Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone else have a hell of a time trying to figure out what to play as? I just kinda stare at all the options in the empire designer and just space out.

Me. Whenever I set my mind to starting a new game, odds are 50-50 that I'll get paralyzed by choices and just never start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone else have a hell of a time trying to figure out what to play as? I just kinda stare at all the options in the empire designer and just space out.

Just play a warp using materialist and go robot, it's the easiest way to play.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do Crises not fire in multiplayer? I never seem to see any, even when rushing jump drives should mean fairly early Unbidden.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

How are you actually supposed to handle the Scourge? I've been wiped by them three times now as it seems like the AI is far too stupid to actually show up to help fight them even when they explicitly state they're banding together to do so. They usually appear on or right outside my border and although I know how to counterbuild them and can usually stall for ages and wipe out their single or double stacks fairly easily, I have no idea how I'm actually supposed to stop them when nobody else in the galaxy acknowledges they exist, even the Fallen Empires that awake for the purpose of fighting them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Click the random empire button and then tweak the results.

Main Paineframe posted:

Minerals are fine, but energy stays pretty important through most of the game, enough that I actually notice the hit to energy when I put a bunch of planets into sectors, especially now that I'm running over my fleet cap more regularly. There's things like unity, too - the AI will happily steamroll all your temples and turn them into farms if you let it redevelop, and it seems to have about a 75% chance of totally ignoring unique resources like alien pets and building a mine or something there instead. I wouldn't mind sectors if they weren't awful, but it's kind of jarring that you spend the first chunk of the game carefully optimizing your planets, and then all of a sudden you have to go let the AI tear that all apart. What's the point of making every planet feel unique when the game's going to eventually force you to chuck them in a generic bin and never look at them again?
I said it in another post, but Unity is what made me stop trusting sectors. With everything else I'm pretty happy with my results from hitting "no redevelopment", "respect tile resources", and "energy focus", but if I don't have enough clear spaces my monuments aren't getting built and if I unlock paradise domes or visitor centres after the relevant tiles are filled I'm boned.

But apparently in 1.8 you'll be able to drop into sectors for free, so I'll be able to go back to shoving everything into sectors for the mundane stuff and just dropping by for the important stuff, which is exactly what I want.

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure, but the problem there is that the micromanagement just sucks, period. For example, why should we have to click the upgrade button on the Planetary Administration, wait however many months for it to finish, and then come back and click the upgrade button on every single building on the planet since they're all eligible for upgrades now? That's not something that's fun and reasonable, no matter how few planets you have.
It's the same problem. Early on that's fine* because upgrading or building a building is a hefty chunk of your stockpile, so deciding if you're going to upgrade/build something, and if so what, is a major decision. Once the minerals start coming in as fast as you can spend them that part of the game changes, but the interface is still stuck in +10 minerals a month mode.

It'd be neat of the core sector actually acted like a pseudo-sector. It gets 0% - 75% of your mineral income and can spend it on upgrading things, which it does continually in the background. You control everything else though (new buildings, robots, new colonies etc) and can manually upgrade important stuff to jump the queue.

*e: I just realised your issue is that you can't queue upgrades that would be valid after the PA is built until it's actually built. Yeah that's not great.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 11, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

How are you actually supposed to handle the Scourge? I've been wiped by them three times now as it seems like the AI is far too stupid to actually show up to help fight them even when they explicitly state they're banding together to do so. They usually appear on or right outside my border and although I know how to counterbuild them and can usually stall for ages and wipe out their single or double stacks fairly easily, I have no idea how I'm actually supposed to stop them when nobody else in the galaxy acknowledges they exist, even the Fallen Empires that awake for the purpose of fighting them.

Use long range weapons to wipe their fleets that stray into your territory. Ideally allow them to live while they kill everyone else in the galaxy.

The Prethoryn are actually really easy to beat because their fleet comp is terrible.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is the automated dreadnought supposed to just disappear after a while if you don't engage it? I guess the AI won't have killed it. Anyone know a console command to make it come back:?

Also, two ascendant empires started fighting, I was the vassal of one and the others chewing up my stuff - anything I can do about it?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of want to try taking a crack at adding a Kelvin timeline submod for ST New Horizons, since the devs don't seem to be interested (and also because some ST nerds get mad about the jjtrek movies).

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is the automated dreadnought supposed to just disappear after a while if you don't engage it? I guess the AI won't have killed it. Anyone know a console command to make it come back:?

Also, two ascendant empires started fighting, I was the vassal of one and the others chewing up my stuff - anything I can do about it?

The AI definitely killed it. I've personally seen them kill the Stellarite Devourer and pump the energy back into the sun. They also killed the Enigmatic Fortress, which was a real kick in the balls.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

RevolverDivider posted:

My fleets always end up being composed of two kinds of battleships: the ones with a focused arc emitter and 4 kinetic artillery and the ones with kinetic artillery mixed with flak batteries. Enough kinetic artillery will destroy literally anything, and the flak deals with fighters and missiles which are the only things that can compete with it on range. Coincidentally, the Scourge uses mostly fighters and missiles.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Korgan posted:

The AI definitely killed it. I've personally seen them kill the Stellarite Devourer and pump the energy back into the sun. They also killed the Enigmatic Fortress, which was a real kick in the balls.

