👏I👏have👏withdrawn👏that👏enemy.👏I👏have👏taken👏it👏out👏of👏your👏way👏and👏out👏of👏your👏reach.👏I👏have👏removed👏the👏source👏of👏all👏those👏evils👏you👏were👏sacrificing👏one👏by👏one.👏I👏have👏ended👏your👏battle.👏I👏have👏stopped👏your👏motor.👏I👏have👏deprived👏your👏world👏of👏man’s👏mind.👏

👏“Men👏do👏not👏live👏by👏the👏mind,👏you👏say?👏I👏have👏withdrawn👏those👏who👏do.👏The👏mind👏is👏impotent,👏you👏say?👏I👏have👏withdrawn👏those👏whose👏mind👏isn’t.👏There👏are👏values👏higher👏than👏the👏mind,👏you👏say?👏I👏have👏withdrawn👏those👏for👏whom👏there👏aren’t.👏

👏“While👏you👏were👏dragging👏to👏your👏sacrificial👏altars👏the👏men👏of👏justice,👏of👏independence,👏of👏reason,👏of👏wealth,👏of👏self-esteem—I👏beat👏you👏to👏it,👏I👏reached👏them👏first.👏I👏told👏them👏the👏nature👏of👏the👏game👏you👏were👏playing👏and👏the👏nature👏of👏that👏moral👏code👏of👏yours,👏which👏they👏had👏been👏too👏innocently👏generous👏to👏grasp.👏I👏showed👏them👏the👏way👏to👏live👏by👏another👏morality—mine.👏It👏is👏mine👏that👏they👏chose👏to👏follow.👏

👏“All👏the👏men👏who👏have👏vanished,👏the👏men👏you👏hated,👏yet👏dreaded👏to👏lose,👏it👏is👏I👏who👏have👏taken👏them👏away👏from👏you.👏Do👏not👏attempt👏to👏find👏us.👏We👏do👏not👏choose👏to👏be👏found.👏Do👏not👏cry👏that👏it👏is👏our👏duty👏to👏serve👏you.👏We👏do👏not👏recognize👏such👏duty.👏Do👏not👏cry👏that👏you👏need👏us.👏We👏do👏not👏consider👏need👏a👏claim.👏Do👏not👏cry👏that👏you👏own👏us.👏You👏don’t.👏Do👏not👏beg👏us👏to👏return.👏We👏are👏on👏strike,👏we,👏the👏men👏of👏the👏mind.👏

👏“We👏are👏on👏strike👏against👏self-immolation.👏We👏are👏on👏strike👏against👏the👏creed👏of👏unearned👏rewards👏and👏unrewarded👏duties.👏We👏are👏on👏strike👏against👏the👏dogma👏that👏the👏pursuit👏of👏one’s👏happiness👏is👏evil.👏We👏are👏on👏strike👏against👏the👏doctrine👏that👏life👏is👏guilt.👏

👏“There👏is👏a👏difference👏between👏our👏strike👏and👏all👏those👏you’ve👏practiced👏for👏centuries:👏our👏strike👏consists,👏not👏of👏making👏demands,👏but👏of👏granting👏them.👏We👏are👏evil,👏according👏to👏your👏morality.👏We👏have👏chosen👏not👏to👏harm👏you👏any👏longer.👏We👏are👏useless,👏according👏to👏your👏economics.👏We👏have👏chosen👏not👏to👏exploit👏you👏any👏longer.👏We👏are👏dangerous👏and👏to👏be👏shackled,👏according👏to👏your👏politics.👏We👏have👏chosen👏not👏to👏endanger👏you,👏nor👏to👏wear👏the👏shackles👏any👏longer.👏We👏are👏only👏an👏illusion,👏according👏to👏your👏philosophy.👏We👏have👏chosen👏not👏to👏blind👏you👏any👏longer👏and👏have👏left👏you👏free👏to👏face👏reality—the👏reality👏you👏wanted,👏the👏world👏as👏you👏see👏it👏now,👏a👏world👏without👏mind.👏

👏“We👏have👏granted👏you👏everything👏you👏demanded👏of👏us,👏we👏who👏had👏always👏been👏the👏givers,👏but👏have👏only👏now👏understood👏it.👏We👏have👏no👏demands👏to👏present👏to👏you,👏no👏terms👏to👏bargain👏about,👏no👏compromise👏to👏reach.👏You👏have👏nothing👏to👏offer👏us.👏We👏do👏not👏need👏you.👏

👏“Are👏you👏now👏crying:👏No,👏this👏was👏not👏what👏you👏wanted?👏A👏mindless👏world👏of👏ruins👏was👏not👏your👏goal?👏You👏did👏not👏want👏us👏to👏leave👏you?👏You👏moral👏cannibals,👏I👏know👏that👏you’ve👏always👏known👏what👏it👏was👏that👏you👏wanted.👏But👏your👏game👏is👏up,👏because👏now👏we👏know👏it,👏too.👏

👏“Through👏centuries👏of👏scourges👏and👏disasters,👏brought👏about👏by👏your👏code👏of👏morality,👏you👏have👏cried👏that👏your👏code👏had👏been👏broken,👏that👏the👏scourges👏were👏punishment👏for👏breaking👏it,👏that👏men👏were👏too👏weak👏and👏too👏selfish👏to👏spill👏all👏the👏blood👏it👏required.👏You👏damned👏man,👏you👏damned👏existence,👏you👏damned👏this👏earth,👏but👏never👏dared👏to👏question👏your👏code.👏Your👏victims👏took👏the👏blame👏and👏struggled👏on,👏with👏your👏curses👏as👏reward👏for👏their👏martyrdom—while👏you👏went👏on👏crying👏that👏your👏code👏was👏noble,👏but👏human👏nature👏was👏not👏good👏enough👏to👏practice👏it.👏And👏no👏one👏rose👏to👏ask👏the👏question:👏Good?—by👏what👏standard?👏

