Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Omni-Magician trip report: as of chapter 68, MC has made Ironman Mk 2 armor, and has found something to be JARVIS. It's quite entertaining so far, with only the first girl being annoying with her money grubbing ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nielsm posted:

I hate the translations "ganbaru" usually bear. Is the "just appearing to make an effort is good enough" some cultural thing? Because that's what it appears like to me, and it feels really unnatural to read that. In English you never proudly proclaim you "will try", to be proud you will do it. "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Yes it sort of changes the meaning but not really. You still set out to make your best attempt to solve it, I think it's just the cultural outlook at the idea of doing something that may not have perfect success rate.

People say they'll try to do something all the time, although a more natural translation would be "ill do my best"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ugh, i tried reading dao of magic. i couldn't get through the second chapter, what with all of the puerile cursing and incoherent leaps of logic. "oh what's up with the energy here, it is real weird and different from qi and i have never seen or heard of anything similar. i know! it must be mana, which i remember as a vague fictional concept from 1000 years ago which did not include any concrete methods for using it." i suspect the mc is always right and always knows more than anyone else and brags about this in an insufferable internal monologue. it really reads like a teenage nerd's first attempt at writing fiction.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Katreus posted:

If we're reccing fanfic, I'd like to rec something in a similar vein, an original xianxia quest called Forge of Destiny. A quest is basically like a forum game where all the questers control a single character and vote on actions or decisions that the character does, and the Quest Master responds with the results and controls all non-protagonist characters. Like web novels, quest posts can vary in quality.

In this case, I think Forge of Destiny is a lot of fun with minimal 'game' aspects for story post readers, it's well written, and it updates pretty regularly. It's got an interesting world, if influenced by Chinese culture, and side characters feel distinct and have agency / their own adventures. One of my favorite side characters would usually be considered an antagonist in these types of stories (by trope / genre) but her development has been very unique.

Fair warning - there is a bit of tense switch-up and 2nd person / 3rd person mixups in the beginning posts, but it's sorted out as the story continues.

Right, going to second that one. It's fun and the world building is fairly excellent. Not only that, but the QM makes a good job of having secondary characters having agency and doing their own stuff.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Omni-Magician posted:

The instant Ye Chui moved his left ring finger, the beast skin was aroused.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Katreus posted:

If we're reccing fanfic, I'd like to rec something in a similar vein, an original xianxia quest called Forge of Destiny. A quest is basically like a forum game where all the questers control a single character and vote on actions or decisions that the character does, and the Quest Master responds with the results and controls all non-protagonist characters. Like web novels, quest posts can vary in quality.

In this case, I think Forge of Destiny is a lot of fun with minimal 'game' aspects for story post readers, it's well written, and it updates pretty regularly. It's got an interesting world, if influenced by Chinese culture, and side characters feel distinct and have agency / their own adventures. One of my favorite side characters would usually be considered an antagonist in these types of stories (by trope / genre) but her development has been very unique.

Fair warning - there is a bit of tense switch-up and 2nd person / 3rd person mixups in the beginning posts, but it's sorted out as the story continues.
This has pretty good characterization.

I'm completely ignoring the background mechanics, though I am curious how much fudging is done (not in the faking rolls sense, but in the setting "appropriate" challenge level).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 10, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if Volume 7 of Rokka no Yuusha is in progress. From what I understand, the last volume was some side story thing released early 2016. I don't mind waiting a really long time, but I really want to find out what happens at some point. The translations stopped right after one of the Big Twists was revealed (and it was a pretty good/cruel twist* that was foreshadowed pretty well since Volume 1).

* Being Fremy is suffering

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Anyone want to donate for some poorly translated WN chapters?

http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/estelions-secret-imouto-150usd-chapters.47298/

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
couldnt you find an actual pro freelancer to translate a chapter for that kind of money?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yyyep, that's in the neighborhood of what I'd charge for Bookworm chapters if it was my full time gig. (And if making money off of somebody else's freely-released work wasn't unethical as gently caress.)

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

couldnt you find an actual pro freelancer to translate a chapter for that kind of money?

i was curious about this so i looked it up.

the latest chapter of way of choices is 2199 words. according to google a typical rate charged by a translator going from english to chinese would be around $0.10 per word. some are lower and some are higher. so in order to translate the latest chapter of way of choices into chinese it would cost $219.90

obviously, we're not changing from english to chinese but the other way around. but assuming things are roughly commensurate both ways you couldnt hire a professional translator for 150

thank you for reading

Absum
May 28, 2013

Did you guys even click on the link? It's just estelion trolling mtl groups and readers again (and a lot of people in that thread falling for it).

