Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Don Dongington posted:

Why are you all blaming Facebook for Fox News' ills.

There's room for both - especially when Facebook let's you straight up "buy" news (and ads).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Facebook/Twitter have made millions of people suddenly think their opinions on just about everything is suddenly valid and needs to be heard by everyone else.

EFB, but this.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Give the idiot a megaphone and he becomes everyone's problem.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don Dongington posted:

Why are you all blaming Facebook for Fox News' ills.

Because Fox News doesn't provide a safe space for nazis and racists to link up and let themselves be known without getting the poo poo beat out of them. FNC were a prototype though, getting those types hooked on a stream of endless validation.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also because Facebook can detect nipples faster than a camera detects light, but they just can't seem to stop foreign psy ops or racist/sexist violent threats.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Give the idiot a megaphone and he becomes everyone's problem.

Make him the president and he is the worlds problem. :smug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

mlmp08 posted:

Also because Facebook can detect nipples faster than a camera detects light, but they just can't seem to stop foreign psy ops or racist/sexist violent threats.

Wait.. can it tell the difference in my A cups vs a woman's?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait.. can it tell the difference in my A cups vs a woman's?

Unironically probably yes

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Who among us hasn't donated to Child Abuse?

https://twitter.com/TomDreisbach/status/907742739072028672

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS4QGEQaclk

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

FAUXTON posted:

No poo poo Facebook wasn't the problem in 1861, it didn't even exist.

Slavers still huffed their own farts until they thought they could take the North without trains, factories, or secure trade routes. It took them most of a century to get that high. Social media is barely 15 years old and they're already on that "we surround them" poo poo again.

The South fought to take over the burgeoning antebellum US Postal Service because too many people were mailing sick burns about how uncool slavery was to sensitive Southerners. Whether or not antislavery literature could be blocked from the mail system was a major deal and part of the controversy surrounding the Turner Rebellion (obv fake news from the Abolitionist press stirred up the slaves to revolt!). For really the first time it was relatively easy for folks to mass mail letters and literature across state lines and the South was super pissed about the liberal media coming out of places like Boston and Philly infecting upstanding Southerners with terrible ideas like guaranteed state education, federally funded public works projects, and lukewarm sunsetting of slavery.

History's Favorite Monster Andrew Jackson ordered his Postmaster General to block 'inflammatory papers' in the mail (questions of legality nonwithstanding), and wannabe secessionist John Calhoun went one step further and tried to make it legal for local govts to impose their own censorship on their post offices. While it didn't pass Congress, the South ended up enacting de facto censorship anyway because slavery is too important an institution to let something minor like the 1st and 4th Amendment get in the way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm legit chucking at the prospect of some dauphinesque southern gentry type opening his gilded rococo mailbox to find a letter from boston calling him a starch wigged sumbitch

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I'm legit chucking at the prospect of some dauphinesque southern gentry type opening his gilded rococo mailbox to find a letter from boston calling him a starch wigged sumbitch

Not to be low content or anything but yeah :same:

Also, not even rococo but imitation rococo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

orange juche posted:

Not to be low content or anything but yeah :same:

Also, not even rococo but imitation rococo.

Fauxcoco/Rofauxco/Rocofaux

ok sorry

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Fauxcoco/Rofauxco/Rocofaux

ok sorry

Wasnt a dig at you bro, was more a dig at stuck up southern elites in their massive plantation mansions that was iconic to the southern US.

Like those houses are 19th century mcmansions.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The South fought to take over the burgeoning antebellum US Postal Service because too many people were mailing sick burns about how uncool slavery was to sensitive Southerners. Whether or not antislavery literature could be blocked from the mail system was a major deal and part of the controversy surrounding the Turner Rebellion (obv fake news from the Abolitionist press stirred up the slaves to revolt!). For really the first time it was relatively easy for folks to mass mail letters and literature across state lines and the South was super pissed about the liberal media coming out of places like Boston and Philly infecting upstanding Southerners with terrible ideas like guaranteed state education, federally funded public works projects, and lukewarm sunsetting of slavery.