Arg. Think ill go back and 'save' it. Might help deal with these ascendants

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

THE loving MOON posted:

Me. Whenever I set my mind to starting a new game, odds are 50-50 that I'll get paralyzed by choices and just never start

:sadwave:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

ugh its Troika posted:

I kind of want to try taking a crack at adding a Kelvin timeline submod for ST New Horizons, since the devs don't seem to be interested (and also because some ST nerds get mad about the jjtrek movies).

Shouldn't be too hard: increase ship speeds by a factor of 100, reduce shield hp by 75%, and turn up the bloom to max.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Arg. Think ill go back and 'save' it. Might help deal with these ascendants

I wouldn't bother, it's not actually very good.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

ugh its Troika posted:

There actually is an event chain in the mod for Star Trek: Beyond.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nevets posted:

Shouldn't be too hard: increase ship speeds by a factor of 100, reduce shield hp by 75%, and turn up the bloom to max.

I was thinking more along the lines of adding a proper fed cannon speciality tree (and hulls), actually, as well as some events related to the first two movies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RevolverDivider posted:

How are you actually supposed to handle the Scourge?

Artillery ships mess 'em up bad. Just a huge fleet of artillery, they should barely touch it.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

RevolverDivider posted:

I just saw the Scourge for the first time (always get the Unbidden). I was trying to figure out how to deal with a massive AE that was tearing up the galaxy (the only other empires capable of fighting the AE formed a federation but wouldn't let me join) when I got the message the Scourge were on their way. Unfortunately for me, they decided to land in the middle of my vassal so I had to send my 100k fleet of kinetic battleships over to rescue them. I was starting to turn the tide when they dropped multiple 60k fleets at once in the system I was guarding. Fortunately, the AE recognized the threat and offered to join a federation with me then dropped a 600k fleet on the Scourge home world. Problem solved.

Of course, now the AE doesn't want to fight anymore and I can't even conquer the other empires since we're in a federation. With over a over 750k fleet the AE is unstoppable so we're all stuck in this galactic cold war since we can't be invaded and apparently don't want to invade anyone else.

Personally, I think AEs are too powerful. Other empires don't seem to realize what an existential threat they pose and so they're all too busy squabbling amongst themselves while the AE ramps up their fleet power and holdings. And since the war in heaven doesn't always fire one AE can quickly run away with the game. The only time I've ever seen a lone AE stopped was when a powerful empire completely surrounded them before they awakened and had the fleet power to (apparently) hold them off.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I wish this game had a "Preview random" feature. You can hit random and start a new game but you won't have any idea until the new game loads. Why not have a button that randomizes all the options and lets you preview it/tweak from there?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

GamingHyena posted:

Personally, I think AEs are too powerful. Other empires don't seem to realize what an existential threat they pose and so they're all too busy squabbling amongst themselves while the AE ramps up their fleet power and holdings. And since the war in heaven doesn't always fire one AE can quickly run away with the game. The only time I've ever seen a lone AE stopped was when a powerful empire completely surrounded them before they awakened and had the fleet power to (apparently) hold them off.

That's why they added this new decadence mechanic for awakened empires. The bigger they get the bigger penalties they get meaning that they go from fallen, to awesome awakened, to conquerors of the galaxy, to being overthrown.

One of the original concepts for Stellaris is that essentially there's no end game, just a cycle of empires rising and falling. So the idea that an AE is pretty much unstoppable until it's subjugated the entire galaxy (or most of it) and then gets complacent is pretty cool.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah. Decided to play a warmonger with fanatic militarist and xenophobe, and bulked up fire rate with other choices. Started cleaning up local non-empire threats with smaller fleets than I was used to when my science ships ran across a temple.

A decade later we're fanatic spiratualists, stamping out the last of the militarist with a growing pacifist faction. Once I embrace them and pick up Agrarian Idyll I'm likely to revert to builder style again. So I started a new game as an all-consuming hive mind.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kitchner posted:

That's why they added this new decadence mechanic for awakened empires. The bigger they get the bigger penalties they get meaning that they go from fallen, to awesome awakened, to conquerors of the galaxy, to being overthrown.

One of the original concepts for Stellaris is that essentially there's no end game, just a cycle of empires rising and falling. So the idea that an AE is pretty much unstoppable until it's subjugated the entire galaxy (or most of it) and then gets complacent is pretty cool.

Something that I've always wanted in a 4X, and which would be perfect here, is the ability for empires to lose technologies. Not easily, it shouldn't be a regular thing most of the time, but when the heart of your Empire has been torn out and you've lost a dozen core systems, including two ringworlds and a dyson sphere, it's pretty reasonable to suggest some knowledge has been lost.