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i dont know who estelion is

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everyone else is a returnee ended. ultimately, he over-prepared for the last boss when he had already accidentally ruined the boss' plans a while back. so, a complete anti-climax.

it was pretty okay, overall.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I thought it was a joke post until I saw the 'really serious announcement' tag.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Law Cheetah posted:

i was curious about this so i looked it up.

the latest chapter of way of choices is 2199 words. according to google a typical rate charged by a translator going from english to chinese would be around $0.10 per word. some are lower and some are higher. so in order to translate the latest chapter of way of choices into chinese it would cost $219.90

obviously, we're not changing from english to chinese but the other way around. but assuming things are roughly commensurate both ways you couldnt hire a professional translator for 150

thank you for reading

Could I just flick dimes at people and get them to read chinese signs for me

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Law Cheetah posted:

i dont know who estelion is

Been following his translations for a while and the translator is kinda crazy, with probably the most out of place and bizarre translator comments.

Some personal favorites I can remember

They translated a character swearing a bunch, and had a TL note apologizing that he couldn't figure out a way to translate it properly without subjecting us to foul language.
A character asked for a second helping and the TL note was something on the lines of, in Japanese culture a second helping might mean a 3rd or 4th helping but I didn't know how to translate this into English properly.
They also call the slightest amount of tension a big cliffhanger which is also funny.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Ehm you are probably thinking of the group Estelions secret imouto which he links to in that post.

IDK why there's a group called Estelions secret imouto but he's not their translator. Dunno if he actually knows the people in that other group or if he hates them or what.

His site is this although he lets some other people post stuff there as well sometimes idk I'm just there for kenkyo kenjitsu.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

everyone else is a returnee ended. ultimately, he over-prepared for the last boss when he had already accidentally ruined the boss' plans a while back. so, a complete anti-climax.

it was pretty okay, overall.

I liked it, even if like you said the whole last book was pretty anticlimactic.

It's kind of fitting that after spending hundreds of chapters meticulously preparing and grinding for any and all surprises, he accidentally over prepares and finally gets the jump on the other guy for once. I kind of treated the whole last book as an extended epilogue and it works better that way I think.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

lurksion posted:

This has pretty good characterization.

I'm completely ignoring the background mechanics, though I am curious how much fudging is done (not in the faking rolls sense, but in the setting "appropriate" challenge level).

No idea TBH. I don't think there's been a single one that has a listed DC.

I'm enjoying Zhou's Trial though, complete with redux of Zhou's Test Part 2. It's hilarious to me how Ling Qi gets these random, inexplicable stealth crits and just trivializes a section of the exam by stealthing her way past all the obstacles. Granted, I don't expect it to last in the forest - if nothing else, Gu Xiulan is probably not as successful in her extraction from the city. ... No wonder the Grinning Moon likes Ling Qi though. Hope she's being Smug as Heck up there.

Also, just in general, I love the xianxia Mongols (?) exemplified in the Cloud Tribe from the Khans to just the image of roiling thunderclouds of flying horse archers and lightning bolt ballistae equivalents. The qilins are a nice touch; as a mythological creature, I feel like they get overshadowed by the imperial dragon and phoenix, or even the tiger, but qilins are great.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Absum posted:

Ehm you are probably thinking of the group Estelions secret imouto which he links to in that post.

IDK why there's a group called Estelions secret imouto but he's not their translator. Dunno if he actually knows the people in that other group or if he hates them or what.

I feel like I remember reading some translator comment on either that site or Estelion's own site celebrating Trump's victory in the election, lol. On second thought, I think it may have been "oniichanyamete" because I think the only thing I've read much of from either group is Kenkyo Kenjitsu.

edit: There's something particularly amusing and fitting about the idea of the sort of person who is really into bad web novels also being an ardent Trump supporter.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Katreus posted:

No idea TBH. I don't think there's been a single one that has a listed DC.

I'm enjoying Zhou's Trial though, complete with redux of Zhou's Test Part 2. It's hilarious to me how Ling Qi gets these random, inexplicable stealth crits and just trivializes a section of the exam by stealthing her way past all the obstacles. Granted, I don't expect it to last in the forest - if nothing else, Gu Xiulan is probably not as successful in her extraction from the city. ... No wonder the Grinning Moon likes Ling Qi though. Hope she's being Smug as Heck up there.

Also, just in general, I love the xianxia Mongols (?) exemplified in the Cloud Tribe from the Khans to just the image of roiling thunderclouds of flying horse archers and lightning bolt ballistae equivalents. The qilins are a nice touch; as a mythological creature, I feel like they get overshadowed by the imperial dragon and phoenix, or even the tiger, but qilins are great.

Yeah, the Xanxia mongols are cool as heck. Also I'm kinda pissed that I had forgotten we had a stealth reroll. That would have convinced me to vote.

