Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

JollyPubJerk posted:

poor poor seattle hockey

Hey, they could still be arena leverage for the Flames for the next little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/EricFrancis/status/907737049452572672

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And Holland still hasn't signed AA.

And Jagr still isn't in the NHL. Sadness.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thufir posted:

Hey, they could still be arena leverage for the Flames for the next little bit.

Perfect timing

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Vegas' white gloves are beautiful gently caress the haters

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Good.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
Welcome to the NHL the quebec flames

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Atlanta Flames deserve a shot imo

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thufir posted:

Atlanta Flames deserve a shot imo

no they dont

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They got Nenshi'd

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Scaramouche posted:

They got Nenshi'd

He coyly tweeted at them?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I had a guy argue with me that Toronto is going to get a second team. "It would be just like the Mets and Yankees," he said.

So, there's always that option.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Krime posted:

I had a guy argue with me that Toronto is going to get a second team. "It would be just like the Mets and Yankees," he said.

Lol, yeah, as long as MLSE plays nice. Along with, IIRC, like all the other teams withing a few hundred km.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Benson Cunningham posted:

Guys. There is pre season hockey next week.

That's almost like real hockey.

Preseason hockey is great because we can all bitch about vets who look "out of shape" or playing poorly and prop up prospects who are "ready to break out"

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Mayoral election October 17. The rich, conservative oil barons who own the Flames don't like Calgary's young, progressive Mayor, and want to influence Flames fans to vote for a more business-friendly candidate (read: one who'll let them build their multi-billion-dollar sports complex without spending a dime of their own money).

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Krime posted:

Hamilton, baby. Our major junior team plays in a 17000 capacity arena.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, yeah, as long as MLSE plays nice. Along with, IIRC, like all the other teams withing a few hundred km.

I tried explaining this point, that MLSE fights any other team coming close to their turf and again, he said, "They don't care about that. It doesn't bother them."

I just gave up at that point.
:negative:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Hamilton, baby. Our major junior team plays in a 17000 capacity arena.

All those Pittsburgh Penguin cups should be Hamilton Smog cups.

E: also, see above.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/ByScottPowers/status/907781750524448768

:argh:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'm glad the Oilers didn't draft Alex DeBrincat and instead went for Tyler Benson. What's that? Benson's made of glass? Oh dear.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

gently caress Bergevin.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Isn't Debrincat like four feet tall? Well I guess it works for Gaudreau

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

He's like 5'7" which was the only reason why he fell all the way to the 2nd round.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Isn't Debrincat like four feet tall? Well I guess it works for Gaudreau

He's small, yeah, but I don't think you can go wrong with somebody who put up 197 goals and 405 points in 246 OHL games (regular season + playoffs).

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

guy who says everyone loves marc bergevin also says marc bergevin's locker room reason for getting rid of PK was valid... hmmmmm

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
while it sounds impossible that someone would dislike pk, you have to consider that hockey players are all loving morons

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah if you as a player are firmly bought into that "keep your head down, play your game, do your job" hockey robot mentality then it's not a stretch to see how PK would bother that

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

yellowcar posted:

He's like 5'7" which was the only reason why he fell all the way to the 2nd round.

I mean, he was also like the 4th or 5th best forward in an insanely stacked top 6, so people were also skeptical of how much of his production was him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

I mean, he was also like the 4th or 5th best forward in an insanely stacked top 6, so people were also skeptical of how much of his production was him.

When he was with McDavid? He was at worst 3rd behind him and Strome. In his draft year Strome put up more points, but I'd say that DeBrincat was team MVP. He fell entirely due to size, going off production he was one of the top 2 or 3 CHLers in the 2016 draft. With that said, he's very generously listed at 5'7 and if you didn't watch him play you'd have some serious concerns. With that said, he plays a lot like Gallagher or Fleury in that he makes a point of bee-lining for the net and leaping into battles in the corner probably because of a chip on his shoulder after being told he was too small for so long.

I have my doubts that he'll be a big time scorer in the NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he put up a Zuccarello type career and capped out in the 50-60 points a season mid-tier first liner range.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

babby flyera roster for tonight's game with babby isles

quote:

FORWARDS:
46 Mikhail Vorobyev
54 Oskar Lindblom
63 German Rubtsov
64 Nolan Patrick
68 Morgan Frost
75 Pascal Laberge
76 Isaac Ratcliffe
78 Matthew Strome
81 Carsen Twarynski
82 Connor Bunnaman
85 Anthony Salinitri
89 Ivan Kosorenkov
90 Maksim Sushko

DEFENSE:
50 Sam Morin
57 Travis Sanheim
59 Mark Friedman
61 Philippe Myers
77 Frank Hora
85 James De Haas

GOALTENDERS:

49 Alex Lyon
79 Carter Hart

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Patrick will get a hattrick and the Philadelphia Flyers will win the Stanley Cup you heard it here first folks

(make sure to bookmark this post so when we actually win four years from now you will all know how right I was)

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Bunnaman's nickname should be Echo.

