Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pokeyman posted:

that would be Jew Killer3000

you have been foiled by spacing (once again?)

it could be a particularly awful form upload that stripped :'s but replaced -'s with spaces

Jew:Killer-3000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how difficult is expected to be postgres 9 to 10 migration, from ops perspective?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how difficult is expected to be postgres 9 to 10 migration, from ops perspective?

i dont know, op

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

cinci zoo sniper posted:

never lose faith in postgres' excellent docs:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/release-10.html#idm45262057027344

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eh that's plenty of moonspeak to me there, i'm just wondering if i should consider ops side of things when talking about potential postgres setup at least for our department at my job. if it can be rear end to likely mildly competent team then i would much rather wait until version 10 is out

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ezpz

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

paging dapper nerds: is there a way to have a single object property name different than the corresponding column name in the proc that doesn't generate more boilerplate than just manually mapping the class in the first place?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i hate conferences that completely misrepresent themselves

thankfully i didn't pay for this but literally all i'm getting out of it is a t-shirt

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Blinkz0rz posted:

thankfully i didn't pay for this but literally all i'm getting out of it is a t-shirt

What was it supposed to be about?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Blinkz0rz posted:

so like 90% of them then? especially if they're not academic?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
seriously like most conferences that arent part of something academic or organizational are all just sales events

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HoboMan posted:

paging dapper nerds: is there a way to have a single object property name different than the corresponding column name in the proc that doesn't generate more boilerplate than just manually mapping the class in the first place?

i clean up pretty well, but i'm not sure how this qualifies me to answer your question

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
C++ exceptions: Good or bad?

People on the internet seem to have strong opinions but I'm not swayed much by either side.

It also seems to me different people on the exceptions : yes side have pretty different ideas for what exceptions ought to be used for and when you should and shouldn't use them (like in a constructor, for example).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

meatpotato posted:

People on the internet seem to have strong opinions but I'm not swayed much by either side.

It also seems to me different people on the exceptions : yes side have pretty different ideas for what exceptions ought to be used for and when you should and shouldn't use them (like in a constructor, for example).

exceptions in many languages are very difficult to use correctly or even safely, ie without perturbing the state of the program by causing things like abandoned/leaked objects, descriptors, etc.

RAII in C++ tries to deal with this by forcing all resource management to be done via scoped destruction but whoops, you still need a route out of it because sometimes an object graph needs to have a dynamic lifetime and then you're right back to dealing with the risk

support for constructs like try…finally in Java and Objective-C can help by ensuring cleanup, but you still need to know an exception being thrown is a risk in the first place

that's why Swift doesn't have exceptions, and its error-throwing mechanism requires any call that can throw an error be prefixed by try; it also uses defer to support cleanup no matter how a scope is exited in a very natural way

Common Lisp is more like C++ in that you have to assume anything can raise a condition at any time, the differences are that cleanup isn't much of a thing in Lisp because of GC, and it's actually possible to handle a condition and resume from it—and this can even work dynamically, rather than just via static/lexical scoping

IMO it's worthwhile to look at the Common Lisp condition system as it's a superset of everything, and then just do whatever is most common in your language of choice

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i clean up pretty well, but i'm not sure how this qualifies me to answer your question

im too pretty for databases

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

what if my language of choice is Atari Jaguar DSP assembly

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

eschaton posted:

exceptions in many languages are very difficult to use correctly or even safely, ie without perturbing the state of the program by causing things like abandoned/leaked objects, descriptors, etc.

actually this is only a problem in C++

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
is swift any good?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Swift is good op

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

redleader posted:

is swift any good?

yes

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

redleader posted:

is swift any good?

depends on whether you have ever used a goodlang

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it's a gently caress lot better than objective-c, so ya it's pretty good!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it's pretty good for a toy language imo :can:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

happy 2^8 day, thread

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

what if my language of choice is Atari Jaguar DSP assembly

in that case there is a free instruction, but it frees the wrong thing

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

meatpotato posted:

Good, but be aware of things like Optional<T> and other alternatives.

Also RAII all the things, or die horribly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wheany posted:

FREE (Rn) - Frees an allocated block of memory at the location in Rn.

Errata: The block must be phrase-aligned, Jupiter must be in retrograde, and the moon must be waxing gibbous or this instruction will cause your system to self-destruct.

Workaround: Never free any allocated memory.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

meatpotato posted:

Necessary. I'm converting manually checked errors in an old C++ project to exceptions and it's not because manually checked errors worked bad although I found lots of unchecked errors in the process :unsmigghh:

but overall: pretty bad, sadly

eschaton posted:

that's why Swift doesn't have exceptions, and its error-throwing mechanism requires any call that can throw an error be prefixed by try

and this is a major reason why C++ exceptions are bad: no way to know what part of a statement or expression may throw. resource management is by far not the only victim of unexpected exceptions, so RAII is of limited help. I really like how swift features like error throwing, enums and pattern matching work together to help you code strong integrity guarantees. I really miss it in standard C++

eschaton posted:

it also uses defer to support cleanup no matter how a scope is exited in a very natural way

well defer is basically scope-based RAII. shamefully C++ doesn't have an equivalent

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's pretty good for a toy language imo :can:

:getout: swift is an incredible language. a true modern programming language

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

actually this is only a problem in C++

this is completely false but thanks for playing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
swift would have been cool if they had integrated a real gc

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

holy crap Sublime Text 3 is actually out of beta

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

whaaaaa

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sublime text 3 has been in beta for as long as i've been programming

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Wheany posted:

have an opcode for free

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

nearly every dev friend i told about this, because it's shocking, has been like [pinches nose] well i prefer using <editor>

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

it looks different than beta did, why

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

it looks different than beta did, why

maybe he was working a year on adaptive theme for windows random colour thing

schranz kafka posted:

nearly every dev friend i told about this, because it's shocking, has been like [pinches nose] well i prefer using <editor>

yeah idk i liked sublime but now sorry mates you are going to pry visual studio code out of my cold, dead hands irrespective of the platform

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the lack of async/await in java is really bad, god drat. i hope this gets added to java 10 and java 10 comes out some time this decade.

trying to do things with netty is like the io equivalent of assembly language programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sapozhnik posted:

trying to do things with netty is like the io equivalent of assembly language programming.
You sweet summer child.

• Locked thread