Grinning Moon being smug as heck is a awesome image.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Katreus posted:

This is really good for what is essentially an elaborate xianxia themed Kill La Kill fanfic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason I'm not surprised at all that the most cliche "commoner picked up due to talent" option seems to have been chosen in the beginning poll.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason I'm not surprised at all that the most cliche "commoner picked up due to talent" option seems to have been chosen in the beginning poll.

Could have been worse, they could have picked the "Stupidly talented guy who got off of death row purely because of being stupidly talented" guy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alectai posted:

Could have been worse, they could have picked the "Stupidly talented guy who got off of death row purely because of being stupidly talented" guy.

Yeah, that's true.

I'm actually enjoying that story a lot. I'm having a much easier time enjoying the general Xianxia setting when it's actually written in English to begin with. The writer isn't amazing or anything, but they're at least competent enough that mistakes don't distract me and so far have avoided annoying tropes (I'm at the part with the test). Most "actual" Xianxia, even if the translation is above average, still read kinda funny just because general events/ideas are expressed sorta differently in Chinese.

Also, does it even make sense to call something "fanfic" if it isn't based off an existing property? Like, if it's a unique story that just happens to take place in a Xianxia-inspired world, isn't that just "a Xianxia, except written by an English-speaker"?

edit: I'm kinda curious what happens if the character catastrophically loses their rolls during a lethal fight. I'm sure it probably happens at some point, but there haven't been enough fights yet for that situation to pop up. I'm guessing the narrative rescues them in some way.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 17, 2017

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I'm kinda curious what happens if the character catastrophically loses their rolls during a lethal fight. I'm sure it probably happens at some point, but there haven't been enough fights yet for that situation to pop up. I'm guessing the narrative rescues them in some way.

Hard to say. All that's known so far is that Cultivators are pretty durable--and thus, it's pretty hard to kill them accidentally. There's only been one real life-or-death battle so far, and it was pretty firmly in the MC's control thanks to good use of surprise attacks and leveraging an ambush effectively--part of why a lot of the people following the story closely love the MC, because where most Xianxia protagonists go Super Fighter or Super Wizard, she went Bard--and it's turned her into this nigh unkillable cockroach who drags you down into exhaustion and frustration, and just becomes even worse in group matchups.

There's some pretty serious throwdowns though after the first three month grace period ends.

Alectai fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 17, 2017

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Avulsion posted:

This is really good for what is essentially an elaborate xianxia themed Kill La Kill fanfic.

Haha. Cai's ambition has managed to take over the story underpinnings in a way. Quite surprising to me given that Ling Qi didn't really intend to fall in with the mini-Empire version and that her first reaction to Cai was: who? :v: There are a couple other inspired expy too like Sun Liling, Gu Xiulan, and Huang Da. Just somewhat inspired though.

Ytlaya posted:

Given the other options... Actually, I didn't stumble onto the story until later but IIRC, the two other popular options were the stereotypical xianxia protagonist start and the fans-of-World of Cultivation profile. That one, I think, made it in as a cameo. Fatty Huo, the pill seller in the market. And the first one made it in in the form of Ji Rong.

I do think that even within the confines of the talented commoner, it's unusual to see a character that's more thief than warrior and a support (buff + cc) rather than a direct DPS.

Ytlaya posted:

Also, does it even make sense to call something "fanfic" if it isn't based off an existing property? Like, if it's a unique story that just happens to take place in a Xianxia-inspired world, isn't that just "a Xianxia, except written by an English-speaker"?

It's not quite a web novel though given the reader interaction - and of course, it updates on a forum. I just piggybacked off of the fanfic rec as something that's like a web novel but a step to the side.

quote:

Well, don't forget Elder Jiao laid down the rules at the start of the story for behavior in the Outer Sect. So, people will toe the line, some more close to the edge than others. But if you're at Zhou's Test, you're still in the 3 month Truce period. Thunderdome hasn't started yet.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

I do think that even within the confines of the talented commoner, it's unusual to see a character that's more thief than warrior and a support (buff + cc) rather than a direct DPS.

Yeah; while honestly the thief angle was predictable (so far there hasn't been a single choice regarding the character's trajectory where I haven't immediately thought "people are definitely going to choose X" and been correct), it was predictable from an angle of "what I would expect Western fans to want to see in a story like this", which doesn't really coincide with actual "Xianxia written in China" tropes.