👏“You👏wanted👏to👏know👏John👏Galt’s👏identity.👏I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏has👏asked👏that👏question.👏

👏“Yes,👏this👏is👏an👏age👏of👏moral👏crisis.👏Yes,👏you👏are👏bearing👏punishment👏for👏your👏evil.👏But👏it👏is👏not👏man👏who👏is👏now👏on👏trial👏and👏it👏is👏not👏human👏nature👏that👏will👏take👏the👏blame.👏It👏is👏your👏moral👏code👏that’s👏through,👏this👏time.👏Your👏moral👏code👏has👏reached👏its👏climax,👏the👏blind👏alley👏at👏the👏end👏of👏its👏course.👏And👏if👏you👏wish👏to👏go👏on👏living,👏what👏you👏now👏need👏is👏not👏to👏return👏to👏morality—you👏who👏have👏never👏known👏any—but👏to👏discover👏it.👏

👏“You👏have👏heard👏no👏concepts👏of👏morality👏but👏the👏mystical👏or👏the👏social.👏You👏have👏been👏taught👏that👏morality👏is👏a👏code👏of👏behavior👏imposed👏on👏you👏by👏whim,👏the👏whim👏of👏a👏supernatural👏power👏or👏the👏whim👏of👏society,👏to👏serve👏God’s👏purpose👏or👏your👏neighbor’s👏welfare,👏to👏please👏an👏authority👏beyond👏the👏grave👏or👏else👏next👏door—but👏not👏to👏serve👏your👏life👏or👏pleasure.👏Your👏pleasure,👏you👏have👏been👏taught,👏is👏to👏be👏found👏in👏immorality,👏your👏interests👏would👏best👏be👏served👏by👏evil,👏and👏any👏moral👏code👏must👏be👏designed👏not👏for👏you,👏but👏against👏you,👏not👏to👏further👏your👏life,👏but👏to👏drain👏it.👏

👏“For👏centuries,👏the👏battle👏of👏morality👏was👏fought👏between👏those👏who👏claimed👏that👏your👏life👏belongs👏to👏God👏and👏those👏who👏claimed👏that👏it👏belongs👏to👏your👏neighbors—between👏those👏who👏preached👏that👏the👏good👏is👏self-sacrifice👏for👏the👏sake👏of👏ghosts👏in👏heaven👏and👏those👏who👏preached👏that👏the👏good👏is👏self-sacrifice👏for👏the👏sake👏of👏incompetents👏on👏earth.👏And👏no👏one👏came👏to👏say👏that👏your👏life👏belongs👏to👏you👏and👏that👏the👏good👏is👏to👏live👏it.👏

👏“Both👏sides👏agreed👏that👏morality👏demands👏the👏surrender👏of👏your👏self-interest👏and👏of👏your👏mind,👏that👏the👏moral👏and👏the👏practical👏are👏opposites,👏that👏morality👏is👏not👏the👏province👏of👏reason,👏but👏the👏province👏of👏faith👏and👏force.👏Both👏sides👏agreed👏that👏no👏rational👏morality👏is👏possible,👏that👏there👏is👏no👏right👏or👏wrong👏in👏reason—that👏in👏reason👏there’s👏no👏reason👏to👏be👏moral.👏

👏“Whatever👏else👏they👏fought👏about,👏it👏was👏against👏man’s👏mind👏that👏all👏your👏moralists👏have👏stood👏united.👏It👏was👏man’s👏mind👏that👏all👏their👏schemes👏and👏systems👏were👏intended👏to👏despoil👏and👏destroy.👏Now👏choose👏to👏perish👏or👏to👏learn👏that👏the👏anti-mind👏is👏the👏anti-life.👏

👏“Man’s👏mind👏is👏his👏basic👏tool👏of👏survival.👏Life👏is👏given👏to👏him,👏survival👏is👏not.👏His👏body👏is👏given👏to👏him,👏its👏sustenance👏is👏not.👏His👏mind👏is👏given👏to👏him,👏its👏content👏is👏not.👏To👏remain👏alive,👏he👏must👏act,👏and👏before👏he👏can👏act👏he👏must👏know👏the👏nature👏and👏purpose👏of👏his👏action.👏He👏cannot👏obtain👏his👏food👏without👏a👏knowledge👏of👏food👏and👏of👏the👏way👏to👏obtain👏it.👏He👏cannot👏dig👏a👏ditch-or👏build👏a👏cyclotron—without👏a👏knowledge👏of👏his👏aim👏and👏of👏the👏means👏to👏achieve👏it.👏To👏remain👏alive,👏he👏must👏think.👏

👏“But👏to👏think👏is👏an👏act👏of👏choice.👏The👏key👏to👏what👏you👏so👏recklessly👏call👏‘human👏nature,’👏the👏open👏secret👏you👏live👏with,👏yet👏dread👏to👏name,👏is👏the👏fact👏that👏man👏is👏a👏being👏of👏volitional👏consciousness.👏Reason👏does👏not👏work👏automatically;👏thinking👏is👏not👏a👏mechanical👏process;👏the👏connections👏of👏logic👏are👏not👏made👏by👏instinct.👏The👏function👏of👏your👏stomach,👏lungs👏or👏heart👏is👏automatic;👏the👏function👏of👏your👏mind👏is👏not.👏In👏any👏hour👏and👏issue👏of👏your👏life,👏you👏are👏free👏to👏think👏or👏to👏evade👏that👏effort.👏But👏you👏are👏not👏free👏to👏escape👏from👏your👏nature,👏from👏the👏fact👏that👏reason👏is👏your👏means👏of👏survival—so👏that👏for👏you,👏who👏are👏a👏human👏being,👏the👏question👏‘to👏be👏or👏not👏to👏be’👏is👏the👏question👏‘to’👏think👏or👏not👏to👏think.’👏