I sincerely doubt that's something most players would find enjoyable though, to say nothing of the nightmare it would pose for balancing.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Adequate posted:

Something that I've always wanted in a 4X, and which would be perfect here, is the ability for empires to lose technologies. Not easily, it shouldn't be a regular thing most of the time, but when the heart of your Empire has been torn out and you've lost a dozen core systems, including two ringworlds and a dyson sphere, it's pretty reasonable to suggest some knowledge has been lost.

I sincerely doubt that's something most players would find enjoyable though, to say nothing of the nightmare it would pose for balancing.
Let me tell you about a little game called Emperor of the Fading Suns...

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Even in a thriving empire, there will only be hyperdrive hobbyists will around when warp drives are everywhere and no one has built any on an industrial scale for generations. The same could apply to weapons, like how many missile factories will be around if everyone has fought with lasers for the past century.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Nut to Butt posted:

Let me tell you about a little game called Emperor of the Fading Suns...

While I've never played the RPG its based off of with a group, I do own a copy and it's as delightful to occasionally read through as you might imagine.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I don't think that a spacefaring people could forget some things while retaining others. In an age of automation & digital media, either you can access the internet (or whatever passes for it in the year 2525) and therefore can learn anything that has ever been known; or you can't and will starve to death because the egg collecting robot froze up and you can't tell a chicken from a chimney.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Nevets posted:

I don't think that a spacefaring people could forget some things while retaining others. In an age of automation & digital media, either you can access the internet (or whatever passes for it in the year 2525) and therefore can learn anything that has ever been known; or you can't and will starve to death because the egg collecting robot froze up and you can't tell a chicken from a chimney.

The Fading Suns setting proposes that extreme stratification of technology happens along an almost European medieval mindset (in fact, the setting is very much medieval Europe IN SPAAACE). The loss of galactic civilization pounded a giant reset button for the vast majority of humanity, which live in low-tech squalor, while just barely enough technological knowledge has been retained (and jealously guarded) by craft-guilds to keep spaceships running for their ultra-rich patrons/nobility.

I'll grant it's not realistic, but it's fun. The whole setting is basically Dune and Warhammer 40k had a baby and got it baptized Catholic.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nevets posted:

Something like that would be extremely useful for maintaining civilization despite losses, and would justify needing to lose a fairly large chunk of your civilization before you lose tech, but at some point you're going to run out of experts and academic institutions and robots to build robots to build your specialized poo poo. I'm not saying you should go from having a dozen repeatable techs in each field to Bronze Age or anything, but dropping a weapons tier because you literally don't have access to facilities which can grind laser lenses to sufficiently high standards anymore. Which would also make the ships you still have with old tech even more valuable.

I really gotta play Emperor of the Fading Suns one of these days.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Conskill posted:

The Fading Suns setting proposes that extreme stratification of technology happens along an almost European medieval mindset (in fact, the setting is very much medieval Europe IN SPAAACE). The loss of galactic civilization pounded a giant reset button for the vast majority of humanity, which live in low-tech squalor, while just barely enough technological knowledge has been retained (and jealously guarded) by craft-guilds to keep spaceships running for their ultra-rich patrons/nobility.

I'll grant it's not realistic, but it's fun. The whole setting is basically Dune and Warhammer 40k had a baby and got it baptized Catholic.

Hopefully the priest used this bible during the baptism.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FAding Suns is good poo poo. Imagine living on a giant space habitat that nobody knows how to maintain.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

BadOptics posted:

Hopefully the priest used this bible during the baptism.

Clicked for Orange Catholic Bible. Was not disappointed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Demiurge4 posted:

FAding Suns is good poo poo. Imagine living on a giant space habitat that nobody knows how to maintain.

Yeah...imagine

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah...imagine

Hah!

:smith:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
????

Has something happened to the International Space Station or something?

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Pretty sure they mean Earth, what with us killing it and all.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Noir89 posted:

Pretty sure they mean Earth, what with us killing it and all.

Mother nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quiet because she's losing! Well I say hard cheese.

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007
Mother Nature plays a long game.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pfft. She just waits for an asteroid or supervolcano or something and wins by technicality.

That's loving geology love, not nature. Get over yourself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tooterfish posted:

Pfft. She just waits for an asteroid or supervolcano or something and wins by technicality.

That's loving geology love, not nature. Get over yourself.

Well if the spaceport won't kill the asteroid and the fleet is on the other side of the map...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Wiz, if you're still with us in this thread, would you consider implementing more pre-made starting systems like Sol and Deneb? Because what I would really like is a tomb world start for use with machine empires. Due to their perfect habitability traits it wouldn't harm them at all, and it would explain why there are only robots around and how their civilization came to be. Might be a good place for a custom introductory text, too.

You know, this might even go well together with a rogue servitor start if the trophy species starts as 'very adaptable'. The theme for the early game would basically be 'Our creators ruined themselves, so we forcibly took over to save the last of them and now we are looking for a new homeland to settle them in'.

Does this premise sound interesting to anyone else?

• Locked thread