This thing is gonna get me familiar with a bunch of Xianxia tropes and terminology and then I'm going to get addicted to these things just like the rest of you, aren't I?

edit: I feel like all this cultivation stuff is some sort of tortured metaphor for drug addiction

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 17, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in a record of a mortal's journey to immortality (such an awful title), the mc has no particular talent or background, but early on he finds a magic doohickey that lets him get the ingredients for cultivation drugs easily. so, like 90% of his success is due to taking lots and lots of drugs in lieu of the meditation and gathering energy parts of cultivation. the rest is his fervent desire to stay low-key and avoid any big dramatic displays so he can take drugs in peace.

if anything it takes the low-key thing too far, because as of the most recent translated chapters he has no friends, no family, belongs to no organization and is a 200+ year old virgin.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I mean, there's even a part where the character does many chakra drugs at once and just nods out for a couple days, causing everyone to worry about her. Upon being told what happened, the go "oh yeah, just do that in the privacy of your own home."

I'm generally really enjoying this, though. I feel like half the main female characters the protagonist interacts with are secretly in love with her (definitely applies to Li Suyin and Bai Weizhen, possibly also the haughty girl I forget the name of). Unfortunately for them, the protagonist seems to have a thing for swole dudes.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

It is good. Speaking of the original character choice options, the noble dude with the tiger cub is pretty clearly the noble starting option as well. Kinda poor talent, a reputation as a wastrel that he's trying to work off.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SerSpook posted:

It is good. Speaking of the original character choice options, the noble dude with the tiger cub is pretty clearly the noble starting option as well. Kinda poor talent, a reputation as a wastrel that he's trying to work off.

I wonder if Li Suyin is the Merchant or Artisan's child (I forget which her parents are, but I remember they were one of those).

One thing I really like about this is it seems to keep all the other characters relatively powerful compared to the protagonist. While the protagonist is talented, I don't get the impression she's lucking into all sorts of ridiculous advantages or anything (and for the time being I still get the impression she'd lose in a straight fight against most of the named characters). The only thing that comes to mind is her getting the arts from the great spirit, and even that isn't a huge advantage of her peers.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in a record of a mortal's journey to immortality (such an awful title), the mc has no particular talent or background, but early on he finds a magic doohickey that lets him get the ingredients for cultivation drugs easily. so, like 90% of his success is due to taking lots and lots of drugs in lieu of the meditation and gathering energy parts of cultivation. the rest is his fervent desire to stay low-key and avoid any big dramatic displays so he can take drugs in peace.

if anything it takes the low-key thing too far, because as of the most recent translated chapters he has no friends, no family, belongs to no organization and is a 200+ year old virgin.

I like this one a lot too. He does have a paranoid personality but given how he became a cultivator it makes sense.

He isnt a virgin, though.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

SerSpook posted:

It's believed that Han Jian is a rework on the High Noble option (too much Talent for it), Li Suyin of the Scholar option (not rich enough for it), Gan Guangli of the soldier option (born commoner, picked up by CRX), Ji Rong is mostly straight criminal option.

As for expys, Sun Liling was inspired by Ranma(Ranko), Cai Renxiang by Satsuki (Kill la Kill), Gu Xiulan by Azula (A:TLA), Huang Da by 'harem protagonist creep', and maybe I am forgetting some.

Ling Qi is doing a bit better than her peers, mostly because the Ling Qi train never stops- thought it slows down sometimes. Other characters have their own plots though.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Arkeus posted:

As for expys, Sun Liling was inspired by Ranma(Ranko), Cai Renxiang by Satsuki (Kill la Kill), Gu Xiulan by Azula (A:TLA), Huang Da by 'harem protagonist creep', and maybe I am forgetting some.

I figured Sun Liling for Ryuko from Kill la Kill, given her rivalry with Cai Renxiang and the fact that her armor is powered by blood.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DeafAsianQT posted:

I like this one a lot too. He does have a paranoid personality but given how he became a cultivator it makes sense.

He isnt a virgin, though.

oh yeah, he got hit with a whammy alongside a much older woman.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Absum posted:

I'm just there for kenkyo kenjitsu.

Speaking of there's a translation of Kenkyo Kenjitsu posted on fanfiction.net of all places that's up to chapter 266 right now and usually does 2-3 chapters a day. Translation quality is... not great, but not so bad as to destroy enjoyment, and they manage to keep character voice at least. Still, it's Kenkyo Kenjitsu, which is still good and fun even after 200+ chapters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheDemon posted:

Speaking of there's a translation of Kenkyo Kenjitsu posted on fanfiction.net of all places that's up to chapter 266 right now and usually does 2-3 chapters a day. Translation quality is... not great, but not so bad as to destroy enjoyment, and they manage to keep character voice at least. Still, it's Kenkyo Kenjitsu, which is still good and fun even after 200+ chapters.

Holy poo poo, awesome. That's almost as good as when I found out that all of Arc 4 of Re:Zero was translated.

I've been continuing to read Forge of Destiny, and the Thunderdome part just started. While I like haughty girl, I wish Ling Qi would spend more time with snake girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:siren: Long boring Spider Girl flashback finally over. :siren:

Even the author pokes fun at it in the chapter title.