👏“A👏being👏of👏volitional👏consciousness👏has👏no👏automatic👏course👏of👏behavior.👏He👏needs👏a👏code👏of👏values👏to👏guide👏his👏actions.👏‘Value’👏is👏that👏which👏one👏acts👏to👏gain👏and👏keep,👏‘virtue’👏is👏the👏action👏by👏which👏one👏gains👏and👏keeps👏it.👏‘Value’👏presupposes👏an👏answer👏to👏the👏question:👏of👏value👏to👏whom👏and👏for👏what?👏‘Value’👏presupposes👏a👏standard,👏a👏purpose👏and👏the👏necessity👏of👏action👏in👏the👏face👏of👏an👏alternative.👏Where👏there👏are👏no👏alternatives,👏no👏values👏are👏possible.👏

👏“There👏is👏only👏one👏fundamental👏alternative👏in👏the👏universe:👏existence👏or👏non-existence—and👏it👏pertains👏to👏a👏single👏class👏of👏entities:👏to👏living👏organisms.👏The👏existence👏of👏inanimate👏matter👏is👏unconditional,👏the👏existence👏of👏life👏is👏not;👏it👏depends👏on👏a👏specific👏course👏of👏action.👏Matter👏is👏indestructible,👏it👏changes👏its👏forms,👏but👏it👏cannot👏cease👏to👏exist.👏It👏is👏only👏a👏living👏organism👏that👏faces👏a👏constant👏alternative:👏the👏issue👏of👏life👏or👏death.👏Life👏is👏a👏process👏of👏self-sustaining👏and-self-generated👏action.👏If👏an👏organism👏fails👏in👏that👏action,👏it👏does;👏its👏chemical👏elements👏remain,👏but👏its👏life👏goes👏out👏of👏existence.👏It👏is👏only👏the👏concept👏of👏‘Life’👏that👏makes👏the👏concept👏of👏‘Value’👏possible.👏It👏is👏only👏to👏a👏living👏entity👏that👏things👏can👏be👏good👏or👏evil.👏

👏“A👏plant👏must👏feed👏itself👏in👏order👏to👏live;👏the👏sunlight,👏the👏water,👏the👏chemicals👏it👏needs👏are👏the👏values👏its👏nature👏has👏set👏it👏to👏pursue;👏its👏life👏is👏the👏standard👏of👏value👏directing👏its👏actions.👏But👏a👏plant👏has👏no👏choice👏of👏action;👏there👏are👏alternatives👏in👏the👏conditions👏it👏encounters,👏but👏there👏is👏no👏alternative👏in👏its👏function:👏it👏acts👏automatically👏to👏further👏its👏life,👏it👏cannot👏act👏for👏its👏own👏destruction.👏

👏“An👏animal👏is👏equipped👏for👏sustaining👏its👏life;👏its👏senses👏provide👏it👏with👏an👏automatic👏code👏of👏action,👏an👏automatic👏knowledge👏of👏what👏is👏good👏for👏it👏or👏evil.👏It👏has👏no👏power👏to👏extend👏its👏knowledge👏or👏to👏evade👏it.👏In👏conditions👏where👏its👏knowledge👏proves👏inadequate,👏it👏dies.👏But👏so👏long👏as👏it👏lives,👏it👏acts👏on👏its👏knowledge,👏with👏automatic👏safety👏and👏no👏power👏of👏choice,👏it👏is👏unable👏to👏ignore👏its👏own👏good,👏unable👏to👏decide👏to👏choose👏the👏evil👏and👏act👏as👏its👏own👏destroyer.👏

👏“Man👏has👏no👏automatic👏code👏of👏survival.👏His👏particular👏distinction👏from👏all👏other👏living👏species👏is👏the👏necessity👏to👏act👏in👏the👏face👏of👏alternatives👏by👏means👏of👏volitional👏choice.👏He👏has👏no👏automatic👏knowledge👏of👏what👏is👏good👏for👏him👏or👏evil,👏what👏values👏his👏life👏depends👏on,👏what👏course👏of👏action👏it👏requires.👏Are👏you👏prattling👏about👏an👏instinct👏of👏self-preservation?👏An👏instinct👏of👏self-preservation👏is👏precisely👏what👏man👏does👏not👏possess.👏An👏‘instinct’👏is👏an👏unerring👏and👏automatic👏form👏of👏knowledge.👏A👏desire👏is👏not👏an👏instinct.👏A👏desire👏to👏live👏does👏not👏give👏you👏the👏knowledge👏required👏for👏living.👏And👏even👏man’s👏desire👏to👏live👏is👏not👏automatic:👏your👏secret👏evil👏today👏is👏that👏that👏is👏the👏desire👏you👏do👏not👏hold.👏Your👏fear👏of👏death👏is👏not👏a👏love👏of👏life👏and👏will👏not👏give👏you👏the👏knowledge👏needed👏to👏keep👏it.👏Man👏must👏obtain👏his👏knowledge👏and👏choose👏his👏actions👏by👏a👏process👏of👏thinking,👏which👏nature👏will👏not👏force👏him👏t9👏perform.👏Man👏has👏the👏power👏to👏act👏as👏his👏own👏destroyer—and👏that👏is👏the👏way👏he👏has👏acted👏through👏most👏of👏his👏history.👏