History's Favorite Monster Andrew Jackson ordered his Postmaster General to block 'inflammatory papers' in the mail (questions of legality nonwithstanding), and wannabe secessionist John Calhoun went one step further and tried to make it legal for local govts to impose their own censorship on their post offices. While it didn't pass Congress, the South ended up enacting de facto censorship anyway because slavery is too important an institution to let something minor like the 1st and 4th Amendment get in the way.

This is good info and I am glad I learned this. Jesus the South was a figurative wuss about this.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

No no Fake News is actually Fake News

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

orange juche posted:

Wasnt a dig at you bro, was more a dig at stuck up southern elites in their massive plantation mansions that was iconic to the southern US.

Like those houses are 19th century mcmansions.

Oh, no I was just making the pun/portmanteau and immediately apologizing as pun does lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Grognan posted:

This is good info and I am glad I learned this. Jesus the South was a figurative wuss about this.

Dude there's poo poo loads of people in the rural south who think klanners aren't that bad, and that them negroes should recognize their betters etc. They'll never say it aloud because of their massive bitchmade streak from getting their collective heads shoved in a lovely portatoilet in the 1860s, but the massive racist undercurrent is still there, moreso in blue collar poor white towns than elsewhere. It's easy to demonize black people and Hispanics when there's like 6 of them in your entire county of <10000

E: spelling

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 13, 2017

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

666 posted:

. Nobody had any idea what was really going on but we all knew we weren't going to go home anytime soon.

This is like the "war. war never changes." of the GWOT era. I hope they do The Wire sliced across the Rumsfeld / KBR / CIA / United Nations contexts

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Dingleberry posted:

No no Fake News is actually Fake News

The current joke going around is that he's going to get a golden parachute thanks to the sweetheart deal he just gave Oak View Group to remodel Key Arena in the form of a position in like Youth Sports Outreach or some poo poo.

And by "joke" I mean it's probably going to actually happen because Worst Timeline and all.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Grognan posted:

Yeah, just goes to show this poo poo's been going on for nearly two centuries and one of the reasons why it was so easy for the plantation class to get everyone on board the secession train. From at least 1814 to 1859 was just one long campaign of the Southern establishment digging themselves in against change and grabbing as many political levers at the local, state, and national level to do so. Lots of parallels with the GOP's strategy nowadays.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

FAUXTON posted:

Nice image, but home delivery didn't start until the Civil War. Want to know why? (You don't.) Standing in line while watching a woman open up a letter that all of a sudden tells her that she's a widow was making everyone really uncomfortable.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Grognan posted:

Same but "is" instead of "was."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ceiling fan posted:

Nice image, but home delivery didn't start until the Civil War. Want to know why? (You don't.) Standing in line while watching a woman open up a letter that all of a sudden tells her that she's a widow was making everyone really uncomfortable.

Oh hey rich widows need comforting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh hey rich widows need comforting.

The rich didn't usually go to war back then, either.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Godholio posted:

I thought most officers were aristocrats back then (and now I guess also, just not as much)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Officers did and they led from the front.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And yet they still represented a tiny minority of people in the service, and a tiny minority of the rich. You had your Pat Tillmans back then, sure. But they were often low-end rich, as success as a military officer was seen as a path of upward social mobility which represented upward financial mobility. That was one of Washington's motivations, for example. Even though he never got his real British commission, it worked out pretty well for him.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Teddy Roosevelt was obsessed with military honour iirc

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

The rich didn't have to worry about being drafted back then. The ones who wanted the glory or whatever got to be officers.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/907790383077261313

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No price controls?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sorry no. I'll pay for nuclear weapons to destroy the earth a few time over, I'll pay for bombs to kill the poo poo out of brown people in the desert BUT ILL BE DAMNED IF I PAY ONE CENT TO HELP FREELOADING AMERICANS!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I'll wait for the CBO scoring first.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Iron Rose posted:

I'll wait for the CBO scoring first.

Like the CBO has played any role in this legislative Branch's decision making process.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am going to laugh SO HARD if Trump goes for this solely for the positive headlines.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

cowboy elvis posted:

I am going to laugh SO HARD if Trump goes for this solely for the positive headlines.

the pivot..... has begun

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I hope Trump goes for this for the gnashing of teeth and the mental gymnastics of the right.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Was the Cory Chase video he retweeted a stepmom/stepdaughter video? I haven't looked yet.

• Locked thread