Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought we were talking about the show's relationship with people who compare it to the old one, not the old show itself. I don't get the sense TTG HAS an opinion it wants to state about its source material other regarding it as a as a mine for absurdity and half-hearted regurgitation of some of their plots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I mean the original show is kind of an elephant in the room where the new one is concerned, and considering the nature of Teen Titans Go it would be kind of disingenuous if they never talked about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I thought we were talking about the show's relationship with people who compare it to the old one, not the old show itself. I don't get the sense TTG HAS an opinion it wants to state about its source material other regarding it as a as a mine for absurdity and half-hearted regurgitation of some of their plots.

It doesn't, it just shits on the old fan base because it's funny and ultimately it's a comedy.

There is no deep message here and there shouldn't be.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

It doesn't, it just shits on the old fan base because it's funny and ultimately it's a comedy.

Totally agreed. It's not a personal attack on anyone, it's a goofy cartoon show for kids and it loves being that.

Also, yeah it's super funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wonder if people felt this personally attacked by Bat-mite in Batman: Brave and the Bold.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if people felt this personally attacked by Bat-mite in Batman: Brave and the Bold.

They absolutely did. I remember that much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

People felt personally attacked by BatB in general, though most people seemed to come around on it. (If just because it started killing people off in surprisingly large numbers.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teen Titans is still my favorite DC show, and I will never understood why Teen Titans Go sends people into such a frothing rage.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Didn't it also piss off Young Justice fans, or are they the same group as Teen Titans fans? Were there people who thought TTG was some sort of conspiracy that cancelled YJ's third season or something?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The only rumor/theory/fact floated around for YJ that I ever saw as a fan was that YJ was cancelled because it was not popular enough among young boys despite being fairly popular with girls and that this translated into poor toy sales.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not a huge ttg fan but if it gets kids watching cartoon Network where they might also watch other cartoons and get something out of them and not creepy horrible YouTube poo poo unattended then I'm all for it continuing forever.

People who liked the old show can watch the DVDs. Oh no a cartoon made fun of you for taking a decade old children's show seriously, no one is suffering more than that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The only rumor/theory/fact floated around for YJ that I ever saw as a fan was that YJ was cancelled because it was not popular enough among young boys despite being fairly popular with girls and that this translated into poor toy sales.

That came from Paul Dini during Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast:

quote:

DINI: "They're all for boys 'we do not want the girls', I mean, I've heard executives say this, you know, not [where I am] but at other places, saying like, 'We do not want girls watching this show."

SMITH: "WHY? That's 51% of the population."

DINI: "They. Do. Not. Buy. Toys. The girls buy different toys. The girls may watch the show—"

SMITH: "So you can sell them T-shirts if they don't—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, I mean not as many as f***ing boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don't be lazy and be like, 'well I can't sell a girl a toy.' Sell 'em a T-shirt, man, sell them f***ing umbrella with the f***ing character on it, something like that. But if it's not a toy, there's something else you could sell 'em! Like, just because you can't figure out your job, don't kill chances of, like, something that's gonna reach an audi—that's just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same fuckers who go, like, 'Oh, girls don't read comics, girls aren't into comics.' It's all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, 'I can't sell 'em a toy, what's the point?'

DINI: "That's the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I'll just lay it on the line: that's the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, like, 'we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys'—this is the network talking—'one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as the boys, but right there.' And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls' back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman and [indistinct]'s really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, 'F***, no, we want the boys' action, it's boys' action, this goofy boy humor we've gotta get that in there. And we can't—' and I'd say, but look at the numbers, we've got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—'Yeah, but the—so many—we've got too many girls. We need more boys.'"

SMITH: "That's heart-breaking."

DINI: "And then that's why they cancelled us, and they put on a show called Level Up, which is, you know, goofy nerds fighting CG monsters. It's like, 'We don't want the girls because the girls won't buy toys.' We had a whole… we had a whole, a merchandise line for Tower Prep that they s***canned before it ever got off the launching pad, because it's like, 'Boys, boys, boys. Boys buy the little spinny tops, they but the action figures, girls buy princesses, we're not selling princesses.'"

https://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

It's episode 52 but I can't find it where it used to be linked.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The YJ toyline was also mishandled as gently caress and it made the main characters hard to actually pick up in a form that was at all desirable, so CN, DC, and Mattel really shot themselves in the foot beyond anything the show could actually account for or be responsible for.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Roth posted:

Teen Titans is still my favorite DC show, and I will never understood why Teen Titans Go sends people into such a frothing rage.

I think part of it is how Teen Titans ended, with the last episode being a cliffhanger. Like yeah, dumbdumbs were mad about Brave and the Bold, but since the DCAU lasted so long the "not MY Batman!" sentiment was pretty much the sole reason, whereas the reaction to TTG is that combined with resentment that the first show didn't go on for 20 seasons and had an unsatisfying ending to boot.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 12, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC has made a major push into merchandise for girls since then so maybe they'll be a bit smarter.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

That came from Paul Dini during Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/paul-dini-superhero-cartoon-execs-dont-want-largely-f-1483758317

It's episode 52 but I can't find it where it used to be linked.

Ah, thanks! This clears up a lot of things. CN's really horrible at managing its shows. And while I don't get to watch TTG much, it's honestly kind of fascinating how much ire it gets.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Don't the subsidiaries of WB compete with each other too, like Sears locations? I read that somewhere. Cartoon Network might resent DC or something.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, I can say I was one of the people who didn't pick up YJ for like, the entire first season, because I got hyped up because they were making a cartoon adaptation of my favorite superhero comic as a kid, and then I find out no, they're just calling it that and it's actually an adaptation of a lot of the versions of Teen Titans comics I disliked the most (I.E. Geoff Johns' work) and then I gave it a shot. And then I almost dropped it again for the episode with Harm and Secret because they just flubbed that so badly and it felt like insulting the people who liked the comics the show is ostensibly named after? But then I guess that just makes me 'that guy' in this case. I certainly came around on it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... You know that episode was written by Peter David, right?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Thst explains the deleted scene with the Roma

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just saying, for all the man's faults, I doubt he'd write an episode with the intention of slagging off on his the comic and characters he created.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Ah, thanks! This clears up a lot of things. CN's really horrible at managing its shows. And while I don't get to watch TTG much, it's honestly kind of fascinating how much ire it gets.