👏“A👏living👏entity👏that👏regarded👏its👏means👏of👏survival👏as👏evil,👏would👏not👏survive.👏A👏plant👏that👏struggled👏to👏mangle👏its👏roots,👏a👏bird👏that👏fought👏to👏break👏its👏wings👏would👏not👏remain👏for👏long👏in👏the👏existence👏they👏affronted.👏But👏the👏history👏of👏man👏has👏been👏a👏struggle👏to👏deny👏and👏to👏destroy👏his👏mind.👏

👏“Man👏has👏been👏called👏a👏rational👏being,👏but👏rationality👏is👏a👏matter👏of👏choice—and👏the👏alternative👏his👏nature👏offers👏him👏is:👏rational👏being👏or👏suicidal👏animal.👏Man👏has👏to👏be👏man—by👏choice;👏he👏has👏to👏hold👏his👏life👏as👏a👏value—by👏choice:👏he👏has👏to👏learn👏to👏sustain👏it—by👏choice;👏he👏has👏to👏discover👏the👏values👏it👏requires👏and👏practice👏his👏virtues—by👏choice.👏

👏“A👏code👏of👏values👏accepted👏by👏choice👏is👏a👏code👏of👏morality.👏

👏“Whoever👏you👏are,👏you👏who👏are👏hearing👏me👏now,👏I👏am👏speaking👏to👏whatever👏living👏remnant👏is👏left👏uncorrupted👏within👏you,👏to👏the👏remnant👏of👏the👏human,👏to👏your👏mind,👏and👏I👏say:👏There👏is👏a👏morality👏of👏reason,👏a👏morality👏proper👏to👏man,👏and👏Man’s👏Life👏is👏its👏standard👏of👏value.👏

👏“All👏that👏which👏is👏proper👏to👏the👏life👏of👏a👏rational👏being👏is👏the👏good;👏all👏that👏which👏destroys👏it👏is👏the👏evil.👏

👏“Man’s👏life,👏as👏required👏by👏his👏nature,👏is👏not👏the👏life👏of👏a👏mindless👏brute,👏of👏a👏looting👏thug👏or👏a👏mooching👏mystic,👏but👏the👏life👏of👏a👏thinking👏being—not👏life👏by👏means👏of👏force👏or👏fraud,👏but👏life👏by👏means👏of👏achievement—not👏survival👏at👏any👏price,👏since👏there’s👏only👏one👏price👏that👏pays👏for👏man’s👏survival:👏reason.👏

👏“Man’s👏life👏is👏the👏standard👏of👏morality,👏but👏your👏own👏life👏is👏its👏purpose.👏If👏existence👏on👏earth👏is👏your👏goal,👏you👏must👏choose👏your👏actions👏and👏values👏by👏the👏standard👏of👏that👏which👏is👏proper👏to👏man—for👏the👏purpose👏of👏preserving,👏fulfilling👏and👏enjoying👏the👏irreplaceable👏value👏which👏is👏your👏life.👏

👏“Since👏life👏requires👏a👏specific👏course👏of👏action,👏any👏other👏course👏will👏destroy👏it.👏A👏being👏who👏does👏not👏hold👏his👏own👏life👏as👏the👏motive👏and👏goal👏of👏his👏actions,👏is👏acting👏on👏the👏motive👏and👏standard👏of👏death.👏Such👏a👏being👏is👏a👏metaphysical👏monstrosity,👏struggling👏to👏oppose,👏negate👏and👏contradict👏the👏fact👏of👏his👏own👏existence,👏running👏blindly👏amuck👏on👏a👏trail👏of👏destruction,👏capable👏of👏nothing👏but👏pain.👏

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Socks4Hands posted:

👏 For👏twelve👏years,👏you👏have👏been👏asking:👏Who👏is👏John👏Galt?👏This👏is👏John👏Galt👏speaking.👏I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏loves👏his👏life.👏I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏does👏not👏sacrifice👏his👏love👏or👏his👏values.👏I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏has👏deprived👏you👏of👏victims👏and👏thus👏has👏destroyed👏your👏world,👏and👏if👏you👏wish👏to👏know👏why👏you👏are👏perishing—you👏who👏dread👏knowledge—I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏will👏now👏tell👏you.”👏The👏chief👏engineer👏was👏the👏only👏one👏able👏to👏move;👏he👏ran👏to👏a👏television👏set👏and👏struggled👏frantically👏with👏its👏dials.👏But👏the👏screen👏remained👏empty;👏the👏speaker👏had👏not👏chosen👏to👏be👏seen.👏Only👏his👏voice👏filled👏the👏airways👏of👏the👏country—of👏the👏world,👏thought👏the👏chief👏engineer—sounding👏as👏if👏he👏were👏speaking👏here,👏in👏this👏room,👏not👏to👏a👏group,👏but👏to👏one👏man;👏it👏was👏not👏the👏tone👏of👏addressing👏a👏meeting,👏but👏the👏tone👏of👏addressing👏a👏mind.👏

👏“You👏have👏heard👏it👏said👏that👏this👏is👏an👏age👏of👏moral👏crisis.👏You👏have👏said👏it👏yourself,👏half👏in👏fear,👏half👏in👏hope👏that👏the👏words👏had👏no👏meaning.👏You👏have👏cried👏that👏man’s👏sins👏are👏destroying👏the👏world👏and👏you👏have👏cursed👏human👏nature👏for👏its👏unwillingness👏to👏practice👏the👏virtues👏you👏demanded.👏Since👏virtue,👏to👏you,👏consists👏of👏sacrifice,👏you👏have👏demanded👏more👏sacrifices👏at👏every👏successive👏disaster.👏In👏the👏name👏of👏a👏return👏to👏morality,👏you👏have👏sacrificed👏all👏those👏evils👏which👏you👏held👏as👏the👏cause👏of👏your👏plight.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏justice👏to👏mercy.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏independence👏to👏unity.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏reason👏to👏faith.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏wealth👏to👏need.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏self-esteem👏to👏self-denial.👏You👏have👏sacrificed👏happiness👏to👏duty.👏