No NAK or Vechionne though?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

When he was with McDavid? He was at worst 3rd behind him and Strome. In his draft year Strome put up more points, but I'd say that DeBrincat was team MVP. He fell entirely due to size, going off production he was one of the top 2 or 3 CHLers in the 2016 draft. With that said, he's very generously listed at 5'7 and if you didn't watch him play you'd have some serious concerns. With that said, he plays a lot like Gallagher or Fleury in that he makes a point of bee-lining for the net and leaping into battles in the corner probably because of a chip on his shoulder after being told he was too small for so long.

I have my doubts that he'll be a big time scorer in the NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he put up a Zuccarello type career and capped out in the 50-60 points a season mid-tier first liner range.

I got the impression from Blackhawks fans / writers that he wasn't really a standout at their development camp back a few months ago. That's not a great sign. Rookie games are even more meaningless than dev camps. I'm very curious to see what he does in training camp or preseason games. Wouldn't be shocked if he tears up the AHL this season but doesn't get any NHL time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens still don't have a 3c. Crosby and Malkin are gonna be getting a poo poo load of ice time until that changes.

Letang is on track though which is nice.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I got the impression from Blackhawks fans / writers that he wasn't really a standout at their development camp back a few months ago. That's not a great sign. Rookie games are even more meaningless than dev camps. I'm very curious to see what he does in training camp or preseason games. Wouldn't be shocked if he tears up the AHL this season but doesn't get any NHL time.

Ditto, I personally hold him in pretty high regard but then again he's charting the same path that Corey Locke did a decade ago and he was never able to rise above the level of AHL superstar. I like the way DeBrincat plays and think he's at worst going to be a somewhat regular NHLer, but yes he's not at an NHL level yet. He needs at least 20-30 games in the AHL to prove himself and adapt to the pros first and it could very well be a rough transition.

I see a guy that's incredibly talented that was drafted by a team that has haemorrhaged scoring wingers lately. He'll likely get his turn in the NHL at some point this year. I doubt he'll set the world on fire anytime soon, but every time I've watched him play I've never come across thinking there was some fatal flaw to his game. He's going to have a much tougher time doing his bullish approach against the Shea Webers of the world, but I don't expect he'll be forced to completely rebuild his game when the competition ramps up.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good soup! posted:

Patrick will get a hattrick and the Philadelphia Flyers will win the Stanley Cup you heard it here first folks

my bold NHL prediction this year is that the Flyers are a bottom 5 team because Elliott is going to suck again

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Pens still don't have a 3c. Crosby and Malkin are gonna be getting a poo poo load of ice time until that changes.

Letang is on track though which is nice.

Remember when the penguins had like 10 centers

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Ditto, I personally hold him in pretty high regard but then again he's charting the same path that Corey Locke did a decade ago and he was never able to rise above the level of AHL superstar. I like the way DeBrincat plays and think he's at worst going to be a somewhat regular NHLer, but yes he's not at an NHL level yet. He needs at least 20-30 games in the AHL to prove himself and adapt to the pros first and it could very well be a rough transition.

I see a guy that's incredibly talented that was drafted by a team that has haemorrhaged scoring wingers lately. He'll likely get his turn in the NHL at some point this year. I doubt he'll set the world on fire anytime soon, but every time I've watched him play I've never come across thinking there was some fatal flaw to his game. He's going to have a much tougher time doing his bullish approach against the Shea Webers of the world, but I don't expect he'll be forced to completely rebuild his game when the competition ramps up.

I think it'll be a rough transition to the NHL in particular. The question isn't really his skill set or even his size. There are enough little bulldogs now that I don't think his size will be the biggest thing holding him back. It'll be whether or not he can play a structured game where he isn't clearly better than the opposition. The more unstructured nature of his game will suit itself well to the AHL though. It'll come down to how coachable he is.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Remember when the penguins had like 10 centers

Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

my bold NHL prediction this year is that the Flyers are a bottom 5 team because Elliott is going to suck again

:wrong: Elliott will deliver us to the Tastykake promised land and everyone will be happy

everyone

:smith:

• Locked thread