I feel for Dini but frankly that whole era of CN trying to do live-action shows was pretty loving dire and I'm glad it's in the rear view of the world.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

... You know that episode was written by Peter David, right?

I still kinda hated it because of Secret being a pokemon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's fair enough, I just don't think the notion that they were trying to insult fans of the comic is really warranted.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TwoPair posted:

I feel for Dini but frankly that whole era of CN trying to do live-action shows was pretty loving dire and I'm glad it's in the rear view of the world.

I think the current era of basically only showing Teen Titans Go is also extremely dire. They have plenty of other shows they could fill up their schedule with.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

CharlestheHammer posted:

What an exciting and enchanting world you live in.

I think TTGo is sparkly bullshit, the equivalent of jangling keys in front of a baby while occasionally calling the baby's older brother an idiot for not laughing at this AWESOME KEYYYY JANGLINGGGGG whipcrack whipcrack whoosh sound effect.

Anybody else remember Johnny Test? TTG is in the same category in my mind. Sound effects and sparkles to keep the seven year olds sitting at attention.

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 16, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nah, its a funny cartoon with good characters and great gags.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jukebox Hero posted:

Anybody else remember Johnny Test?

I had not seen such hatred for a cartoon character since Scrappy Doo. To hear some of the comments online, you'd have thought Test was Satan incarnate sent to this world to devour all hope and sunshine.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Jukebox Hero posted:

I think TTGo is sparkly bullshit, the equivalent of jangling keys in front of a baby while occasionally calling the baby's older brother an idiot for not laughing at this AWESOME KEYYYY JANGLINGGGGG whipcrack whipcrack whoosh sound effect.

Anybody else remember Johnny Test? TTG is in the same category in my mind. Sound effects and sparkles to keep the seven year olds sitting at attention.

Sir, this is a Denny's

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had not seen such hatred for a cartoon character since Scrappy Doo. To hear some of the comments online, you'd have thought Test was Satan incarnate sent to this world to devour all hope and sunshine.

Well, it's a pretty badly written and poorly animated cartoon at least.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Teen Titans Go is a pretty good silly animated cartoon for kids. It's not stupid or lazy, it just isn't serious. It reminds me of a more anarchic Spongebob more than anything else.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lightning Lord posted:

Well, it's a pretty badly written and poorly animated cartoon at least.

Wasn't it Flash-based?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jukebox Hero posted:

Teen Titans was also sugary junk for children.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I never watched the original Teen Titans, but every time I've caught a clip or episode of TTG on youtube I've laughed. And not the kind where you kind of softly chuckle and smile bit, but a genuine laugh. Maybe it's selection bias since people are only posting the best clips, but from what I've seen the show seems really funny.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wasn't it Flash-based?

I recall it became Flash based after it's first season.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so uh, yanno that episode of JLU where Lex Luthor and the Flash switch bodies?

And Flash in Luthor's body is heavily implied to have done the do with Tala?

That's kind of uh

Horrible

Like seriously how did no one ever loving catch that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TFRazorsaw posted:

so uh, yanno that episode of JLU where Lex Luthor and the Flash switch bodies?

And Flash in Luthor's body is heavily implied to have done the do with Tala?

That's kind of uh

Horrible

Like seriously how did no one ever loving catch that?

*Devin Grayson voice* It wasn't rape, it was just non-consensual.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Everyone brings up YJ getting hosed over, but I was more bummed at them canceling Green Lantern TAS

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wrote off GLTAS because the pilot looked like a bargain bin PS2 game but I've seen clips in my YouTube recommended feed and it looks like it turned into a pretty good show. I keep thinking I'll watch the whole thing one of these days but then end up putting it off. Is it streaming anywhere?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
GL was definitely the better show that got the most unfair deal due to the Ryan Reynolds movie being a massive flop.

Catching up on the new Spider-man cartoon: three episodes came out yesterday, making a symbiote arc (i think, i've only seen the first one so far) and man, that's a strong debut for Dark Spider-man. I really dig the Sandman stuff, too. The show is kinda loud about how much it uses the science angle, but I like how family is a bit more subtle, yet just as important. However, most emotional and in-depth thoughts kinda fly away with how loving cool Symbiote Spider-man's debut was, that was some SSJ poo poo right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I wrote off GLTAS because the pilot looked like a bargain bin PS2 game but I've seen clips in my YouTube recommended feed and it looks like it turned into a pretty good show. I keep thinking I'll watch the whole thing one of these days but then end up putting it off. Is it streaming anywhere?

There was a really funny moment in the first episode where Hal meets up with a Lantern from "frontier space" (where they were) and Kilowog makes fun of Hal for wearing a mask to hide his identity in the depths of space.

The first season was Hal traveling from the edge of the galaxy after Hal and Kilowog commandeer an experimental Lantern spaceship and discovering that Red Lanterns exist and they're coming for revenge. When he finally gets back to Earth Hal learns that Guy Gardner has been activated as a Lantern and that he is much more popular and famous than Hal. The second half of the show was Hal versus the Manhunters who in turn were working for the Anti-Monitor. The show wraps up most of its story arcs and doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything like that so it isn't like other canceled cartoon shows.