👏“You👏have👏destroyed👏all👏that👏which👏you👏held👏to👏be👏evil👏and👏achieved👏all👏that👏which👏you👏held👏to👏be👏good.👏Why,👏then,👏do👏you👏shrink👏in👏horror👏from👏the👏sight👏of👏the👏world👏around👏you?👏That👏world👏is👏not👏the👏product👏of👏your👏sins,👏it👏is👏the👏product👏and👏the👏image👏of👏your👏virtues.👏It👏is👏your👏moral👏ideal👏brought👏into👏reality👏in👏its👏full👏and👏final👏perfection.👏You👏have👏fought👏for👏it,👏you👏have👏dreamed👏of👏it,👏and👏you👏have👏wished👏it,👏and👏I—I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏has👏granted👏you👏your👏wish.👏

👏“Your👏ideal👏had👏an👏implacable👏enemy,👏which👏your👏code👏of👏morality👏was👏designed👏to👏destroy.👏I👏have👏withdrawn👏that👏enemy.👏I👏have👏taken👏it👏out👏of👏your👏way👏and👏out👏of👏your👏reach.👏I👏have👏removed👏the👏source👏of👏all👏those👏evils👏you👏were👏sacrificing👏one👏by👏one.👏I👏have👏ended👏your👏battle.👏I👏have👏stopped👏your👏motor.👏I👏have👏deprived👏your👏world👏of👏man’s👏mind.👏

👏“Men👏do👏not👏live👏by👏the👏mind,👏you👏say?👏I👏have👏withdrawn👏those👏who👏do.👏The👏mind👏is👏impotent,👏you👏say?👏I👏have👏withdrawn👏those👏whose👏mind👏isn’t.👏There👏are👏values👏higher👏than👏the👏mind,👏you👏say?👏I👏have👏withdrawn👏those👏for👏whom👏there👏aren’t.👏

👏“While👏you👏were👏dragging👏to👏your👏sacrificial👏altars👏the👏men👏of👏justice,👏of👏independence,👏of👏reason,👏of👏wealth,👏of👏self-esteem—I👏beat👏you👏to👏it,👏I👏reached👏them👏first.👏I👏told👏them👏the👏nature👏of👏the👏game👏you👏were👏playing👏and👏the👏nature👏of👏that👏moral👏code👏of👏yours,👏which👏they👏had👏been👏too👏innocently👏generous👏to👏grasp.👏I👏showed👏them👏the👏way👏to👏live👏by👏another👏morality—mine.👏It👏is👏mine👏that👏they👏chose👏to👏follow.👏

👏“All👏the👏men👏who👏have👏vanished,👏the👏men👏you👏hated,👏yet👏dreaded👏to👏lose,👏it👏is👏I👏who👏have👏taken👏them👏away👏from👏you.👏Do👏not👏attempt👏to👏find👏us.👏We👏do👏not👏choose👏to👏be👏found.👏Do👏not👏cry👏that👏it👏is👏our👏duty👏to👏serve👏you.👏We👏do👏not👏recognize👏such👏duty.👏Do👏not👏cry👏that👏you👏need👏us.👏We👏do👏not👏consider👏need👏a👏claim.👏Do👏not👏cry👏that👏you👏own👏us.👏You👏don’t.👏Do👏not👏beg👏us👏to👏return.👏We👏are👏on👏strike,👏we,👏the👏men👏of👏the👏mind.👏

👏“We👏are👏on👏strike👏against👏self-immolation.👏We👏are👏on👏strike👏against👏the👏creed👏of👏unearned👏rewards👏and👏unrewarded👏duties.👏We👏are👏on👏strike👏against👏the👏dogma👏that👏the👏pursuit👏of👏one’s👏happiness👏is👏evil.👏We👏are👏on👏strike👏against👏the👏doctrine👏that👏life👏is👏guilt.👏

👏“There👏is👏a👏difference👏between👏our👏strike👏and👏all👏those👏you’ve👏practiced👏for👏centuries:👏our👏strike👏consists,👏not👏of👏making👏demands,👏but👏of👏granting👏them.👏We👏are👏evil,👏according👏to👏your👏morality.👏We👏have👏chosen👏not👏to👏harm👏you👏any👏longer.👏We👏are👏useless,👏according👏to👏your👏economics.👏We👏have👏chosen👏not👏to👏exploit👏you👏any👏longer.👏We👏are👏dangerous👏and👏to👏be👏shackled,👏according👏to👏your👏politics.👏We👏have👏chosen👏not👏to👏endanger👏you,👏nor👏to👏wear👏the👏shackles👏any👏longer.👏We👏are👏only👏an👏illusion,👏according👏to👏your👏philosophy.👏We👏have👏chosen👏not👏to👏blind👏you👏any👏longer👏and👏have👏left👏you👏free👏to👏face👏reality—the👏reality👏you👏wanted,👏the👏world👏as👏you👏see👏it👏now,👏a👏world👏without👏mind.👏

👏“We👏have👏granted👏you👏everything👏you👏demanded👏of👏us,👏we👏who👏had👏always👏been👏the👏givers,👏but👏have👏only👏now👏understood👏it.👏We👏have👏no👏demands👏to👏present👏to👏you,👏no👏terms👏to👏bargain👏about,👏no👏compromise👏to👏reach.👏You👏have👏nothing👏to👏offer👏us.👏We👏do👏not👏need👏you.👏

👏“Are👏you👏now👏crying:👏No,👏this👏was👏not👏what👏you👏wanted?👏A👏mindless👏world👏of👏ruins👏was👏not👏your👏goal?👏You👏did👏not👏want👏us👏to👏leave👏you?👏You👏moral👏cannibals,👏I👏know👏that👏you’ve👏always👏known👏what👏it👏was👏that👏you👏wanted.👏But👏your👏game👏is👏up,👏because👏now👏we👏know👏it,👏too.👏

👏“Through👏centuries👏of👏scourges👏and👏disasters,👏brought👏about👏by👏your👏code👏of👏morality,👏you👏have👏cried👏that👏your👏code👏had👏been👏broken,👏that👏the👏scourges👏were👏punishment👏for👏breaking👏it,👏that👏men👏were👏too👏weak👏and👏too👏selfish👏to👏spill👏all👏the👏blood👏it👏required.👏You👏damned👏man,👏you👏damned👏existence,👏you👏damned👏this👏earth,👏but👏never👏dared👏to👏question👏your👏code.👏Your👏victims👏took👏the👏blame👏and👏struggled👏on,👏with👏your👏curses👏as👏reward👏for👏their👏martyrdom—while👏you👏went👏on👏crying👏that👏your👏code👏was👏noble,👏but👏human👏nature👏was👏not👏good👏enough👏to👏practice👏it.👏And👏no👏one👏rose👏to👏ask👏the👏question:👏Good?—by👏what👏standard?👏

👏“You👏wanted👏to👏know👏John👏Galt’s👏identity.👏I👏am👏the👏man👏who👏has👏asked👏that👏question.👏

👏“Yes,👏this👏is👏an👏age👏of👏moral👏crisis.👏Yes,👏you👏are👏bearing👏punishment👏for👏your👏evil.👏But👏it👏is👏not👏man👏who👏is👏now👏on👏trial👏and👏it👏is👏not👏human👏nature👏that👏will👏take👏the👏blame.👏It👏is👏your👏moral👏code👏that’s👏through,👏this👏time.👏Your👏moral👏code👏has👏reached👏its👏climax,👏the👏blind👏alley👏at👏the👏end👏of👏its👏course.👏And👏if👏you👏wish👏to👏go👏on👏living,👏what👏you👏now👏need👏is👏not👏to👏return👏to👏morality—you👏who👏have👏never👏known👏any—but👏to👏discover👏it.👏

👏“You👏have👏heard👏no👏concepts👏of👏morality👏but👏the👏mystical👏or👏the👏social.👏You👏have👏been👏taught👏that👏morality👏is👏a👏code👏of👏behavior👏imposed👏on👏you👏by👏whim,👏the👏whim👏of👏a👏supernatural👏power👏or👏the👏whim👏of👏society,👏to👏serve👏God’s👏purpose👏or👏your👏neighbor’s👏welfare,👏to👏please👏an👏authority👏beyond👏the👏grave👏or👏else👏next👏door—but👏not👏to👏serve👏your👏life👏or👏pleasure.👏Your👏pleasure,👏you👏have👏been👏taught,👏is👏to👏be👏found👏in👏immorality,👏your👏interests👏would👏best👏be👏served👏by👏evil,👏and👏any👏moral👏code👏must👏be👏designed👏not👏for👏you,👏but👏against👏you,👏not👏to👏further👏your👏life,👏but👏to👏drain👏it.👏

👏“For👏centuries,👏the👏battle👏of👏morality👏was👏fought👏between👏those👏who👏claimed👏that👏your👏life👏belongs👏to👏God👏and👏those👏who👏claimed👏that👏it👏belongs👏to👏your👏neighbors—between👏those👏who👏preached👏that👏the👏good👏is👏self-sacrifice👏for👏the👏sake👏of👏ghosts👏in👏heaven👏and👏those👏who👏preached👏that👏the👏good👏is👏self-sacrifice👏for👏the👏sake👏of👏incompetents👏on👏earth.👏And👏no👏one👏came👏to👏say👏that👏your👏life👏belongs👏to👏you👏and👏that👏the👏good👏is👏to👏live👏it.👏

👏“Both👏sides👏agreed👏that👏morality👏demands👏the👏surrender👏of👏your👏self-interest👏and👏of👏your👏mind,👏that👏the👏moral👏and👏the👏practical👏are👏opposites,👏that👏morality👏is👏not👏the👏province👏of👏reason,👏but👏the👏province👏of👏faith👏and👏force.👏Both👏sides👏agreed👏that👏no👏rational👏morality👏is👏possible,👏that👏there👏is👏no👏right👏or👏wrong👏in👏reason—that👏in👏reason👏there’s👏no👏reason👏to👏be👏moral.👏

👏“Whatever👏else👏they👏fought👏about,👏it👏was👏against👏man’s👏mind👏that👏all👏your👏moralists👏have👏stood👏united.👏It👏was👏man’s👏mind👏that👏all👏their👏schemes👏and👏systems👏were👏intended👏to👏despoil👏and👏destroy.👏Now👏choose👏to👏perish👏or👏to👏learn👏that👏the👏anti-mind👏is👏the👏anti-life.👏

👏“Man’s👏mind👏is👏his👏basic👏tool👏of👏survival.👏Life👏is👏given👏to👏him,👏survival👏is👏not.👏His👏body👏is👏given👏to👏him,👏its👏sustenance👏is👏not.👏His👏mind👏is👏given👏to👏him,👏its👏content👏is👏not.👏To👏remain👏alive,👏he👏must👏act,👏and👏before👏he👏can👏act👏he👏must👏know👏the👏nature👏and👏purpose👏of👏his👏action.👏He👏cannot👏obtain👏his👏food👏without👏a👏knowledge👏of👏food👏and👏of👏the👏way👏to👏obtain👏it.👏He👏cannot👏dig👏a👏ditch-or👏build👏a👏cyclotron—without👏a👏knowledge👏of👏his👏aim👏and👏of👏the👏means👏to👏achieve👏it.👏To👏remain👏alive,👏he👏must👏think.👏

👏“But👏to👏think👏is👏an👏act👏of👏choice.👏The👏key👏to👏what👏you👏so👏recklessly👏call👏‘human👏nature,’👏the👏open👏secret👏you👏live👏with,👏yet👏dread👏to👏name,👏is👏the👏fact👏that👏man👏is👏a👏being👏of👏volitional👏consciousness.👏Reason👏does👏not👏work👏automatically;👏thinking👏is👏not👏a👏mechanical👏process;👏the👏connections👏of👏logic👏are👏not👏made👏by👏instinct.👏The👏function👏of👏your👏stomach,👏lungs👏or👏heart👏is👏automatic;👏the👏function👏of👏your👏mind👏is👏not.👏In👏any👏hour👏and👏issue👏of👏your👏life,👏you👏are👏free👏to👏think👏or👏to👏evade👏that👏effort.👏But👏you👏are👏not👏free👏to👏escape👏from👏your👏nature,👏from👏the👏fact👏that👏reason👏is👏your👏means👏of👏survival—so👏that👏for👏you,👏who👏are👏a👏human👏being,👏the👏question👏‘to👏be👏or👏not👏to👏be’👏is👏the👏question👏‘to’👏think👏or👏not👏to👏think.’👏

👏“A👏being👏of👏volitional👏consciousness👏has👏no👏automatic👏course👏of👏behavior.👏He👏needs👏a👏code👏of👏values👏to👏guide👏his👏actions.👏‘Value’👏is👏that👏which👏one👏acts👏to👏gain👏and👏keep,👏‘virtue’👏is👏the👏action👏by👏which👏one👏gains👏and👏keeps👏it.👏‘Value’👏presupposes👏an👏answer👏to👏the👏question:👏of👏value👏to👏whom👏and👏for👏what?👏‘Value’👏presupposes👏a👏standard,👏a👏purpose👏and👏the👏necessity👏of👏action👏in👏the👏face👏of👏an👏alternative.👏Where👏there👏are👏no👏alternatives,👏no👏values👏are👏possible.👏

👏“There👏is👏only👏one👏fundamental👏alternative👏in👏the👏universe:👏existence👏or👏non-existence—and👏it👏pertains👏to👏a👏single👏class👏of👏entities:👏to👏living👏organisms.👏The👏existence👏of👏inanimate👏matter👏is👏unconditional,👏the👏existence👏of👏life👏is👏not;👏it👏depends👏on👏a👏specific👏course👏of👏action.👏Matter👏is👏indestructible,👏it👏changes👏its👏forms,👏but👏it👏cannot👏cease👏to👏exist.👏It👏is👏only👏a👏living👏organism👏that👏faces👏a👏constant👏alternative:👏the👏issue👏of👏life👏or👏death.👏Life👏is👏a👏process👏of👏self-sustaining👏and-self-generated👏action.👏If👏an👏organism👏fails👏in👏that👏action,👏it👏does;👏its👏chemical👏elements👏remain,👏but👏its👏life👏goes👏out👏of👏existence.👏It👏is👏only👏the👏concept👏of👏‘Life’👏that👏makes👏the👏concept👏of👏‘Value’👏possible.👏It👏is👏only👏to👏a👏living👏entity👏that👏things👏can👏be👏good👏or👏evil.👏

👏“A👏plant👏must👏feed👏itself👏in👏order👏to👏live;👏the👏sunlight,👏the👏water,👏the👏chemicals👏it👏needs👏are👏the👏values👏its👏nature👏has👏set👏it👏to👏pursue;👏its👏life👏is👏the👏standard👏of👏value👏directing👏its👏actions.👏But👏a👏plant👏has👏no👏choice👏of👏action;👏there👏are👏alternatives👏in👏the👏conditions👏it👏encounters,👏but👏there👏is👏no👏alternative👏in👏its👏function:👏it👏acts👏automatically👏to👏further👏its👏life,👏it👏cannot👏act👏for👏its👏own👏destruction.👏

👏“An👏animal👏is👏equipped👏for👏sustaining👏its👏life;👏its👏senses👏provide👏it👏with👏an👏automatic👏code👏of👏action,👏an👏automatic👏knowledge👏of👏what👏is👏good👏for👏it👏or👏evil.👏It👏has👏no👏power👏to👏extend👏its👏knowledge👏or👏to👏evade👏it.👏In👏conditions👏where👏its👏knowledge👏proves👏inadequate,👏it👏dies.👏But👏so👏long👏as👏it👏lives,👏it👏acts👏on👏its👏knowledge,👏with👏automatic👏safety👏and👏no👏power👏of👏choice,👏it👏is👏unable👏to👏ignore👏its👏own👏good,👏unable👏to👏decide👏to👏choose👏the👏evil👏and👏act👏as👏its👏own👏destroyer.👏

👏“Man👏has👏no👏automatic👏code👏of👏survival.👏His👏particular👏distinction👏from👏all👏other👏living👏species👏is👏the👏necessity👏to👏act👏in👏the👏face👏of👏alternatives👏by👏means👏of👏volitional👏choice.👏He👏has👏no👏automatic👏knowledge👏of👏what👏is👏good👏for👏him👏or👏evil,👏what👏values👏his👏life👏depends👏on,👏what👏course👏of👏action👏it👏requires.👏Are👏you👏prattling👏about👏an👏instinct👏of👏self-preservation?👏An👏instinct👏of👏self-preservation👏is👏precisely👏what👏man👏does👏not👏possess.👏An👏‘instinct’👏is👏an👏unerring👏and👏automatic👏form👏of👏knowledge.👏A👏desire👏is👏not👏an👏instinct.👏A👏desire👏to👏live👏does👏not👏give👏you👏the👏knowledge👏required👏for👏living.👏And👏even👏man’s👏desire👏to👏live👏is👏not👏automatic:👏your👏secret👏evil👏today👏is👏that👏that👏is👏the👏desire👏you👏do👏not👏hold.👏Your👏fear👏of👏death👏is👏not👏a👏love👏of👏life👏and👏will👏not👏give👏you👏the👏knowledge👏needed👏to👏keep👏it.👏Man👏must👏obtain👏his👏knowledge👏and👏choose👏his👏actions👏by👏a👏process👏of👏thinking,👏which👏nature👏will👏not👏force👏him👏t9👏perform.👏Man👏has👏the👏power👏to👏act👏as👏his👏own👏destroyer—and👏that👏is👏the👏way👏he👏has👏acted👏through👏most👏of👏his👏history.👏

👏“A👏living👏entity👏that👏regarded👏its👏means👏of👏survival👏as👏evil,👏would👏not👏survive.👏A👏plant👏that👏struggled👏to👏mangle👏its👏roots,👏a👏bird👏that👏fought👏to👏break👏its👏wings👏would👏not👏remain👏for👏long👏in👏the👏existence👏they👏affronted.👏But👏the👏history👏of👏man👏has👏been👏a👏struggle👏to👏deny👏and👏to👏destroy👏his👏mind.👏

👏“Man👏has👏been👏called👏a👏rational👏being,👏but👏rationality👏is👏a👏matter👏of👏choice—and👏the👏alternative👏his👏nature👏offers👏him👏is:👏rational👏being👏or👏suicidal👏animal.👏Man👏has👏to👏be👏man—by👏choice;👏he👏has👏to👏hold👏his👏life👏as👏a👏value—by👏choice:👏he👏has👏to👏learn👏to👏sustain👏it—by👏choice;👏he👏has👏to👏discover👏the👏values👏it👏requires👏and👏practice👏his👏virtues—by👏choice.👏

👏“Whoever👏you👏are,👏you👏who👏are👏hearing👏me👏now,👏I👏am👏speaking👏to👏whatever👏living👏remnant👏is👏left👏uncorrupted👏within👏you,👏to👏the👏remnant👏of👏the👏human,👏to👏your👏mind,👏and👏I👏say:👏There👏is👏a👏morality👏of👏reason,👏a👏morality👏proper👏to👏man,👏and👏Man’s👏Life👏is👏its👏standard👏of👏value.👏

👏“All👏that👏which👏is👏proper👏to👏the👏life👏of👏a👏rational👏being👏is👏the👏good;👏all👏that👏which👏destroys👏it👏is👏the👏evil.👏

👏“Man’s👏life,👏as👏required👏by👏his👏nature,👏is👏not👏the👏life👏of👏a👏mindless👏brute,👏of👏a👏looting👏thug👏or👏a👏mooching👏mystic,👏but👏the👏life👏of👏a👏thinking👏being—not👏life👏by👏means👏of👏force👏or👏fraud,👏but👏life👏by👏means👏of👏achievement—not👏survival👏at👏any👏price,👏since👏there’s👏only👏one👏price👏that👏pays👏for👏man’s👏survival:👏reason.👏

👏“Man’s👏life👏is👏the👏standard👏of👏morality,👏but👏your👏own👏life👏is👏its👏purpose.👏If👏existence👏on👏earth👏is👏your👏goal,👏you👏must👏choose👏your👏actions👏and👏values👏by👏the👏standard👏of👏that👏which👏is👏proper👏to👏man—for👏the👏purpose👏of👏preserving,👏fulfilling👏and👏enjoying👏the👏irreplaceable👏value👏which👏is👏your👏life.👏

👏“Since👏life👏requires👏a👏specific👏course👏of👏action,👏any👏other👏course👏will👏destroy👏it.👏A👏being👏who👏does👏not👏hold👏his👏own👏life👏as👏the👏motive👏and👏goal👏of👏his👏actions,👏is👏acting👏on👏the👏motive👏and👏standard👏of👏death.👏Such👏a👏being👏is👏a👏metaphysical👏monstrosity,👏struggling👏to👏oppose,👏negate👏and👏contradict👏the👏fact👏of👏his👏own👏existence,👏running👏blindly👏amuck👏on👏a👏trail👏of👏destruction,👏capable👏of👏nothing👏but👏pain.👏

you missed one :geno:

also http://galtse.cx/

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Socks4Hands posted:

the claps spell a secret message

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I could never see the sailboat I'll never see the secret message. Someone tell me what it is

E: removed ot (primarychat) comment

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm honestly disappointed the first response wasn't someone quoting the whole thing and just posting "same."

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Mo_Steel posted:

you missed one :geno:

also http://galtse.cx/
I occasionally see this sign on my way home if I take side streets.

I'd never managed to get through more than a few pages of Atlas Shrugged, but my mother went through a several-year Rand fandom, so I felt I should make it through the book to be able to say with confidence that it's trash.

I picked up the audiobook and listened to it on my way to and from work.

This monologue lasted over 3 and a half hours. Those were the most excruciating commutes of my life.

gently caress Ayn Rand.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Three and a half hours? Surly it isn't really that long.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I haven't been able to keep up with stuff, is this Ted Cruz porn thing something that's going to stick culturally? Like the Edwards Scream, misspelling potato, or Al Gore inventing the internet? I know it can't sink him, but I can dream.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Violator posted:

Like the Edwards Scream

Clearly, this one landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Ogmius815 posted:

Three and a half hours? Surly it isn't really that long.

Not quite that long, but over 3 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDOfOu2_hkI

• Locked thread